Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Venture Header Tank Installation

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Venture Header Tank Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 12:32 AM
ASteele

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Venture Header Tank Installation

I have a question about where the best place to install the header tank on my Venture is. I have heard that mounting directly on the frame is no good because of possible foaming issues. If this is correct then where else is there to put it. I was going to mount it where i put my extra boom support. Seems to be a good spot. Thanks in advance for all of the help.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:47 AM
venture32os
My Feedback: (2)

Default Mounting

I have mine mounted to the main frame. I have no foaming problems. You need to keep it as level with the carb as possible.
I hear that works the best.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:09 PM
Ad-Venture

To help against foaming I attached my header tank to the frame with sticky foam tape. I cleaned the frame and tank real good with rubbing alchohol first though. Then I zip tied it to make sure it wasnt going to go anywhere. So far Ive put 2 1/2 gallons though it with no problems.

Hope that helps!
Old 03-06-2003, 02:08 AM
ASteele

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:51 AM
Lynx

Strapping the tank to the frame almost completely negates the effects of using padded tape? Got all that great vibration absorption and then it's firmly strapped down to something that vibrates =-\
Old 03-06-2003, 01:13 PM
Ad-Venture

Lynx.... you have the best words of wisdom. Believe it or not, the header tank setup ive got works great.

without making the tank float in mid-air beside the heli. How else are you going to keep the vibration down?

I have it zip tied to the frame for a little extra insurance.

The fuel wont foam that much because the header tank is 99% full all of the time any way!

You can bolt it directly to the frame, but the type of tank I got didnt have a means to do so. KSJ makes one that screws into the rear of the frame for the Venture. ITs round, my friend who is a JR rep has one. It works like a champ.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:54 PM
burnsie90

I am a newb. So what is the reason for a header tank?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 03-06-2003, 02:04 PM
Ad-Venture

A header tank stays full all of the time. Untill the main tank runs dry. Its helpfull for a few reasons, but mainly it will ensure that the engine will have a solid fuel supply with a lesser chance of slug of air getting in the line. Which could stall the engine.

On the Venture the main tank is hard to see. If I fly past myself or if im doing nose in, and I see that the header is full. I know that im good to go. As soon as I see that the header is not full I know its time to set down.

just my .02 worth

Old 03-10-2003, 03:45 AM
burnsie90

Can you use just any 2oz tank or does it have to be a special tank? I have a Sullivan 2oz slant tank. Will this work?

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 03-10-2003, 01:19 PM
Ad-Venture

I'd say to spend 5 bucks and get a slim square tank, rather that a slant. I think I got a 2 ounce ( its actually in the shape of a small rectangle ). It works great.

Old 03-10-2003, 08:33 PM
sloper

I always thought the main point of a header tank is that it can not foam as there is no air in it.
Old 03-11-2003, 01:30 AM
ASteele

Sloper you are pretty close. A header tank will be full but only until the main tank is empty. Then you will begin to draw fuel from the header which you do not want foaming up. So foaming does not become an issue unless you are going to run both bone dry, which I do not recommend.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:07 AM
burnsie90

What is the best way to set up the header tank? I went ahead and ordered one from heliproz. Should I use a T or do I just hook the carb and output from the main tank to the header or???

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 03-11-2003, 01:09 PM
Ad-Venture

I used a T filter on mine. But you need extra parts to do this. To do it right you need a fuel shutoff clip. KSJ makes some black ones, it clicks and pinches the fuel line off. Then you push a little button on it and it un-clicks to open the line back up. ( Thats the best way I could describe it ).

You'll need a fuel plug to go into the fueling end of the T, you will need to plug this off when your not fueling the Heli. KSJ makes these and they are black also. Thunder Tiger makes some metal ones that really stay in the line..... a little too good.

The T that I used is from KSJ also, looks just like one of those clear plastic filters only with another nipple right out of the side of the body of the filter.

When your rigging it... I did a bunch of trial and error. I have my T filter almost touching the header tank fuel outlet, you will see what I mean when you start trying to cram all that stuff into about an inch of room.

The T filters are like 6.95 for two. The fuel shutoffs are 3.95 for two and I had to get some thunder tiger fuel plugs, 3 pack is 2.95

I was going to set this up on my new ergo 30 that I scored for 150 bucks but there is no room. But on the Venture it works great. Hope that helps!