Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Heli stuff and fellowship

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Heli stuff and fellowship

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:55 AM
Magic Hook

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heli stuff and fellowship

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your service to all of us.

Congrats on your Century purchase. I dont know a lot about them but I do know that a 30 sized heli is very stable, long flight times, and good on fuel economy. Century was a good choice because there are tons of parts availbility and info on the net.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:40 PM
flyachopper1

Chris,
Glad you found us and welcome, welcome. We definitely appreciate your service to us and that of all your compadres too. Please tell them there are a bunch of folks here that really thank them and bring them all home with you. Stick around and these guys will have you flying a good machine. There's some 'old' military veterans on here that you can call brothers.

Starcop,
Your hangar is filling up fast. You're going to need to find pilots to help you fly them all. I'm betting the volunteers will line up around the corner. Look for red hair in the line and that's me.

Magic,
That's a good point and I should have been more clear on it. The FAA determines and enforces the qualifications and each state is allowed to add any or ratify any that they determine are necessary to the flying conditions in their state. I.E.-types of terrain, common weather conditions, overall concentration of air traffic, etc. Of course this allows the states to add fees so they get a piece of the revenue generated. Ultimately your license is issued by the FAA and is tagged in your file for which states honor it. There is also a program to allow adding riders allowing one to certify for the requirements in other states. It can get complicated. An after thought here, My older brother reminded me yesterday that I'm thinking in terms of a commercial license for flying as a business. Private licensing is a lot different. My license is called a commercial license but does not qualify me to fly the big commercial jets. Just to fly the types of work and aircraft I do for money. When I retest I have to submit a list of the states I want to fly in and they test me on all the requirements for those states. I also have to present proof of a bond covering any damages that might occur. I'm bonded by Mutual of Omaha for 1 million dollars. These are not required to fly as a private pilot for my own pleasure. I can fly anywhere in the continental US for pleasure. Like I mentioned it can get complicated. Typical of anything ran by a govt. agency. I didn't lose any certifications by moving to different states, just had to add their particular requirements to my training.

Speaking of the FAA, I gotta go help Ames get the black beauty ready for a physical. I have a "date" with an inspector at 3 PM. Get to fire up the old hot rod '64' ford F100 today and run around in her a bit (fun) as the car is in for new tires. Don't get the hot rod out much these days and I'm looking forward to "styling" around in it a bit. At eight miles to the gallon I better stop at the bank first.

Got all the new bearings in the T Rex yesterday and last night. They all seem smooth. Still waiting on word on the Timken bearings.

Later all.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:18 PM
starcop

Man, leave it to your wife to throw your AMA card away. I told her not to throw out all the junk mail till I could see it all. I called wondering where my new card was and they sent it out, back on the 6TH of last month. (I even told her!) She threw it out! Geesh. So they sent me another, gee I wonder if it will ever show up. starcop

How cool is this. Horizon Hobbies sent me a full wing set for my Hangar 9 P-51 Mustang; because the landing gear block broke internally when I first plugged the wire gear in. So I was able to peal back the mono-kote and re-glue the block back in place. Then I just re-sealed the mono-kote "as if I was never in there", now I have 2 full sets of wings! Now all I need is a fusalage and I'd have enough parts to build a new Mustang. I have the tail sections and wings, landing gear. I'm going to buy an extra fusalage and build a Mustang with a .60 size motor. Guys that put the O.S .55 AX say those planes "Book" (fly really fast). That will be cool to have an extra one for cheap.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:15 AM
mr2medic

Good Luck on the inspectiom, I guess i'll have to wait on doing anything about a license until after i get out of the Army. Until then i'll just play with the little ones. I also need to take a second look at going flight warrant officer. That would be one sweet job to have. One other new question. About a year from now i'm going to be going to Fort Jackson, S.C. Does anyone know of a club near there? That way i could maybe get setup with some contact info a head of time.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:04 AM
drobin

mr2medic, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND going to flight warrant officer training.I went that way and I think that was the best thing I ever did.I retired as a W4 in 1985,after 26 years total.13 active 13 reserves.And Warrant Officers seem to have a different type of respect from higher ranking officers.I got my commercial license but never looked for a flying job.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:36 AM
dooleyje

ORIGINAL: mr2medic

Good Luck on the inspectiom, I guess i'll have to wait on doing anything about a license until after i get out of the Army. Until then i'll just play with the little ones. I also need to take a second look at going flight warrant officer. That would be one sweet job to have. One other new question. About a year from now i'm going to be going to Fort Jackson, S.C. Does anyone know of a club near there? That way i could maybe get setup with some contact info a head of time.
The Carolinas is almost the RC capital of the south (Florida would be number one) with virtually 3 and 4 clubs in every city. I would go to the AMA web site and look there for a club. Get on the clubs web page and see what they have to offer. Any good club will have an AMA charter and will be listed.

Jim
Old 07-17-2008, 09:56 AM
dooleyje

ORIGINAL: drobin

mr2medic, I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND going to flight warrant officer training.I went that way and I think that was the best thing I ever did.I retired as a W4 in 1985,after 26 years total.13 active 13 reserves.And Warrant Officers seem to have a different type of respect from higher ranking officers.I got my commercial license but never looked for a flying job.
I got my commercial multi ticket in the late '70s and did a lot of ferrying for for dealers, flew golf trips around the south east. I did a little instruction work, no money in it so I returned to music. I did some corporate work for a while but hated it. Just like Jays recent problems with JR executive jerks I to parked and locked up an airplane because a couple of them wanted to fly but the weather was at min for IFR with Icing and I refused to fly it. Always toooo much baggage and drunk. I also did some right seat work for some mail (checks) folks and that was ok fun if you don't mind flying a rattle trap Beech18. The ferrying work was the best. Delivering brand spankin new Cessnas and Beechs and Pipers to dealers . I have lost medical recently so I do not fly any more. I recieved my training through the GI bill so my training was not out of pocket. Take advantage of the benefits. I think the GI's get over $35,000 for school now.
Jim
Old 07-17-2008, 09:57 AM
chris6414
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I fired up the Hawk yesterday and she seemed to be hot so I looked and found some styro peanuts from the shipping down in the cooling duct next to the head. After I ground turned her for about 3 minutes (No blades and only 1/4 throttle to make sure everything mechanical was GTG) I trhew the blades on and went for a FCF. She was so stable and my curves seemed to be spot on. She had a wicked Vibe so I set her down and pulled her in the hanger for a inspect. Turns out the main shaft was bent, but luckily the guy I bought it off off sent two brand new ones with it. It was super easy to replace as well. I went ahead and double checked the paddles and one was 4 MM off center and balanced the blades and they were within 1-2 tenths of a gram. Not sure what the spec is but that seemed GTG with the digi scale I had. I figure + or - .1 gram for accuracy. I just took two 600 MAh packs and am making a 1200 Nicad(parallel) They are both Futabas so should work fine. She is tail heavy with no fuel so I needed the extra weight up front to get balanced. The EFlite G90 dual mode gyro with the JR810G is a good combo and holds great. The motor is strong and sounds like she is tuned good. 15% Cool power, good smoke,idle and throttle response. I didn't really push it for the test hop with it vibing. I will hopefully have her back up today for another test of the tracking. I also need to open the tail gear box and take a peek at the gears. Lithium grease work well for Delron gears? I though about the metal gear mod, but don't think I need it. I am strictly a scale flier. I can't afford learning 3D. I do want to do the triple bearing, tail mod as the stockers have some slop in them but still fly fine. He also sent me an extra gear box and tail hub so I may swap it out as the other feels a little tighter(grip side to side movement). I love this hobby!!!!

Chris
Old 07-17-2008, 12:55 PM
flyachopper1

Mrmedic,
I would bet the military has programs for taking pilot training toward a private license. I don't know what they call them now but they were called education and training officers when I was in. Try to find out who that is with your group. Any officer should know and can get you in touch. If you're going to be stateside soon you can probably get set up for lessons. Definitely go for the warant officer program if you can but keep in mind that warrant officer candidates are expected to be career oriented.

Go to http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx for a list of the No. Carolina r/c clubs. These are the AMA chartered clubs and their members will likely know of any other clubs. Also there are sources on the RCU site to find clubs.

Chris,
I don't know for sure if it needs to be done, but, whenever I bench test run or break in a nitro motor I mount an airplane hub and prop on the shaft. This gives the motor a little load to work with and moves some cooling air across it. Plus, the motor should be run up and down in rpms and allowed to idle in between revs. I could be off on this as all my nitro motors are old and the new ones may have different requirements. I would run mine up to where it sounds like it's running smooth at a good flying rpm and hold it there for 60 seconds, bring it down just as if you were landing and let it idle for 60 seconds. Repeat this for fifteen minutes, shut it down and let it cool. I would do this until I logged about 45 minutes of running time total. This was the recommended method when I was breaking in motors and must have worked. I'm still running all the original motors and have never blown one. Somewhere in my 'stuff' I have a wooden test stand I built to mount the motors on for the break in. I made a wire about four feet long to connect to the throttle lever with a loop in it so I could operate the throttle manually and keep a little distance betweem myself and the motor. Didn't need a servo, battery or rx & tx to break them in. I didn't even put them in an aircraft until after the break in. The little stand could be clamped down so it didn't move around from torque effect. Probably overkill but that kept the motor out in the open and I could access all parts of it easier than if it's mounted in an air frame.

If break in is different or easier with the newer motors someone please educate me on that. I do plan to get some new motors in the near future and if they are broken in differently I really need to know. There is a plane pilot here that doesn't bother breaking in motors, but he seems to lose a lot of them to internal damages. He blames dirty fuel or something else all the time and I'm kinda doubting that. I ticked him off one day when I sarcastically commented that he must store his fuel in a bucket under the porch. I know, I was a smart -ss. Just seemed to me that his excuses were kinda lame and buck passing.

The black beauty passed her physical with flying colors. Of course. I have Ames to thank for that. He keeps her in top condition for me. The inspector came out of Omaha and was a real cool guy. Didn't stress about anything, was straightforward and honest. He was very complimentary about the condition of my bird and was very impressed with Ames' shop and staff. Brought a huge box of doughnuts with him and passed it all around the shop and hangar. He's a retired Air Force major and loves helicopters. Ames showed off his T Rex to him and he was fascinated with it. The weather here has kept me grounded all morning but is clearing now so I better get out and knock out one more flight over the river country for the state. More storms are expected early this evening. Dang, it's been a rowdy year here so far. The storms are violent and numerous. My plan today is to fly East out of here along the South Platte River for 150 miles and spend the night in a city called Grand Island and then fly back this way tomorrow (weather permitting). Finally got the first paycheck from the work in Okie City. Oh my! Atsa good un'. I feel like I'm actually making a living now. Steaks are on me.

Having fun here but gotta go, gotta go.

Later all
Old 07-17-2008, 01:10 PM
chris6414

The Motor is not new and has about 10 flights on it before I got it. I just wanted to run her up some as she hadn't been started in a year and that OS ran great. I even richend it up some to ensure she was getting enough Lube as these ringed engines can take quite a few runs to break in. I have been flying planes for about 16 years and always gently break all my motors in regardless of what everyone else does. I have some older FP motors from when I first started. I'm hoping I can get her in the air again tonight after work to get tracking and balance signed off.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:34 PM
dooleyje

ORIGINAL: flyachopper1

Mrmedic,
I would bet the military has programs for taking pilot training toward a private license. I don't know what they call them now but they were called education and training officers when I was in. Try to find out who that is with your group. Any officer should know and can get you in touch. If you're going to be stateside soon you can probably get set up for lessons. Definitely go for the warant officer program if you can but keep in mind that warrant officer candidates are expected to be career oriented.

Go to http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx for a list of the No. Carolina r/c clubs. These are the AMA chartered clubs and their members will likely know of any other clubs. Also there are sources on the RCU site to find clubs.

Chris,
I don't know for sure if it needs to be done, but, whenever I bench test run or break in a nitro motor I mount an airplane hub and prop on the shaft. This gives the motor a little load to work with and moves some cooling air across it. Plus, the motor should be run up and down in rpms and allowed to idle in between revs. I could be off on this as all my nitro motors are old and the new ones may have different requirements. I would run mine up to where it sounds like it's running smooth at a good flying rpm and hold it there for 60 seconds, bring it down just as if you were landing and let it idle for 60 seconds. Repeat this for fifteen minutes, shut it down and let it cool. I would do this until I logged about 45 minutes of running time total. This was the recommended method when I was breaking in motors and must have worked. I'm still running all the original motors and have never blown one. Somewhere in my 'stuff' I have a wooden test stand I built to mount the motors on for the break in. I made a wire about four feet long to connect to the throttle lever with a loop in it so I could operate the throttle manually and keep a little distance betweem myself and the motor. Didn't need a servo, battery or rx & tx to break them in. I didn't even put them in an aircraft until after the break in. The little stand could be clamped down so it didn't move around from torque effect. Probably overkill but that kept the motor out in the open and I could access all parts of it easier than if it's mounted in an air frame.

If break in is different or easier with the newer motors someone please educate me on that. I do plan to get some new motors in the near future and if they are broken in differently I really need to know. There is a plane pilot here that doesn't bother breaking in motors, but he seems to lose a lot of them to internal damages. He blames dirty fuel or something else all the time and I'm kinda doubting that. I ticked him off one day when I sarcastically commented that he must store his fuel in a bucket under the porch. I know, I was a smart -ss. Just seemed to me that his excuses were kinda lame and buck passing.

The black beauty passed her physical with flying colors. Of course. I have Ames to thank for that. He keeps her in top condition for me. The inspector came out of Omaha and was a real cool guy. Didn't stress about anything, was straightforward and honest. He was very complimentary about the condition of my bird and was very impressed with Ames' shop and staff. Brought a huge box of doughnuts with him and passed it all around the shop and hangar. He's a retired Air Force major and loves helicopters. Ames showed off his T Rex to him and he was fascinated with it. The weather here has kept me grounded all morning but is clearing now so I better get out and knock out one more flight over the river country for the state. More storms are expected early this evening. Dang, it's been a rowdy year here so far. The storms are violent and numerous. My plan today is to fly East out of here along the South Platte River for 150 miles and spend the night in a city called Grand Island and then fly back this way tomorrow (weather permitting). Finally got the first paycheck from the work in Okie City. Oh my! Atsa good un'. I feel like I'm actually making a living now. Steaks are on me.

Having fun here but gotta go, gotta go.

Later all
DOS XX are on me!

Jim
Old 07-19-2008, 06:32 AM
GunCobra

Guys there are some useful tips for you to look at and perhaps it will help

http://howtoflyhelicopters.blogspot.com/
Old 07-20-2008, 12:57 AM
flyachopper1

Hey aeronoids,
Well, the state should know where the rivers are now. Wrapped up flying them today for this time around. I'm at the point now where I can take some time off. Everything is caught up. Have some aerial survey work to do for the railroad out over Wyoming the second week in August and back to Okie City for a week in early September. It's turned hot here and is averaging above 90 F every day. It's nice to get some distance between me and the ground and get up where it's cooler.

Had time to finish up the bearing install and do some final tweaking on the T Rex today. About an hour tomorrow and I'll be taking it out for some flying. The LiPos are all charged and I'm hoping to run out several of them. Gonna be hot again tomorrow so I'm shooting for mid morning to fly. Still haven't heard back from the bearing co. here about the timken bearings. I may give them a call tomorrow and remind them I'm waiting. Not a big deal though. Even if they can get me all the sizes I won't change them out until the new Align bearings give out. Found out this time around that a small hairdryer provides plenty of heat to get bearings out and back into bearing blocks. Kinda nice not having to worry about the high heat of a heat gun damaging anything and the blocks were'nt so hot I couldn't handle them. And, heating the blocks to install new bearings let them drop right in without any tapping. Just a little pressure with my fingers seated them perfectly. No worries about the kind of damage I caused last time driving them in with a small mallet. I still think that was what caused the mainshaft bearings to go bad so soon. I can see obvious distortion of the outer bearing casing on one of them that lines up with the edge of the stainless tubing I used as a driver tool. Like a cute little gal we all know would say, "ya learnt one there, didn't ya"?

Speaking of the cute gal. We're going to get together for a week starting Aug. 2nd to see how things go. Should be good.

Chris,
Sounds like you've got yourself a good bird going there and you're getting the gremlins worked out. Your bent mainshaft has given me second thoughts on my T Rex. Since it was a mainshaft bearing that went bad on it I best recheck the shaft to be sure it's not bent. I'll roll it on some glass in the morning and give it a good look. I laid in a lot of spare parts a while back and have new mainshafts so if it's not right I can slap in a new one right away. Thanks for the afterthought. Not sure about the lithium grease my self. The only gear driven tails I have are on some pretty old machines. They are torque wire driven and once assembled they are sealed. I open them up occasionaly to check things and the original grease is still there. I don't know what kind it is. It's greyish white in color and feels kind of sticky on my fingers. All my gears are still tight and in good shape. I've had to replace a couple of the torque wires before but they cinch in form the outside at both ends with set screws. Don't have to disturb the gears to change them out. I make my own out of stainless wire. Hmmm-all this talk about the nitros has me wanting to shop for a newer one. I need to get to know the new technology in them anyway.

Hey-have any of you seen pics of the new T Rex 700 yet? I saw one on a display stand in Backyard Flyer Magazine. It was being shown at the Align vendors booth at an r/c expo in Ohio. Whoa now, what a bird. It's huge. Looks like you could give your dog a ride in it. Can't wait to see one flying.

Jd,
Yah, steaks and Dos XX. Sounds real good. I think that'll be on the menu for tomorrow evening.

Gun Cobra,
Glad to see you found us. Come back again. I read that blog and it's good info. There's some techniques in there that I'm going to give a try.

Gotta get some sleep. I'm feeling the last two days work tonight. Gotta let the old body catch up some.

See you all later.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:05 AM
David867

Hey Jay,
That's a great tip about the hair dryer, I'll be using that instead of the hammer routine. Won't be causing damage that way for sure.
Hope you have a good time with Donica! Let her know we say high.

I've seen some videos of the 700 fly(By Szabo), it's insane! Then again, he makes everything look insane.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:27 AM
starcop

Hello Members, I performed the Maiden flight yesterday with a flawless take-off and landing. It was so beautiful to see the tail lift up and 30 feet after that I was sailing up-ward. I literally only had to click ailerons 2 clicks and she was true. Talk about an easy plane to fly; it's getting past the shaking and scared feeling, that's what I need to work on. Everyone said my knee's where shaking. But after spending a month building the kit, all I can think about when I'm building is "will it fly"? I hope I don't crash, and so on. Here are a couple pictures, it's hard to shoot a moving plane. starcop

The Taxi run, and tail end of the landing. I'm just getting ready to load up for another day of flying; this time I bring the video camera. So I can post my flights on youtube for buddies back in Montana. There's a small dot of my plane flying "Far Out".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99601.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	994041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85934.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	994042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84528.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	994043  
Old 07-20-2008, 07:53 PM
starcop

Hello Again, I had yet another Maiden flight, this time it was the Hangar 9 F-22 Raptor. At first it was getting it set-up correctly; the usual pre-test engine, hold the plane up, check flight controls, battery charge levels and so on. So I took-off had to set trim but found it to be "way-under-power", I would suggest if anyone buys one, run two full tanks at 3/4 to full throttle before your flight. So after performing a few cicles, it started to "wake up". Finally the engine started to produce flyable power. So I changed over to high rates and actually had fun. The plane perfomed flawlessly, I could even roll with the wing droops still in place. So it was about 15 minutes of flight and time to land. But there was a problem! I couldn't get low throttle; seems the engine set screw had vibrated in-ward while full throttle was on- so I had to come in 2/3 throttle and land. The plane touched down okay, but the kill switch wouldn't kill the engine; because it only moves the throttle valve only so far and it was stuck from the set screw. I filmed the whole thing but I can't get the darn computer to load 8MM hi to youtube, my camera is too old. But it continued off the end of the run-way and the grass eventually stopped it. It was blazeing away; still 2/3 throttle when I got to the plane, so I plugged the intake breather hole and that shut her down. But what a great 2 days of flying! Made several new friends, now I can call people to go flying with. This is definatly a hobby for life, now I just need to get my helicopters back; that's next! Gas and electric, I'd like to have both. I want a helicopter "like right now" but I have to finish planes first. Have a good one all, starcop

Name:	Yv66097.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	994336  
Old 07-20-2008, 09:11 PM
drobin

'If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to.'
Old 07-21-2008, 12:39 AM
flyachopper1

Hey cloud chasers,
Wow, what a morning of flying. The T Rex performed perfectly. It was smoother than it's ever been. The weather was perfect until about 10 AM and then it got rotten hot. I flew out six packs by then though and was ready for a break. I think I've finally gotten the Futaba 6EX 2.4 dialed in. All I had to do today was work the sticks and fly the bird. No messing with settings. Today was the first time I got to put much time on the new Align XL motor and it's perfect for the T Rex. It doesn't overheat at all as long as you use a heatsink. I'm running it with a 12 tooth pinion. The head speed seems to be just right. I started the day with the Align carbon fiber blades and they work reall good. On the fifth flight I switched to my new Radix blades and could see a big difference. Response was quicker to all stick inputs. They make a real cool sound too. Makes the heli sound powerful. It was overall a good day. Lots of flying, no crashes or breakdowns and got to impress some real cutie pie gals at the park. They were out there for their morning run wearing some of those skimpy little outfits that get husbands in trouble and cause pilots to crash their helis[sm=tongue_smile.gif]. I pretended to work on the heli for a while so I could get my looking and chit chatting done so I could concentrate on the flying[8D]. They hung around and watched for several flights and then took off on their run. Of course I had to land then and watch those tiny little blue and red shorts leave[sm=eek.gif]. I think I'll be back flying at that spot again[sm=thumbup.gif].

Well, so much for taking time off. The railroad has some kind of special thing going on and they are running an old restored passenger train through the Rockies starting in Colorado and running across Wyoming. Some kind of retracing of an old historic passenger route. They have invited all kinds of VIPs and celebrities to ride the train. They called me to do flyovers and take photos of the train enroute. Couldn't turn it down. The money is very good and I get to fly over my favorite mountains. At the end of the route in Wyoming they are throwing a big cookout party for the passengers and I'm invited. Can't turn that down either. Oh well, it's a tough life but I think I can get through it. I'll be leaving for Colorado Tuesday morning. The railroad rep I talked with said there is a good landing spot right next to where the party will be and I'm welcome to land there. She said if some of the people on the train were interested I was welcome to sell heli rides over the mountain countryside. I'll decide on that as the day goes. I'm not too fond of using the black beauty for that kind of stuff and as you all know I won't mix booze with flying. Not for me or the passengers. I'm taking the T Rex with me. Maybe I'll get to show it off at the cookout. If not I'll just get away by myself and fly it.

Gotta get shirts out of the dryer and get some computer stuff done for the business.

Keep em' up and under control.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:27 AM
chris6414

Hey guys, took the Hawk back up this weekend and tracked her blades. I swapped the main shaft and the vibe was still there only not as pronounced. I hovered around for a full tank and ran the motor through some throttle ups to check response with a couple of idles. The motor ran great with no signs of adjustment issues. I did have it too rich to start, as it was very hot this weekend. She flies beautifully and so scale like and I love the rotor sound! After a tank, I brought her back in the hanger and tore her down and pulled the swash to check it and sure enough, is was elongated and was wobbling. I just took a spare shaft and put it in a drill with the swash out and slide the shaft in and spooled it up slowly while watching the swash inner bearing and could see the wobble. It was most likely caused from flying with a bent shaft for awhile. I will also be upgrading the top and bottom main bearings with ABEC 3's or 5's if I can find them. I may even go for some ceramic Boca Bearings. The stockers had some play in them also from flying with a bent shaft for a bit. I upgraded my electric with some ABEC 3s and ceramics on the tail and it smoothed things out quit a bit. Working on them is half the fun!!!![&:]
Old 07-21-2008, 10:57 AM
dooleyje

Good for you Jay. We all need a good day of flying and I am glad you have it dialed in. Now likes PARTEEEEEEEEy.

Chris, yep you find things like that once in a while and thats the reason for preflight. Glad you found the source.

I too had several days of flying. Very hot here but the weather was super with dark blue colbalt skys. I did prang my CoptrX in upside down. Took my carbon blades out, main shaft, main gear, and a boom. Funny that I did not get a boom strike but the boom had a slight bow in it. My motor was running hot in the 95degree afternoon and it had plenty of power but upside down is would not bang out nor would it climb and maintain altitude inverted. I am going through it this morning to see what the problem was. I suspect a mis programing on the ESC. I will let you guys no. Yes!! even I will destroy one once in a while. I can tell you now that the TREX and Copterx are some tuff little birds. I just need to stop trying the stuff the young guys are doing. We oldster don't see so well anymore LOL. Well, thats my excuse and I'm sticking with it. I am off for a test flight to see if I fixed it.

Total cost of the crash was about $50 but $39 of it was for my carbon blades.

Jim
Old 07-21-2008, 11:57 AM
starcop

Hi Jim, No it's the reflex time, we've slowed down a bit, that's my exscuse; I can't spell today. Sounds great everyone had a great weekend. Sorry to hear about the miss-hap Jim; but even the pros have there day. Get her fixed up, I know I need to still pick mine up from the hobby store. I've been learning all kinds of tips and tricks from a guy at my club, he's been flying R/C for years. So he's taken me under his wing and is showing me how to do things "The right way", sure makes flying much more fun. Super nice guy, loves the hobby and help other be safe and fly well. So I'm playing with my aircraft until I have it down "patend". Have a good one everyone, keep on flyin. starcop
Old 07-21-2008, 03:30 PM
Magic Hook

Sounds like everyone got their "flying fix" in this weekend. Thats awesome.

Flyachopper, I know you fly over Gods Country all the time but that flying site sounds very like it pretty easy on the eyes. Glad you knew how to work through the distractions and fly without any ground attacks.

I had to work Saturday and Sunday there was a double birthday party for my mother and grandson here. It was a nice day with everyong here but I though there would be no flying. I was wrong. Late afternoon one of my son in laws asked "When's the airshow?". Now this guy has had ZERO interest in RC since ever. My other son in law has a Venture 30 but its down needing a clutch. I ignored the comment until my wife gave me the "look". I am pretty new at heli's and more than a bit shakey with someone watching let alone fifteen setting around in lawn chairs. I started with my 450 doing some piro's and ff. Then picked it up with fff, stall turns with double piros in the ends, circles, and a couple of low passes. I managed a couple of nose in hovers, and then backward flight both ways. I ended it with rolls in fff, stationary rolls, and a flip. They even aplauded! My heart was in my throat but I did not let em see me sweat. LOL

I had to work a half day today but my 600e was waiting when I got home for her maiden flight. All went well. Its bigger that a 500 that is for sure. I need to put in some expo, but everything else was spot on. I am a happy camper. LOL Here is a pic of it. For those wondering how big a 600 is, that is a 95 Lb. Lab laying right behind it. I tried something with the battery. I built a parralle plug and put two of my 6s 3000 mah batterys I use in my 500 in the 600e giving me basicly a 6s 6000 mah pack. I did only basic hover for 5 minutes on the first flight. They only took back 1000 mah so flight time looks promising. The pic shows 3300 mah packs, I have not flown with those yet, T storms are brewing at the moment.

Name:	Vt58741.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	994998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44802.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	994999  
Old 07-21-2008, 04:10 PM
mr2medic

Nice Heli Magic. Sounds like you might have got someone slightly interested in R/C. Your lab reminds me of mine except she isn't 90 pounds. i just wish i was allowed to have dogs in the barracks. i miss not having a dog. And all this reading of everyone's heli exploits makes me want the trex more and more. and the longer i sit waiting for the free funds the more i want a 500 or 600 size heli
Old 07-21-2008, 04:46 PM
[]TEX[]

Magic, what is the C rating on those packs? They need to be a min of 25C and 50C burst. Lower mAh rated packs don't fair well on the 600. Just some friendly advice, but I think just some hovering won't hurt them.

Looks nice BTW.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Magic Hook

Tex, Thanks I appreciate that. Alway's trying to learn. The 3000s' are the Maxamp packs, and 25C, and the 3300's are 25-30C. I dont know the burst. I better check that out! Later I hope to change the motor / esc and try some 8s and 10s setups.

MrMedic, Thanks for the kind words. Our Lab is one of the family, life would not be the same without him. We have had Labs for 22 years. This one acts just like a kid. Here is my .02 cents worth on size. I have not flown the 600 so my experience is limited on that. The cost between a 450 and a 500 is about 200 bucks. the 500 is twice as big. But the packs cost more, parts are not much more. That said the 500 fly's big, lots bigger that a 450. Prospective, wind, speed, and power all excellent. You can fly the 500 just about any place you can fly a 450, the 500 is still pretty portable. I fly my 450 a lot, but if I had to pick one, and cost was a big factor the 500 would be my choice. The 600 is awesome, but one thing its not is cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.