Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 11:43 PM
miniman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video

Ihave finally sorted out the fitting of the bypass cover. Finished all the wiring and fitted the wing to find the bypass and the cables and kerostart made fitting the wing very tough.

I made the stupid mistake of pussing too hard and broke the top of the kerostart....an expensive mistake.

The motor was fitted so that the kerostart was not at the bottom where it could sit in a pool of un burnt fuel. This has meant that the Kerostart is sitting out off the side of the motor (see the attached picture) but this stops the wing from seating properly.

I have marked the wing where it needs to be opened out too give clearence. I have read on this post and in the instructions that its ok to cut holes in the top of the wing as the spar is where the strength is. As you can see from the picture the marked area is well away from the securing bolts.

WHat do you guys think, has anyone had the same problem and cut into this area?

Peter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26188.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	1807913   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96230.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1807914   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10901.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1807915  
Old 10-05-2012, 12:24 AM
miniman

double post
Old 10-05-2012, 01:46 AM
Robrow

ORIGINAL: miniman

Ihave finally sorted out the fitting of the bypass cover. Finished all the wiring and fitted the wing to find the bypass and the cables and kerostart made fitting the wing very tough.

I made the stupid mistake of pussing too hard and broke the top of the kerostart....an expensive mistake.

The motor was fitted so that the kerostart was not at the bottom where it could sit in a pool of un burnt fuel. This has meant that the Kerostart is sitting out off the side of the motor (see the attached picture) but this stops the wing from seating properly.

I have marked the wing where it needs to be opened out too give clearence. I have read on this post and in the instructions that its ok to cut holes in the top of the wing as the spar is where the strength is. As you can see from the picture the marked area is well away from the securing bolts.

Peter
Might be worth changing to internal kero start?

Rob.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:00 AM
miniman

The internal kerostart is not available as an upgrade.

I have just had a great telephone call with Dave from Motors and Rotors and he assured me that its ok to dremell a hole in the top of the wing to clear the Kerostart.

I now have a wing that fits, I just need a new Kerostart

That was an expensive mistake!!

Peter
Old 10-05-2012, 02:42 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

miniman

Ali sells a low profile Kero start, that may be the answer without cutting into the wing?

Mike
Old 10-05-2012, 08:16 AM
miniman

Ali has no stock and the guy on the phone did not know when they would have any in.

Peter
Old 10-05-2012, 08:50 AM
BaldEagel

Worth a try?

Mike
Old 10-09-2012, 02:52 AM
skaap2k

My new Ultra Flash arrived late last week, I managed to get it outside for a few photographs over the weekend! Really looking forward to flying her!

Setup nearly done, just need weather like we had here last weekend!

Name:	Nk27802.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	483.7 KB
ID:	1809625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq52593.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	379.0 KB
ID:	1809626  
Old 10-09-2012, 08:31 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, im soon about to start on UF #2 :\ ... Still not sure what caused the fire. I went up, and rudder servo kept pulling hard over .. I later found out it was melting .. I landed the plane and when it rolled out, the rear burst into flame ..

~V~

Name:	Mk25719.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1809698  
Old 10-09-2012, 08:45 AM
Pinnacle Aviation

All painted ready for the weathering

Old 10-09-2012, 09:13 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

wow, that looks great ! Best military finish on a sport jet I have seen in a long time [8D]

~V~
Old 10-09-2012, 10:08 AM
Ruymán

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Precious ... after the red color like mine that was more than me he was pleasing, this one overcomes it!!!

You have still had it impressive!!!

That you enjoy!!!
Old 10-09-2012, 10:53 AM
stevekott

ORIGINAL: wojtek

Well, im soon about to start on UF #2 :\ ... Still not sure what caused the fire. I went up, and rudder servo kept pulling hard over .. I later found out it was melting .. I landed the plane and when it rolled out, the rear burst into flame ..

~V~
Sorry For your Loss. At least got it back (well most of it) and its wasn't just a smoking hole. Wow what an amazing photo. I'm sure we would all be very curious to find out what your theory was in what went wrong.

Three weeks ago I had a buddy getting ready to maiden a new SM Viper and on a high power run up we heard a 'ping' and within seconds the right side of his rear fuse started turning brown, blistering and then flames. We were lucky, he pulled the throttle and fire extinguishers were at the ready. The spot welds (very poor quality weld) on the tab that centered the pipe gave out and it deflected to one side. It softened the Aluminum bell mouth and the exhaust got split with half of it being deflected into the side of the fuse. It happened QUICK!

I don't think there is enough room in the UF to move the pipe to the side like that but the burn location looks to be in the same spot.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:01 PM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Voy - sorry to see that. Good save though, could have been a lot worse!

Phil - the UF looks great in that scheme.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Jack28
My Feedback: (19)

So sorry to see good jets destroyed. Here's my Ultra Flash at the same jet event (Hamburg) one day later. This would have been flight 12 for mine. First flight of day took off ,put gear up, flaps up,climbed to altitude and then noticed it was climbing excessively, went to 3/4 throttle, trimmed it level using all of the trim, flew 5 seconds more and then started diving all by itself, leveled out again then it porpoised up and down badly. Got level again and I handed to my buddy (help somethings not right) it flew a few more seconds then it stopped responding to any inputs as it slowly rolled to the left and went into a dive, It went straight in from about 500 feet. We spent 1 1/2 hours in the corn looking for it finally found it behind the cornfield in a pasture. It was scattered everywhere, didnt burn though. Really sucks to lose your best jet to an unknown radio issue. We recovered every little bit as it was a pasture for milk cows. Everything was brand new in this jet, two A123 battery packs, feeding a the reciever directlly, one of which is still fully charged the other was destroyed. I have the exact same set up (same reciever/batteries /servos/etc. in my Elan flying with the same radio and that jet has 268 flights on it.The turbine (Cheetah) looks like it can be repaired ,although it will need all of the electronics and some other parts.I can't fund another one, and don't want to fly the boomerang Elan until the radio is checked out. I really loved this jet! I was just starting to get comfortable with it. Time to take a break from this hobby. Jack.

Name:	Om34210.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	1809835  
Old 10-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Ramz

ORIGINAL: miniman

Peter
I don't know if it is critical with kero start or not but Jetcat recommends putting the in the vertical position, when mounted. +/- 75° of engine rotation, from the glow plug at top dead center, is the allowable deviation. Your install looks to be around 100 or 110 degrees from vertical? Something to think about. I have a P20 kero start at about 70 degrees and it starts every time.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:53 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Jack28

So sorry to see good jets destroyed. Here's my Ultra Flash at the same jet event (Hamburg) one day later. This would have been flight 12 for mine. First flight of day took off ,put gear up, flaps up,climbed to altitude and then noticed it was climbing excessively, went to 3/4 throttle, trimmed it level using all of the trim, flew 5 seconds more and then started diving all by itself, leveled out again then it porpoised up and down badly. Got level again and I handed to my buddy (help somethings not right) it flew a few more seconds then it stopped responding to any inputs as it slowly rolled to the left and went into a dive, It went straight in from about 500 feet. We spent 1 1/2 hours in the corn looking for it finally found it behind the cornfield in a pasture. It was scattered everywhere, didnt burn though. Really sucks to lose your best jet to an unknown radio issue. We recovered every little bit as it was a pasture for milk cows. Everything was brand new in this jet, two A123 battery packs, feeding a the reciever directlly, one of which is still fully charged the other was destroyed. I have the exact same set up (same reciever/batteries /servos/etc. in my Elan flying with the same radio and that jet has 268 flights on it.The turbine (Cheetah) looks like it can be repaired ,although it will need all of the electronics and some other parts.I can't fund another one, and don't want to fly the boomerang Elan until the radio is checked out. I really loved this jet! I was just starting to get comfortable with it. Time to take a break from this hobby. Jack.
So sorry to see what happen, saw the whole thing. I do remember seeing you taking off with (Takeoff flaps) and i'm wondering if that could be a contributing factor base on how quicky it gain altitude ?
Old 10-27-2012, 12:03 PM
izzy

Landing Gear covers

here is how i made fitting the covers easy
thought i would share with you
first - sand /cut the cover plates to shape
then i took some 6m ply , and cut 4 square shape blocks each 1cm x 1cm and drilled 4mm holes in each at centre, chicked the up in a long 4mm bolt and nut, and made them round
I used 4mm socket screws that i had lying around and screwed them into the struts , and slipped on the rounded ply spacers i made
then it was just a simple issue of testing the height of these spaces, sandin them slightly and then gluing the plates onto these spacers

lastly once glue was dry, slip off the plate and drill 4mm holes in the centre of the rounded spacers , fit the covers now with 4mm bolts ( i will go to thelocal hardware shop to look for some button head bolts)

izzy

Name:	Jh14502.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	1815328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37062.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1815329  
Old 10-27-2012, 03:06 PM
BaldEagel

Or glue them on with Silicon Mastic that way if they hit anything they rip off without damaging anything.

Mike
Old 10-28-2012, 02:27 AM
Mavrik!

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Or glue them on with Silicon Mastic that way if they hit anything they rip off without damaging anything.

Mike
That's what I did. Took about 30 seconds including locating tape!

Mav
Old 10-28-2012, 07:08 AM
izzy

ORIGINAL: Mavrik!

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Mike
That's what I did. Took about 30 seconds including locating tape!

Mav
so how did you make up the differnce in spacers between strut and cover that sits aprox 6mm higher
Old 10-28-2012, 09:02 AM
BaldEagel

Silicon mastic some spacers to the legs and then do the same with the doors, epoxy spacers to the legs and silicon mastic the doors onto them, or epoxy the spacers to the doors and silicon mastic the spacers to the legs, many ways to skin a ..........................it is not Rocket science.

Mike
Old 10-30-2012, 05:15 AM
Pinnacle Aviation

All done apart from fitting a pilot

Old 10-30-2012, 05:45 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice Phil. Well done.

PaulD
Old 10-30-2012, 06:07 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Sure looks better and different

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.