Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

T-rex 600 good for a beginner?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

T-rex 600 good for a beginner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 08:24 AM
helibutt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: T-rex 600 good for a beginner?

[&o][&o][&o] BarracudaHockey, when you say X9303, do you mean the transmitter by JR brand? I'm looking at the X9303 line. Is this JR X9303 supposed to be better than DX7? How's JR X9303 compared to Futaba's 2.4GHz line? Is JR better than Futaba? Which one of the 2.4GHz system better among DX7, JR X9303, or Futaba's? I don't mind paying for a good radio system upfront then keep using it forever. Besides I'll probably fly at a park, so I don't want any radio interference. I don't want to compromise on public safety. Please advise. Thank you sir.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:38 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: helibutt

Maybe I'll get both Trex 450 and Raptor 50, and crash them both, how's that? I see a real personal benefits of getting a Trex 450 SE V2, which is the ability that I could fly at a park behind my house after work on weekdays. I can't fly Raptor nitro unless I drive 25 miles out to the flying field. So I could only fly the Raptor over weekends. This translates to less time in actual flying as practice & only the simulator practice on weekdays if I get a Titan......I don't think I can sleep tonight. Ideally though I should probably have both electric 450 and gas Raptor. They handle differently for their sizes and power. I could do an electric on weekdays, then a real gas one at a flying field on weekends. Thank you for your input, TEX. [&o][&o][&o]
This is a pretty good solution. When you go to the club field to fly, you can fly and refuel, fly and refuel all day long. Brother #2 does just that. He uses his 600 in his back yard all week long. When we go to the club field (an hour away for us) he uses his Hirobo 50.

Me? I fly my electric planes and sailplanes. I fly my 450 and get picked on by Brother #1 because I am too chicken to flip it.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:50 AM
heli_Rod

when you say X9303, do you mean the transmitter by JR brand?
JR is the brand and XP9303 is the model. The 9303 is a 9 channel, 30 model memory capable, 3 mode (Airplane, sailplane, helicoper) radio.

The Spektrum DX7 is a 7 channel, 20 model memory, 3 mode radio.

These radios come in heli or airplane versions, meaning they have the switches configured for either airplanes or heli, but can be used for both configurations.

If you decide to go with the T-Rex 450, you will need small servos. JR will allow you to equip the system to way you want on their FLEX-EQUIP menu.

The JR9303 is an excellent radio. It has more features than you can imagine. The Spektrum's software is JR based and is about the same as their old 8103 radios were. The 9303 has a lot more features than the spektrum, such as 7 point throttle and pitch curves where as the Spektrum has 5 point curves. It's not a big deal until you get into fine tuning for advanced flight manuvers. The 9303 also has a lot more mixing capability.

Between the 9303 and the DX7, the 9303 wins hands down , however you are comparing apples to oranges here. The XP9303 2.4 is $729.99 and the Dx7 is $349.99.

I have both radios and love them!

Now.....we are now comparing Chevys to Ford when it comes to brands. JR Vs Futaba? Both are excellent radios and you can't go wrong with either brand. If you are unfamiliar with computer radios, buying what someone in your area has that might be able to help you get it set-up. Everyone has their own favorites and I won't even begin to persuade you to select a brand. Just do some research on the features and prices you want and go with "what you want" not what everyone else wants you to buy.

I hope that helps a little.

Rod
Old 09-07-2007, 11:04 AM
helibutt

Hi Heli Rod, your info helped a lot. Thank you for being specific. That helps. I prefer a JR or Futaba radio because I am familiar with the brands. I'd get a 9 channel XP9303 if I go for JR, but if I want to choose a Fubaba 2.4GHz, one similar to the JR XP9303 specs caliber, what model by Futaba would you recommend? I want to get one that won't outgrow on me as I keep using it for a few years as I get better with a few helis. Thank you again.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:09 AM
helibutt

VinceHerman, I think realistically I'll first get probably T-rex 450, then Raptor 50 after that. What transmitter would you recommend? Do you use a JR or a Futaba? [&o]
Old 09-07-2007, 11:49 AM
VinceHerman

FUTABA!

I think at last count, 10 of our heli group are using the Futaba 9C. But the Spektrum models are taking over.

I do love the programmability of the 9C for my various aircraft. But you can get that same in a JR. And I do not think anyone rightly says that the 9C is easy to program. Oh, I can do it. But there are a bunch of us here that I can ask.

Rod is right. Ford/Chevy

Buy all the transmitter you can afford. As the old saying goes - Buy cheap, buy twice.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:29 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

The 9c is easy to program.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:42 PM
VinceHerman

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

The 9c is easy to program.

Just as I suspected. You ain't right.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:43 PM
badazzbusa
My Feedback: (1)

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSBX1&P=0
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRUB9&P=0

For a 2.4 Futaba radio you have 2 choices, they do make a 6ch but I would recommend to atleast get the 7 channel radio. Ofcourse they won't be avaliable until October.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:45 AM
SteveCink

I wonder if there are some other cheaper 450's or maybe the Trex 450 is actually worth the cost difference in the long run. I am in the same boat going from coax to wanting to learn on a ccpm
Old 09-08-2007, 06:01 AM
heli_Rod

My philosophy is simple and has worked for me. "Buy the best you can afford at the time". As with most things, you get what you pay for. The less expensive T-Rex will still be a nice heli to learn on. Align makes nice equipment, no matter the level you decide on. Money is a major factor for a lot of people trying to make a selection, but you can always upgrade a little at a time when you want.

While I personally haven't flown a lot of other brands of 450 size helis, I can say the Align T-Rex 450 just plain oozes quality! Is the T-Rex 450 SE V2 worth the money?....it is to ME...to someone else it may not be. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Rod
Old 09-08-2007, 11:01 AM
helibutt

SteveCink, I've been asking around people, reading, researching. I got the impression, if we want a 450 class electric heli, the T-rex 450 is kind a like the standard. Sure there are indeed available cheaper models of 450 size with hits & misses in quality, but they come with compromises in build-quality, material used, & flight characteristics.

I'm not sure if you read my earlier posts. I'm a complete beginner. I don't own a heli. I've been only practicting with RealFlight simulator since the last year. Now I want to get a real "hobby quality" helicopter to really learn about it, instead of getting a toy. Then when I asked the people in this forum, they practically all say to get a T-rex 450 variant. The reason is quality is good, it flies good, less costly to fix after breaking it, chepter to mainatin.....unless you want to go for a Titan 50 or T-rex 600.

Heli Rod is probably right. Pick the best you can afford....he means including the maintainance and fixing costs. I can't decide.......Just shoot me.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:35 PM
dominoekid

tex you seem to have a lot of knowledge on helicopters. i have a schluter scout 60. it has a .061 engine and 2.4gh receiver witha gy401 gyro. it is about 15 yr old only flown a dozen times no damage, just upgraded radio and gyro. i was told i was crazy to fly it especialy while learning. what would you say it was worth??
thanks mike
Old 09-10-2007, 07:15 AM
heli_Rod

dominoekid, The only problem with flying the Schluter Scout helis is going to be finding parts. I flew Schluter for years and loved every one of them. They were great helis in their day. The Superior was my favorite Schluter heli. You can learn on the Scout as well as any other helicopter available. All Schluters had pretty decent flying qualities, with maybe the exception of the Mini Boy. If you have access to parts or can make new ones yourself, then I'd fly it. If you can't get parts, them you may be finished after the first crash.

These old helis don't have much value except to maybe a collector. There are so many new, inexpensive helis on the market that fly better and are cheaper to repair (let alone just finding parts).

Fly it until there's nothing left to fly then go get a new kit!....LOL

Rod
Old 09-12-2007, 01:25 AM
edith228

2.4GHz Recording Wireless Receiver Portable & Moving Player,you could refer to :
http://www.rc-spareparts.com/24ghz-r...r-p-1593.html;)