Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Xicoy brake and dual action valves????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Xicoy brake and dual action valves????

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 10:15 AM
Colin Gontier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Mark,

Yes you are right - I described the normal operation of the valve there, too used to tapping out the standard reply for people to set up ! I have edited my reply to show the new action.

regards

Colin
Old 04-12-2015, 10:26 AM
Mark Vandervelden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Colin Gontier
Hi Mark,

Yes you are right - I described the normal operation of the valve there, too used to tapping out the standard reply for people to set up! I have edited my reply to show the new action.

regards Colin
Your edit

"The new valve covers both options - in factory delivered state it works as the old version did i.e. system not pressurised on startup but if you power up after programming then press the button it will switch to pressurised mode when powered up in the future. Best to power off after programming, the switch on again, check actions are correct then power off and power on again. At this point you can press the button to toggle pressurised status."

Yep,that works but now I will have to relearn to have the switch were I need it to be when I switch on :-)

Unfortunately there's still only air being passed through to the gear wile the RC is actually powered, there's no air allowed through when powered off ie no power equals no air to lock the gear or hold doors up or out. Worst still the air pressure that was remaining in the U/C rams is being vented! This is not the end of the world but some U/C need air to be safely locked down to allow the airframe to be safety parked or moved in the pit area. With these valves when you switch off any air in the system is vented back through the valve from the gear and door rams, it could result in the U/C collapsing. A
irframes would have to be back on there stands before switching the RC off after its flights to be safe unless its left both with air and switched on. I often leave some air pressure on-board wile parked up to keep gear locked but cant leave them switched on all day :-)

I cant remember but with other E-valves like the Jetronc ones do they power off and allow the air to pass through them as you left them when you power off or close both sides to retain the air in the retract system "or" like the X-icoy ones simply vent the air down stream of the valve?

Last edited by Mark Vandervelden; 04-12-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:12 PM
mavrick
My Feedback: (1)

Yes Viny from DreamWorks.
Mav
Old 04-12-2015, 11:05 PM
Colin Gontier

Mark - the Xicoy valve is the only valve I am aware of that gives you both options on start up condition. Pretty good considering they are lower cost than others as well. I am not aware of any electronic valves that leave pressure on when the system is switched off - the Jettronics vent the system when powered down. These valves are solenoids so need power to actuate.

With regard to knowing where the switch needs to be - view it the same as the throttle - you wouldn't be turning a model on with the throttle up. Its just one of those pre-flight checks that needs to be done. Interestingly on the new JR28X you can program a warning for switch settings when you power up. I have activated this on my 28X for the gear switch.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:20 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Same with the Jeti all switches, sticks, sliders, knobs.....can be pre-flight program and the radio will not turn on if anything program items are not in the right position....I got one of each for my xcalibur
Old 09-30-2015, 07:31 AM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

I just installed two of these valves on my SM Cougar. Speed Brakes and Canopy driven from a Spectrum channel Xpander module. Do they care whether they see a two or three position switch? Both have to be driven from three position switches at the Tx but only operate to open or close the brakes/canopy. Would it be better to program the Tx so that the valve never sees a mid position? Just using two of the three switch positions?
I ask because the Speed Brakes are a little on the sticky side due to geometry and hinging and it seems as if the valves stop porting air to the down side after a bit of time if a brake gets hung up.
I admit I haven't "programmed" them yet as they seemed to work fine out out of the box. That may be a factor too. I hope they normally stay open or closed anytime the switch is in the corresponding position and air pressure is available.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:33 AM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you need that one valve be open all the time, regardless of command, then you should use a 2 position switch. On a 3 position switch you will have 3 states: OPEN A, BOTH CLOSED, OPEN B. So at mid point, both valves will be closed.

Gaspar
Old 08-23-2016, 08:37 AM
Johnny9390
My Feedback: (34)

I have the single V1 valve for my brakes set on a slider on my DX18. Question how do I program it to work as a proportional valve for braking? Right now even on a slider with end points from 0-100 it's either brakes on or brakes off. How to i get it to modulate ??
Old 08-23-2016, 09:19 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny9390
I have the single V1 valve for my brakes set on a slider on my DX18. Question how do I program it to work as a proportional valve for braking? Right now even on a slider with end points from 0-100 it's either brakes on or brakes off. How to i get it to modulate ??
From my notes on my cell phone:
Press setup button during power up then release, LED blinks @ 1x pace.
Set transmitter to brakes off position then press setup button. LED blinks @ 2x pace.
Set transmitter to brakes on position and press setup button again.
Press setup button while open (brakes on ?) for pulsed mode.

It goes through air pretty quickly in pulsed mode.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:23 AM
BlueBus320
My Feedback: (57)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong? Can only get mine to operate one way (gear down), I've tried a 2 & 3 pos switch, but no luck as of yet.
Heres a video: https://youtu.be/MPvb8RZkCWMJay
Old 12-08-2016, 06:29 AM
bri6672
My Feedback: (6)

Originally Posted by BlueBus320
Can anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong? Can only get mine to operate one way (gear down), I've tried a 2 & 3 pos switch, but no luck as of yet.
Heres a video: https://youtu.be/MPvb8RZkCWMJay
Have you tried using a servo programmer to operate, just to remove any radio programming from the equation... it the valve using the factory settings or did you change anything or try to program it?
Old 12-08-2016, 06:58 AM
BlueBus320

I have not tried a servo programmer, I'll give that a try tonight. I just went through the setup process that was in the instructions, other than that it is set to factory settings.
Jay
Old 12-08-2016, 07:59 AM
bri6672

Well they are ready to go right out of the box so if you went thru a setup then something most likely got mixed up and that's why it's not working.. servo programmer just takes the radio programming out of the equation so try that and then maybe try reprogramming the valve back to factory default per the instructions on the side of the unit.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:26 AM
BlueBus320

Thanks a million Brian, your response is truly appreciated. I will give it a try tonight & report the results.
Jay
Old 12-08-2016, 10:12 AM
husafreak

I have two of those in my Cougar, can't remember the setup steps but it was easy (maybe I got lucky?). I checked my transmitter just now, on the two position switch travel is +100 to -100, on the three position switch which I use as a two position switch travel is +100 to -100 to -100. I have heard that if you have air leaking around the piston (not an air leak to the outside but rather blow by in the piston/cylinder sea then that can cause odd problems with those valves. But I doubt that is your problem. You can always contact Gaspar at Xicoy directly through his website store for setup advice. Or whoever you got it from, mine were from Dreamworks.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:26 PM
BlueBus320

Made a better, more explanatory video. I think I really have a defective unit. I purchased it from Dreamworks at Florida Jets, & will bring them in on it.
There is a big release of air when trying to retract the gear electronically which leads me to believe it's an internal leak.
https://youtu.be/NRkFWrUx1PM
Old 12-09-2016, 08:42 AM
husafreak

Well yes air is released through the hole in the back of the unit during normal operation.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:29 AM
bri6672

Before you send it in, clamp off both the outgoing lines and see if you still get the problem, if the air leak stops when the lines are clamped then the valve is fine. I had a similar issue on a jet and it ended being a bad air cylinder not the valve.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:36 AM
BlueBus320

Thanks guys. Could it be a bad cylinder even though it works perfectly in the manual mode with no power to the valve?
Jay
Old 12-09-2016, 10:54 AM
bri6672

Jay,

if if you want, give me call on the number in my signature and I can walk you thru it.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:25 AM
BlueBus320

Thanks Brian, I will give you a call. Works out that you are on the west coast. I'll try you around 4:15 your time.
Jay
Old 12-15-2016, 07:18 PM
BlueBus320

Figured I'd update this. Dreamworks sent me a new replacement unit (free of charge.. Thank you Todd!), & it worked perfect right out of the box. My problems were due to a defective unit.
Thanks for the help guys!!!
Jay
Old 10-16-2017, 10:21 PM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

Default Using on brakes

Originally Posted by wfield0455
From my notes on my cell phone:
Press setup button during power up then release, LED blinks @ 1x pace.
Set transmitter to brakes off position then press setup button. LED blinks @ 2x pace.
Set transmitter to brakes on position and press setup button again.
Press setup button while open (brakes on ?) for pulsed mode.

It goes through air pretty quickly in pulsed mode.
Hope this helps.
It seems on my T33 for wheel brakes if I have it on pulse and put on the brakes then release them, no more air for a second try.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:47 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flyrcjets
It seems on my T33 for wheel brakes if I have it on pulse and put on the brakes then release them, no more air for a second try.
If you have a small air tank for brake that wouldn't surprise me. Mine goes through air very quickly at any partial brake settings because it's simply venting the excess air out the exhaust port.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:14 AM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

Unhappy brakes

Originally Posted by wfield0455
If you have a small air tank for brake that wouldn't surprise me. Mine goes through air very quickly at any partial brake settings because it's simply venting the excess air out the exhaust port.
Umm , curious about PARTIAL brake settings. I have tried different size tanks and it just lets ALL the air out, no second usage. I have it set on my DX18 for straight on and off with pulsing. I wonder if I should turn off the pulse action.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.