Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Xicoy brake and dual action valves????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Xicoy brake and dual action valves????

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 12:25 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flyrcjets
Umm , curious about PARTIAL brake settings. I have tried different size tanks and it just lets ALL the air out, no second usage. I have it set on my DX18 for straight on and off with pulsing. I wonder if I should turn off the pulse action.
That is exactly how it work in proportional mode. When partial brakes are selected It constantly pulses air to the brakes and then opens the vent and exhausts it losing air from the tank with each pulse. At full brakes it shouldn't pulse, it should simply direct air to the brakes and leave it on so if your brakes aren't leaking it shouldn't continue to lose air.

From what you said it sounds like you have it on a 2 position switch which wouldn't give you proportional braking anyways so I'd suggest you turn proportional mode off in the brake valve. If you have it on a slider and are simply moving it to full on and full off and it is still pulsing at full on then you need to repeat the setup procedure or something..

Last edited by wfield0455; 10-17-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:30 PM
dccatl
My Feedback: (1)

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by flyrcjets
Umm , curious about PARTIAL brake settings. I have tried different size tanks and it just lets ALL the air out, no second usage. I have it set on my DX18 for straight on and off with pulsing. I wonder if I should turn off the pulse action.
If you go to full brakes on you should not loose any air, it only pulses, and therefore bleeds, air between brakes full off (valve closed) and full on (valve open), if yours is not working that way you should re-do the setup procedure.

I have mine configured for pulsed operation on my 14SG, I found that with 1 small (Robart) air tank I only had enough air for one landing roll-out and would be out of air by the time I taxied back to the pits. I added a 2nd small air tank and now have enough air for a few actuations. I have my brakes on a slider/lever, my technique is after touchdown I give about 3 quick cycles from off to about 3/4 of full on, this is all pulsed mode operation so I loose quite a bit of air, then I do a relatively slow cycle (about a second and a half maybe) from off to full on to come to a stop, then one last cycle of off to full on to stop in the pits. I start a flight with my brake tanks at about 100 psi, and after this routine I usually end up around 40 psi. I did stop using pulsed mode while I was waiting for a 2nd air tank but I found it was too easy to lock up the brakes.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:38 PM
flyrcjets
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes

Thank you guys for the info. I have it on my slider set full off and full on. I changed from a bvm smooth stop to this and now thinking I'll go without the pulse and just keep the brakes lubed so as not to lock up..as much!
Old 05-21-2018, 11:30 AM
taz-manian

Hi guys

I have two of those valves installed in my Xcalibur , the gear cycling works great , but with the sigle action valve I only get the brakes to lock up , even though I have greased the discs ,and whe I tried the pulsed mode they empty the air tank in just one flight .
Has anyone tried using a robart air restrictor in the brake feed line? , I used 2 of those to slow the gears down , so I guess it might work with the brakes as well????
Old 05-22-2018, 02:28 AM
jjantti

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure about brake design in Xcalibur but I assume it to be traditional rubber O-ring against aluminium wheel hub. They do need grease once in say 20 landings... And often they are still too aggressive to be used with normal landing gear pressure. Pulsating linear operation does consume air... no doubt about that.

But I'm pretty sure that restrictor doesn't work on brakes. There is not much air flow just pressure to work with. Limiting servo travel for brake valve might work.

Because of that I have two systems on my Hawk 3bar / ½liter bottle and pulsating single valve for brakes and 6bar/1 liter for retracts and doors.

/Jyri
Old 02-25-2019, 06:25 PM
YellowAircraft

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm reading through all this to find out what 'dual action' means. Lil' help? Does it do P-51/F-15 style where the main door opens and closes back?
Old 02-25-2019, 06:47 PM
Auburn02

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Think of dual action like a two channel valve - gear up/gear down, doors open/doors closed, speed brake open/speed brake closed. Where as a single action would be for something like wheel brakes, where it’s just on or not on.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:23 AM
YellowAircraft

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Auburn02
Think of dual action like a two channel valve - gear up/gear down, doors open/doors closed, speed brake open/speed brake closed. Where as a single action would be for something like wheel brakes, where it’s just on or not on.
Thanks!

I've always used mechanical valves like U.P.-3's. How do you time the cycle with a Xicoy? Delays and sequence timing?
Old 02-26-2019, 05:02 AM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Has anyone had valve leaking problems? I have had three new ones leak in the last 3 years. Gasper claims that it is the system, but it isn't, due to replacing the valve with another same valve and the leaking issue goes away. Bohetec retracts don't leak and are better quality then this valve. Gasper claims my system leaks. I tested the whole system, but when the system is electronically powered and not cycling, the valve leaks with a soap test. Bubbles come out around the push buttons. Only way for it to get there, it to come up from the electronic part of the valve. I took one of them apart to see that it is leaking at where the square rubber seals meet the aluminum manifold. The surface is rough. Brought this to Gasper's attention, he blames my system. Yet, as I have said, I replaced it with another one of his valves, and the leak goes away. Sent one back to Dreamworks, who forwarded it onto Gasper more then 6 months ago. Not a word. Gasper told me that if I had to use retracts that needed a 100 psi, the standard pressure to fill to, that I shouldn't use his valves. Right now, I am done with his products. Engines included.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:56 AM
Bobneal1
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default restrictor

You need the restrictor on the exhaust side of the valve, unfortunately, the is no exhaust fitting to place it on with a Xicoy single valve. it works well on the Jettronic single brake valves though.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:26 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by YellowAircraft
Thanks!

I've always used mechanical valves like U.P.-3's. How do you time the cycle with a Xicoy? Delays and sequence timing?
The valve itself doesn’t do the sequencing. It needs a command to move from a switch that operates the valve in sequence with the dual action gear valve. You need two dual action valves for gear and doors.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:45 AM
rjmonroe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Xicoy V1s Brake Valve

Can anyone help me with the setup of the pulsed mode on this valve?
Old 05-26-2019, 12:13 AM
affas

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi,

I do have this V2 valve in my FW 190 and would like to havce retract pressurized so the landing gear don`t collapse when powering off. Is it possible and how to program?
Old 05-26-2019, 01:25 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

What gear brand you have?

Normally once the gear is down and lock you no longer need air pressure....same applied for the up position.

Nut if the bear collapse that would mean to me it’s either not going to the locking position or doesn’t it have a lock position which would be strange, since event the low price one does...
Old 06-02-2020, 05:11 AM
rameshtahlan

Originally Posted by rjmonroe
Can anyone help me with the setup of the pulsed mode on this valve?

I hope someone can do a video on how to programme the Xicoy V1s for brakes, on a 3 position sw, so that it is OFF at Pos 1, FULL ON with sw in the centre/ Posn 2, and PULSED with sw at 3rd position or Posn 3.

I am not able to figure it out.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:17 PM
rameshtahlan

I an also using the Xicoy Double Valve system for main gear, Works perfect.
So then i programmed it for proportional/ pules mode,
This almost completely empties the entire pressure in the tanks with one cycle of gear.
So i then reprogrammed the gear for normal operation.

I am sure the same thing will happen for the brakes if programmed for pulsed mode.
in which case it will reed a separate tank for brakes and possible with a good capacity also.

Last edited by rameshtahlan; 06-03-2020 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:42 AM
Auburn02

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes, I have found pulsed mode to be a neat gimmick but essentially useless for the reasons you mention.