Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 05:49 AM
paulhat

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Hey Craig,

I was thinking of trying the powerbox switch backer (the one that Dave has in his).
I like the stock setup. Seems really simple and everything is easy to get at.

After reading your description of the flight characteristics I am even more looking forward to getting mine in the air.
Should go great with the 140 and a heap of stick

Paul.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yeah the powerbox sensor switch is a good unit and the flash will fly fine with that and 2 lipos for power. I like using the powerbox evo for a bit of extra insurance but if I did not use that I would go the sensor switch route.

I will probably go out to Whiteman on Friday and give her another run. Just finished the rear battery mount so just have to make up some new patch leads now and she will be good to go. Can't wait to see how much difference that makes. I have the jetcat GPS on mine. Anyone have a electronic copy of or a link to the instructions for this unit?

Craig.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:45 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Guys
The PB Sensor switch is bullet proof, 99% of Flashes flying here have them and my original Flash which was 5 two weeks ago, has had the same sensor switch and 2s Thunderpower Li-Pos since day one. On 2 x 2200 Li-Pos I get 10+ flights. My Ultra Flash has 2 x Graupner 3000mAh Li-Po packs and the new P-80 UF 2 x 2100 2s Interlect packs

Dave
Old 08-08-2011, 09:03 AM
Colin Allen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thinking on the batteries Craig... I'll do the same I think. I received the Tamjet smoke pump from Peter yesterday. Looks good, well priced, although not exactly light weight, is it.

Paul... the Elan is a great design, although for kit quality it is crap considering the price. All is forgiven when you go to fly it though - it is a dream and a perfect first jet. I've written an article on it which will be in the next RCM News mag. Do you still have your Elan? From your comment a couple of posts ago I gather it is no more??

Cheers,
Colin
Old 08-08-2011, 02:55 PM
paulhat

Hi Craig.

Page 73 on has some info on the GPS [link=http://www.jetcatusa.com/PDFFiles/Instruction%20manual%20V5.1E.pdf]V5.1[/link]

Colin the Elan died in an encounter with a car tyre
Must admit that I did really enjoy flying it though.
Imagine an Elan but with a CARF finish. That would be a very popular aircraft I think.
We get RCM news in our local Coles. Will look out for it.

Paul.
Old 08-10-2011, 06:36 AM
Craig B.

Mate I can't believe you drove over your jet!! That takes hangar rash to a whole new level dude!

Thanks for the link. I used the GPS last Sunday and it is very interesting to see some of the figures that come out of it. Max speed was 365kmh and I apparently pulled 8G max....that would be when I was chasing Mark B's eurosport...haha!

I have got my c of g issues sorted now and will hopefully fly the ultra again on Friday. Should be better than last time out, and that was still pretty good.

Let me know when you get your ultra.

Craig.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Colin Allen

Paul... tragic story, but sounds like a lame excuse to buy a new jet to me (not that any excuse is needed)   I backed my trailer into a plane in my garage once. That plane is no more either.  ::sigh::

Colin

Old 08-11-2011, 04:56 AM
mtnflyer14

Dave,
I'm not familiar with the "PB Sensor Switch". I'm using 6.6V LiFe batteries in my UF and a Smart-Fly optical switch. What is it that you like about the PB switch and where can I learn more about it?
Thanks,
Gus
Old 08-11-2011, 05:00 AM
Colin Allen

Beating Dave to the punch, but here is some info:

http://www.powerbox-systems.com/e/po...nsor/start.php

I have used these on several models, and I totally agree - they are bullet proof.

Cheers,
Colin

Old 08-11-2011, 08:34 AM
Dave Wilshere

PB= Brilliant!
Old 08-12-2011, 06:13 AM
Craig B.

PB= Brilliant!
I agree.

I flew the flash again today with the c of g at 225mm first up. Still carrying a lot of up elevator trim but rotation was better off the deck. Shifted the c of g back to 225-230 and it was better but was still carrying up trim and diving when inverted. I am going to shift it back to 230-235 and see how I go. My aim is to get her more pitch neutral without the trim in the elevator. She still felt a little heavy on the elevator at 225-230 during the landing flare for my liking and compared to my classic flash.

So I will go for 230-235 and I reckon that should be pretty close to the mark. I doubt I will have to or want to go further back than that. I reckon that will allow me to dial out that elevator trim and then I will sort out the knife edge mixing.

Just thought I would report back on the c of g stuff in case anyone is interested. I cant believe I am the only one carrying elevator trim at the recommended 220-225mm setting. She still flies ok with the trim, but it is a bit like driving a car with the handbrake half on. I think it could be set up better so I will keep shifting things until I get it right.

Dave....what ranges in c of g have you seen on this model? How many are flying in the UK? I don't think any others are going in Aus yet, none that I know of anyway and I know that mine was the first to arrive in the country.

I clocked her again *****g out around the 365-370kph mark again today which is pretty consistent with my experience last time I flew it.

Craig.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:49 AM
Dave Wilshere

Craig

There are seven flying in England I can think of straight away. I have test flown 3 of those and to be honest I don't do measuring, I fly it and then think needs to go back/forward and shift weight a bit and try again. Certainly the P-80SE Flash I test flew Sunday I thought straight away bit nose heavy, but I did measure the balance before flying, I just put everything in it as my other Flash, stuck my fingers on the gear cover hatch screws (knowing that is close to the balance point) and lifted, started and flew it!

My guess is even my P120SX version is flying with a small amount of up trim as I like the elevator loaded during slow rolls.

As I said before its personal preference

Dave
Old 08-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Jack28
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have experience with the DES servos listed on the Comp Arf Ultra Flash page. I was trying to budget a build , I have two JR 8411's , would probaly use on the elev. and maybe the DES on the ailerons/ flaps/ steering/rudder. I owned a regular Flash about 3 years ago with a Jet central Falcon, lost it in a crash. How does the new one compare flying wise. I like fasst, so I would power it with a JC cheetah/ or a used Eagle, turned down to 25 -26 lbs thrust.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:12 AM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the new one is faster. less drag. I converted the wing/tail, moved the CG back and its definitely faster on the same thrust. also with clean, it doesn't slow down as fast. but the big barn door flaps allow a steeper decent if needed. only have a couple flights, so that was a quick observation. It had no trouble hitting 199.9mph with my wren dialed back to 24lb..

I could see using a 100N class motor on it easily and making it lighter.. David just did one with a P80 which is in the low 20lb thrust, and Im sure it scooted fine. I was contemplating a swapout for a small wren100 over the winter so I could have my 160 back for a big bird. this UF scoots!!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Dave Wilshere

Jack

Yes, I've had the DES Graupner servos on test over the last year and a bit (but not in a Jet) and they are very good, no issues so far. They are obviously not in the JR class, but cheaper. You can also look at the Spektrum 6030.
Like the guys say 20-32lb of thrust is fine in the UF, its a lot cleaner than the CF and has a ton more drag available.
I had hoped to Video my P-80SE UF tomorrow AM, but my video man of not available.

Dw
Old 08-13-2011, 06:50 AM
Jack28
My Feedback: (19)

Thanks Guys, Sounds like what I am looking for. I have a BVM Bobcat/Rabbit and Boomerang Elan /JC Falcon /with 191 flights on. I really hate to sell the Boomer to help fund the Ultra Flash/Cheetah, But I want something faster and cleaner that the Boomerang. The boomer Elan has been a great jet, no hassle and super reliable over the past 3 years, Its like an old friend. But I can't keep them all . Another choice would be to steal the landing gear(its the Behotec gear from a std. flash) and the engine JC Falcon from the boomeer Elan, and put it in the Ultra flash, and keep the boomerang airframe as a back up.????? Any advice?? Thanks again for the info on the ultra flash. JAck.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:10 AM
tucson
My Feedback: (1)

Jack

Depends on how much money you get for your Boomer.

I just sold my Elan after two years and almost 200 flights. Hated to see it go, But I already have a flash which I would not sell, and my new one is the Comp-Arf tutor.

The Flash is more of a rush for me to fly.

It all depends!

Stan
Old 08-14-2011, 06:35 AM
gooseF22

Jack,
I went thru the same thing, I sold my elan , bought a flash, and ultimately upgraded it to the Ultra Flash. At that time, I had no other plane. I was looking for my grass field go to plane. A plane to "warm up and beat around" The elan was that plane. I felt I had to work up to the flash, as it is small and fast.

If your Bobcat is your "go to plane" in every case, then selling out the elan for the flash is good. If your elan is your go to plane, then dont sell it. Keep flying what you have. The bobcat is comparable in speed and flight.

The UF is quite cleaner than the old flash. we put another flight on mine yesterday. I keep turning the motor down (wren 160) because it just isnt needed. we are down to 24lb thrust. the plane can make a full lap from full speed at idle power. Its so clean. It is very fast 200mph no problem, and has unlimited verticle with 24lb.

My personal issue is that since I sold my elan, I just didn't fly as often, so my skills eroded over time and that makes the Flash a challenge. Last year I bought a used Kingcat and a nano, and my goal was to get back on the horse with the Nano, working up to the Kingcat as my beater. So much that I picked up a spare.

Turns out I fell in love with the kingcat, and yesterday sold the nano, so the kingcat will be my daily beater because I can slow it down and more importantly, at 50 yrs old, I can see it better, besides it slows down well. So with a 'go to" jet that has the same speed range as the UF, then I hoped I could keep up with it. I find it hard to see at times, same as bandit, bobcat.. all mid size planes....

The other thing is that the boomers are almost too easy to fly. when you land them, its just chop and drop. teaches bad habits. I had to relearn the angle of attack/power approach for the kingcat, so as a bobcat owner you know what I mean.

So in closing, it is a personal decision based on what your "go to plane" is in my humble opinion.

THe UF is a very sweet bird, very fast, slows well, and tracks on rails. It was very bandit like yesterday. It will have little problem hangin with the bandits
Old 08-14-2011, 06:38 AM
gooseF22

dup...oops
Old 08-19-2011, 05:10 AM
Craig B.

Hi Guys,

Flew my ultra again today with the c of g at 230-235....no problems at all but I doubt that I will go further back than that otherwise she will be too light on the nose wheel. No problems with ground handling at that c of g though. Still carrying a little up trim but we think that is incidence related and I am not going to mess with that as carrying a little up trim is ok.

She went to 396kmh today and pulled 8.5G according to Mr Jetcat GPS....one tough jet. My Classic flash is still my favourite at this stage but time and more flights may change that. Smoking along at that speed is pretty cool though.

Craig.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:06 PM
paulhat

Hi Craig.

Thanks for the CofG information. I will set mine at 230-235.
Plane hasn't arrived yet but I only ordered it 3 weeks ago. Should be here soon.

Paul.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:49 AM
indubitably
My Feedback: (14)

What colors are we looking toward?
I have the Shui colors swapped for the Black orange, and yellow, and find its visibility better. There is more contrast, and it stands out in spite of or especially when there is some haze.
Was wondering if the green stood out. Never seen one in real life. And then there is the Blue Angels, which stands out nicely in most conditions. Any custom schemes we could see pictures of? And how do they do visibility speeking?
I wish there were more options for such a popular jet. As it costs to swap out the colors in custom orders.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Dave Wilshere

Some pixs of the P-80SE version I built in a colour swap.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23258.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	1651650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82342.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	1651651   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lr39593.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	1651652   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vp39667.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	1651653  
Old 08-24-2011, 05:44 AM
gooseF22

Here is a quick clip of Tim Redelman flying my UF last week. Its also cool to see and hear the trailing link gear in action on the landing.. Its a 160 turned down to 24lb..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tr45...eature=related
Old 08-24-2011, 05:47 AM
gooseF22

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

Some pixs of the P-80SE version I built in a colour swap.
I have to say, I like that paint scheme Dave..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.