Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Heli stuff and fellowship

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Heli stuff and fellowship

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 09:56 AM
chris6414
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Heli stuff and fellowship

Wel,l it was absolutely beautiful out this morning and shot a 3 and half minute video of my Belt CP but my camera was set on 30FPS so it like 154MB and I could not up load it here. Will You Tube allow a bigger video.

I pulled the bearing out of the Hawk last night so I can get her back in the air quickly. That bearing center race had allot of play all around. Glad I caught it before I flew her again. I'll be tearing into the tail gear box as well this weekend. I'll be taking up the Twist this weekend as well. It is just going to be too nice
Old 07-26-2008, 08:08 PM
chris6414

All the parts came today for the Hawk, so I installed everything and checked her over and fired her up for an FCF. What a difference. She flies nice now. I did't have a chance to take her for a lap today due to the high winds but she took 10-15 MPH winds fine for a little hover checking. Gotta love a nitro!!
Old 07-26-2008, 08:12 PM
starcop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello People, Well my weekends pretty much shot! Last weekend I got a small cut on the end of my finger, "no big deal"; put a band-aid on it call it good. So a few days go by and it's starting to hurt, remove the band-aid and see a small white blister. So I open it up and drain the blister from a "small infection", probably from Fuel, putting gas in my airplanes. Well, yesterday after two emergency room visits, they had to poke my finger 1/4 inch and drain this infection out, like milking a cow. So I now I have a fever of 103, swetting like a fish, I haven't been this sick in years. Just from a little cut on my finger! I've had a million cuts just like it, but for some reason this one decides to get a major infection and about put me in the hospital. So I'm in bed all weekend on antbiotics, fluids. Have fun flying, man I just want this over with. [:'(] starcop
Old 07-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Magic Hook

Starcop, Get well soon. Fever sucks and so does loosing the weekend flying. Must be a moon phase as I injured my back and have not picked up a TX or done anything heli for four days.

I just saw your signature about your dad. We will add him to our prayers. Have faith, my mother had lung cancer last year. This year they cant find any on the tests and we leave for a cruise to Alaska next week with our whole family to celebrate.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:59 AM
maddog57

hey everyone,

yup, i'm still here, just been kicked back enjoying my vacation this past week. back to reality tomorrow! been working w/ my G2 and am finally getting the hang of it. almost to the point where i can hover w/o putting it in the dirt. think i've got 'er dialed in pretty good too. it lifts straight up, no spinning or pitching either way and that's w/ the training gear on.
Starcop, sorry to hear you're down w/ an infection. my father. a few years ago, got a rose bush thorne in his index finger and ended up, like you, in the hospital w/ a major infection. took about 2 wks. to clear up. hang in there, you'll get better.

yesterday my wife & i went to an RC air show in Old Forge, n.y.[ in the Adirondack mt. chain, nothern n.y.] put on by the Mountian RC club. was really cool. had some great planes in the air. only flew one heli, as it was real windy. don't know the brand, but it was a 600 nitro. that thing was sweet. pilot didn't do alot w/ it, i'm assuming cuz of the wind. at one point a real plane circled the grass runway and then landed, during the show! come to find out, it was the airport owner, but still, it didn't seem like a good time to want to land. so they had to pause the show to find out what was going on. after about a half hour, he took off and was gone.

the best part of this story is that they had a raffle and i won a Park Zone Typhoon 2, 3d air plane! couldn't believe it cuz normally i can't win a door prize! paid $5 for 6 tickets. RTF out of the box, just had to assemble it. has a 1800mah li-po, brushless motor, digital servos and a 72mhz TX/RX. checked the web site when i got home and it goes for $300! have it together and batt. charged, but haven't a clue how to fly it. figure i'll just give it a shot. soon as i download them, i'll post some photos for you to see.

hope everyone got to fly this weekend.

later, chris
Old 07-27-2008, 09:25 AM
starcop

Hi Guys, Thanks everyone. I'm feeling better, but it's still there; if I start moving around I'll get swetty and dizzy. Weird stuff, getting infection in your blood stream. I felt like I had a really bad flu, weak, swetting, chills, don't want to eat; just an over-all feel like crap! But I think the worst is over with. So I'm going to drive over to the club and see who's flying. I can't believe I missed a weekend of flying; I look so farward to my weekends. [] Oh well, I still have lots of them in the future. I hope everyone else besides me got to fly! Keep 'em inverted. later starcop
Old 07-27-2008, 11:30 AM
dooleyje

ORIGINAL: starcop

Hi Guys, Thanks everyone. I'm feeling better, but it's still there; if I start moving around I'll get swetty and dizzy. Weird stuff, getting infection in your blood stream. I felt like I had a really bad flu, weak, swetting, chills, don't want to eat; just an over-all feel like crap! But I think the worst is over with. So I'm going to drive over to the club and see who's flying. I can't believe I missed a weekend of flying; I look so farward to my weekends. [] Oh well, I still have lots of them in the future. I hope everyone else besides me got to fly! Keep 'em inverted. later starcop
Man,, Oh Man sounds like a staf infection and a touch of blood poison. Take care of your self.

I did something stupid yesterday. I am rebuilding my TrexSA. After well over 300 flights I went through it screw by screw and bearing by bearing. I found no worn parts!!!. The swash plate is metal cyclis ring with a plastic frame and is as tight and solid as it was when new. The heli is mostly plastic and the palstic parts hold up better than the metal TrexSEV2 or the Copterx. Down side is that it does not crash as well but the parts are dirt cheap. The stupid thing I did was to drop a washer down into my motor. Supposidly you can unscrew the can ends. I will need to buy some tools to do that. Has anyone ever been into an Align motor can? I was hoping to take it on the rode with me next week. The magnets are holding the washer in.

I was pleasently surprised as how the SA has held up to almost 1 year service and one crash, over 300 flights. See,, metal parts are not always the best solution. It realy floored me that the swash was in such good shape. Speaking of swashes. I researched the Beam swash and you can actually service the thing. The frame un- screws to let the ball and upper and lowerplastic bushing come out. You can also replace the big bearing. The swash is only $36 at Advantage Hobbies. The plastic bushings are only about $4 a pack. Now thats just plain cool.

Jim
Old 07-27-2008, 11:33 AM
dooleyje

ORIGINAL: maddog57

hey everyone,

yup, i'm still here, just been kicked back enjoying my vacation this past week. back to reality tomorrow! been working w/ my G2 and am finally getting the hang of it. almost to the point where i can hover w/o putting it in the dirt. think i've got 'er dialed in pretty good too. it lifts straight up, no spinning or pitching either way and that's w/ the training gear on.
Starcop, sorry to hear you're down w/ an infection. my father. a few years ago, got a rose bush thorne in his index finger and ended up, like you, in the hospital w/ a major infection. took about 2 wks. to clear up. hang in there, you'll get better.

yesterday my wife & i went to an RC air show in Old Forge, n.y.[ in the Adirondack mt. chain, nothern n.y.] put on by the Mountian RC club. was really cool. had some great planes in the air. only flew one heli, as it was real windy. don't know the brand, but it was a 600 nitro. that thing was sweet. pilot didn't do alot w/ it, i'm assuming cuz of the wind. at one point a real plane circled the grass runway and then landed, during the show! come to find out, it was the airport owner, but still, it didn't seem like a good time to want to land. so they had to pause the show to find out what was going on. after about a half hour, he took off and was gone.

the best part of this story is that they had a raffle and i won a Park Zone Typhoon 2, 3d air plane! couldn't believe it cuz normally i can't win a door prize! paid $5 for 6 tickets. RTF out of the box, just had to assemble it. has a 1800mah li-po, brushless motor, digital servos and a 72mhz TX/RX. checked the web site when i got home and it goes for $300! have it together and batt. charged, but haven't a clue how to fly it. figure i'll just give it a shot. soon as i download them, i'll post some photos for you to see.

hope everyone got to fly this weekend.

later, chris
Good for you DOG. Yep always try to go to the Fly-Ins because you never now what you can get for a few bucks. I have flown the Typhoon and you will like it. You can use your heli batteries also.

Jim
Old 07-27-2008, 01:07 PM
starcop

Howdy Friends, Looks like a good weekend to miss; everyone I fly with is at the Air-show' in Twin Falls. So, I guess maybe it's not so bad after all, although this poisoning I have is getting old! I so much as start to move around; "like typing" right now I start to swet, I look like I just got out of the shower [X(]. My wife wanted me to go to the hospital, but my temp is down and I don't feel like I'm getting worse, I'm "feeling" better. I had mentioned staf infection to the doctor, but he wasn't sure until they examine the culture they took. Then he said they'll make something to kill it; or see what they need to stop it from speading. Very interesting how these days, they can look at the strain and make a vaccine to cure it. Heck, back just a few years; they would just use medication that works for several infection types. Now they have an actual "brew" of medication that is specific for certain infection types.

On to a more appropriate subject: A guy today had a T-Rex 500 Electric Heli; where have I been hiding? I didn't even know they had a T-Rex 500 size electric. It looks just like the 600, just a wee bit smaller. So he's looking for a 600; or he's going to buy one. I asked him if he was going to sell his 500. He doesn't sell helicopters or airplanes, he keeps all of his birds until someone pays him new price and "then" he will sell it. He does all his own painting, and so on, his helicopters look great. So I can see why people want to buy his toys.

Maddog, Good for you! Ya Won; that's always cool to be the big prize winner. I've never flown a Typhoon II but they look fun. I guess you had better send it over here, so I can approve it. (Joking of course) Put it together and fly that sucker! Nothing like a free airplane. I'm never one of the lucky winners, maybe my day will come.

see ya, starcop (Matt)

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. My wife and daughter ride bikes around the neiborhood, so they saw a Jack Russel Terier and stopped to pet it. The guy asked if they wanted a puppy for free, so here is the newest member of the family. Topper, Mustang Maryan he's a cute little doggy!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85813.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	998703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30156.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	998704  
Old 07-27-2008, 04:44 PM
maddog57

hey guys,

here's some pics from the RC show i told you about... check out the "flying Toro lawnmower", that was wild!

the last pic is the "full scale" plane that landed during the show.

chris
[img][/img]

Name:	Mk26309.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	998879   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39762.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	998880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46063.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	998881   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77830.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	998882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92041.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	998883   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64366.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	998884   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86488.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	998885   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15383.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	998886  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56462.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	998887  
Old 07-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Magic Hook

Nice photos Maddog, looks like a nice fun fly.

Finally felt well enough this morning to get out and fly some. I had put a new swash and MH pitch slider on my V2. The tail had a twitch when the battery was fresh for the first 30 second of flight time. Not now, rock solid again and fly's like its on rails. Especially nose in is much eaiser. The parts for the 500 came in last week, so I put that together and flew a check out flight. All is well, I love that bird. I went through the head and adjusted the pitch to =- 12. Up from 9. Now that increased the climb rate! This was the first time my wife has seen the 600e fly. Her first words were "you need a bigger flying area". That is one impressive heli, and I am working on not trying to be so cautious flying it. Still, its so stable, yet agile. What I really need is more battery's.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:59 PM
maddog57

hey guys,

yea, i had a great time at the RC fly. i need to go to more of them. this one was app. 1 hr. drive from home. a tad far w/ the price of gas,[corse i don't think twice about spending $ on my heli, haha]. i hope everyone liked the pics. i have more plus some video we shot of the more impressive pilots. don't think i can post videos here though, or can i? does anybody know of a site or sites that inform of future fly-ins? also how can i locate RC clubs in my area? i seem to remember mention of a locator site but can't find it in the posts. i need to join one,also need to join the AMA.

chris
Old 07-28-2008, 05:40 PM
chris6414

Hello all! I had a great weekend with the Hawk and took her out to the field next to my house and let her spread her rotors out some. That baby flies super nice and smooth as silk. Didn't get the nerve to practice any autos yet but I pulled some FFF with vertical to make sure the motor is tuned right and she ran perfect. It's nice to have the extra run time. I flew her for a solid 10 minutes before I came in. She comes in real nice and scale like. She started vibing a little at the end and one of the blades started shedding it's tracking tape. So I hit the woodies with some heat to tighten up the heat shrink and re-balanced and CG'd them. I'm real happy with her and make sure if you pick up a second hand bird (I don't care who it's from) go over it with a fine tooth comb. Heading out to take her up before dark.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:57 PM
starcop

Hi Guys, So I'm looking at the Vibe, a guy from the club said they fly very well and he owns the Raptor (Gas) .50 size also the Align 500 Electric. So I'm going to check into it. Just started another .60 size war-bird build; yeah another one. So I can build both I suppose. Has anyone flown a Vibe? Let me know. starcop

Top Flight .60 Spitfire Mk IX, I have about 6 hours into sanding and build time; gee isn't it wonderful...? I think a Vibe would take a bit less time.

Name:	Nk28213.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1000231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay76118.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1000232  
Old 07-29-2008, 06:16 PM
David867

Another plane! That's good starcop, remember, it's not that you have too many planes, it's that the place you live in isn't big enough.

Flyerbug hasn't flown his new Katana yet, it's about ready to fly, but he's gone to the island. He's helping a friend build a cabin in the middle of the bushes, he brought his Trex with him. The only way to charge his batteries is from deep cycle batteries, so he has to make each flight count.
That's good though, it's been raining here, so no flying.

That's a cool dog, JRT are always good, I bet he likes the planes.

Jim, thanks for the rundown on the BEAM, it sounds awesome, I'm gonna have to get one(And some spare plastic ball joints), my swash isn't getting any better.

Hope mother nature's been better to you guys!
Fly safe!
Old 07-29-2008, 07:09 PM
chris6414

Didn't get in a flight last night, but had a nice time this morning. Motor ran great and she is even smoother now the mains have been rebalanced and CG'd. I should have done the paddles as well but I will take care of that tomorrow. Tail blades are within a .10 of a gram so they are GTG. Sorry, I just like smooth![&:] I have been reading some on engine tuning and this is my first Nitro heli so I wanted to ask you guys if what I am doing is alright for my motor. It idles forever and does not load up no matter how hard I hit the throttle after 30 second idles. It also climbs like a rocket under full throttle power ups from a hover. Hard verticals don't cause the slightest hiccup. I land after a 5 minute flight and let her wind down and motor winds down after a few seconds and I give her the finger test. She is about 2-3 seconds hot. This is with 85 degree weather out mind you. I'm just wondering should I mess with it? Low speed a slight bit richer? or just let it be. I really was worried about a flame out going up to a nitro but after 6 tanks she is flying wonderful. I am using Cool Power 15% and she is smoking but nowhere near like the pics above in this thread. I use the same fuel in my plane as well. Thanks for any insight guys.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:52 PM
starcop

Hi David, Yeah, can you believe that? I'll get a heli; for some reason I'm just into building and flying mode. I wish I still had my T-Rex 600; "why did I sell it", dang! I could be ripping it up with a nice size helicopter. I already took the beating buying it. It was RTF, just had to buy a "Battery"! What was I thinking? [:@] Oh, well I'll get one soon enough, I'm waiting on my wifes insurance fund, it's going to be any day! Hey, also I got a re-fi on my house today, the bank got us dropped in interest rate at 5.4%, that means I save 4 hundy on my house payment. How about them apples gang! Now, I can buy my heli! I'll chat it over with the wifey. [>:] Well, back to building.

Chris6414, Hey, the Copter sounds like it's dialed in. Don't fix what isn't broke, bro! Have fun, keep us posted on how the flyings going. later, starcop

HA, HA another airplane picture! [>:]
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2008, 09:08 PM
chris6414

Thanks Starcop, will do. My poor Twist 40 hasn't seen the air in over 3 weeks. I think she is jealous!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:48 PM
starcop

Hi Guys, So guess what I get to do? From the little cut on my finger and having Nitro Fuel get inside the cut; I have to have a small surgury on my finger Thursday. [:@] Seems the fuel got in there and caused an infection at the joint, (Bone) and antibiotics aren't getting rid of it. Talk about a bummer. So they have to open up my index finger and clean it out. It's about 3/8 down at my first knuckle. Knuckle head I am for not putting a band aid on it; also keeping it clean. [:'(] Sounds like fun, huh? Gee, I can't wait. Just was informed today by my doctor. Oh, well at least I can still use my thumbs; I can't imagine not being able to fly. starcop

Hey, I know I'll upload a picture

Name:	Fd91386.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1000450  
Old 07-29-2008, 10:00 PM
dooleyje

ORIGINAL: chris6414

Didn't get in a flight last night, but had a nice time this morning. Motor ran great and she is even smoother now the mains have been rebalanced and CG'd. I should have done the paddles as well but I will take care of that tomorrow. Tail blades are within a .10 of a gram so they are GTG. Sorry, I just like smooth![&:] I have been reading some on engine tuning and this is my first Nitro heli so I wanted to ask you guys if what I am doing is alright for my motor. It idles forever and does not load up no matter how hard I hit the throttle after 30 second idles. It also climbs like a rocket under full throttle power ups from a hover. Hard verticals don't cause the slightest hiccup. I land after a 5 minute flight and let her wind down and motor winds down after a few seconds and I give her the finger test. She is about 2-3 seconds hot. This is with 85 degree weather out mind you. I'm just wondering should I mess with it? Low speed a slight bit richer? or just let it be. I really was worried about a flame out going up to a nitro but after 6 tanks she is flying wonderful. I am using Cool Power 15% and she is smoking but nowhere near like the pics above in this thread. I use the same fuel in my plane as well. Thanks for any insight guys.
Chris, I balance everything also. I sand on my paddles till they are the same weight on a gram scale and My tail blades also. The only thing that you can really C/G is the blades. It is a pure form when a nitro is in track and balanced, sweet indeed. As far as the motor you are seeing a lot of smoke from 30% nitro fuel. The 15% will not smoke as much. It sounds klike the top end is right on. Let me ask you, Does the motor get rattly in idle and does it cgo DING DING DING for a few second before it idles?. If so then rich the low speed needle. If not leave it alone. If the motor sags in forward flight then the high speed or needle valve is tooo lean and you need to turn it out a couple of clicks. If the low speed side was way tooo lean the motor will stop abrutly in hover. Remember that when you go to about 80% power the high speed needle takes over. It sounds like you have it dialed in. Good job!!

David: I replaced my swashes with trexSEV2 one I had on hand but you can bet I will use the Beam ones from now on. Where have you been brother? Hows Bugs?

I fixed my motor and had to make some tools to screw the end off the can. The magnets are super strong on these motors and I could barely get the washer out with the can open. I took two 7" pieces of 1 1/4 alum.x1/8 and drilled 3 holes in them 1 in the center 1/4"on one end and two 4mm holes one on each side at 18mm apart. The 4mm holes I have inserted 2 socket cap 4mm screws. The round cap screws head will fit the Align cooling holes on the end perfectly. The center hole in the tool is for the shaft to protrude through. I made a second tool the same way but instead of a center hole I cut a "V" so the motor wires would not get damaged. You put one in each end and twist the shaft side cap off. c-clockwise. Warning, They used green lock tite so it is very hard to twist off. Heat the cap around the top where the can meets and it will come off easily. then do just screw it back on when your repair is done. I did not use any more locker becsause it was tight screwing it back on. VOLA fixed. I read about how to make the tool on another web sight. The Scorpions are even easier to take apart. I couple of set screws and apart it comes. Yes I ordered one!! the 2221-8 I will use a 12T or 13T on it. The 2221-6 is just too much of a good thing. I will let you kids keep up with that monster. I will need to step up to a 45amp ESC before I can use the -8 with the 13T.

Starcop the VIBE is a super heli. Down side is that every JR heli I ever had the parts are expensive compared to others. Up side is that JR has finally seen the light and have done a very good job for the past several years in insuring parts are availble. Even the Ergo parts are easy to get now. than they were 10 years ago. I have had a lot of JRs offerings and have never had a bad one,,,Ever. Super products and the Vibe is one of the ones to get. I would wait a little while and the price will go down and the R/D from the masses flying it will show any problems in the heli. A little new yet for me. I do like the Trex500 where I can use 2 of my 450 batteries to fly it. Most of the problems have come out with it and I feel safe to order one. By the way CopterX is coming out with a 500 copy it is in the Phillippines now.

My nitro helis are collecting dust now and have been for the last 6 months. I just like the electrics right now and a curiosity about them and how far electrics have come. I am still amazed. Plus its a lot less stuff to take to the field. No clean up!

Jim
Old 07-29-2008, 10:52 PM
David867

Geez starcop, that sounds like quite the mess you've gotten yourself into. Thanks for letting us know the details, because now we know what NOT to do. Not that I use Nitro anyways, but it's good to be reminded of how easily our health can be affected.
I've been using these waterproof bandaids for some time, and they're awesome, you should get some of them: [link=http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?btrx=BUY-PLST-0-CAT&catid=111855&pid=55451&trx=PLST-0-CAT&trxp1=111855&trxp2=55451&trxp3=1&trxp4=0]Awesome Band-Aids[/link]
If you get cut, you throw that on, and you can do whatever you want, they stick really well, and protect the cut from everything, you can even take a shower with it on, it won't come off!
It says "Advanced medical technology outperforms, outflexes and outlasts ordinary bandages." and once you try it, you'll know what they mean. You'l never go back. They were meant to be put on your cut, and taken off several days later, once the cut has healed!
They are the BEAMs of band-aids. By Johnson and Johnson. Looks like a rating of 5/5 from 7 people, I would give it another 5/5 too! After your incident, I think you should stock up, it's like spare main shafts, don't know when you'll need them, but might as well have a lot on hand.
That's a lot of talk about bandaids, but I think starcop has proven them to be an essential flight-box item.
Hope all goes well in the surgery starcop, take care of yourself from now on, so you can live long and fly RC.

Unfortunately Jim, we haven't been flying much, the last video I posted of flyerbug was the last weekend we've flown, since then, I've been totally grounded. I had a quick test hover on the side of the street yesterday, but it was just to get a quick shot of RC. Just been too busy to hit the fields.

Hopefully next weekend we can have a funfly, because flyerbug and my friend need to maiden their planes, Katana and SE5!

That's cool how you made a tool to take apart the Align 430XL, always wondered about that. Congrats on the scorpion! You're right, I took mine apart after I got it, so I could remove some burrs from machining, check yours carefully, you might have some. -8 is still powerful, will be more efficient than the -6, even on an 11T I'm only getting 5-6 min flights, putting back in 2200mAh. I'd have to fly for 4 minutes to put back in 1800mAh. The extra turns on the -8 will make it more efficient, I'd guess you can fly 5-6 mins and hit your 80% mark on a 12T. You'll have to let us know, I've always been wondering about that.

CopterX 500! My wallet's burning already.

Keep those blades spinning!
Old 07-30-2008, 06:28 AM
Magic Hook

Greetings,

Starcop, I hope the surgery went well and you have turned the corner on that infection.

Yesterday was dumb thumb day for me. I was flying my Trex 500. Landed about the in the middle of the flight as something was biting me on the right hand. I was a dope and did not spool it all the way down because I was in a "hurry". Note to self "get out of idle up, and spool down when landing". Right after landing I of course went hunting for what was now a wasp stinging itslef into the back of my hand. While doing that the heli tiped over and broke my new CF blades. I was so mad at myself. No other damage but I am looking for a new motor. This one fly's fine, but it gets hot and sounds like a bearing is going out.

Does anyone have experience trying to put metal blade grips on a 600e? After two frustrating attempts I guess I give up for a while. The package does not say N or E, just 600. They have Align painted on them and are black. There is about 1/6" of end play when installed. The plastic is perfect so I will fly those. I was thinking of adding washers to each side. So far so good with the twin 3300s packs. Mild sport flying gets me 9.5 minutes and still putting only 70% back. Loads of power for my experience level. I love the electric!

Take care and have fun. I leave for Alaska in the morning for twelve days.

Rick

Name:	Hf98037.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1000693  
Old 07-30-2008, 09:23 AM
dooleyje

ORIGINAL: starcop

Hi Guys, So guess what I get to do? From the little cut on my finger and having Nitro Fuel get inside the cut; I have to have a small surgury on my finger Thursday. [:@] Seems the fuel got in there and caused an infection at the joint, (Bone) and antibiotics aren't getting rid of it. Talk about a bummer. So they have to open up my index finger and clean it out. It's about 3/8 down at my first knuckle. Knuckle head I am for not putting a band aid on it; also keeping it clean. [:'(] Sounds like fun, huh? Gee, I can't wait. Just was informed today by my doctor. Oh, well at least I can still use my thumbs; I can't imagine not being able to fly. starcop

Hey, I know I'll upload a picture
Starcop keep the faith brother. They had to go digging around in my dog bite also and had me on powerful antibiotics. I too did not heed the injury rule. A small cut is not always a small thing. I hate to go to the Doctor so I feel your pain.

David: In my research of the Scorpion motors I found that the guys are using the 10T on the 2221-6 to get some flight time and still have monstor power. What ESC are you using with yours? Be sure to oil your bearings. On the Align motor you can put a drop on the bearings. The bottom bearing has a sticker covering that you peel back to get to the bearing. The sticker will have 3550KV or 3700KV writtin on it. The 2221-8 is about grams heavier than the 3700 Align and is rated at on 3595KV but at 450 watts vs the 350 watts on the Align so I am also curious to see if there is a difference in lugging the extra weight around. The 9 grams will help balance the Trexsev2/ CopterX better. We will see.

Where was the burr that you found?

I haven't been able to fly much this past week either because of bookings. I am off today and have one more show to do tomorrow night. And then start all over again on Monday. I am producing a new CD so I am in my studio today working on it. I sell them at the shows and use them for demos in marketing.

Hook: Sorry about your blades. I really hate to break a set of CF blades. I get really mad at myself also. I don't mind hanging new parts on the heli but somehow breaking a great set of perfectly balance blades will get my goat. I tell you now I have broken lots of them in the last 14 yrs. But I still keep buying them and hanging them on. They do fly a lot better for stick banging. At least the 450 size blades arn't $70- $105 like on my nitros. I have been using the new Align CF blades. Their the ones that are whit with the black strip. Super set of blades for $36. I have two sets of Hyperion blades ordered through a great friend of mine and they are my all time favorite blade.

Gotta get back to the music,

Jim
Old 07-30-2008, 11:00 AM
starcop

Howdy Gents, Thanks Jim, Rick; I'll be fine, "I hope"...? You never know these days, theres always a chance I may not wake up. [] But I should be fine. Just have to open her up and clean it all out. So the good news is I'm working on my Spitfire .60. I have several sick days accumulated so I'm using them. It's nice to have time off, when your doing a plane project; I can take my time. starcop
Old 07-30-2008, 02:00 PM
chris6414

Thanks Jim, I richened the low speed up about 20-30 degrees and see if it still pings when she idles down. I was getting a sound like that. Sound effects always help. In FFF the motor doesn't sag but plateaus which should be good as the pitch is reaching the top and I get some more smoke and the vertical pulls are GTG. . Starcop, get well soon. I'm just getting over a cold and sinus thing that has been bugging me for about 3 weeks now. Sunny days flying with a sinus headache were distracting but I had to get the Hawk dialed in. Keep em flying!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.