Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Dumb old guy needs help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Dumb old guy needs help

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 01:13 AM
Osio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb old guy needs help

Ok, first of all I am not dumb... kinda. anyway, I can do rolling loops and circles with an rc airplane BUT... I now am the proud owner of a esky lama v3 helicopter. I have gotten it off the ground 30 or 40 times about 2 ft high and thats about it. I did trim the transmitter to stop the tail from going in circles and stop the slidding left and right and the forward and rearward motion in pretty good adjustment. So I can now under my command, rotate it, slide the the left or right, go forward and back, and up and down. BUT I cannot make it go in a simple circle. Is there any source that will tell this secret for a coaxial type heli?? I know, it sounds so stupid.
When you quit laughing please help me. I am old and crippled up but I won't quit this till I succeed.
Thanks
Osio
Old 11-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Osio

Default RE: Dumb old guy needs help

Hey, I did find a 240 page beginner's manual on xheli.com. It is a pdf file which I downloaded and I am quite impressed with it. It starts out at you getting the idea to try helicopters and slowly works up through about everything. I hope this will help. I still will appreciate any tips.
Thanks
Osio

'Osio' means 'hello' in cherokee.)
Old 11-17-2007, 01:18 PM
Wolfpackin

Right stick forward (elevator) while giving left stick (rudder) left or right input will make the heli fly in a circle.
You need to give it ample forward input and a small amout of rudder input.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Osio

Thanks wolfpackin
I appreciate it. I was still flying a plane I guess. I need a chair with rudder peddles and I would be in great shape. Wow, feels like i am giving it down elevator, increasing the throttle, and adding rudder. This is gonna take a while. I think I will wait on my simulator to arrive in a few days.
Thanks again
Osio
Old 11-17-2007, 11:47 PM
Wolfpackin

My pleasure.
I actually have the E-flite CX2 not the Esky Lama but they are very similar.
Both are very stable and I don't think a sim is really necessary but maybe with your airplane experience it would be helpful in untraining your old flight habits.
Remember, pushing the right stick up/forward is not down, like an airplane, it is forward.

Start out slowly, trying for a stable hover. Use the trim tabs so no control input is needed in order to hover in place.
Then practice turning left and right, left stick (rudder). Then add forward flight, right stick up, and keep the tail toward you as it is easier to stay oriented.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:06 AM
Osio

well wolfpackin, you make it sound pretty easy. I am having a hard time stopping my right thumb from trying to add aleron even when I am consentrating on keeping my right thumb only moving up and down (or I guess its forward and back). Oh well, one old saying from the full size flying world won't apply anymore... "Pull back to go up, further back to go down!" That just brought up interesting point... a helicopter stalling??, I'l have to think about that for a while.
Have a nice thanksgiving and I hope you can share it with all your loved ones. In fact, that goes for everyone in the forum!
Thanks
Osio
Old 11-18-2007, 12:24 AM
Wolfpackin

Osio,

Thanks for the well wishes, same to you and yours.

Most important is to get the heli trimmed for a stable hover so that when you give it throttle it lifts and hovers with no directional movement.
Try the Esky forum here under electric helicopters.
If the guys there are half as good as the regulars in the E-flite forum you will get a lot of help.
If you don't get responses go ahead and post in the E-flite forum because many members have both the lama and CX2.
You'll get it, just take baby steps.

I had zero RC experience when I got my CX2, OK I had a little airhogs heli for a couple of weeks first, I just took it slow and got the basics down. It will come, and soon you'll wonder why you ever thought it was hard.

It's funny, just last week I was flying for a friend of mine who owns and pilots a small airplane. When I showed him that pushing the elevator control forward makes the heli go forward he said "whoa, that's really strange.". Flat, steady turns freaked him out a little too.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:18 PM
Osio

Wolfpackin...
Thanks man, I just managed to circle my front room 2 times to the left and then 3 times to the right. Your instructions to apply forward travel and then just use the rudder really helped. I concentrate on that and I even kept my right thumb from moving left or right. Man this is great.
Do those black marks all around the room on the wall will clean off?? (just kidding).
Thanks to you and all you guys, I have now made at least a baby stepl.
Man, I am pathetic, doesn't take much to thrill me.
Osio
Old 11-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Osio

Thanks wolfpackin
I just read your last comments, I got the idea I might be in the wrong forum. I have been putting this in the "rc helcopters beginners forum". Is this ok? I thought maybethe 'Esky' sub forum was only for questions specific to the 'esky' products and not general beginners question. I want to do this correctly and appreciate any guidance available.
By the way, my email address is posted, feel free to use it at any time. Like I have said, someone in my situation appreciates a conversation on any subject at any time. I do talk halfway intelligent about real plane flying (I'm was a multi-engine flight instructor, almost 10,000 hour comercial pilot, successful computer programmer, inventor, I have a metal shop and am biulding a 1 horse engine from scrap metal (spark plug and all), and an old coot.. oops, thats what my wife calls me. lol
Thanks again
Osio
Old 11-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Wolfpackin

Osio,

No problem at all posting here in the beginners forum. I just figured that very soon you will have lama specific questions that may be better answered in the Esky forum.
Post wherever you feel comfortable and get the best responses. I would advise reading some of the posts there, I see there are some lama v3 and v4 threads on the first page.
It is very likely that if you have a question, someone else has had the same question and the answers are there already.
Anyway, I'm glad I was able to help.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:34 AM
antax

thanks dude! IM just aboute to buy a lama..
is it anything you think i shuold know befoget start?
escuse my english

I