Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

hooking up radio in a heli

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

hooking up radio in a heli

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 11:28 AM
paulfromero
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hooking up radio in a heli

Hi,

I am trying to put together a Raptor, I think, with the OS .60 engine. I am not sure of what needs to be checked out before first start, but one thing that is definetely needed is some advice on how to hook up the receiver. I bought the heli from a guy several years back, and it comes with Futaba servos. The receiver I have is the Hitec 72 mhz type, and all 4 of the Futbaba servos hook into it. But, there are 3 other wire connections...the one from the on/off switch, and ?? that dont fit into the reciever. They 'almost' do, but the connectors lack the little notch in the corner that would enable them to slide in. I think I can go ahead and use this Hitech reciever, but I could use some advice as to what to do/buy to make it work.

thanks!

Paul

ps I have posted photos of the model
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19270.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1443901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75482.jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1443902  
Old 05-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: hooking up radio in a heli

take that zip tie off and snap another picture of the wire mess. I can't see anything.

If all your servo wires are hooked up, and the gyro wires are hooked up, then the only cables that you would be missing will be the power cables. You probably have a switch of a different brand. Look at it closely comparing it to the rest of your servo plugs. You should be able to "shave" a little plastic from here and there and make it fit. Just make sure it goes in with the right polarity. One cable goes to the receiver, the other goes to the battery and the last one is to re-chagge the battery without having to unplug it from the system.

I do have a suggestion, that battery pack seems really small for a 60 sized heli. Make sure you keep an eyes on it and test it with a loaded voltmeter before every flight. If you read 4.8 volts with a 1amp load, it is time to re-charge.

Cool heli, My Raptor 90 started life as a Raptor 60 with an OS 70 engine. Tuned right, that heli is a beast.
Here is a picture of some of my helis, including my Raptor 90 (2nd from the left)

Rafael
Old 05-28-2010, 05:53 PM
paulfromero

NEVER MIND, HAVE FOUND THE INFO NOW..THX FOR YOUR INTEREST...PAUL

Thanks for the tips,

I did as you said, and took a second look. The heli has 5 servos, not 4. The Rotor servo goes to the gyro and then on to the receiver (2 connectors); this gyro has its own connector with one yellow wire, not 3 as do the servos...dont know which reciever connection to put it into.

The collector, pitch servos are plugged in, and one of the servos is still not plugged in because it has one of those different connectors, for some reason. They are all Futaba servos, but they are different models of servos (see picture).

All three of the switch connectors are not plugged in..they are the ones with just the red and black wires (2) vs three wire servo harnesses. As you said, I will shave these off a bit.

Generally, which servos go into which receiver connections (1,2,3....). Also, I would appreciate a heads up on where the gyro connector and throttle connectors go in the reciever (again, #`1,2,3...etc....I have 7 channels + a battery connect on the receiver. The Hitech radio is one of their compuerized ones from about 5-6 years ago, and I use it with airplanes. By the way, I have a 'training' set of gear (the ones with the whiffle ball 'wheels'). I plan to start it up...get a feel for it...and then ask an instructor to fly it/tune it.

I have included a picture of the body..pretty basic, uh...could you recommend a good source for pre-crash prep parts (pm me if need be)? If so, which parts should I order pre-crash?....I do have a good selection of connectors ...the 'heli pak' from a well known connector supplier online....all metric. I am interested in a nice body somewhere down the line...do you have a favorite?

That all being said, the thing I need most right now is the order of connections on the receiver.

thanks for any help,

Paul
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62787.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1444037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88896.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	1444038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55897.jpg
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	1444039   Click image for larger version

Name:	At55444.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	1444040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh58827.jpg
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	1444041  
Old 06-02-2010, 07:53 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do not know Hitec good enough to provide detailed connection iformation. I suggest you find local help for that.

The gyro has 2 leads, one with the 3 cable plug, and one with just one cable (the yellow cable) THis single cable gets connected on a spare channel on the receiver where you can control the gain of the gyro remotely. It gets connected typically to the gear channel, but then again I do not know Hitec well enough to provide that kind of answer.

Sorry I could not be of further help. Good luck

Rafael
Old 06-02-2010, 08:11 PM
paulfromero

gear channel, but then again I do not know Hitec well enough to provide that kind of answer.

Sorry I could not be of further help. Good luck

Rafael
No problem Rafael...thanks for spending the time to reply....Paul