Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

DX18 opinion

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

DX18 opinion

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 04:57 PM
jetdriver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX18 opinion

What are users of the DX18 saying about this radio. I have one but have not flown it yet. thanks
Old 06-23-2013, 05:52 PM
Xantos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: DX18 opinion

I'm using it on my Bobcat with full telemetry with the 12ch Rx TM1000 and a GPS sensor and on my Comp ARF Viper with a Cockpit SRS Spektrum receivers thru a iGyro
upgraded the firmware to 1.04c
No problems so far
Old 06-23-2013, 06:49 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Been flying jets with the DX18 for almost a year and not one glitch. Really happy with it.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:48 PM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The best radio I have owned/ operated thus far.
Regards Al
Old 06-24-2013, 04:00 AM
never-enuff
My Feedback: (11)

All of my jets on it and really liking it.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:40 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I dont do jets yet but mine does bombers. Really like its flexibility.
Edwin
Old 06-24-2013, 04:52 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

I'd have to think the jet guys would love the built in sequencing and servo speed options.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:22 AM
Mark Vandervelden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, The DX18 is very versatile and very easy to use, feels good to hold, runs for hours on one charge and is cheap. Down side is despite using DMS2 and DMSX since the day it came over thousands of flights and not a single problem that could not be accounted for. Now with the DX18 in just three months and with some of the same airframes I had three lockouts or should I say erratic prolonged "glitches" on three different airframes all out of my control with no fail safe and three complete loses of airframes all with the same symptoms ending up costing thousands. I am now back with JR equipment since January and have flown virtually every weekend, again not a single problem. Horizon have brilliant after sale backup and replaced the TX FOC and gave me a FOC Rx but with no explanation, I could not bring myself to use it. Draw your own conclusions. Perhaps some DX18 work and some don't but I am not the first to suffer lock outs with the DX18. I sincerely hope yours is a good one. Sorry Spektrum, I've been a fan since day one but this one let me down big time
Old 06-24-2013, 06:56 AM
Jack Diaz

Mark, sorry for your loss. It hurts !

As a constructive criticism, you shouldn't have waited for so many lockouts and airframe losses before sending that radio to be replaced.
I am sure Horizon service department would have done that immediately at an earlier stage.

No matter which brand, I always test my radio gear with inexpensive airframes many times before using them on my jewels. I have had Many surprises !!

Electronic or mechanical components don't have any sense of responsibility. [:@]

Jack
Old 06-24-2013, 07:56 AM
Mark Vandervelden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Jack. You are completely correct in what you say and indeed on its first outing I did fly with it in a cheap inexpensive airframe and it worked fine over several flights. Later that first day I committed it to a 30cc Extra that had been flown successfully before on both my DX7, DX8 and JR DSM12. During its second flight with the DX18 I had a almighty "glitch" of full down and could not shut the throttle. After raking through the wreckage and finding that every thing RC wise worked despite being damaged went back to using the Tx on the cheap foam airframe for a few outings to see if I could repeat the problem but it worked with out a hitch. Conclusion was it must have been time for the Rx in the Extra to fail but as that Rx was badly damaged it wasn't likely to be air tested. Over the next few weeks and many flights the Tx was slowly promoted from foam park flyers to bigger airframes and finally when my confidence was restored into my Jets for which it was bought. Around 30-35 flights later in this jet it suddenly exhibited the same symptoms as the Extra from months before. A wild "Glitch" but this time full up and no control of anything else including the throttle which remained at full power right to the ground. I could be seen clearly holding my tx high with the stick back and was completely locked out wile wild aeros at full power were being displayed out of my control . Again after every thing worked on the ground. This airframe had flown many times before faultlessly with other TXs. A full range check was made on the ground with that Rx and one other and found to be in well in excess of the recommended. I then got out my trusty Foamy ACRO WOT and had a test flight over the same area at the fated Jet had just flown to and crashed just 20 minuets earlier. This was a big ask of the small airframe as the jet had been a lot larger and it was 200-250 meters away when the jet had struck the ground so this small airframe was at its limit. No problem so after 3-4 minuets of circuits at that distance I brought the foamy back towards me at about 30 degreas on a steady course at 3/4 throttle at about 150-200ft when "WOW" a full down prolonged glitch and now at full throttle, Tx held high and throttle stick once more held back ( a throw back from years of F3F, F3B, F3J and 27-35meg days) gave no response and the airframe struck the runway. Again every thing worked fine once it was scraped up. Concussion was the Tx was the common factor and had a consistent and intermittent fault that had been repeated on three different RXs and could take weeks, days or just minuets to repeat its self. This was not a Tx I could any longer have confidence in. My R/C installs are often commented by many as being very neat and in fact do many builds for others, so far I have had with this exception 100% success with no other losses to date. I am very careful to learn how to use any components to there full advantage and try never skimp on cost. I try to be pragmatic when I have a problem and will readily accept blame if I cock up. Any mishaps in the past have fortunately had a clear explanation but I feel this was beyond my control and feel very let-down by what promised to be a very good Tx. You asked but I don't feel that there is any other conclusion other than this particular DX18 TX failed and let me down other DX18 seem to be fine. I have used DMS" and DMSX with confidence for years and do not blame in any way this 2.4 setup just this particular TX. I've not had issues before this Tx or since. I will not comment on particular issues that others have had with this TX but have been contacted by others with similar problems with there DX18 TXs, Perhaps they should comment as there not sponsored or sell this product so like me can be candid.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:36 AM
DevilsPilot

hands down love it, never had even a glitch or an issue what so ever.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:49 AM
mitchilito
My Feedback: (7)

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mark Vandervelden

Hi, The DX18 is very versatile and very easy to use, feels good to hold, runs for hours on one charge and is cheap. Down side is despite using DMS2 and DMSX since the day it came over thousands of flights and not a single problem that could not be accounted for. Now with the DX18 in just three months and with some of the same airframes I had three lockouts or should I say erratic prolonged ''glitches'' on three different airframes all out of my control with no fail safe and three complete loses of airframes all with the same symptoms ending up costing thousands. I am nothis w back with JR equipment since January and have flown virtually every weekend, again not a single problem. Horizon have brilliant after sale backup and replaced the TX FOC and gave me a FOC Rx but with no explanation, I could not bring myself to use it. Draw your own conclusions. Perhaps some DX18 work and some don't but I am not the first to suffer lock outs with the DX18. I sincerely hope yours is a good one. Sorry Spektrum, I've been a fan since day one but this one let me down big time
This is very strange and unfortunate. I've been literally wearing my DX18 out the past year and a half and not one single glitch. I fly gliders (HIGH!) big gassers and jets amongst many other small electric helis and airplanes and really - not a single glitch.

I love it.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:01 AM
Jack Diaz

Mark, no question that your approach and the steps you took to be sure that it was not a Tx problem were correct.
It would be very patronizing to claim that the fault is in your installations. In most cases, it is just a sure way to never debug the real cause.

As a member of Team Horizon, my main (and probably selfish) motivation is to contribute with my experiences, to have the most reliable equipment I can get. So, as you clearly said, other fellow pilots who have had problems should contribute with their experiences in a constructive, non bussiness motivated approach, to let the manufacturers know of these issues if there are similar ones. Direct communication with the manufactures is almost always the most effective way.

Thanks for taking the time for your explanation.

Jack
Old 06-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Chris Pyrah

Been using mine for a few months now on electric models, gliders and jets ,fortunately no problems .Has anyone outside the UK had any problems,
Old 06-24-2013, 12:12 PM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Not one problem here. I love the fact I don't have, to charge the battery every time I use it, like my DX8.
Programming it is so easy too. It feels good in your hands. I just love it
Old 06-24-2013, 12:12 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mark Vandervelden

Hi Jack. You are completely correct in what you say and indeed on its first outing I did fly with it in a cheap inexpensive airframe and it worked fine over several flights. Later that first day I committed it to a 30cc Extra that had been flown successfully before on both my DX7, DX8 and JR DSM12. During its second flight with the DX18 I had a almighty ''glitch'' of full down and could not shut the throttle. After raking through the wreckage and finding that every thing RC wise worked despite being damaged went back to using the Tx on the cheap foam airframe for a few outings to see if I could repeat the problem but it worked with out a hitch. Conclusion was it must have been time for the Rx in the Extra to fail but as that Rx was badly damaged it wasn't likely to be air tested. Over the next few weeks and many flights the Tx was slowly promoted from foam park flyers to bigger airframes and finally when my confidence was restored into my Jets for which it was bought. Around 30-35 flights later in this jet it suddenly exhibited the same symptoms as the Extra from months before. A wild ''Glitch'' but this time full up and no control of anything else including the throttle which remained at full power right to the ground. I could be seen clearly holding my tx high with the stick back and was completely locked out wile wild aeros at full power were being displayed out of my control . Again after every thing worked on the ground. This airframe had flown many times before faultlessly with other TXs. A full range check was made on the ground with that Rx and one other and found to be in well in excess of the recommended. I then got out my trusty Foamy ACRO WOT and had a test flight over the same area at the fated Jet had just flown to and crashed just 20 minuets earlier. This was a big ask of the small airframe as the jet had been a lot larger and it was 200-250 meters away when the jet had struck the ground so this small airframe was at its limit. No problem so after 3-4 minuets of circuits at that distance I brought the foamy back towards me at about 30 degreas on a steady course at 3/4 throttle at about 150-200ft when ''WOW'' a full down prolonged glitch and now at full throttle, Tx held high and throttle stick once more held back ( a throw back from years of F3F, F3B, F3J and 27-35meg days) gave no response and the airframe struck the runway. Again every thing worked fine once it was scraped up. Concussion was the Tx was the common factor and had a consistent and intermittent fault that had been repeated on three different RXs and could take weeks, days or just minuets to repeat its self. This was not a Tx I could any longer have confidence in. My R/C installs are often commented by many as being very neat and in fact do many builds for others, so far I have had with this exception 100% success with no other losses to date. I am very careful to learn how to use any components to there full advantage and try never skimp on cost. I try to be pragmatic when I have a problem and will readily accept blame if I cock up. Any mishaps in the past have fortunately had a clear explanation but I feel this was beyond my control and feel very let-down by what promised to be a very good Tx. You asked but I don't feel that there is any other conclusion other than this particular DX18 TX failed and let me down other DX18 seem to be fine. I have used DMS'' and DMSX with confidence for years and do not blame in any way this 2.4 setup just this particular TX. I've not had issues before this Tx or since. I will not comment on particular issues that others have had with this TX but have been contacted by others with similar problems with there DX18 TXs, Perhaps they should comment as there not sponsored or sell this product so like me can be candid.

I dont fly jets, but I have been flying for 35+ years. I havent had any problems with the DX-18QQ I have, until I read your post. I had one of my World Models T-34 used for club racing go in one day. on the third lap I told the guys I am having an issue and pulled out of the race. this happened on the pylon #1. while in the turn I had an elevator issue and whil on the straight I yelled out I am crashing. I lost elevator and it nose over into the ground. I usually race at 15-20 feet so I didnt have time to pull the throttle back. We couldnt explain what happened. All the servos and control set up has to meet the racing rules so there wasnt an issue with that stuff. We couldnt explain the error. two weeks later i lost another one where i lost the elevator. When we inspected the plane we found the elevator clevis not hooked to the elevator. we took that as the crash. It could have poped off during the crash.

So now i am a bit worried to fly with this transmitter.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:39 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Mark sorry to hear about your loss. We have another jet pilot in our club who lost his JL F4 about a month ago. He has flown this model extensively on Spektrum gear. Went the same route as you and tried it in a foamy first, where it performed just fine.
Then commtted his F4 to the DX18 and it went in. It range checked OK before flight. Weird!
I have heard of a F3 glider pilot having a similar problem but I have not details yet.
John
Old 06-25-2013, 12:09 AM
chrigui

I FLY WITH Dx18QQ in my jets without any problem... it's recomended to update the firmware to last version...and fly in dsmx modulation

Old 06-25-2013, 05:35 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

That's awesome with the F-104 in the background!
Old 06-25-2013, 02:28 PM
jetdriver

Thanks to everyone for replying to my question. I appreciate all of your imput.

BTW, chrigui , that is an awesome looking plane , what is it? I like it!!

Mickey Edmonds
Old 06-25-2013, 09:35 PM
chrigui

hello .... it's L-29 Delfin from AIR-C-RACE

Old 06-26-2013, 10:06 PM
Elmtreepete

Hi all - I have had my DX18 since January this year. I used it initially with foamies and 'orange' receivers, which i've previously used with my JR DSX9 Tx with not one problem. With the DX18, all three models suffered not what i'd call 'glitches', but total lockout - two went in and the third i recovered.
Then i decided ok, i'll only use Spektrum receivers. Flying an electric glider one evening, about 50 ft, total loss of control, recovered, loss again and then went in breaking the fuz. This had a 7 ch Spectrum rx with satalite rx. Been flying this for probably two years or more with the JR Tx, not a single glitch.
i have two jets which are currently bound to the DX18, but i have no confidence to use them with the DX18 and will probably re-bind to the old DSX9.
Like others, I would be the first to admit to 'pilot error', but this did'nt apply to any of the above occasions.
Couple of other mates have this tx, and I think it's fair to say that they are 'nervous' about using the DX18.
Bearing in mind people like Ali M fly with the DX18 far more than me, with no problems and apparent confidence, have I got a duff one??
As others have said, lovely Tx to hold and programme etc, but i'm very disapointed at the moment.
Finally - just loaded the latest firmware update (1.04c i think), which apparently includes in the blurb 'RF issues' - have they found something??
Old 06-26-2013, 10:11 PM
chrigui

very hard improvements in RF trasmission... in DSM2 and DSMx mode
i fly now with jet turbine and i have not problem

Old 06-27-2013, 06:41 AM
Terry Holston

I have been flying mine on several different aircraft since last Aug. Never a glitch. I have NOT upgraded the software. If it ain't broke don't fix it I say. I love the programing, much better than my 12X, too.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:49 AM
chrigui

it's highly recommended update the firmware due RF improvements

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.