Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JET LEGEND VIPER BUILD THREAD

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JET LEGEND VIPER BUILD THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 01:16 AM
Jason R.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fly off a grass strip about 700 feet long and have usually rotated around halfway or just after. I have a K100 and carry a 20 oz tank in smoke tank position as extra fuel. You could also try a rolling start, so that is to start opening throttle to full before you are lined up for take off, That way your engine is at full when the nose is lined up and you pick up speed quite quick. There is also another viper at my club with a P80 and he uses a little more runway than me but still has no problems.

Jason
Old 09-01-2015, 02:58 AM
barger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Google maps has the runway at 473 feet so sounds like i will have a critical decision around 350 feet .I will post results tonight.Forecast 5 knot head wind.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:08 AM
barger

Originally Posted by FenderBean
I have noticed with the fuel aft more they rotate much faster. Might be something to think about as well.
I had planned sod farm opertation so runway length was not supposed to be a issue.They are going to harvest the field i normally fly from and they have fertilized they heck out of it.If this does not work today i might have to reconfigure fuel tanks over the winter.

Last edited by barger; 09-01-2015 at 03:11 AM.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:09 AM
barger

Delete
Old 09-01-2015, 05:53 PM
barger

Success!.....Thank you everyone for help and advice it was a good day.....Hot and muggy foggy zero wind.Went with Mikes suggestion of empty smoke tanks and Jasons suugestion of a turn at the end to full power.....around 350 feet it rotated with no tip stall then quickly accelerated out. ....What can i say unbelievable jet so fast and agile. A little nose heavy but was expecting that quickly trimmed that out and felt comfortable really quickly.Flap check needs a little more down elevator mixed in trimmed that out and then did some high speed passes ......so exhilarating what a fantastic jet I think on a cooler day i will be able to go with full smoke tanks.Thanks again to all for help with my first turbine model☺ Greg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC_0004.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	624.0 KB
ID:	2117779   Click image for larger version

Name:	2-DSC_0029.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	442.7 KB
ID:	2117780   Click image for larger version

Name:	3-DSC_0056.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	543.9 KB
ID:	2117781   Click image for larger version

Name:	4-DSC_0069.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	747.6 KB
ID:	2117782   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jet5.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	2117783  

Last edited by barger; 09-01-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:36 AM
Jason R.

Congrats Greg, happy to hear of another success. You will become more comfortable with it every time you fly it.

Jason
Old 09-02-2015, 07:16 AM
barger

Originally Posted by Jason R.
Congrats Greg, happy to hear of another success. You will become more comfortable with it every time you fly it.

Jason
Thank you Jason i had a flameout on short final of the maiden and was able to coast in ok.Checked the history this morning and it said user shutdown so i think what happened i made a rookie mistake from habit of flying other models .What do you do if your coming a little fast with a gas plane ?Trim down the idle and we know what that does on a turbine model.So i will learn from that potentially expensive mistake.Wonder if you can program shutdown to a different. switch.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:06 PM
M3Baker

Originally Posted by barger
Thank you Jason i had a flameout on short final of the maiden and was able to coast in ok.Checked the history this morning and it said user shutdown so i think what happened i made a rookie mistake from habit of flying other models .What do you do if your coming a little fast with a gas plane ?Trim down the idle and we know what that does on a turbine model.So i will learn from that potentially expensive mistake.Wonder if you can program shutdown to a different. switch.
I fly giant scale gassers too. Sometimes I take both jets and gassers to the field on the same day. You just got to remember which one you're flying at the time. For me, it became natural after some time of flying jets to not touch the trim tab while flying. I bet you'll get used to it in time. Your landing approaches and speeds will become natural with a few more flights.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:09 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Brake went out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuKkvGnR_f8
Old 09-02-2015, 07:12 PM
gsmarino2000
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by barger
Success!.....Thank you everyone for help and advice it was a good day.....Hot and muggy foggy zero wind.Went with Mikes suggestion of empty smoke tanks and Jasons suugestion of a turn at the end to full power.....around 350 feet it rotated with no tip stall then quickly accelerated out. ....What can i say unbelievable jet so fast and agile. A little nose heavy but was expecting that quickly trimmed that out and felt comfortable really quickly.Flap check needs a little more down elevator mixed in trimmed that out and then did some high speed passes ......so exhilarating what a fantastic jet I think on a cooler day i will be able to go with full smoke tanks.Thanks again to all for help with my first turbine model☺ Greg
Congrats, Greg! looks very nice in the air. BTW I'm jealous of your grass runway. May be a nuisance for takeoff but really nice for landing. Not to mention nice to look at.

Greg
Old 09-02-2015, 07:15 PM
M3Baker

Originally Posted by essyou35
Saw this video on your Facebook page earlier today. Didn't realize that's what happened. Wondered why the runway departure. Looks like all ended up well though.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:27 PM
essyou35

Yeah it was pretty minor, I landed a bit hot too of course.

One side locks up the other side only has a bit of friction so will figure it out. The darn screw holding the tire on has stripped on the head so have to tap it out.

I also forgot I fixed one of my struts with care axle oil, it now has tons of stiffness. The other side sags badly, only a fraction of the suspension in it. So when I pull up now I am already in a left turn

I've had this viper nearly 3 years now so its time to do some maintenance on the main struts and brakes.

You going to Route 66 jets?
Old 09-02-2015, 07:34 PM
M3Baker

Yeah it was pretty minor, I landed a bit hot too of course.

One side locks up the other side only has a bit of friction so will figure it out. The darn screw holding the tire on has stripped on the head so have to tap it out.

I also forgot I fixed one of my struts with care axle oil, it now has tons of stiffness. The other side sags badly, only a fraction of the suspension in it. So when I pull up now I am already in a left turn

I've had this viper nearly 3 years now so its time to do some maintenance on the main struts and brakes.

You going to Route 66 jets?
No, I'm not going to make Rt 66 jets. I'm going to take a week and go to Super Jet South later in the month. Our daughter is still living in Georgia, so we can tie in some family time while down there.
In October I'm going to be spending a good deal of time in Lincoln and Omaha, getting my business going up there. We'll have to get together and fly some if time and weather permits.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:17 PM
essyou35

Sounds like a plan. I could definitely use some good flying company.

Originally Posted by M3Baker
No, I'm not going to make Rt 66 jets. I'm going to take a week and go to Super Jet South later in the month. Our daughter is still living in Georgia, so we can tie in some family time while down there.
In October I'm going to be spending a good deal of time in Lincoln and Omaha, getting my business going up there. We'll have to get together and fly some if time and weather permits.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:04 PM
Jason R.

As long as your viper is still good to go Greg, you will learn to master the landings in no time. I land without brakes 95% of the time and use less strip for landing than i do for take off on my grass strip. Even flying off a sealed strip only the slightest touch of brakes is needed.

Jason
Old 09-03-2015, 03:33 PM
erwin peters

Hello, what batteries capacity are you using for Rx. I am planning to have like 6 flights with 8 minutes per day.
Do you think this jet would flight great ( not to heavy ) with a Cheetah Sp ??
Regards
Erwin
Old 09-03-2015, 06:17 PM
gsmarino2000

Originally Posted by erwin peters
Hello, what batteries capacity are you using for Rx. I am planning to have like 6 flights with 8 minutes per day.
Regards
Erwin
I've standardized on dual 2S2100 LiFe feeding a PowerSafe receiver. Way overkill on capacity but you never have to worry about having to recharge at the field.

Greg
Old 09-03-2015, 06:54 PM
M3Baker

Originally Posted by erwin peters
Regards
Erwin
I'm using two 2600mAh life 2S. Can get 6 flights in with no problem. I fly an 8 minute flight.
I think a Cheetah SP is too much. Not that the jet won't handle the speed, but you won't get very long flight times. A Rabbit SP works really well. I can get 180mph full throttle passes on a normal day. Faster if the weather is a little cooler.
I guess if you used the saddle tanks and center tanks for fuel you could get a decent flight time with the Cheetah SP. I know for a fact that the airframe has been tested well in excess of 200mph.
The Cheetah will burn 4 more oz per min. (16 oz per min) compared to the Rabbit SP at 12 oz per min. Rabbit weighs 2.2 lbs and the Cheetah weighs 2.9 lbs.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:29 AM
essyou35

180mph? Did you use radar? Not that I don't believe you but I figured 140 on my K100.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:44 AM
M3Baker

180mph? Did you use radar? Not that I don't believe you but I figured 140 on my K100.
State trooper friend clocked me with his radar. Parked at the end of the runway. Got one pass at 186.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:51 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Baker
State trooper friend clocked me with his radar. Parked at the end of the runway. Got one pass at 186.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	th.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	2118063  
Old 09-05-2015, 03:36 PM
gsmarino2000

Not a good day.

I was practicing more knife edge passes without the wingtips. Anyway it snapped out on me - can't remember what exactly what happened, there were two people talking with me at the time). Plane was backlit and too far away - I couldn't get the orientation right. I had almost recovered when it went behind the ridge. When I realized that I couldn't save it, I shut down the turbine. Went down in a cornfield, corn at least 8 feet tall and we had a heck of a time but finally found it. Between the corn stalks and the ground it pretty much destroyed the wings, fuse and canopy :-(. All internals, batteries and electronics okay except a hole in one smoke tank and a small dent in the engine front cover. So I have a message into Jose Melendez about getting another airframe.

Greg

Last edited by gsmarino2000; 09-05-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:27 PM
M3Baker

Originally Posted by gsmarino2000
Not a good day.

I was practicing more knife edge passes without the wingtips. Anyway it snapped out on me - can't remember what exactly what happened, there were two people talking with me at the time). Plane was backlit and too far away - I couldn't get the orientation right. I had almost recovered when it went behind the ridge. When I realized that I couldn't save it, I shut down the turbine. Went down in a cornfield, corn at least 8 feet tall and we had a heck of a time but finally found it. Between the corn stalks and the ground it pretty much destroyed the wings, fuse and canopy :-(. All internals, batteries and electronics okay except a hole in one smoke tank and a small dent in the engine front cover. So I have a message into Jose Melendez about getting another airframe.

Greg
Greg,
Sorry to hear about your viper. Jose is traveling this weekend and won't be back in the shop until Tuesday. There is a Jolly Roger scheme in stock in California. It's an arf pro wired version and should be available for immediate shipment. If you want to order a replacement air frame, it will have to come from China. I'm sure you'll hear back from Jose on Tuesday.
Again, sorry to hear about your loss.
Paul
Old 09-06-2015, 01:15 AM
Jason R.

Sorry to hear about this Greg. It is a shame to lose a model that flies as good as these do.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:45 PM
barger

Originally Posted by gsmarino2000
Not a good day.

Greg
Sorry to hear about your viper Greg......Turbine survived and everything else will help take some sting out of it.What scheme are you thinking about the ferrari is nice looking or the british.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.