Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Balancing question?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Balancing question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 06:08 PM
thunderchief

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancing question?

Guys,
I need to balance my jet, the main fuel tank is on the cg and the UAT is about 2 inches in front of the main tank. Should I balance the plane with fuel in the UAT or not? Thanks
Glenn
Old 10-26-2011, 06:14 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Balancing question?

Balance with UAT full
Old 10-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

Glen, you always want to balance with the UAT full regardless of the location in the plane because the UAT remains full all of the time so the weight of the UAT will never change.

BTW, while balancing with gear down is definitely a rule of thumb, I have seen instructions that say to balance with gear up.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:53 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Agree w/UAT full .. and I'd put the gear in whichever position had the rearward-most CG .. for most planes this will be gear down .. but it could possibly be gear up .. then you have the CG set for the worst case that could occur in flight. I suppose an alternate point of view is to always balance with gear down, since that's the landing config where the speed will be lowest...

Dave
Old 10-27-2011, 08:56 AM
proline8000
My Feedback: (12)

I have been told by almost all jet pilots that you balance your jet with a full UAT. I think and know that this is a dangerous practice. The weight of the fuel/oil mixture is almost 1 oz per oz of fuel. This means that you are balancing your jet with almost ½ a pound of fuel that may not always be there. Every time I have seen a turbine run out of fuel the UAT is sucked dry. This means that when you are in the worst position during a flight ( you run out of fuel) your jet (witch is now a glider and not a very good one) you may be tail heavy. Whether you are balancing a ½ control line airplane or a 747 you never balance it with usable fuel in it…..
Old 10-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Gary Jefferson
My Feedback: (167)

I guess if you are running your plane out of fuel all the time you probably need to learn how to use the timer on your transmitter.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Henk Visser

+1
Old 10-27-2011, 10:44 AM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Excellent point Gary. I will take the 4 ounces of weight where ever it is as this is the most consistent flight orientation. I think all of the jet pilots who do this on a regular basis consider the UAT fuel unusable. We sure don't like to use it and when we do, normally we aren't very happy about it. Gear config per manufacturer recommendations or as stated above, most rearward CG location.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:42 PM
KC36330

Personally i like to balance with the UAT full for the peace of mind that i can shift the UAT and balance without the necessity of dead weight (that's a biggie in my book). i know occasionally I'm gonna have the left stick in the FUN position too long and suck the UAT dry and flame out, but it's never been a problem of a major CG shift when it happens and i've had them tucked in the nose and in the tail on different models to achieve balance. most airframes that 4oz really doesn't make that much difference. YMMV
Old 10-27-2011, 12:49 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: proline8000

I have been told by almost all jet pilots that you balance your jet with a full UAT. I think and know that this is a dangerous practice. The weight of the fuel/oil mixture is almost 1 oz per oz of fuel. This means that you are balancing your jet with almost ½ a pound of fuel that may not always be there. Every time I have seen a turbine run out of fuel the UAT is sucked dry. This means that when you are in the worst position during a flight ( you run out of fuel) your jet (witch is now a glider and not a very good one) you may be tail heavy. Whether you are balancing a ½ control line airplane or a 747 you never balance it with usable fuel in it…..
Actually Jet A is around 6.75 Lbs / Gal (Varies with Temperature) , so that 4 Fluid Oz UAT would hold approximately 3.38 oz of liquid weight + weight of the UAT, not quite a 1/2 Lb

I agree with the rest I always balance with a full UAT
Old 10-27-2011, 01:27 PM
rcand

ORIGINAL: proline8000

First, NEVER, plan or time your flight that close that you may get into the UAT and ALWAYS balance with the UAT full
Old 10-27-2011, 01:39 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

What about if you dont use a UAT then what do you do
Old 10-27-2011, 03:53 PM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you do not have a UAT then balance with the UAT half full...............
Old 10-27-2011, 04:00 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I am thinking Dennis can be a real UAT sometimes.................
Old 10-27-2011, 04:51 PM
dsr71
My Feedback: (171)

on a few of my planes i have even balanced them with fuel in the main tank ,,after a dozen flights i take the least amount left in the tank do another cg check and if i can take more weight out ,no dead stick landings if fro some reason my timer is not started i land early,,seems to me most of the swept wing jet have a forgiving cg
Old 10-28-2011, 06:43 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Balance with UAT full. This is the proper way.