Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti-duplex-ds-16-2.4-ghz

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 06:04 PM
Malcolm Kay
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everybody for your input, I used Dons method and went to butterfly, and it was too simple it gave me what I wanted with the bonus of crow braking so I'll go that way, but thanks for the prompt replys... MK
Old 04-27-2016, 03:10 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray Millington
Hi all,
Can you please advise,
I want to connect 2 button switches to my 16 ds,
I tried the stick switches (without connecting them) but as i fly with my thumbs on the top of the sticks i found them difficult to use.
I want to connect the button switches using the spare solder pads provided for the stick switches,
Adjacent to the solder pads there are 3 wires they are Brown,Red and Orange,
My question is which of these wires is the common?
Sorry if this is obvious but i did not want to make a mistake with the connections and possibly damage my transmitter
When i connect these switches will the system automatically detect them?
regards Ray.
Ray,

Just curious where you plan to mount the additional 2 button switches if not on the sticks ? Not sure I see a place on the transmitter where buttons could be added and be accessible other than one of the current switch positions. Of course if you were going to simply replace some of the existing switches with push buttons they drop right in with no soldering or special wiring required, just order the appropriate switch, put it in place and connect using the supplied ribbon cable.
Old 04-27-2016, 05:38 AM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, 2 items in this Tx , I would change, first is the annoying message that the RX switch has to be turned on, even though, I am just setting up the radio, and second, if I want to change the name of a existing model, you can't.
Rcpete

Last edited by rcpete347; 04-27-2016 at 05:40 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:20 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by rcpete347
Hi, 2 items in this Tx , I would change, first is the annoying message that the RX switch has to be turned on, even though, I am just setting up the radio, and second, if I want to change the name of a existing model, you can't.
Rcpete
Not sure which message you are referring to. Do you have an R3/RSW configured to turn this model on/off? If so, the confirmation message only pops up if receiver control switch is in the On condition. If you are getting this message each time you power up the transmitter then make sure the control switch is in the OFF condition unless you actually want to power up the model. You can also set a pre-flight condition so that the transmitter won't transmit until all required switches, such as power control, gear down, etc, are in the correct pre-flight position. The confirmation messages that pop up when when you actually toggle the control switch to ON or OFF are to ensure that you don't accidentally turn the airplane on or off. It's a safety thing but probably more important when powering OFF then when powering ON. Still, if you don't toggle the switch you should get the message if you are just doing setup and don't need to power the airplane on.

If you aren't using an R3/RSW to control power to the model, then the only other message I can think of is needing to press OK each time you power up the transmitter. If you don't want to see that, go to the System, Configuration menu and set "Disable startup question" to Yes.

As for not being able to change the name of an existing model, sure you can, simply select the model, Select Model, Basic Properties menu, select the model name and change it to anything you want.

Last edited by wfield0455; 04-27-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:35 AM
Ray Millington

Hi Wayne,
Before i had my 16Ds i was using a Graupner TX i think it was an MC24?(it was the one with 2 screens the top screen was for the telemetry data display)this tx had 2 button switches on the rear of the tx case they fell neatly under your fingers i found this very usefull as there was no need to look down at the tx to operate these switches,any way i liked this feature ,
My 16 ds has all the switch spaces allocated and i do not want to loose any of them so as i said i tried the stick switches but found them difficult to use as i fly with my thumbs on top of the sticks so i did some very precise measurements and have positioned 2 Jeti button switches on the back of the tx case they are in clear space and do not cause any obstruction to any other components,
As all the switches are used the only option i have to connect these switches to the system is with the solder pads provided for the stick switches
The jeti button switches have the usual n/o,n/c ,and the common but i realised i did not know which was the common connection of the 3 solder pads,
I do not have the electronic knowledge to work out if the switch system on Jeti is potential free and so did not want to induce a voltage in the wrong place by wiring them incorrectly.
I hope you can understand my explanation thank you for your reply
best regards Ray
Old 04-27-2016, 09:22 AM
wfield0455

Hi Wayne,
Before i had my 16Ds i was using a Graupner TX i think it was an MC24?(it was the one with 2 screens the top screen was for the telemetry data display)this tx had 2 button switches on the rear of the tx case they fell neatly under your fingers i found this very usefull as there was no need to look down at the tx to operate these switches,any way i liked this feature ,
My 16 ds has all the switch spaces allocated and i do not want to loose any of them so as i said i tried the stick switches but found them difficult to use as i fly with my thumbs on top of the sticks so i did some very precise measurements and have positioned 2 Jeti button switches on the back of the tx case they are in clear space and do not cause any obstruction to any other components,
As all the switches are used the only option i have to connect these switches to the system is with the solder pads provided for the stick switches
The jeti button switches have the usual n/o,n/c ,and the common but i realised i did not know which was the common connection of the 3 solder pads,
I do not have the electronic knowledge to work out if the switch system on Jeti is potential free and so did not want to induce a voltage in the wrong place by wiring them incorrectly.
I hope you can understand my explanation thank you for your reply
best regards Ray
Ray,

Yes, your explanation was very clear and I wondered if perhaps you were considering adding the switches to the case back. I like that idea very much and can see how that would be very useful. Unfortunately I've never added stick switches to a DS16 so I probably can't be all that helpful on that aspect. Still, I had assumed that color coding of the wiring would make the connection clear when wiring up the stick switches. There does appear to be some fairly vague information about switch switch and button installation in the transmitter manual which seems to indicate you can tell which wire goes were based on their length. IT also describes how to activate them.

A google search also found a video of a stick switch being installed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJgbH6ifveU

Not sure of any of this helps much but best of luck with you project and let us know how you make out..
Old 04-27-2016, 11:34 AM
Ray Millington

Wayne,
Thank you for the reply i have now contacted Jeti and await their reply,
I will certainly post the results here.
Ray.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:48 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Originally Posted by wfield0455
Not sure which message you are referring to. Do you have an R3/RSW configured to turn this model on/off? If so, the confirmation message only pops up if receiver control switch is in the On condition. If you are getting this message each time you power up the transmitter then make sure the control switch is in the OFF condition unless you actually want to power up the model. You can also set a pre-flight condition so that the transmitter won't transmit until all required switches, such as power control, gear down, etc, are in the correct pre-flight position. The confirmation messages that pop up when when you actually toggle the control switch to ON or OFF are to ensure that you don't accidentally turn the airplane on or off. It's a safety thing but probably more important when powering OFF then when powering ON. Still, if you don't toggle the switch you should get the message if you are just doing setup and don't need to power the airplane on.

If you aren't using an R3/RSW to control power to the model, then the only other message I can think of is needing to press OK each time you power up the transmitter. If you don't want to see that, go to the System, Configuration menu and set "Disable startup question" to Yes.

As for not being able to change the name of an existing model, sure you can, simply select the model, Select Model, Basic Properties menu, select the model name and change it to anything you want.
HI, I don"t what radio your using, but in Basic Properties, their is no option to change the name, also to answer the first question, when I turn on the radio, a minute later, the radio says to " Check position of the RC Switch" it is off, why do I get this message and your answer was not much help, since you did not say Where to go in the menu.. You might know where to go to Disable startup question, but as a newbie to this TX, I do not know.
Rcpete
Old 04-28-2016, 03:37 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by rcpete347
HI, I don"t what radio your using, but in Basic Properties, their is no option to change the name, also to answer the first question, when I turn on the radio, a minute later, the radio says to " Check position of the RC Switch" it is off, why do I get this message and your answer was not much help, since you did not say Where to go in the menu.. You might know where to go to Disable startup question, but as a newbie to this TX, I do not know.
Rcpete

I'm using the Jeti DS16 with the latest firmware but every version I've used since 2014 has always allowed you to easily rename a model. I'll try to be more clear;
1) Select the model you want to rename
2) Go to Model menu
3) Select Basic Properties menu.
4) The very first line is the model name, click the scroll on it to get into the Edit function.
5) Change the name to anything you want and then press Ok.
Done. The model is renamed.

As for why you get the message to Check Position of the RC switch, this happens when you power up the transmitter with the control switch in the "ON" position. You then get a menu asking f you want to turn the model on. If you reply No, then you get the message you mention reminding you to turn the model on. If you don't turn it on in the first place, you shouldn't get that menu. I added instructions to require a pre flight condition for switches at the end that may help you avoid this issue,.

If you read my original post again you will see that I said "go to System, Configuration menu and set "Disable startup question" to Yes". In other words;
1) Select System menu
2) Select Configuration menu
3) Scroll down to "Disable startup question"
4) Click on Disable startup question and change it from No to Yes.

I did forget to say how to set Preflight conditions so I'll add that here.
1) Go to the Advanced Properties menu
2) Select Stick/Switches setup
3) Use the right arrow key (F3) to select the switch used to power your model on/off.
4) Scroll down to Required pre-fl pos and select it.
5) use the scroll wheel to change it from None to the desired position (Bottom/Off, Top/On, Center)

Repeat steps 3 -5 for each switch you want to have in a specific position (gear down, etc) before powering up the model to prevent the gear from collapsing, etc due to a switch not being set correctly. Once this is done, if the switches aren't correctly when powering up the transmitter, it will tell you you need to look at your switches and it won't transmit until you set them correctly,
Old 04-28-2016, 04:59 AM
Puttputt maru

Wayne, you are a patient mam!
Old 04-28-2016, 05:45 AM
Jeti USA

Hey Pete be nice,

Zb/Jeti USA
Old 05-02-2016, 02:58 PM
Ray Millington

Hi all,
As promised in posts 2648 and 2655 here is an update on what i thought would be a simple project however it has proven to be not that simple?
I have an idea to install a pair of Jeti button switches on the back of my DS16,i fly with my thumbs on top of the sticks,i tried the stick switches (without connecting them to the system) but i found them difficult to use,i had a graupner TX with rear mounted button switches these switches were positioned so that they could be operated very easily with the fingers that were holding the TX,
There are solder pads on the stick gimbals (provided for the Jeti stick switches) i wanted to use these solder pads to connect my Jeti button switches to the system ?( I want to keep all the switches that are at present connected to my system,)
The jeti Button switches are marked in the usual way N/C N/O and common,
My problem is ---I DO NOT KNOW WHICH OF THE 3 SOLDER PADS IS THE COMMON--
It would appear that Jeti do not know which pad is the common either?
I am at present on holiday in Florida so i thought as Esprit models was only 30 minutes from where i was i would try to arrange a visit,however as i could only go on this Friday they have informed me that on that day they are to busy are to see me so i spoke to someone on the phone with an eastern european accent who has informed me that under American Law he cannot advise me how to connect the JETI button switches to the gimbal solder pads,and also if i fit the switches to the rear of the case i will invalidate any JETI guarantee,WOW what a System
So what does this all mean?
I am now unsure on how to proceed ,if i fit the switches Jeti will not repair my DS16 if it goes wrong,
Before i contacted Esprit i had sent emails to JETI sro without receiving any replies
How can it be that such a simple project to fit a pair of JETI produced switches has turned into such a complicated Issue ????.
Disenchanted Ray
Old 05-02-2016, 05:18 PM
Jeti USA

It would appear that Jeti do not know which pad is the common either?
I am at present on holiday in Florida so i thought as Esprit models was only 30 minutes from where i was i would try to arrange a visit,however as i could only go on this Friday they have informed me that on that day they are to busy are to see me so i spoke to someone on the phone with an eastern european accent who has informed me that under American Law he cannot advise me how to connect the JETI button switches to the gimbal solder pads,and also if i fit the switches to the rear of the case i will invalidate any JETI guarantee,WOW what a System
So what does this all mean?
I am now unsure on how to proceed ,if i fit the switches Jeti will not repair my DS16 if it goes wrong,
Before i contacted Esprit i had sent emails to JETI sro without receiving any replies
How can it be that such a simple project to fit a pair of JETI produced switches has turned into such a complicated Issue ????.
Disenchanted Ray
OK, I am pretty much sure this is NOT how it went. But it reminds me phone call I have today with gentleman with heavy British/Scottish/Welsh accent????

1) We explain to you that this Friday we are busy because we have people arriving from overseas (Jeti, Emcotec, Opale...) and we need to pack for the Joe Nall that we are leaving early Monday for the whole week.

2) I told you that unfortunately we do not know, and best way would be to contact Jeti directly.

3) After you mentioned 10x that you are electronic engineer, I suggested to tap one of the ribbon cables and test it.

4) I only mentioned that this will require hardware modification and you really should consult Jeti first before attempting anything.

5) After you could not stop talking how we do not want to cooperate I told you that we Cannot/Will Not comment on any of the modifications because radio has not been FCC or CE tested and by the law we are prohibited to make any changes. And that's not bad manners just the way things are.

Zb/Jeti USA
Old 05-02-2016, 06:38 PM
Puttputt maru

If I read you right you want to modify an electronic device and if something goes wrong you want the company to repair what you did wrong?

With due respect, I am not sure we live on the same planet.

I shorten once the wire on a servo before I checked that the sevo was actually working and that voided the warranty.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:36 PM
Ray Millington

Hi,
Puttputt you have not read it right ,how on earth do you get to "i am modifying an electronic device" when i want to use solder pads on the system, that are provided exactly for the addition of extra switches?not sure what your shortening the servo wire analogy means, clearly we are not on the same planet as you imply.
Jeti USA ,You tell me to tap into the ribbon cable to tell what are the switch connections
Clearly my strong English accent has caused you to not understand my question
I did not ask you what were the switch connections,
i asked which was the common connection of the 3 solder pads on the gimbals
I don't need to tap into the ribbon cable to tell me what are the N/c N/o and the common connections, the Jeti button switch Has that stamped on it.
You ask me to contact Jeti directly i have done this and they don't reply,
When i requested i visit you on Friday you said you were to busy fair enough ,i would have hoped you might have suggested another day and time ,how long would it have taken out of your day to see me.
Ray.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:41 AM
wfield0455

Hi,
Puttputt you have not read it right ,how on earth do you get to "i am modifying an electronic device" when i want to use solder pads on the system, that are provided exactly for the addition of extra switches?not sure what your shortening the servo wire analogy means, clearly we are not on the same planet as you imply.
Jeti USA ,You tell me to tap into the ribbon cable to tell what are the switch connections
Clearly my strong English accent has caused you to not understand my question
I did not ask you what were the switch connections,
i asked which was the common connection of the 3 solder pads on the gimbals
I don't need to tap into the ribbon cable to tell me what are the N/c N/o and the common connections, the Jeti button switch Has that stamped on it.
You ask me to contact Jeti directly i have done this and they don't reply,
When i requested i visit you on Friday you said you were to busy fair enough ,i would have hoped you might have suggested another day and time ,how long would it have taken out of your day to see me.
Ray.
Ray,

I fully understand what you want to do and while it should be simple enough, if you damage your transmitter while soldering wires or drilling holes in the back of the case, etc, it really doesn't seem reasonable that Jeti should be expected to cover such repairs under warranty and I suspect that was all that was being said. If you accidentally damage something while trying to install switches, etc, those repairs won't be covered under warranty. Also due to FCC requirements, etc, if you send a modified transmitter in for repair, you should expect any modified parts (holes drilled in back-plate, etc) to be replaced with original, unmodified parts when it was returned. This is something I've always expected, if I open the transmitter and accidentally damage something, I would have to pay to have it repaired.

I'm also not certain I understand the issue with sorting out Common vs NC/NO etc. You said the wires on the stick switch identified Common,NC and NO and since I provided a link to a video showing which wire connected to which pad, it would seem you have all the information needed to connect your switch. Also there was some brief info in the manual that said how to connect the stick switch wires based on their wire length. Are they all the same length or are they slightly different in length. It seems to me that the information, while not clearly spelled out is there in one form or another.
Old 05-03-2016, 11:32 AM
Jeti USA

Maybe contacting your dealer would be in order.

Zb/Jeti USA
Old 05-03-2016, 02:58 PM
Bobneal1
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Storing CB-200 settings ?

I have to replace a CB-200 . Can I save the settings somewhere and reload them to a new CB-200 ?

Thanks,

Bob Neal
Old 05-03-2016, 03:17 PM
Ray Millington

Hi Wayne,
Thank you for the reply ,
I fully understand your comments re soldering the wires to the Jeti electronics,but isn't that exactly what you have to do if you use the Jeti stick switches?,
Jeti supply these switches for the end user to solder them to the Jeti electronics,so does it follow that if i solder them to the pads provided i have breached the warranty?
I have no desire or expectations that Jeti would do any repairs for nothing ,
I have always payed top dollar for all my turbine equipment this radio is no different
The jeti button switches i wanted to use have the switch sense stamped on the side of the switch so there is no identification required,
My simple request was " which is the common connection on the 3 solder pads on the gimbals"
Wayne i know you can see how having these switches under your fingers would be a great help,but because of the reactions i have encountered i have lost the will to complete the project,
Simply by describing someone as having "an eastern european accent " seems to have caused offence something i am sorry for and was not intended,
i am not concerned or offended to be described as having "a strong British/Scottish/Welsh accent" he forgot to mention the "Irish"
I still believe the DS 16 is the best radio i have ever owned ,
best regards Ray.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:12 PM
bluelevel
My Feedback: (39)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Anyone wanting to add switches to your Jeti RX, check out this website: http://rctechnik.de/stick-switch-Jeti/ . I use the ones with the combined 3-way on top plus the push button in my DC-16 as well, but think that they are too long if you are not pinching and are flying thumbs. This website also explains how to install them.

Thomas

Last edited by bluelevel; 05-03-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:38 AM
wfield0455

Hi Wayne,
Thank you for the reply ,
I fully understand your comments re soldering the wires to the Jeti electronics,but isn't that exactly what you have to do if you use the Jeti stick switches?,
Jeti supply these switches for the end user to solder them to the Jeti electronics,so does it follow that if i solder them to the pads provided i have breached the warranty?
I have no desire or expectations that Jeti would do any repairs for nothing ,
I have always payed top dollar for all my turbine equipment this radio is no different
The jeti button switches i wanted to use have the switch sense stamped on the side of the switch so there is no identification required,
My simple request was " which is the common connection on the 3 solder pads on the gimbals"
Wayne i know you can see how having these switches under your fingers would be a great help,but because of the reactions i have encountered i have lost the will to complete the project,
Simply by describing someone as having "an eastern european accent " seems to have caused offence something i am sorry for and was not intended,
i am not concerned or offended to be described as having "a strong British/Scottish/Welsh accent" he forgot to mention the "Irish"
I still believe the DS 16 is the best radio i have ever owned ,
best regards Ray.
Hi Ray,

I agree that if you install the switches correctly that the warranty should remain in tact and I'm sorry to hear that this experience has caused you to lose your motivation for this upgrade. I did notice that Geoff at rConix in Australia is coming out with a molded carbon fiber back plate and perhaps he will decide that having switches in the rear would be a nice option and will offer that in the future, along with proper instructions for connecting them to the DS16 of course.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:47 AM
Ceeray

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

As far I understand normal switches are not soldered, ribbon cable i just pinched into the cable holder.. mine at least went in that way.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:53 AM
Jeti USA

Stop By at the Joe Nall 2016 for Playtime with New Jeti DS-24

Everybody is welcome to stop by May 10-14, 2016 at our boot at the Joe Nall 2016 for little bit of playtime. We are going to have final working pre-production piece of revolutionary Jeti DS-24.

Zb/Jeti USA

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DS-24 1.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	248.0 KB
ID:	2160812   Click image for larger version

Name:	DS-24 2.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	2160813  
Old 05-04-2016, 06:55 AM
wfield0455

Originally Posted by Ceeray
As far I understand normal switches are not soldered, ribbon cable i just pinched into the cable holder.. mine at least went in that way.

The switches being discussed are stick switches that normally have wires that feed through the hollow control sticks and need to be soldered to pads on the stick assembly.
Old 05-04-2016, 03:51 PM
Ray Millington

Hi Wayne,
I will let you know if i change my mind (re switches)
I wished you worked for Jeti?
regards Ray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.