Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

does anyone else suffer from the build bug these days

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

does anyone else suffer from the build bug these days

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 05:55 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: does anyone else suffer from the build bug these days

ORIGINAL: MaJ. Woody

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

I buy wrecks and rebuild them!
So do I.....there called ARF's[X(]

Ha! LOL
Good one Dom.

Marty
Old 12-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why buy a wreck when you can make your own?!!
Old 12-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

You do not need deep pockets if you scratch build. I'm building two enlarged Ziroli Turbinator's (see the thread) and with everything bought brand new minus the turbine and radio gear it will be less than 1K$ in funding for each one. While it will not be a large scale jet or the quality of a BVM plane it will satisfy my urge to build this winter; and finish a project that my spotter and I have talked about for over a year about doing. I have a lot of kits in the shop rafters as they are getting hard to find and I am saving my BVM planes until I am in the mood to build a really nice kit. Last winter I built a 60" BVM F-86 EDF and scratch built a Ziroli Panther for EDF. Two a year at home is pretty much all I can get done with work getting in the way. LOL
Old 12-05-2011, 06:31 AM
DustBen
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a nasty habit. If I have equipment to put in planes, I build new planes.

To make it all the more problematic, I acquire more equipment whenever I see a bargain.

It's a never ending habit...

I have 6 planes RTF at the moment and another 4 receivers and 30 or 40 servos available (plus I've been buying some really great, double BB, metal gear, mini's that transit .08 seconds and make 44 ozs torque: $9.33 ea. I buy 'em 4 or 6 at a time).

And of course, now that I'm moving into electrics, I need to try different motors and LiPo's...

There is NO hope for me.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:54 AM
luckyb

Sometimes I think the guys from up North are blessed. They actually have a building season. We fly all year and with maintenance and accidental turf cotact( especially with warbirds), we have little time to build. An average warbird takes a little longer to build. I wish I was looking for something to do...........Doug.......Meisterland South.....P.S. Want to spend a couple of months building? I have a spare room.........lol
Old 12-05-2011, 08:34 AM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: luckyb

Sometimes I think the guys from up North are blessed. They actually have a building season. We fly all year and with maintenance and accidental turf cotact( especially with warbirds), we have little time to build.

That's one of the reasons i got out of the building service. with no off season i never had time to get caught up with builds for customers, i had people dropping off something new every week, some wouldn't even call and ask me, they'd just show up with their new kit/arf and ask 'when can i expect to pick it up?'. now i only build for a few select customers. that spare room you mentioned i'm slowly starting to get mine back as it was once piled with the build projects i had backlogged, and i'm getting to actually fly my own stuff most every weekend.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:45 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Im just lucky, I dont seem to have much maintenance (knock on wood) and its usually something I cannot fix. My jets down for electrical part fix, which should be back late this week so im hoping for good weather this weekend.
ORIGINAL: KC36330

Sometimes I think the guys from up North are blessed. They actually have a building season. We fly all year and with maintenance and accidental turf cotact( especially with warbirds), we have little time to build.

That's one of the reasons i got out of the building service. with no off season i never had time to get caught up with builds for customers, i had people dropping off something new every week, some wouldn't even call and ask me, they'd just show up with their new kit/arf and ask 'when can i expect to pick it up?'. now i only build for a few select customers. that spare room you mentioned i'm slowly starting to get mine back as it was once piled with the build projects i had backlogged, and i'm getting to actually fly my own stuff most every weekend.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:00 AM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Nope, because there's always at least one project on the bench (not always a jet).  Flying season in the Pacific Northwest can start as early as Feb. and end as late as Nov.  I don't watch a lot of TV or spend a lot of time in these forums so this leaves plenty of time at night to build and/or assemble arfs.

The latest project on the bench is a 80 inch BVM F-86.  Earlier this year I built and detailed a Ziroli Panther. 

Kirk

Old 12-05-2011, 01:00 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sometimes I think the guys from up North are blessed. They actually have a building season. We fly all year and with maintenance and accidental turf cotact( especially with warbirds), we have little time to build. An average warbird takes a little longer to build. I wish I was looking for something to do...........Doug.......Meisterland South.....P.S. Want to spend a couple of months building? I have a spare room.........lol
You do have a building season. Its the middle of the summer when no-body wants to even go outside during the daytime. [&:]

I hate u guys that can fly all year 'round....

PaulD
Old 12-05-2011, 01:04 PM
toprudder

ORIGINAL: hooker53

+ 1
Truth be known, Roy, you will pull them out of a trashcan, too. I won't say what you are.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:13 PM
geh3
My Feedback: (84)

YES!

1. I just fixed a boomerang Torus after a flameout that was too low to land properly.. minor damage but I am a perfectionist when it comes to   
     repaired aircraft strength!!
2. Currently working on this...  http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10838282
3. + I have  Ziroli Turbinator kit here that I want to modify a bit to make it less "boxy" and to lower drag a bit.. later in the winter

after that who knows...maybe spring will be here by then
Old 12-05-2011, 02:57 PM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

Winter is settling in and I'm bitten by the building bug bad.. only problem is I don't know how to build!!! On my 4th or 5th kit and its not showing a lot of promise, the others having gone the way of scrap. Think problem is most kits I get are beginner rated, (which I would debate), and most of the wood is 1/16th or such, which I consistently end up breaking, i.e. trying to do things like carve yer own ribs for a tapered symetrical wing has been a nightmare, and frankly havent learned a lot from it. I should probably try something like a 1/4 or 1/5 Sig Cub and see if I can get ONE kit built! Otherwise, I'm a bit of an ARF basher, (trying to learn building so can attempt some scale stuff some day), and I would have a project on the table all the time if I could afford it. Takes me about 2 months to knock out a quality ARF assembly, but when done they are done, require very little tweaking or trim, no glue messes or such rookie stuff. Hell.. I feel like I almost bond with the plane during the process. But when done.. about 3 days later I'm pacing around the garage... need an airplane to work on!!! Yeah.. no hope for me either!!
Old 12-05-2011, 03:01 PM
FenderBean

This is SOOOOO true!!!!
ORIGINAL: PaulD

You do have a building season. Its the middle of the summer when no-body wants to even go outside during the daytime. [&:]

I hate u guys that can fly all year 'round....

PaulD
Old 12-05-2011, 03:03 PM
Tampaflyer
My Feedback: (42)

i find i am more of a builder than a flyer. andi fly a lot too. but i am always working on something. IF i run out of money to complete one i move to what i can do on another. if it takes too long i go to a project that completes in a day or two. like a foamy parkjet.

right now i am trying to complete a 1/4 scale DR-1... and also palying with a bluecore parkjet.

I want to do a modified rfb fan trainer kit next, then a f-89...i also have a GM f-4. and other misc kits

i want to start a 747/shuttle combo....

but this gets more compleicated as other kits and planes come along so affordably that i can't pass them up.. and i like to convert to electric ..
like a pica fw190-d.. and CBM f16..., pbn nomad, kmp p-38

and its get worse because most don't build at all and kits may be harder to find but no one seems to want to build them .
Old 12-05-2011, 03:16 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

ORIGINAL: toprudder

ORIGINAL: hooker53

+ 1
Truth be known, Roy, you will pull them out of a trashcan, too. I won't say what you are.
Are you kidding? folks throw away some really good potential!!!!!
Old 12-06-2011, 10:59 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Pilots added.
Rcpete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69673.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1696515   Click image for larger version

Name:	By76479.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	1696516   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17995.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1696517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78479.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	1696518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31393.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1696519   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94291.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	1696520   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32583.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	1696521  
Old 12-07-2011, 05:59 PM
FenderBean

My problem is the size of my projects, the only things I will buy and fly have to be 90+ inches in length. Well unless its a helicopter but even those I like 90 size. Oh well got some new pc games to keep me sane these days.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:20 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a CARF Tutor on the bench and a Ultra Bandit that needs smoke installed over the winter. At my build pace, I'll be done in 2013. I wish I had free time for games. I still have MW3 and BF3 sitting in shrink wrap.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:26 PM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: dubd
.......... I wish I had free time for games. I still have....... BF3 sitting in shrink wrap.

leave it there, it's garbage if you liked Bad Company [&o]
Old 12-07-2011, 06:54 PM
roger.alli

ORIGINAL: Radical Departure

Winter is settling in and I'm bitten by the building bug bad.. only problem is I don't know how to build!!! On my 4th or 5th kit and its not showing a lot of promise, the others having gone the way of scrap. Think problem is most kits I get are beginner rated, (which I would debate), and most of the wood is 1/16th or such, which I consistently end up breaking, i.e. trying to do things like carve yer own ribs for a tapered symetrical wing has been a nightmare, and frankly havent learned a lot from it. I should probably try something like a 1/4 or 1/5 Sig Cub and see if I can get ONE kit built! Otherwise, I'm a bit of an ARF basher, (trying to learn building so can attempt some scale stuff some day), and I would have a project on the table all the time if I could afford it. Takes me about 2 months to knock out a quality ARF assembly, but when done they are done, require very little tweaking or trim, no glue messes or such rookie stuff. Hell.. I feel like I almost bond with the plane during the process. But when done.. about 3 days later I'm pacing around the garage... need an airplane to work on!!! Yeah.. no hope for me either!!
Hi R.D.

If you really want to learn how to build, I would suggest getting hold of a BVM Elerctra Kit. It can be powered with either a 60 turbine or or EDF. This model is a relatively big build project as it has built up wings and all formers need to be installed. It would not suit a totally inexperienced builded, but if you have some skills you should be fine.

The big advantage of building a kit like this is it will teach you lots of techniques for other projects. The build is not complicated and the instruction and plans detail exactly how each step is accomplished. If you get really stuck, BVM offer great after sales assistance by phone or email. The manual even details what tools and glues are required, so there is really no guesswork. All the parts are produced from the best quality materials as the kit is manufactured in BVMs Florida factory.

The manual can be down loaded from BVM website if you want to investigate further. http://www.bvmjets.com/JetKits/elect...tra-manual.pdf

And to make it relative to the thread, I'm building one this winter (summer).

BTW, I am not a rep, but have built a few of this type of BVM kit. They are great fun to build and teach you a lot..

Roger
Old 12-07-2011, 10:38 PM
k_sonn

ORIGINAL: roger.alli

Hi R.D.

If you really want to learn how to build, I would suggest getting hold of a BVM Elerctra Kit. It can be powered with either a 60 turbine or or EDF. This model is a relatively big build project as it has built up wings and all formers need to be installed. It would not suit a totally inexperienced builded, but if you have some skills you should be fine.

The big advantage of building a kit like this is it will teach you lots of techniques for other projects. The build is not complicated and the instruction and plans detail exactly how each step is accomplished. If you get really stuck, BVM offer great after sales assistance by phone or email. The manual even details what tools and glues are required, so there is really no guesswork. All the parts are produced from the best quality materials as the kit is manufactured in BVMs Florida factory.

The manual can be down loaded from BVM website if you want to investigate further. http://www.bvmjets.com/JetKits/elect...tra-manual.pdf

BTW, I am not a rep, but have built a few of this type of BVM kit. They are great fun to build and teach you a lot..

Roger
Couldn't agree more, the Electra kit is nice to build. Here are the two that I've built. Also, I'm not a BVMrep either, just a satisfied customer.

KIrk
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94726.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	1696968   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61550.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	1696969  
Old 12-07-2011, 11:15 PM
bigplumbs
Banned

I have 3 jet kits that I should get on a build this winter but I have sort of developed an interest in 30 cc petrol planes so the jet kits (well arf's) seem to have gone on hold

Dennis
Old 12-08-2011, 07:06 AM
Radical Departure
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: k_sonn

ORIGINAL: roger.alli

Hi R.D.

Roger
Couldn't agree more, the Electra kit is nice to build. Here are the two that I've built. Also, I'm not a BVM rep either, just a satisfied customer.

KIrk
Many Thanks guys! I'll certainly check them out. I hadn't considered BVM, will now. Thanks again!

Kirk, Lived in Issaquah back in 68-69, doubt I would even recognize the place now, recall that North Bend was nice too.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:09 AM
k_sonn

Kirk, Lived in Issaquah back in 68-69, doubt I would even recognize the place now, recall that North Bend was nice too.
You're right about that. This area has grown so much that the only thing seperating it from the other Seattle east side surburbs is Lake Sammamish. It's nestled in the foot hills of the Casade Mountains and gives us Microsoft employees a nice alternative to living in Redmond or Bellevue.

If you decide to build an Electra and need any help, feel free to contact me.

Kirk
Old 12-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: DavidR

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

Definitely, me too. When I was into aerobatics, I'd spend the winter building a nice Carden. The last 3 years, I've been into jets, I miss the building. You don't ''build'' a jet, you assemble it and it can take you as little as 2 weeks. It certainly doesn't get you through the winter. I started a Flash a couple of weeks ago and it's almost done and it's only Dec. 4. Got at least 4 months of winter ahead of me.

Mike

No offense but you obviously have not ever built a BVM scale jet. I have several projects for this winter. Finishing a 80'' BVM Sabre for a customer, building a new set of wings for my F100 that got damaged when I ran out of fuel. Building a BVM F16 for electric power. I have enough models in stock and as a back log I could build for the next 20 years and never finish them all. Try a real build job and I guarantee it will satisfy you at least all winter long.

DR
GAH.. between you and Redman taunting us out here with BVM F-16 kits tucked away..

I REALLY wish Bob would revisit that airplane.. Seems PERFECT for E-power to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.