Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

powerbox sensor switch temperature

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

powerbox sensor switch temperature

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 12:25 PM
bluescoobydoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default powerbox sensor switch temperature

I have just finished my 1/6 f16 and while range testing I noticed the sensor switch is getting a bit warm anyone else noticed it? I does say in the instructions that it can get to 60 degrees.
I used this same set up in a slightly smaller f15 but I was wondering if the longer leads to the elevator are the reason for it. I have a futaba 6014 with a orbit powerjack, sensor switch and two 2200mah 7.4v lipos, will it need a upgrade to a powerbox Gemini?
Old 04-11-2013, 12:36 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: powerbox sensor switch temperature

ORIGINAL: bluescoobydoo

I have just finished my 1/6 f16 and while range testing I noticed the sensor switch is getting a bit warm anyone else noticed it? I does say in the instructions that it can get to 60 degrees.
I used this same set up in a slightly smaller f15 but I was wondering if the longer leads to the elevator are the reason for it. I have a futaba 6014 with a orbit powerjack, sensor switch and two 2200mah 7.4v lipos, will it need a upgrade to a powerbox Gemini?
I think the Sensor is too little for a 1/6 F16. I got my hands on one a few days ago, and the specs say 3 to 5 amps depending on airflow. I would say we have zero airflow, so in the 3 amps range. Assume you are consuming 500mah per flight, and each flight is 10 minutes from start to finish, on average you are consuming 3amps. So the sensor is good for the averages, not the peaks

I would upgrade to something bigger or go LiFe and skip the reg

Just my 2c
Jack
Old 04-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Having one of the first Sensor switches made still flying and a dozen in other models, plus I've sold going on for 500....if you can hold your thumb on the heat sink when you land, its OK.
It is a bit tight if 500mAh (250 per pack) would be a large draw and yes too much for a sensor. The 3-5A is a peak. My Two Flashes both use 100-160mAh per pack, per flight.
Even my 3-D Universe with 2 vector servos and 2 gyros was just OK (with a vent under the heat sink)

Me I'd want an Evolution PB unit in a 1/6th Scale F-16, not for the 10A regs, but for the long leads and signal boosting.

Dave
Old 04-11-2013, 09:19 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Like Dave, I have been using this switch for years with perfect results, but I think I have finally reached its max in my F-22 with 6014 and two LiIons. The sensor switch is great in the right application, but it does have its limits and it looks like we have both reached it.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:06 PM
bluescoobydoo

dave
will the powerjack not boost the signal/voltage enough?
Old 04-11-2013, 11:58 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

ORIGINAL: bluescoobydoo

dave
will the powerjack not boost the signal/voltage enough?
Yes, sorry with the Powerjack you get that. So in your installation it does not apply (what I said!)

Dave
Old 04-12-2013, 03:14 AM
bluescoobydoo

sounds like i need to test a bit more and probably end up with a gemini
Old 04-12-2013, 03:46 AM
ela

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a range check I suppose you should not draw many amps from the reg. Are you sure everything is moving whitout any resistance? The sensor can take 10 amp peaks easily but this is ofcours easy to misunderstand so i understand why they keep a low profile on that. If it is ok for yor application or not you have to figure out yourself, depends on many thing like what type of servoes and equipment you hva chossen ofcourse. You can also skip the lipo for the A123 or Life instead and the heatsink will have a much easier job i guess.

I use the sensor in A Carf hawk, a Carf edge 91" and a 6meter Ventus and i love this regulating switch. It just works as it i supposed to. I have never used it with Lipo.