Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FEJ F-86 Sabre

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FEJ F-86 Sabre

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 12:45 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default FEJ F-86 Sabre

Hi Guys,
I have been a s critical of FEJ as many others on this forum, and with due cause. But I have finally got my F-86 flying, and it fies well. I should point out that this is no airex in this models construction. They offered to make it with this system but having inspected their "attempts" at moulding with this technique at jetpower two years ago, I declined.
There have been quite few problems to resolve on the model, including tanks that did not fit, undercarriage plates that where at best "tack" glued in, and a laughable elevator torque rod system, designed to ensure flutter. I am using MKS HBL6625 servos in the tailplane halves.
After the first flight last year I discovered the undercarriage plate problems by doing a near perfect landing, and breaking them all out. One former, at the front of the nosewheel plate was simply missing!
I still have to replace the ball links on the UC doorrs as the plastic is like eggshell and seem to spontaneously break. The canopy cylider is not man enough for the job, so this will be replaced.
The flaps will only come down around 45 degrees because they are centre hinged. Having said this, the model landed quite slowly with flaps and slats open.
Handling was perfect, and power with a Wren 160 was spot on.
I have to sort out the timing of the nose leg as it is too slow and not closing. On a more serios note it can see that loading the gear flexs the wing TE at the root rather alarmingly. I plan to add a further incidence pin from carbon rod at this point as well as beef the whole thing up.
So far, so good then. Yes I know it is early days, but I have my fingers crossed that it will last longer than many FEJ models I have heard of.
John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4364s.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	415.7 KB
ID:	1992612   Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	179
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	1992613   Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	412
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	1992614  
Old 05-05-2014, 05:56 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

She looks great, John. I hope the Sabre last for you. What are the flight characteristics like? I am working on completing a 1/5 Skymaster Sabre.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:58 AM
bikecrasher

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I had a failure of my fej hawk... just over 6hrs fly time. Total loss.. fej told me to go away after I asked what are they going to do about it. They said thats a lot of flying time... massive fire ball on impact. Lucky not to hit moving cars.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:25 PM
JohnMac

Hi Dubd,
Yes she looked great in the sky. The handling was perfect. I only needed to add some up trim with full flap, otherwise it flew off the board. I added a ACT fuzzy logic gyro to the ailerons because other Sabres have exhibited a Dutch roll. This one didn't do that at all. On the other hand we had little wind yesterday, which is unusual, so it may come in handy on blustery days.
Speed looked about right too. If it doesn't fall apart it will be a keeper. There are two others in my club, which is why I bought one. They have been flying a few years without serious issues.
The Skymaster model is the real deal. Bigger and heavier but so much more scale and better built. You will love it.
Bikecrasher,
Sorry to hear that mate. I know very well that there is no after sales service from FEJ anymore. It's a shame because they have turned the informed market away from them permanently. Had I not bought my model before this whole thing with FEJ kicked off, I would have bought from elsewhere.
John
Old 05-05-2014, 06:54 PM
jetster81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for your problems John, I know it's all been said before but it's such a shame that FEJ cannot seem to address their quality and customer attitude issues especially as you are so happy with it's flying qualities.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:56 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John, thanks! I may put a gyro in my Sabre. What the weight on yours and what engine are you using? I have a Jet Cat 160SX for mine.

Last edited by dubd; 05-05-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:34 PM
JohnMac

The weight was just under 19Kgs, but after beefing up a few areas it will be a bit over 19Kgs now. I have drop tanks to add but I will have to be careful to stay under 20Kgs or else I will have to go through the cerrtification program. The engine is a Wren 160. The engine has been completely unrenmarkable, but in a good way. It starts first time every time, powerful, tractable. Like the model it is early days yet.
There is another problem with the model that is going to be more difficult to fix, in that there are cracks all over the clear coat. The paint jobs looks pretty good, not perfect, but OK. but the clearcoat has been put on long after the colour coat without any keying, so it is sheeting off in places. Moreover it has bee put on very thick, and unusually for a 2 k product, it seems very brittle.
I have come to the conclusion that to rectify this will require completely stripping the paint and repainting it. However, that is for the future. No point if the wings are going to fall off in a few hours of flight.
John
Old 05-06-2014, 11:35 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

86's are great fliers.

I think about getting another one all the time.

The way even FEJ gets to make an 86 fly poorly, is by making the wings an "inflight" detachable item.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:01 PM
JohnMac

Originally Posted by ravill
86's are great fliers.

I think about getting another one all the time.

The way even FEJ gets to make an 86 fly poorly, is by making the wings an "inflight" detachable item.
Yeah, That's what worries me. But, I have inspected this wing inside and out as best as I possibly can. I have had an endoscope in every corner. Bye and large it looked well put together, landing gear plates aside that is. I will check it regularly inside to make sure.
John