Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

High School Senior Project

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

High School Senior Project

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 02:11 PM
Jake3991

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High School Senior Project

Dear Reader,
I am thinking about building the KJ-66 for my HS senior project. This is a kit that "gives me all the hard parts" the compressor blade, turbine, nozzle and shaft. Is it possible for a high school student with no CNC machine and only a high school autoshop to work with to make this engine work? Does anyone have any experience with this kit? As my objective is only to make it run could I simply make a combustion chamber and run it on propane and get it running, or is it not that simple?

Here is the link to the kit I am talking about its made by March Labs-http://www.marchlabs.com/product_p/c...20assembly.htm

From,
Jake
Old 03-29-2011, 03:06 PM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

Default RE: High School Senior Project

you may want to do more research. March Labs is not where I would start. I've seen some pretty wacky stuff from him on you tube and here. check out the gas turbine builder assn- www.gtba.co.uk there's some good info there. there are proven kits available if that's the way you want to go.
good luck
Old 03-29-2011, 04:16 PM
Jake3991

Thanks do you know of any kit that is very economical? As I am still in high school money is an issue I can't spent 2500$ on this project. Do you know anything about this GTBA engine based around the parts from a turbo charger?
Old 03-29-2011, 04:19 PM
Jake3991

In addition to that if I where to use the KJ-66 base parts and not use the supplied plans could I feasibly just make a combustion chamber and fuel injection system and fire it up?
Old 03-29-2011, 05:14 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

A turbine engine is not something that you can "just make combustion chamber and fire it up". It is a very sophisticated piece of machinery (even if it looks simple) and if not constructed and operated correctly could be potentially fatal. Your best bet, is to purchase the imtes you can not make correctly / accurately from a reliable source and have a "kit" that you can assemble. Trying to piece a turbine together, you have a 90% chance of being un-successfull in your attempt.
If you are wanting something just for a senior project, I would seriously look into something that requires a little less precision and less money to obtain a favorable result.

everything you need to know about the GTBA engine should be able to be found by doing some reading and research on their website. It is a huge collection of thoughts, experiments and use from the very beginning of miniature turbine use and is worth the effort to read it. By doing the research, you should be able to come up with a reasonable decision on your own if you can afford and/or have the experience and access to the materials needed to build and operate any of the engines on the GTBA website.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Jake3991

Is there a kit you would recommend for someone such as myself who has little experience in turbine engines?
Old 03-29-2011, 05:43 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: Jake3991

Is there a kit you would recommend for someone such as myself who has little experience in turbine engines?
Wren Turbines has the best kit available..
Old 03-29-2011, 06:17 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: invertmast

Old 03-30-2011, 05:13 AM
frothingslosh
My Feedback: (6)

I agree with INVERTMAST and RJBOB . . . all the "complicated" work is done for you. The price is reasonable, the build is easy, and I can guarantee success if you follow the instrs.

Mfr. support is among the best around if you have problems. My MW-54 runs like a fine watch.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:32 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That would be like buying a Bandit kit for a paper plane contest.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:49 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

That would be like buying a Bandit kit for a paper plane contest.
LOL.. I just answered the question. Personally, I think this entire idea is a huge undertaking for a "senior" project, considering graduation is only about 2 months away.

Atleast with the wren kit, if it was assembled per the directions and not mickey moused, he would be able to sell it as used and re-coup some of his money back.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:08 AM
Jake3991

I graduate in 3 months and my school offers a "Career internship program" and as I am going to engineering school I wanted to do something in that field.This program lets me leave my classes for the last month and complete the project with a teacher of my choosing, as stated above I am working with the auto-shop teacher.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:36 AM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Jake,

Here is your senior project...

[link]http://www.jethangar.com/Wren/kit.jpg[/link]

But buy it from Wren Trubines USA for a special April price...

[link]http://www.wrenturbines.co.uk/usa[/link]

Then either keep it or come back to this thread after the project and sell it to the jet community...

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/category.cfm?catID=57[/link]

I've always wanted to build one too, but I bought a JetCat. Good luck!
Old 03-30-2011, 12:46 PM
Jake3991

That seems like a great idea but eek is it expensive! I was sent something about a company called Jet Joe that sells a kit(JJ-1200) but it does not include electronics does that mean you don't need them or there's another package I am missing? Or should I just go for the wren? Or should I skip the whole micro turbine and do a turbocharger "junkyard jet"?
Old 03-30-2011, 05:43 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

That seems like a great idea but eek is it expensive! I was sent something about a company called Jet Joe that sells a kit(JJ-1200) but it does not include electronics does that mean you don't need them or there's another package I am missing? Or should I just go for the wren? Or should I skip the whole micro turbine and do a turbocharger ''junkyard jet''?

You still need electronics. By the time you're done, you'll have spent as much as the Wren kit but have an engine that may or may not actually work. With the Wren kit, you'll end up with an engine that will run and has some value.
Save yourself some headaches and go with the Wren kit.
Take it from somebody who had to work from engineer's drawings in machine shops for a long time, don't make things difficult on yourself, when there is a proven product that works, go with that one. Don't create extra work for yourself or others. You get what you pay for in life, whether it's turbines or toilet paper, eventually everything gets the job done, but you want the one that deals with $!&$ the best
Old 03-30-2011, 06:00 PM
k12rc

if you go with jj if it does run when youre done it want run long save money buy the wren
Old 03-30-2011, 06:03 PM
k12rc

if you go with jj and it does run it want run long save money buy wren
Old 04-01-2011, 12:49 PM
blighty

what would be the point of buying a kit, i would of thought that if it was a project you would make as much of it as possible. by assembling a kit just shows you can follow assembly instruction. if that's the case, go buy some Lego.

what machines do you have access to?....... and you don't need a cnc to make a turbine, you can get a way with just a lathe and a spot welder. you can make a spot welder out of two 12v car batteries. that what i did and the turbine is still going
Old 04-01-2011, 12:55 PM
dave.windymiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a pulse jet if its just for bench runs? Much easier to build and when it runs, the world will know!

I built a brauner and the plans are free from here!

http://www.pulse-jets.com/pulse3.htm