Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Mini Lathe for Jet Stuff

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Mini Lathe for Jet Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 09:18 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Mini Lathe for Jet Stuff

Are there some guys out there with Lathes, Mills etc, building different parts for our hobby? If so, I'd appreciate any input on how to start out.

After alot of research, I purchased a Harbor Freight 7x12 lathe. After using their 20% off coupon, the lathe was under $500!

And after even more research, I have found out that there are a BUNCH of tools that I have to buy just to be able to use the lathe!

Here's my list so far:

Cutting tools (5/16 bit)

Quick change tool post with four tool attachments (this is supposed to be heaven sent to help get the tools at the correct height)

Center punches (metric and standard)

Carriage lock

Dial indicator and test indicator with magnetic holder

8" Grinder

Varied diameter 6061 aluminum stock

Still needed:

6 x 4 Band Saw

3" or 4" 4 head chuck

Mini Mill and all the new tools I'll need for that! (This will come after I play with my new Lathe for a few weeks/months)

As I have been reading/researching accuracy and completeness is next to godliness in the lathing/milling business.

I'd appreciate any input on parts/tools that you have found invaluable for a starting machining hobby-ist!

I found the website littlemachineshop.com (this is THE best vendor website I've ever seen) and mini-lathe.org/uk. If there are any other websites you recommend, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2014, 09:52 AM
fireblade5437

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy indexable tools ie where you can replace the cutting tool or chip breaker as they are called, the finish with this type is far superior than using solid carbide tools...
The brand I use are Glanze not cheap but the finish top notch

Alan
Old 08-21-2014, 09:59 AM
ravill

Hmm, the next time I buy new cutting tools, I'll give those a go, thanks!

Oh, I forgot to mention, I also bought a drillchuck with an arbor.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:06 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

You have already found the two best websites i was going to recommend.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:17 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I wouldn't buy anything from HF that is supposed to be precision. I would have gone with a Taig or Sherline. I actually have a Sherline 4000 lathe and a 5000 mini-mill with some tooling. It's not as large as your lathe but, out of the box, it needed no tweaking like many have had to do with HF products. For R/C work, the mill and lathe are about the right size. I am looking at upgrading to a 4400 lathe bed to give me more capacity. What I really like about the Sherline products is that I can use much of the same tooling on the mill as I do on the lathe.
http://www.sherline.com/lathes.htm
Old 08-21-2014, 10:20 AM
Chris Nicastro
My Feedback: (3)

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Take a machining class at your local JC if you have not done so already. Learn on their machines and be safe. You will learn how to machine different metals properly and make your own hand tools to start with. I did it many years ago and it was a good experience. I went on to operate a CNC mill and learn G-code, etc., at Fadal in SoCal.

Indexable cutting tools are great, expensive, but learning how to use and make your own cutting tools is powerful knowledge too.

Also look into an indexing table/head for mill work so you can turn the part. Great for making wheels for example.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:35 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Raf,

littemachineshop is nice. They are a distributor for Sieg.

http://www.siegind.com/distributor.html

As you have found out, the tooling can end up costing more than the machine! at least you can buy it a bit at a time.

I am shopping for a slightly larger one, but the cost goes way up (maybe $2000?). I would look at a 9x20. To me a big plus is the size of the through hole in the spindle. I like to be able to put a 3/4 inch piece of stock down the hole. 1 inch would be even better.

I also like the brushless motors, you don't have to mess with the plastic gears to change speeds. I like reversible power feeds in both axis. And a digital read out on each axis.

http://www.dropros.com/

For yours you need a dial indicator with a magnetic base. Calipers, maybe micrometer(s), And you need a grinder to shape your HSS cutting tools. And I would get a small cuttoff saw, although I guess a bandsaw will do in a pinch. A set of reamers is nice ($$)
Old 08-21-2014, 11:14 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did that for a long time. I started with the "Import" stuff back when it was still cheap (I got the 7x14 for under $200) And converted the old HF Drill Mill to CNC. Eventually... I upgraded. Then... I left my day job as an R&D Chemist and made my own line of parts. I did that for 8 years, and I was making parts for Billy D (USA RC Jets) and Todd (DreamWorks). It was a lot of fun, but I just recently sold everything, and have scaled back.

Next summer... I'm going to buy a Hass SL10 with milling for the garage.

Anyway... the guys above have you heading the right way. But I will say this......

1) Don't buy cheap tools. They don't cut worth a dam, and leave a poor finish. Spend a few extra $$$ and get insertable tools with industry standard size inserts. That way, you can buy the quality and style you like. (I had a lot of toolmex holders)

2) On aluminum, you want high rake, and high polish on all tools.

3) For end mills (milling) I LOVED the gorilla brand tools. (Silverback was the line for aluminum) They aren't too expensive for the smaller tools, but will last a very long time.

4) If you need something quick... McMaster Carr.

5) Basic stuff can be bought from Enco. PLUS... if you do a search... you can generally find a free shipping coupon.

Up until 4 months ago... this was my "Hobby Shop". (lol)

Old 08-21-2014, 11:24 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

There is no such thing as too many tools...I mean tools of all types. I am lucky to have a Myford 7 in the workshop, almost never a day when I don't use it! I'd say I use a running centre, four jaw chuck gets used a surprising amount. Centre drills are a must, more than one drill chuck, I have a keyless small one for sub 3mm drills.

Oh yeh-the list of people who call you a friend gets longer when you have a lathe!!

Last edited by Dave Wilshere; 08-21-2014 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:25 AM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Raf, that's awesome. I always wanted to learn to use a metal lathe. You should be able to make all sorts of neat stuff.
In the Bay Area there are several Techshops where you can take classes and use equipment. I heard nothing but good stuff about them.
Old 08-21-2014, 11:32 AM
ravill

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
I wouldn't buy anything from HF that is supposed to be precision. I would have gone with a Taig or Sherline. I actually have a Sherline 4000 lathe and a 5000 mini-mill with some tooling. It's not as large as your lathe but, out of the box, it needed no tweaking like many have had to do with HF products. For R/C work, the mill and lathe are about the right size. I am looking at upgrading to a 4400 lathe bed to give me more capacity. What I really like about the Sherline products is that I can use much of the same tooling on the mill as I do on the lathe.
http://www.sherline.com/lathes.htm
Yeah, I hear you, but seeing the Lathe at HF is what opened my eyes to being able to own a Lathe of my own!!

To buy a new lathe now, I'd buy the micro-mark 7x16. Oh well. If my HF acts up, this is the one I'll replace it with.

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
Take a machining class at your local JC if you have not done so already. Learn on their machines and be safe. You will learn how to machine different metals properly and make your own hand tools to start with. I did it many years ago and it was a good experience. I went on to operate a CNC mill and learn G-code, etc., at Fadal in SoCal.

Indexable cutting tools are great, expensive, but learning how to use and make your own cutting tools is powerful knowledge too.

Also look into an indexing table/head for mill work so you can turn the part. Great for making wheels for example.
I've wanted to do this for a long time! I really need to look into it.

Originally Posted by mr_matt
Hi Raf,

littemachineshop is nice. They are a distributor for Sieg.

http://www.siegind.com/distributor.html

As you have found out, the tooling can end up costing more than the machine! at least you can buy it a bit at a time.

I am shopping for a slightly larger one, but the cost goes way up (maybe $2000?). I would look at a 9x20. To me a big plus is the size of the through hole in the spindle. I like to be able to put a 3/4 inch piece of stock down the hole. 1 inch would be even better.

I also like the brushless motors, you don't have to mess with the plastic gears to change speeds. I like reversible power feeds in both axis. And a digital read out on each axis.

http://www.dropros.com/

For yours you need a dial indicator with a magnetic base. Calipers, maybe micrometer(s), And you need a grinder to shape your HSS cutting tools. And I would get a small cuttoff saw, although I guess a bandsaw will do in a pinch. A set of reamers is nice ($$)
I knew you'd be a great resource Matt! I bought all the things you suggested. But I'm curious why the band saw would "do in a pinch"? I thought a band saw was the go to tool to cut stock into workable pieces?

Keep it coming, I love all the input!

Oh yeah, there is one more website rich with information about the mini lathe: Mini-lathe.com
Old 08-21-2014, 12:19 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Raf- You are going to spend more on tooling than on the lathe-Get ready for it. Micro Mark also has many mini lathe parts. There are a couple of websites dedicated to making the china mini lathes quite accurate. Bing them. All the brands of mini lathes come out of different doors at the same factory in China. I have the MicroMark 7x14 and it has been very good so far. S
Old 08-21-2014, 12:39 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by GSR
Raf- You are going to spend more on tooling than on the lathe-Get ready for it. Micro Mark also has many mini lathe parts. There are a couple of websites dedicated to making the china mini lathes quite accurate. Bing them. All the brands of mini lathes come out of different doors at the same factory in China. I have the MicroMark 7x14 and it has been very good so far. S
NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sherline machining equipment is made in California, the lathe was originally designed and assembled in Australia
Taig machining equipment is made in Arizona

HF, Micromark, Grizzly and several others are either made in China or Taiwan, the Taiwanese being normally slightly better in quality

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 08-21-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:40 PM
ravill

Scotty!!

Wow, I was surrounded!

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 08-21-2014, 12:50 PM
mr_matt

Originally Posted by GSR
All the brands of mini lathes come out of different doors at the same factory in China. I have the MicroMark 7x14 and it has been very good so far. S

Yes most are Sieg. In the past the big claim to fame with Micomark was the imperial (inch) feed screws and dials (.050 inch per turn), With a DRO I find this less of an issue, but some of those messed up dials are a pain (one turn = 0.0394″ or some ???)
Old 08-21-2014, 12:56 PM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

I have a lathe similar to yours. While it's not great, it gets the job done. I do wish I had something a little more precice.

For mills, I have a taig converted to CNC and love it. I make all kinds of parts from service trays, landing gear parts, formers, ribs etc
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	2024539   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	2024540  

Last edited by Gary Arthur; 08-21-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:18 PM
mr_matt

Originally Posted by ravill

To buy a new lathe now, I'd buy the micro-mark 7x16. Oh well. If my HF acts up, this is the one I'll replace it with.
This is the one you want son,

http://www.dropros.com/DRO_PROS_Sieg_SC8_Lathe.htm

Originally Posted by ravill
But I'm curious why the band saw would "do in a pinch"? I thought a band saw was the go to tool to cut stock into workable pieces?
Well a vertical bandsaw is great but for round stock I find a cutoff saw is just more convenient (especially cutting long stock). it has a vise so when you cut a round bar it wont spin around like it does on a bandsaw. The big advantage in a real shop is you can set a stop to do repeat cuts (if you need a bunch of 3 inch long pieces it is nice). And on big stock you just start it and walk away, it makes the cut by itself. There are some that are convertible (see below), could be sketchy.

http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-...saw-93762.html

As someone said, grainger is handy and these guy have the bible (in virtual form now)

https://www.mscdirect.com/FlyerView?...alogs/big-book

Last edited by mr_matt; 08-21-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:21 PM
Hydro Junkie

I'm considering buying another mill, looking at a full CNC Sherline 5400 or 2000, just have to get the coin to order it.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:43 PM
ravill

Matt, LOL at "son"!

That lathe looks friggin huge! Prolly too big for what I want.

Dr. Honda, now that's a hobby room!
Old 08-21-2014, 01:55 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jezz -Dude dont yell- read it again I am referring to the China lathes Grizzley Harbor freight, Micro Mark. S
Old 08-21-2014, 03:43 PM
mitchilito
My Feedback: (7)

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

When I "took the plunge" I bought all Grizzly stuff and I have NEVER regretted it. I've had my machines for almost 10 years now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	flash on bench lt.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	520.4 KB
ID:	2024581   Click image for larger version

Name:	flash on bench rt.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	546.6 KB
ID:	2024582  
Old 08-21-2014, 05:06 PM
ma_mulcahy

I will just add a note to be careful with Grizzly. I bought a combo disc/belt sander from them and the disc was far from perpendicular to the motor shaft. It had like 3/16 difference side-to-side. Fortunately, I caught it early, but with some more complex machinery, it may take months or years to uncover manufacturing defects.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:00 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My favorite site for information on lathes and mills: www.hobby-machinist.com
Old 08-21-2014, 06:00 PM
DemonDean
My Feedback: (4)

Really good information all of it. I took the same route with the same lathe. I will caution you on spending too much on a small lathe. You will find out all to soon that the lathe is pretty small and jobs are limited. There are some pretty good youtube videos out there for instruction. I highly recommend mrpete222 (Tubalcain) Keith Fenner and OXtools (Tom Lipton) Wealth of knowledge there. Above all else have fun and be safe.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:55 PM
BlazerB52
My Feedback: (7)

Check out http://www.littlemachineshop.com They have spare parts for your machine.
I have a lathe similar to the H.F. there are a few that are the same. Just different paint jobs made at the same factory. Mine came from Cummins tools painted blue. Will try to find my other links for stuff and post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.