Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

just finished my helimax kinetic 50

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

just finished my helimax kinetic 50

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 03:20 PM
nzak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: just finished my helimax kinetic 50

Mine was very stable, almost hands-off in a hover. I wish i could have gotten to the kill switch faster, would have saved a lot of money. It all happened so fast. The reciever came flying out along with the battery, once that happened I had to hold the heli in place with a trash can that was nearby. I think the engine is gone too, will take it apart tonight and find out for sure

Nick
Old 03-10-2008, 09:34 PM
nzak

Here are some pictures of the aftermath...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25429.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	900432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52016.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	241.2 KB
ID:	900433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61477.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	195.5 KB
ID:	900434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60760.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	900435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk68134.jpg
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	900436  
Old 03-10-2008, 09:37 PM
nzak

Notice the flybar at the bottom, I only found half of it lodged about a half inch into a cooler that was nearby. Still searching for the rest...

James, I have read all of this post and have been beyond worried about losing a tail rotor. Especially after talking to you in Perry. I checked the tail more than anything before the hover this morning and it seems to be the part that failed. I think next time I may mark the shaft when it is installed so I can see better if it has loosened and slid back. From looking at the tail blades, they only look like the struck the ground in rotation one time. Think I know what happened. Hard way to find out, but I know I won't let it happen again.

Name:	Bz77409.jpg
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	900448  
Old 03-10-2008, 10:30 PM
nzak

Definitely need a new con-rod, hopefully the piston is ok, I will take it ou tomorrow. Crank seems to spin fine. Case isn't broken so it will get a rebuild and not a replace...

Name:	Zx72447.jpg
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	900491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23236.jpg
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	900492   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24416.jpg
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	900493  
Old 03-11-2008, 12:52 AM
Ecklund1

Wow. Was that stuck at full throttle or something? How long was it trying to kill itself?
I have my battery strapped in with electricians tape and the receiver inner-tube-type rubberbanded to that.
It may be cheaper to buy another for spares. I'm sorry to see the carnage Nick... [sm=frown.gif]

Jeff
Old 03-11-2008, 10:21 AM
nzak

It ran around 3/4 throttle I would guess for about a minute and a half. I tried to put my foot over the exhaust to get it to stop but it was jumping around too much. For some reason I reached in with my hand too, apparently I wasn't thinking, I got a couple small cuts to the knuckles not bad at all though. I learned a lot, next time if I have a problem like this the throttle kill will get hit much faster
Old 03-11-2008, 01:10 PM
badazzbusa
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry that happened but as a safety point, once the battery comes disconnected or the throttle stuck, the only thing you can do is sit back and watch the show. I guess I'm lucky, I always hit the ground hard enough to kill the engine.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:17 PM
nzak

I wish mine would have quit. I think I experienced the worst case scenario helicopter crash. Hopefully I am done with that now, only nice landings from now on. My biggest fear was the people standing around watching, didn't want anyone to get hit with flying heli parts.

Nick
Old 03-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Ecklund1

Nick,
I'm trying to figure out what made the con rod get munched like that. I know 3/4 throttle with little or no load is detrimental to engine life but, it's not like it over-revved and seized. That thing look like it disintegrated. What engine is that?
Old 03-11-2008, 07:22 PM
nzak

Its an OS Hyper 50. I am not positive, it could have been at full power, really not sure.
Wish I had video to know for sure when it popped and exactly how the heli was facing, if the blade grips were still striking the ground or if they came off and then it popped. I am just glad it was the rod, its only $16, most of the rest of the internals are much higher. If the case would have been punched that is $50 by itself.
I think I can be back in the air with a new bird and repairs for around $285, so not as bad as it could have been. No matter how bad, it can always be worse.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:27 PM
james199

Nick
sorry to see and here of the crash but its not a total yet just think of it the 6000000000 dollar heli

but don't feel bad i had a BAD crash Monday as a servo locked up and smoked on one of my helis and i lost all control the heli came into the pit area and disentegrated next to a vacant table it came in tail and inverted at WOT. all i could do is watch it go byby to make it worst my wife showed up 10 minuets later with lunch i not sure who felt worst me or her as she looked at the maverick blades that where trashed and all the carnage its so bad that its a complete total .. Monday at 9:00am there was 7 heli's now there are 6
Old 03-12-2008, 09:25 PM
nzak

James, sorry to hear about yours too. I guess Monday was not a good Kinetic day in the South.
I did get some good news, maybe, Extreme Link said they would warranty the reciever??? I will send it off in a couple days and know more, but I sure was surprised of the response from them! I do love the product, it worked flawlessly. I guess when they say lifetime warranty they really mean it! Time will tell.
I think you have a great wife, any wife that comes that far to a show AND lets you spend money is a keeper. And your saying she brings food to the flying field???[X(]

Nick
Old 03-13-2008, 02:51 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Be thankful it was a VACANT table

You going to bring that thing out here and hang with the heli boys in Jax one of these days? One of the guys here has a Kinetic that he just replaced with a 600n, he'd probably give you a deal on it.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:36 AM
james199

Barracuda i keep saying i going to get over there but things here just keep coming up ... to be honest i have remarried and my new wife has 5 kids and on the weekends her ex has them and we ( her and i ) go and do what we cant during the week but summer is a coming and yes i will get over there and fly with the big boys i might even jump on the playground too [sm=teeth_smile.gif] i really need to get over there cause i have a ton of questions to ask you on a set up .. i was over there last week i had to get some nitro and a few other things at hobby world (which by the way they rock !!) and i asked Dave how the build went on a K-50 he was working on he told me thanks for the heads up on the set screws not having lock tight on them and his was no exception it too had little to none. when are you going to have a fly in and swap meet ? i need heli parts
Old 03-17-2008, 10:25 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

At the very least we will have a fall fly in that will be open for both planks and helis since we have two runways. If I can convince someone to CD it we will have a spring fly in, I usually host one but I have finals in May and I'm way to busy at work to do all the work this spring.

We are having a warbird event in April and the heli runway will be open. Also there's a drive in beach at the mayport jetti's thats not to far, make it a day trip and take her out to the beach for a while then come hang at the field.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:56 PM
james199

sounds great i know she will go for that