Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!
View Poll Results: A poll
Electric T-Rex, Shotguns...
47.46%
Nitro (raptor...)
52.54%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Electric or Nitro Heli

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 05:50 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Electric or Nitro Heli

The comparission shows they cost the same, the elctric is not cheaper. And that´s comparing a 450SEV2 to a .50 Raptor. If I had compared a 600 Trex to the Raptor it would have been way more lopsided to the Raptor. And the Knight will save you at least another $80 or so... That´s not t say the 450 or 5600 are not really good helo´s, I just wanted to point out that electrics are not cheaper than a nitro in any way or form. Well... a Pico is...
Old 09-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Bcolici

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out the hbk2 thread nice little heli from what ive read rtf and only needs a few upgrades for just over $200 if you go with a brushless setup some people claiming a 15-20 min. flight time on a 1250mah battery.
ORIGINAL: calvino

I did find a neat (and low cost) belt tail heli () from E-Sky. It is the Honey Bee King V2, and from the 4.5 rating I think it is prety cool, going to see if my LHS has parts for it. Mini T
Old 09-21-2007, 12:26 AM
calvino

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

The comparission shows they cost the same, the elctric is not cheaper. And that´s comparing a 450SEV2 to a .50 Raptor. If I had compared a 600 Trex to the Raptor it would have been way more lopsided to the Raptor. And the Knight will save you at least another $80 or so... That´s not t say the 450 or 5600 are not really good helo´s, I just wanted to point out that electrics are not cheaper than a nitro in any way or form. Well... a Pico is...
yeah, it depends, with the horor stories about lipos exploding... I think nitro is the better way to go[8D], although it is not good for indoors...
Old 09-21-2007, 10:58 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

yeah, it depends, with the horor stories about lipos exploding... I think nitro is the better way to go , although it is not good for indoors...
Alas, as with many things, the horror stories you so often read about are almost always caused by user negligence. Actual lipo battery failure due to defect is fairly rare. More often, it's due to improper charge settings, to high of a discharge, overheating, etc.

It'd be the same thing as a nitro flyer deciding to light up a smoke right next to a jug of fuel - not terribly smart. Mistakes can and do happen of course which is why lipo fires also happen and it's for this reason many people prefer nitro, it requires little thought and it's predictable.
There is definitely more care involved when using lithium batteries and it's not for everyone, but a lipo in it's self is no more inherently dangerous than a jug of fuel as it were. There is just more things to "potentially" go wrong if you aren't vigilant in your use of the battery.

That's all going to change now anyways with the new chemistries hitting the market. No thermal runaway, durable construction, etc. Cheaper, too .
Old 09-22-2007, 02:23 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: credence

yeah, it depends, with the horor stories about lipos exploding... I think nitro is the better way to go , although it is not good for indoors...
Alas, as with many things, the horror stories you so often read about are almost always caused by user negligence. Actual lipo battery failure due to defect is fairly rare. More often, it's due to improper charge settings, to high of a discharge, overheating, etc.

It'd be the same thing as a nitro flyer deciding to light up a smoke right next to a jug of fuel - not terribly smart. Mistakes can and do happen of course which is why lipo fires also happen and it's for this reason many people prefer nitro, it requires little thought and it's predictable.
There is definitely more care involved when using lithium batteries and it's not for everyone, but a lipo in it's self is no more inherently dangerous than a jug of fuel as it were. There is just more things to "potentially" go wrong if you aren't vigilant in your use of the battery.

That's all going to change now anyways with the new chemistries hitting the market. No thermal runaway, durable construction, etc. Cheaper, too .
yeah, good point, if you do it wrong there is a chance it will "bite you", good point, still leaning towards getting the nitro, maybe get the electric for indoor flying, aka, mini, also, does anyone know where to get replacement parts for a HBK2 and if it can do 3D, I dunno, also looking at EF Shotgun V2, good bad??? belt tail