Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba and Turbine's

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba and Turbine's

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 01:34 PM
blainer48
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used Futaba and Futaba only with my turbines and I have not had a single issue with anything at all. Make sure that you do as the guys suggest and reverse the throttle channel. On the Jet Cats you should notice that the lights on the board should chase starting with green and going to red. If it is doing that backwards, then you need to reverse the throttle because the ECU is seeing it backwards. Make sure you go through the manual and "learn" the radio to the ECU properly and completely. I have talked to the guys at both Jet Central and Jet Cat and they know what I fly and I have never had them say "oh the Futaba thing". It's got to be something you are missing in either the set up or somewhere.

Jason
Old 05-31-2014, 01:51 PM
ViperOneNL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed,

I pull throttle, fly JetCat and wren never an issue.

mick
Old 05-31-2014, 03:07 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Go go the "function" menu and reassign the switch.

Originally Posted by willig10
Guys:
I know Midas is having an issue and I hate to ask here, but anyway if someone knows the answer to my question please e-mail me direct at [email protected] so Midas can get his question answered. I have a 14SG and Here is my question.

1. How do I reassign the spring loaded switch from trainer to an active switch? I want to use the spring loaded switch for an onboard starter. Thanks in advance
Old 05-31-2014, 05:12 PM
Airplanes400
My Feedback: (349)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Midas D.
What i said, in the end after reversing it all works, but why the f… do i constantly have issues then and does it never works in 1 go??
Does this has something to do with that i pull instead of push the throttle?

Give it a go i would say, reverse your stick on your TX so you pull instead of push and then see what happens, enjoy i would say and please keep me posted

It sets my brain on fire i can tell you…
When all else fails, read the instructions.

Spend some time reading the instructions for the radio.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:19 PM
muzzgail

I was setting up a futaba on a turbine and had to increase the steps that the digital trim took to get from trim low to trim high. It took too long on that Futaba radio and the ecu would not go into start mode as my trimming up was taking a bit too long for that particular ecu.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:28 AM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I fly throttle backwards and have had to swap the pot wires on a non-futaba tx or two when they got clever with the throttle trim only working at "idle".

With the 14MZ I reverse the stick (J2 in my case) in the hardware setting menu so when the stick is pulled back the TX "thinks" the stick is in the traditional idle position (pushed forwards) and then reverse the channel if I have to. You need to reverse the operation of the trim as well but that's done in software as well. Practically it's really no different from flying throttle backwards and not reversing the channel but if your tx has some smarts it'll be thinking you're at full throttle instead of idle and that can make your TX do funny things especially if it has certain alarm/arming functions.

If your TX can reverse both the stick and the channel in the menus, I'd reverse the stick as a matter of course in any model memories.
Old 06-01-2014, 02:48 AM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2walla
That tells me you must have grown up on a farm driving tractors...
My dad used the throttle backwards as well.

Yes, it's the farmer thing. Lol.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:06 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DrV
Used Futaba for years with jetcat turbines without problems. You have to reverse the throttle channel within the Tx. Sounds like you use the throttle backwards so no need to reverse in your case.
As stated above, leave the throttle channel (Normal), but change the trim ATL to (Rev), then do a radio learn procedure.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:43 AM
flyinfool1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by George
As stated above, leave the throttle channel (Normal), but change the trim ATL to (Rev), then do a radio learn procedure.
Ya that.

Your issue is not with the Futaba, or with the turbine, it is with your wish to use a non standard configureation by pulling back the stick to add throttle. No matter what brand of equipment you use for either the turbine or the TX, you will need to take extra steps to change the default settings to get things to work the way you want them to. Fortunately, your Futaba lets you make those changes in software so you do not have to open the radio and move wires around. As you work through setting this up, write down all of the steps you take in the manual so that you have it for ready reference the next time you set up a new plane. You will have to go through this every time you do a setup regardless of brands of equipment involved.

PS when you have a non standard setup, always make sure others know about it so that should someone have to handle your TX for any reason, there are no surprises.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:43 PM
Midas D.

Originally Posted by George
That does the trick, on all of them

Indeed i started this tread wrong i guess, it again is me who f…. the whole lot up, but that thing with trim change to ATL works!!
And indeed flyinfool, i wrote it all down this time!!

Saying all this, it is an Futaba thing, cause most of the time you need to revers throttle otherwise the ECU get's confused if you don't reverse.

Thanks guys,

Made my life a lot easier

Now back to my "tractor" LOL

Last edited by Midas D.; 06-02-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:53 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Midas

We all ( the Futaba users ) have encountered those same problems, I think you are doing just fine, keep at it and have fun programing you jet.