Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

SARS Virus and Importing from Asia

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

SARS Virus and Importing from Asia

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 04:11 PM
bluefronted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SARS Virus and Importing from Asia

Greetings ,

The current SARS epidemic that Asia is experiencing , how will this affect those who want to import item from Hong Kong and Japan.

Will the ordered items need to be quarantined or sprayed with something to kill the virus ?
What are the cost implications,

Do we need prior approval before ordering.

What the chances of the virus , being carried by non living agents ??
Old 05-01-2003, 04:59 PM
FlyByWire
My Feedback: (4)

This has been brought up. The virus can not survive long enough in the open to even be worth worring about contracting from items from overseas. This is paraphrased from USA Toady.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:42 AM
airbird

A virus any virus needs our body to survive. The SARS virus as with most viruses can survive outside its host body for not more than a few hours.

So if a person with SARS, who is packing your order happens to sneeze on your package, it would have to travel by rocket-ship to your front door in order for you to be possibly infected.

I don't know about you but I never receive a delivery by rocket-ship.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:07 PM
PalmSizeHeliMan

There is a lot of being said about it but I don't buy everything I hear in the news. The idea of news is to inform you but at the same time not to cause world panic and sometimes some facts are not totally given out.

I've read that dust mites can also encapsulate a virus, and sometimes human hand sweat/oil that may be on the surface of the product can have ill producing results if you happen to inadvertently breath the contaminated dust, or intake the contaminant into your body through contact.

This thread's topic raised my interest. I recently purchased an airplane toy from a major manufacturer which I will not name to protect its identy, but while opening the package I noticed a dark brown rather gooey and crusty substance attached to the adheasive that was supplied with the kit. I put on surgical gloves and placed the substance under my duaghter's microscope only to detect that is was the residue of a dead roach. Very disgusted, I threw the whole kit away, it wasn't worth that much, or my time to send it back and go through the red tape to get a new one or my money back. Perhaps this is a rare ocasion but I will simply not purchase from such manufacturer ever again.

Although I am not the type to panic, this incident has raised my concern with products received from Asia.
Old 05-17-2003, 03:04 AM
Jason WAI
My Feedback: (31)

Goods and mail from Hong Kong do not pose a health risk. That is a World Health Organisation fact

(http://www.who.int/csr/sars/goods2003_04_10/en/)

The entire Hong Kong community is working to overcome this problem. Fighting Sars is also the top priority on the Chinese mainland, with which there is close cooperation. High-tech thermal screening has been installed at Hong Kongˇ¦s land crossings. Temperature checks and health screening at Hong Kongˇ¦s airport are restoring confidence in international air travel

You will also find important updates on HKTDC portal www.tdctrade.comand online newsletter www.hktrader.net/

Old 05-19-2003, 04:21 PM
Rawlie

Bluefronted

As already mentioned, most viruses have an extremely limited lifespan outside of the favourable conditions provided by the human body. SARS is estimated to have a few hours at the most.

Having said that, it is theoretically possible to catch HIV from sharing cutlery, but the probability is so extremely remote that people don't worry about it.

I work with people who travel to and from the East.

I would say that your risk in South Africa is extremely insignificant, approaching zero .....
Old 05-19-2003, 04:57 PM
FlyByWire
My Feedback: (4)

And besides that, even if you get SARS, there is only a 98% chance that you will live.....
Old 05-19-2003, 08:39 PM
Superman32

I thought I could put in my 2 cents to this topic.
While I'm not sure exactly the length of time corona vira are viable, it is true that most virus are not viable for a long periods of time outside a host. But that is not true to all viruses, it also depends on the media in which the virus is stored.

Viruses are funny little things, because they are not exactly alive or dead. Viruses are simply little packets of information. A good way to think of a virus is to think of it as a floppy disk or a cd -- It just sits there not doing anything until you put it into the appropriate host , the computer or cd player, where it's stored information can be read expanded and do it's damage.
I tell you this, so you should be aware of things you read that that state that there are no live viruses or that they can't survive something.

Let's not forget about bacteria, some types of spore forming bacteria can remain alive and virulent for hundreds of years, eg. anthrax.

Having said all of this... Happy shopping
Old 05-20-2003, 04:25 PM
eddie13231
My Feedback: (3)

More people die from the flu than sars people...
Old 05-21-2003, 11:21 AM
Rawlie

Eddie I think more people die from R/C plane/heli accidents than the SARS!!

A young girl got killed here in the UK about a month ago by a R/C plane that went out of control :-(
Old 05-21-2003, 05:47 PM
extremeflying
My Feedback: (7)

i have something to say. i ordered something from taiwan and its not here yet i emailed and check they said my stuffs are at a comtainment area where they check and disinfect sars before it comes to the US.