Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fuselage molded "exits"??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fuselage molded "exits"??

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 10:24 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuselage molded "exits"??

Guys

I'm struggling to find the right word but basically I'm sure I've seen some neat molded items that you can use to route wires/aerials out of a fuselage neatly in an aerodynamic manner. Think they've be used on full carbon gliders etc to expose aerials to better RF.

Does anyone know where I could find some??

cheers
Mark
Old 02-07-2014, 10:27 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I thought that Sullivan products makes one, but in looking for it, I found this:

http://www.espritmodel.com/antenna-2...xit-guide.aspx

and this:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXE973&P=ML

and this:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-keeper-DUB349

Bob

Last edited by rhklenke; 02-07-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:07 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob, thanks!!!!!

Has it been proven that a carbon fuselage reduces 2.4 RF quality when using solid systems such as FASST?? Or is it a myth that people worry about??

M
Old 02-07-2014, 11:15 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My manual for the radio says to try and expose them on carbon fiber fuselages.
Originally Posted by schroedm
Bob, thanks!!!!!

Has it been proven that a carbon fuselage reduces 2.4 RF quality when using solid systems such as FASST?? Or is it a myth that people worry about??

M
Old 02-07-2014, 12:14 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by schroedm
Bob, thanks!!!!!

M
You know, that is a good question. I have not tried something with an all-carbon fuselage like the glider guys use, but most radio manufacturers sell receivers with longer antennas that are intended to be led outside the fuselage for that application, so there must be something to it.

I had a problem with the FASST receiver in my Exteme Jets F-4 in that as originally installed, I got shorter range during a ground range check than I was used to. It was still more than the 30' that Futaba recommends, but I was used to getting over a 100', and this was significantly less than that, so I was not happy. The receiver was right under the canopy/cockpit, so I put a plastic tube inside the canopy right next to the corner of the instrument panel and the side of the cockpit tube where it was not very visible. After engine start, I take one of the antennas from the RX and put it up the tube when I put the cockpit/canopy on. This fixed the problem and I get lots of ground range during a range check like I am used to, and the link has been flawless in the air.

As I recall, there was some carbon in the fuselage layup that I saw before I painted the inside, but when I was building the plane I didn't think it was going to be a problem. On the other hand, there is a lot of electronics and wires around where the RX is, so maybe that caused it.

I I was going to do an all-carbon jet with FASST, I'd probably build it up with the antennas inside as normal, but then do a thorough range check to see if there is any effect and have a plan in mind for how to get the antennas outside (or up into the cockpit) to deal with it if it is an issue...

Bob