Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 09:45 PM
lyk2fly
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now what?

Hi all, I've been learning on a LMH 110/117 for a little over a year now. I can hover decent, fff is ok, nose in is not perfect but ok, and some slight stunts. I still find it a thrill to fly ( I just love helis) but I believe that fixed pitch has taken me about as far as it can. I'm interested in a 30 size machine. I'm not cheap but I'm not rich so I watch E-bay and even the marketplace here. I'm not wanting to start an argument but are there brands to stay away from? For instance a Shuttle (probably older model) with servos, gyro and engine just went for less than $200.00 on E-bay. It looked like it needed some work but that doesn't bother me (I work on the LMH).....what might bother me is to find out that parts would be hard to find. What brands are easiest to find parts for? Cheapest to repair? If you prefer not to post your opinion here then maybe you could send me a pm. One of these "fair priced" helis is going to "catch"my eye soon.
Thanks
Mark
Old 04-28-2004, 11:21 PM
NZ-Kiwi flyer

Default RE: Now what?

Raptor30 are both easy to get parts for and they are one of the cheapest for replacement parts. The first heli I brought was an older Hirobo and it was a disater(I know have it hanging my the workshop to remind how much of a dick I can be at times). Parts were hard to get. Linkages were worn and sloppy, gyro was mechanical and hopeless, batteries needed replacing, by the time I sorted all of this out it was cheaper to get a goodie. The raptor has been my saviour. Cheap for everything and great to fly. Trying to learn on a sub-standard machine will get you nowhere fast. You will regret it and waste money. Save a little longer and get something good.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:28 PM
lyk2fly

NZ-Kiwi flyer, thanks for the reply! I hear good things about Raptors. They too show up on E-bay......sometimes at very good prices. Some are V2, and some are V1......what is the difference? Used stuff doesn't bother me......even if it's not "the latest".....just as long as parts are available. Also I'm used to a LMH 110/117. It's almost a micro heli in size.....but I think it flies good as long as the wind is below 10mph. Is a 30 size machine more stable in the wind?
Thanks again,
Mark
Old 04-29-2004, 04:57 PM
NZ-Kiwi flyer

The bigger the heli the more stable it is. I fly mine in all kinds of wind and she handles it with ease. I have a V1 and have had absolutley no problems with it at all. The main differences between the V1 and V2 are with the head unit along with the blade grips (both main and rotor) and the clutch. Alot of people say there is a difference in flying the two but I have never flown a V2 so can comment. Some people say dont buy a V1 but there are a mass of V1 pilots out there who disagreeand just love them. Out of all of the 30 size helis at my club everybody agrees that my V1 rappy flys the best so it cant be all that bad. Parts are very easy to get (and cheap) so dont be concerned at all about that. I got mine off ebay and it came with everything. Be patient and you will get a bargin.
Old 04-29-2004, 05:47 PM
lyk2fly

Thanks for your help! I'll keep and eye on Ebay and RCU Marketplace. It would be neat not to have to worry about the wind so much.
Mark
Old 05-01-2004, 07:18 AM
ChopperMike

The key question is: Do you have a local hobby shop that stocks anything in the way of heli parts? If so I'd go with whatever brand/model they stock parts for so you don't have to order parts everytime you need something. Failing that, there are many good choices out there today. I fly a Century Hawk Sport and highly recommend them. You can get a new Hawk Sport for $160 and it's an excellent heli. Raptors are good and if you're looking in the used market you should be able to find a good used one. I'd stay away from Kyosho, at least the Concept 30. I had a Kyosho Concept 30 and while it flew pretty good I wasn't happy with machine, especially the fact that the linkages got sloppy real quick (caused a crash or two).

Whatever you get just make sure parts are going to be available for it.

Good luck and happy flying,

Mike
Old 05-01-2004, 06:03 PM
NZ-Kiwi flyer

Chopper Mike.................I agree with you on the Kyosho Concept 30. A couple of the guys at the club have had them over the years had have disliked them plenty. They said they were not reliable and had mechanical failures all of the time causing a multitude of crashes.
Personally the parts thing has never worried me. I live in New Zealand which is about 10,000miles from the USA and order my parts via heliproz which only takes 4 days to arrive if you tell them its urgent (amazing!!). For you guys living in the states I'm sure they could get them to you the next day if need be. Getting stuff from you LHS is handy but not important. I personally think that getting a heli that others at your club fly (or whoever is going to help you) is more important than the other stuff as its them who is going to be setting it up. I found that if your helpers fly similar helis as you they are far more likely to lend a helping hand if need be as they feel more comfortable working on something they know.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:06 PM
lyk2fly

Thanks guys.....both of you. ChopperMike.....I have a "chat" friend who has an LMH and just recently purchased a Century Hawk Sport......he loves the Hawk. Are parts available for all versions of the Hawk? I hear good things about Raptors and Hawks......you don't find many complaints in their respected forums. Quick helis seem to have problems....there's not even a forum for them anymore in RCU. I've also noticed some complaints about the Kyosho Nexus. To both of you: I have been watching Ebay and as far as used helis go, the price is usually close between Raptors and Hawks. I'll keep my attention between the two. As far as my LHS......he stocks Lite Machine parts now but he would stock whatever I needed...he's a good guy.....but if all else fails I would just order them from a heli supplier on the net.
Thanks again,
Mark
Old 05-02-2004, 07:09 AM
ChopperMike

Parts should be no problem for any of the Hawk models. A lot of the parts are the same between the Sport and earlier versions. I crashed my Hawk II last summer which prompted me to get the Sport and I kept the remains of the Hawk II as many parts are the same. The Sport has many udpgraded items from earlier versions including a larger main shaft (10mm), a metal/plastic swashplate instead of the all plastic swash on the Hawk II, all metal replaceable balls instead of the molded on plastic balls, etc. And I've never had problems getting whatever parts I needed from Century.

Regards and good luck,

Mike
Old 05-02-2004, 12:17 PM
Raydee

I would say any 30 size model will be better than the Lite Machines. Like you said the LMH is very limited and was great for a beginner heli. I owned a Shuttle for a year and it too was a good heli but was also very limited with the rotor head design. It was and still is very outdated. I would recommend a Raptor because for the money it's a great flying cheap heli. Parts are very easy to get because it is so popular and there is tons of info on the web for the heli.
Old 05-02-2004, 09:07 PM
TMooreATX

Mark,

There is a fun fly in Chattanooga in a few weeks, this would be a good place to look around for a first 30 size. I live up in Cookeville. If you are ever in the area, come fly with us.

Terry
Old 05-02-2004, 10:18 PM
lyk2fly

Hi Terry,
Do you have the dates of the Chatt. fun fly?
Mark
Old 05-03-2004, 09:12 AM
TMooreATX

Here you go:

http://runryder.com/helicopter/t7714...ht=chattanooga