Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

BVM F-16

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

BVM F-16

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 12:40 PM
tisdall_80

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BVM F-16

I've bought a BVM F-16. It's built but not finished. Just wondering if anyone has a copy of the photos which go with the instructions ? Any help would be greatly appreciated..

I plan to put a jet Munts vt80 in it. Will post some pics shortly.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BVM F-16

The kit includes full size plans and a comprehensive photo illustrated instruction manual.

We can send you a manual if you need it. Send an e-mail to [email protected] for the price and shipping information.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:36 PM
tisdall_80

Thanks.. I've just sent you an email.. Cheers
Old 08-02-2012, 05:03 PM
tisdall_80

Any info on turbine conversions this model would be great.. I already have tailpipe. Just working out fuel tanks etc for it.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:13 AM
skyhawknut
My Feedback: (3)

BVM has a conversion kit for it. Make sure you reinforce the horizontal stabs.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:04 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The problem with BVM as well as Yellow is realstate for equipment, or lack thereof, its a tight fit

Have you considered EDF as an option. It is a great kit but the gear really takes a beating at higher wing loading.
My honest opinion, this was a great DF model but converting it to turbine really pushes the envelope.

Think about it, this would make a superb EDF model.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:03 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

EDF conversions for the BVM F-16 are a great idea.
About a yearor two ago, I was pestering BV to sell me the completed turbine powered F-16 that he had stored in the backshop. He said he had other plans for it, so one Saturday he and I got it down and we stripped the turbine equipment and inlet out of it to begin the EDF conversion. From start to finish, the EDF conversion basics were completed in a day or two. The conversion is a simple job that the average modeler can complete in a week of evenings.
The P-60 bypass tube and tailpipe ended up in the Bandit ARF Mk II prototype.

The EDF conversion kit includes everything needed to convert a Vio Fan version to BVM 12S EDF.
The "Vio Jet" or "Vio Fan" fan mounts remain in the airframe, and two of the three 4S batteries replace the saddle tanks. A hatch must be cut from the fuselage bottom directly behind the main landing gear mount frame to contain the third 4S battery pack.

A conversion from a turbine powered airframe to a BVM EDF unit will require the installation of a ducted fan inlet trunk and the EDF/Vio Fan mounts.

The 12S EDF conversion really breathed some new life into the F-86.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:25 PM
SCALECRAFT
My Feedback: (13)

A few pics of my BVM F-16 Dynemax/scorpion 630, 12s (6sX2) 5300, 45-65c.

AUW 16lbs and forgiving on landings if CG in correct location. Even on dead stick.

This air frame is almost the same size as my yellow F-16C (green version). The parts are almost interchangeable with very minor work..

After a some flying time on this configuration, it is going my Wren 54MKIII 14lbs thrust/aprox 7 oz per minute. I have seen a Yellow F-16 fly on a GoldenWest FD3/67 ( also have one) very well. It only produced 8lbs of thrust, has a greater weight and used more fuel..

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49808.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	1788531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76972.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	134.9 KB
ID:	1788532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns44237.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	1788533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tm31247.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	1788534  
Old 08-09-2012, 08:16 PM
tisdall_80

Steve. I see your elevator servos are in a different spot from mine. Did you modify the position of them?
I like the leading edge mod..

Cheers Andrew
Old 08-09-2012, 08:18 PM
tisdall_80

A couple of pics of undercarriage installation
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79816.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1790598   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13516.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	1790599  
Old 08-10-2012, 06:58 AM
samdimaio
My Feedback: (106)

Completed BVM F-16 EDF conversion and first flew it with the conversion at the First In Flight Jet Rally in May of this year. Harley Condra worked on the 16 at First In Flight but I'm not sure if he actually saw it fly. Harley is a real gentleman and was very helpful resolving a main wheel problem. BV and many others saw it fly this past weekend at the Mid Summer Afterburner Jet Rally in Hamburg, PA. The BVM EDF conversion is very straightforward. We are using the BVM EVF 2 12s fan unit and the three 4s 65c 6600 mah Thunderpower batteries. We had been flying the F-16 with BVM 91 power. By comparison, the performance with the EVF is vastly improved - especially takeoff and vertical - and we typically fly off grass. Probably have 30 or so flights with EDF power. Not quite turbine level performance with the EVF, but very, very close. And the reliablilty factor now allows you to slow-fly the plane which is very important - although I cant seem to convince my 2 sons to try this - they dont want to waste the amps on slow flight. So much power that you will need to throttle back on some manuevers - like the max turn for example. With the EVF, flight times are 4:30 max. Make sure your landing gear is operating 100% - cycle the gear several times before each flight and refill - you may want to consider adding a gear fail-safe device or at least add an extra air tank for more volume. Also make sure your nose gear has the aluminum moving parts - not the black carbon fiber filled nylon - send it back to BVM for the mod. to aluminum. Also, make sure you have the aluminum nose gear flex arms - not the black plastic. Don't forget the stabilator re-inforcement shown in the manual - this applies to both the turbine and EDF conversions. If you have any questions on the flight characteristics, feel free to call Anthony 610-322-7456 or Steve 610-324-2928 or any questions about the plane itself and the conversion call me (sam) 610-436-5552.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:32 AM
ozief16

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Andy,

Sam is spot on about the upgrades to the gear. If you end up grabbing that tank from me and want to get the gear stuff done, just have BVM send the parts to my place and I'll throw everything in one box for the trans-pacific haul

Dave

PS-I'll get that volume to you this weekend

Sam,

What turbine did you have in there? I've got one built and flying electric and another half done for turbine. I know lots of guys have done the P-60, but I think I'd like some more oomf. Think we could cram a P-100 in?
Old 08-10-2012, 08:40 AM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Im sure the P 100 will fit , I have seen p80s in these airframes so a 100 should be no problem. Your problem will be fuel, I have one with a functional center belly tank and may just drop a p100 in it.Its going to get small real fast! I saw sams fly at Hamburg this past weekend and it was looking good.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:42 AM
tisdall_80

Did a little bit more on the F-16 last night.. Found one of the aileron was warped. Luckily I was able to straighten it by splitting the trailing edge and apply some heat.. Just have to reglass and its good as new..
Old 08-17-2012, 11:55 AM
ozief16

I was thinking the 100 would have to be turned down a bit. I've got the BV conversion kit, but can't remember how much fuel that is...I was hoping it would be enough for a turned down 100. I can't see using much more than a P-60 except for T/O, go arounds and hi-alpha flying. Anyone have any ideas here?

I guess part of me doesn't want to buy an old motor that is pretty small when I could buy the newest/latest/greatest for just a bit more money, and very little excess weight (maybe even up weight-wise when you consider all the valves, etc) that would provide me options for bigger airframes in the future.

Dave
Old 08-17-2012, 09:22 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jetkopter

Im sure the P 100 will fit , I have seen p80s in these airframes so a 100 should be no problem. Your problem will be fuel, I have one with a functional center belly tank and may just drop a p100 in it.Its going to get small real fast! I saw sams fly at Hamburg this past weekend and it was looking good.

Hey Don, did you ever get to fly that F-16 on the P80? The F-16s flew well on ram 500, and i was curious how it would have flown with the fully bypassed p-80. The original glo powered ones flew ok as well.. Lots of runway needed

The p100 would fit perfectly, but there is not much room for fuel. The wet center-line tank might be more of a necessity rather than option depending on power plant selection and power rating.

~V~
Old 05-03-2013, 07:55 PM
ozief16

Well guys, here's an update to al old thread.

I ended up doing the conversion from EDF to turbine on my old F-16. I originally had an EvoJet Booster 90 in it (first 6-9 flights). It was a borrowed motor, so I pulled it out (worked great tho, easy install, quick response, etc), but I was getting nervous with it being borrowed, so I replaced it with a Wren 54SS. About the only change between the two is that the Wren is about 2oz lighter, but is propane while the Evo is kero start.

I am quite happy to have the extra thrust, especially at our density altitude. I am just starting to get comfortable slowing the jet down and working it down. I'm getting to the point where I can fly it around with full aft stick and ~3/4 power and the rudder. Impressive to see if I get it right. The plane doesn't drop a wing, the sink rate just goes through the roof if you don't keep a hand in the power.

I get about six minutes from either of the engines and the stock BVM fuel tank arrangement.

I've found the gyro called for in the conversion kit to be mostly useless.

I hope this helps guys

Dave
Old 05-05-2013, 05:34 AM
Jetkopter

Wojy, I put a p 100 in it , I get six minutes on the main tanks with no reserve and an additional 4 minutes with the belly tank installed. I never did fly it on the P-80 . I dragged it out of the basement last month and went through the whole plane. The small size of the Version 10 ECU makes the turbine install alot better. Next nice day at Hamburg im going to give it a try .
Old 05-06-2013, 03:08 AM
tisdall_80

I just bought a NIB P70.. I think that will power mine nicely.. I now have three BVM F-16's in various stages of completion..
Old 05-06-2013, 03:09 AM
tisdall_80

Actually if anyone has a spare nose wheel gear door lying around i would like to buy it??
Old 07-16-2013, 12:33 AM
tisdall_80

Well its been a while since my last post.. I've dragged the F-16 back out and started working on it.. I now have another kit and also another complete flyable F-16 in ducted fan setup.. This gives me a total of three BVM F-16's..
The grey one which is in the pics is now going down a different road.. I picked up a brand new BVM 10s setup which I'm going to install in it.. Last night I began installing the ventral fins and modified the original ducting to fit the evf setup.. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this fan setup?? And where I can buy batteries for it from at a reasonable price??
Old 01-31-2020, 02:59 PM
Auburn02

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Bumping an old thread - maybe there is a more recent one, but with 3 different versions of BVM F-16s everything more recent I could find pertained to the 1/6th and 1/5th models.

Anyways, anyone have any tips on disassembling the main gear to either add a spacer or at least replace the spring? Working on one now and it basically bottoms out the main struts when sitting on the gear, springs are super soft or worn out I imagine. I haven't weighed the airplane but it's no pig. This one was originally converted and flew on a P-80 with the centerline tank, I've got a Jets Munt 70 in this one so it will actually be on the light side as far as a turbine conversion go, though I have not yet weighed it.

Is 7.5-8" from the wing leading edge/fuselage break about right from what I've found?
Old 02-01-2020, 05:43 AM
MaHo

Originally Posted by Auburn02
Bumping an old thread - maybe there is a more recent one, but with 3 different versions of BVM F-16s everything more recent I could find pertained to the 1/6th and 1/5th models.

Anyways, anyone have any tips on disassembling the main gear to either add a spacer or at least replace the spring? Working on one now and it basically bottoms out the main struts when sitting on the gear, springs are super soft or worn out I imagine. I haven't weighed the airplane but it's no pig. This one was originally converted and flew on a P-80 with the centerline tank, I've got a Jets Munt 70 in this one so it will actually be on the light side as far as a turbine conversion go, though I have not yet weighed it.

Is 7.5-8" from the wing leading edge/fuselage break about right from what I've found?

The springs are ok! They sit on block on the ground, that is then stabil for crosswind and so on.
Mine is only 6,2kg and nearly to light for the original bvm springs.

My cg is 150mm.
Still my favorit plane...
Good luck and fun with yours!
regards Martin
Old 02-03-2020, 06:01 AM
Auburn02

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for the reply Martin - I haven't gotten this one on a scale just yet, but I suspect it will be a bit heavier than yours. If they are springs, they can certainly wear out just like any other spring. This main gear will compress 100% with just a slight load and will not unload without lifting the tail by hand.

When you say 150mm, I presume you are measuring straight back from the leading edge of the wing? If my eyes were right when I checked that yesterday it looked to be about 8.5" (215mm) down the leading edge, so just a bit behind the 8" BVM suggests.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:16 PM
MaHo

Yes straight!
They are soft. On the ground and at the start they are always compressed. They do minimal damping when you land, also because of the lead of the wheels, i think.
regards Martin