Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Quick battery question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Quick battery question

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 02:36 AM
Lil Hoss
My Feedback: (58)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick battery question

I been getting a little flack about the batteries I been using in my jets at our field. (Mixed opinions)
I guess I am "old school" I still use Ni-Cad and Ni-medal for my reciever. I really have had no issues in the past.
I am getting suggestion to run 123 batteries, lipo w/ a regulator or duel batteries.. I do understand that this would be better, BUT is it nesseary?
Now a days we are running digital servo's that draw more power. But if I test my batteries after every flight or every other flight, should I make the change??
I now use a 2700, 5 cell AA size battery in my Sprint and a 5 cell 3200 sub-C in my Elan (Ni-metal)
I guess what I am asking is should I get with the times and make the change to the new battery system???

Thanks guys

Hoss
Old 06-06-2011, 04:12 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Quick battery question

If it's not broke don't fix it! Apparently your set up works fine so there is no reason to change. Those that worry about a battery failure in flight use duals. I don't like lipos with a regulator because you need to remove the battery from the plane to charge and a regulator is one more added component that can fail and cost you a plane. A123's are OK, but due to their discharge voltage curve it's difficult to tell state of charge from monitoring battery voltage.

Unless you have real high current demands or need to go all weekend without recharging then nicads or nimh are fine. I have a friend who got talked into A123's. He lacked understanding of the batteries and charged them with the wrong charger and it cost him a jet.

There are a number of guys in this hobby that feel they always need the latest and greatest. Each type of battery has their pluses and minuses. It's important to understand your electrical requirements and battery requirements. I use nicads in all my jets.

Joe
Old 06-06-2011, 05:44 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I personally use dual Fromeco Li-Ions now, but used Nicads up until I switched for weight requirements. As Joe said, if it's not broken, don't try to fix it. Use the batteries that meet YOUR needs, that YOU are comfortable with and what has worked for YOU!! There is absolutely nothing wrong with the batts. you are using.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:54 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nicads are old stock if you are still using them, they are illegal to dispose of in any standard disposal facility and leak cadmium.

AA batteries of 2700Mah capacity have a high internal resistance and would be very stretched when asked to power only a few Digital servo's, any drop in voltage will be momentary and would not show on a voltage check after the crash as they would recover voltage after the load has been lowered.

Sub-C Nimih batteries are much better able to cope with high current draw.

A123's are the way most are going, I use them exclusively in my jets and have done for four or five years now, no need to remove them when charging (no explosion or fire risk) stable current capacity right up too 2000Mah of the 2300Mah capacity of the large cells and up too 1000Mah of the 1100Mah smaller cells, do not need a regulator for any installation except for some old JR servo's that don't take over 6volts. Most modern charges have a setting for LiFe batteries so no excuse for charging them incorrectly now days.

As with Kero start most modern turbine manufactures are now going over to the facility to use of A123's to power the ECU's as an alternative, JetCat and JetsMunt to name two.

Hope this helps.
Mike
Old 06-06-2011, 07:56 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: joeflyer

Those that worry about a battery failure in flight use duals.

Joe
I do not "worry about a battery pack failure" because I HAVE had a battery failure that cost me a KingCat that was an old friend.
That same scenario should not happen again because I now use parallel batteries, switches and regulators. If one of them goes belly up, the other one is there to do the job.
If you want to rely on a single battery (regardless of the chemistry), go ahead. Redundant power makes sense to me.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:10 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree with Harley.

My post was more directed at battery chemistry used, and not the number of batts. or condoning the single batt. As I stated, I use dual batts. and have for 8+ years. I did not have a problem, I just liked the cheap insurance it provided when the batt. and switch were the weak link.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Ad Clark
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Harley !! You'll "have it if you need it" and you will benefit from the 2nd battery lowering your impedance by half. Using Harley's approach : if you have a switch fail you still fly if you have a battery fail you still flyif you have a regulator fail you still fly. Another benefit is by sharing the load between two batteries w/ two regulators, the regulators share the load and run cooler as well. Whether or not you need it depends on whether or not something fails and how much peace of mind you enjoy.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:52 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Its apparent you have not seem every store in america that sales anything for consumer goods. the shelves are covered with them
ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

Nicads are old stock if you are still using them, they are illegal to dispose of in any standard disposal facility and leak cadmium.

AA batteries of 2700Mah capacity have a high internal resistance and would be very stretched when asked to power only a few Digital servo's, any drop in voltage will be momentary and would not show on a voltage check after the crash as they would recover voltage after the load has been lowered.

A123's are the way most are going, I use them exclusively in my jets and have done for four or five years now, no need to remove them when charging (no explosion or fire risk) stable current capacity right up too 2000Mah of the 2300Mah capacity of the large cells and up too 1000Mah of the 1100Mah smaller cells, do not need a regulator for any installation except for some old JR servo's that don't take over 6volts. Most modern charges have a setting for LiFe batteries so no excuse for charging them incorrectly now days.

As with Kero start most modern turbine manufactures are now going over to the facility to use of A123's to power the ECU's as an alternative, JetCat and JetsMunt to name two.

Hope this helps.
Mike
Old 06-06-2011, 03:43 PM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

Its apparent you have not seem every store in america that sales anything for consumer goods. the shelves are covered with them

Hope this helps.
Mike
I don't think I will judge what I put in my plane because of what WalMart sells

I made the change because my old packs were due to be changed out and the price for GOOD Nicads were not that much cheaper (in the long run) then going to A123's, and the difference in power output is not even close!!.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Lil Hoss
My Feedback: (58)

Thanks Guys for all the replies
I guess I came out of the stone age and went to A123's today.
After all the responses and advise from fellow pilots I will try them.

AGAIN........ Thanks guys

Hoss
Old 06-06-2011, 05:12 PM
FenderBean

i think they work fine, except the amount of care needed to keep them healthy. If its time for new batteries you should just get A123s, no down side to them when compared to NICADs. I agree if it works dont fix it though
Old 06-06-2011, 05:13 PM
FenderBean

Um i was just talking about the other person said about nicads , im not sure what you are talking about.
ORIGINAL: Kelly Rohrbach

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

Hope this helps.
Mike
I don't think I will judge what I put in my plane because of what WalMart sells

I made the change because my old packs were due to be changed out and the price for GOOD Nicads were not that much cheaper (in the long run) then going to A123's, and the difference in power output is not even close!!.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:23 PM
gtoro26
My Feedback: (2)

i have same issue
i have elan running with 2 2700 nimh
have not had an issue

but im waiting on my new jet small viper jet
and i am wondering to go with same setup
or go to life system no regulator required on both
what should i do?