Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

MythBuster TV Show (Jetcat P-60SE project)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems
View Poll Results: A poll
Forward
27.81%
Barckward
32.62%
Standing still
22.99%
Both direction
10.70%
Sail destroy and move backward
5.88%
Voters: 187. You may not vote on this poll

MythBuster TV Show (Jetcat P-60SE project)

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 08:31 AM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MythBuster TV Show (Jetcat P-60SE project)

ORIGINAL: roger.alli

Like others have stated, I think it will obey Newtons third law and travel in the opposite direction of the airmass flow.

Which direction it that is, will depend on how effective the “sail” is at directing the air mass. If the majority of the airmass flows back towards the turbine, the skate board will travel sail first. If the majority flows around the sail, it will travel turbine first. If there is an even split it will stay still.

I suspect it will travel sail first.

I would like to see the same experiment using a proper aerofoil section shape sail, with the air directed to flow over the sail.

Roger

Your answer it really good.

If the sail block off the all the thrust.
It will cancel both movement and stand still.

If the sail are more effecient.
Than it move forward.

If the sail less effecient.
It will move barkward.

It can move both direction depend on the power input.

If the sail got burn throught.
Than it move bardward.

But I already give a hint the sail hold together one of my post.
Becare not let the pictures fool you. I can easy edit flipping the pictures.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Pete737

ORIGINAL: tamjets

Like others have stated, I think it will obey Newtons third law and travel in the opposite direction of the airmass flow.

Which direction it that is, will depend on how effective the “sail” is at directing the air mass. If the majority of the airmass flows back towards the turbine, the skate board will travel sail first. If the majority flows around the sail, it will travel turbine first. If there is an even split it will stay still.

I suspect it will travel sail first.

I would like to see the same experiment using a proper aerofoil section shape sail, with the air directed to flow over the sail.

Roger

Your answer it really good.

If the sail block off the all the thrust.
It will cancel both movement and stand still.

If the sail are more effecient.
Than it move forward.

If the sail less effecient.
It will move barkward.

It can move both direction depend on the power input.

If the sail got burn throught.
Than it move bardward.

But I already give a hint the sail hold together one of my post.
Becare not let the pictures fool you. I can easy edit flipping the pictures.
I feel you, but even in an ideal scenario, where the sail captures 100% of thrust directed towards it, it cannot derive 100% of the net energy from the turbine or the system. In this example, the usful energy (thrust) will be converted mostly to thermal energy as the air heats and expands. Ideally, even if the sail absorbs 100% of the the thrust it will not be able to utilize the losses through air to air friction, The excitement of air molecules as well as the excitement of the sail material. The net tempature rise of the system is an energy loss that can only be removed from the "sail side" of the equation.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:51 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the sail block off the all the thrust. It will cancel both movement and stand still.
Ok i'm making a small change. On startup to running mode, there should be a small reaction towards engine thrust (skate board free wheels). Then as the power increase the air deflect from the sail to the side just enough to reverse its direction. lets make it interesting $$$.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqUJb...eature=related
Old 12-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very cool Tam!
one of my favorite shows, I'll be watching for your episode.
Would be cool if they can find a myth for rc jets

later
Ron
Old 12-13-2010, 11:19 AM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: basimpsn

If the sail block off the all the thrust. It will cancel both movement and stand still.
Ok i'm making a small change. On startup to running mode, there should be a small reaction towards engine thrust (skate board free wheels). Then as the power increase the air deflect from the sail to the side just enough to reverse its direction. lets make it interesting $$$.

Agree with you.

The sail appears to have the same effect as a clam-shell thrust reverser.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Wayne22

where the sail captures 100% of thrust directed towards it,
Ahh...but in the real world it does not, it reflects a good portion of it, some with a negative vector....... Net force vector would be sail -first movement...

However, check out this you tube video...... single engine jets taxing with drag chutes deployed,,,
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjOoFN7Ufz8[/youtube]
Old 12-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Kriptonic69
My Feedback: (1)

the whole unit tips over, was rebuilt as a turbine powered skate board.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:46 PM
roger.alli

ORIGINAL: Pete737

[I feel you, but even in an ideal scenario, where the sail captures 100% of thrust directed towards it, it cannot derive 100% of the net energy from the turbine or the system. In this example, the usful energy (thrust) will be converted mostly to thermal energy as the air heats and expands. Ideally, even if the sail absorbs 100% of the the thrust it will not be able to utilize the losses through air to air friction, The excitement of air molecules as well as the excitement of the sail material. The net tempature rise of the system is an energy loss that can only be removed from the ''sail side'' of the equation.
Hi Pete

I think you might over complicate the issue a bit. Turbines are simple reaction engines. They work buy ejecting a mass in one direction, which pushes the engine in the opposite direction. Granted the mechanics used to eject the mass involves some complicated thermal dynamics and energy conversions within the turbine system. These conversions are not 100% efficient and lots of energy is lost due to friction etc, but the end result is an airmass being squirted out the back.

A reaction engine can eject hot air or cold, water, rocks or even pelicans, so long as the ejected material has mass, the push will be in the opposite direction.

In this case the engine is a system which includes both the turbine and the sail as they are connected. The direction of push will be opposite to the direction that the sail directs the airmass. The sail simply redirects the moving airmass, much like a clam shell reverser. Same principle really as a variable thrust nozzle used for steering and 3D maneuvers. (Which I think is silly on a jet)

Roger
Old 12-13-2010, 08:36 PM
FILE IFR

The direction of push will be opposite to the direction that the sail directs the airmass. The sail simply redirects the moving airmass, much like a clam shell reverser.

Typically after a show is filmed, it takes 2 to 3 months to air...Soooo, I'm more than half tempted to strap a jet/ airframe and all to a skateboard or the like (I haven't had/used a skateboard in well over 30 years ) with a sheet of Uncle Bob's heat blanket for a 'sail' and give it a go.

I do believe the contraption will travel forward (the direction a jet normally travels).

... Or I could wait for the show to air. [&:]
Old 12-13-2010, 08:39 PM
davidgeorge212

It seems like it should be a fairly simple test for anyone with a jet turbine a sail and a skate board to do. I wish I had one to try it but I dont. Im now very interested in figuring out what the results will be.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:01 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to duplicate it with an electric ducted fan? Tempted to strap my old alpha f86 to a skateboard and try it
Old 12-14-2010, 06:38 AM
Pete737

ORIGINAL: Pete737

[I feel you, but even in an ideal scenario, where the sail captures 100% of thrust directed towards it, it cannot derive 100% of the net energy from the turbine or the system. In this example, the usful energy (thrust) will be converted mostly to thermal energy as the air heats and expands. Ideally, even if the sail absorbs 100% of the the thrust it will not be able to utilize the losses through air to air friction, The excitement of air molecules as well as the excitement of the sail material. The net tempature rise of the system is an energy loss that can only be removed from the ''sail side'' of the equation.
Hi Pete

I think you might over complicate the issue a bit. Turbines are simple reaction engines. They work buy ejecting a mass in one direction, which pushes the engine in the opposite direction. Granted the mechanics used to eject the mass involves some complicated thermal dynamics and energy conversions within the turbine system. These conversions are not 100% efficient and lots of energy is lost due to friction etc, but the end result is an airmass being squirted out the back.

A reaction engine can eject hot air or cold, water, rocks or even pelicans, so long as the ejected material has mass, the push will be in the opposite direction.

In this case the engine is a system which includes both the turbine and the sail as they are connected. The direction of push will be opposite to the direction that the sail directs the airmass. The sail simply redirects the moving airmass, much like a clam shell reverser. Same principle really as a variable thrust nozzle used for steering and 3D maneuvers. (Which I think is silly on a jet)

Roger
Hi Roger,

Yes sir they are simple reaction engines and as you mentioned there are losses due to friction, heating etc..

What Im saying is that in this particular case, The end result is measured in movement, The vehicle either moves forward or backward. The energy used to accolmplish this is thrust, The opposing force when the airmass is driven, As you said earlier.

You mentioned that the dynamics involved as gas is ejected from the turbine are not 100% effecient, from the turbines perspective, Of course. The effectiveness of the thrust is continually reduced as the gasses expand and move away from the turbine, using up kinetic energy, or thrust from one molecule to the next. Once the gas has exited the turbine, subsequent energy loss encountered (through the interactions you mentioned) only impact the sail. Obviously energy is always conserved but the usable energy in this experiment, thrust, is impacted on the sail side only.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:55 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the answer !!! I know the answer !!!!...... I set the same thing up in my driveway. The whole damn thing went up in flames after chasing me around the front yard, set the shrubs on fire, neighbors call the fire department and cops !!!! What a mess !!!!.... Like they say on all those other stupid idea TV shows, Don't try this at home !!!!!

Danno[8D]
Old 12-14-2010, 11:07 AM
tamjets

MythBuster doing samething with full scale sailboat. I can't wait to see the result from that.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:34 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Tam! You are an animal!!

Sean sean and you had a blast doing that!

Long time no see my friend!

Raf
Old 03-24-2011, 03:36 PM
FILE IFR

Tam, Have they told you when is the show going to air????

... I'm dying to see the result.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:50 PM
davidgeorge212

I just saw the advertisment for the "blow your own sail" mythbusters episode. They say it will air this Wednesday at their usual time. I am now excited to see this episode.

David
Old 05-09-2011, 01:21 PM
tamjets

I'm looking forward to see the complete show.
I haven't see the copy myself.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:28 PM
rcjets_63
My Feedback: (4)

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: tamjets
I'm looking forward to see the complete show.
That's because people look taller on television.

I'll be tuning in also on Wed night. I bet the skateboard moves backwards.

Jim
Old 05-09-2011, 01:49 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There are many different Mythbusters episodes airing on Wednesday evening on Direct TV. I am assuming that the one that interests us is the one entitled "Blow Your Own Sail", correct???? Thanks guys......
Old 05-09-2011, 03:46 PM
tamjets

ORIGINAL: Woketman

There are many different Mythbusters episodes airing on Wednesday evening on Direct TV. I am assuming that the one that interests us is the one entitled ''Blow Your Own Sail'', correct???? Thanks guys......
Blow your own sail is the correct.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:36 PM
davidgeorge212

ahh! Its true, at least the small scale so far. They really did blow their own sail with the model jet engine on the skateboard.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:40 PM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: basimpsn

I came close
Old 05-11-2011, 06:14 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I was surprised they did not even mention Tam or Tamjets!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:33 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol...awesome job on the skateboard buddy! Looked like crazy fun....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.