Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Robart Electric Retracts

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Robart Electric Retracts

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 09:07 AM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Robart Electric Retracts

I have a couple of models that I am about to fit with Robart retracts and am trying to decide whether to go for their air or electric versions.

I've searched the internet to see how people are getting on with the Robart electric retracts but there seems to be very little information around. Has anyone used the Robart electric retracts?

I'd be grateful for any opinions from those that have used them.

Thanks,
Old 10-30-2014, 10:33 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Down and locked does robarts electric retracts very good prodcut. They also do BVMs electric retracts they sale.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:57 AM
siclick33

I asked Down N Locked how much it would be for them to supply a set of Robart retracts converted to electric and they quoted me $550 whereas Robart's version of the same model electric gear is $290. I thought I'd read that Down N Locked were involved with Robart's gear but that's quite a price difference if they are using the same components.

I'm wondering if there is any difference between the 2 versions (or more accurately if the Robart version is as good) and if the 'standard' Robarts are reliable.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:16 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Down and Locked does supply everything "electrical" for Robart gear. But it's a lot of work to take apart gear, re supply with expensive components, and re build. D&L will re buikd gear for you but if it's a commercially available unit It's cheaper and easier to buy new gear - just buy the Robart parts and D&L electric parts supplied as a single finished unit from Robart or your local/mail order distributor.

Once in a while D&L will have a re built set on a shelf for sale... but last few times I called they didn't. D&L recommended I buy from Robart when they have a sale. The last set of big scale electric retracts I bought, I bought from Robart. If you can wait until Christmas time they usually have some good sales. If you are buying retracts and struts you can save some good cash buying directly from Robart during their holiday sales. If not, you can usually get a better deal through Tower if they have something you need in stock.
Old 10-30-2014, 01:52 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have them in my Top Flite FW190. And the are great just run them on 2s for more power.

It seems like the way to go now days
Old 10-30-2014, 02:53 PM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have two sets. One in my 125% Turbinator with just over fifty trouble free landings. The second set is going into my TF FW-190 when I assemble it and don't expect anything else.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:40 PM
sc0tt
My Feedback: (61)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the Pro-Link series from Dreamworks are heavy duty versions of Robart's with interchangeable parts.
Taurus = 630 series and Hercules = 635 series
So why not just buy conversions or even the whole retracts from Dreamworks?
http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/Electric-Retracts

Last edited by sc0tt; 10-30-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:41 PM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by Ron Stahl
I have two sets. One in my 125% Turbinator with just over fifty trouble free landings. The second set is going into my TF FW-190 when I assemble it and don't expect anything else.
I went robart electric on my fw190 because of the really long landing gear struts

If you go electric with the retract body the fw190 uses you can add a second plastic cam block to spread the load on the pins
Old 10-30-2014, 08:40 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

For long heavy gear i would stay away from the robarts or down and locked as they can struggle lifting the load.. The behotec electric units are much stronger.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:59 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

I have 2 sets of Robarts in my warbirds and selling a new set that I bought for a tp Zero that I am not going to build. I have had no issues with the Robarts. I have over 2 years in my hanger 9 p-51 set. I have replaced the airframe after I put in the top of the trees and it didn't hurt the gear. The gear work great. I also have the Down and Lock conversion on my Skygate Hawk. I did have one motor go bad but Mitch stepped up and took good care of me.

The Robarts are mostly made by D&L.

I have a set of the Boetech in a Lighting and they seem to work just as well.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:33 AM
DAVAL
My Feedback: (6)

Hi
I installed them in My Eurofighter Robart 635 this summer. The refitting only took a few hours.
Love them
Dave
Old 10-31-2014, 06:27 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Correct, the Dreamworks Pro-Drive electric conversions are a direct fit into the robart 500 and 600 series retracts. Pro-Drive actuators are stronger, completely reliable and offer more features than the D&L systems. We have well over a thousand actuators in use now, yet to hear ONE complaint regarding reliability or functionality.....
Old 10-31-2014, 09:41 AM
fly24-7

Down and Locked started out as the Robart supplier for the electrics, I've since learned (from a reliable source) that they are no longer a supplier. Not sure of the exact point a switch was made.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:43 AM
josecilurzo

PRO-LINK = the best landing gear available!!!
we have 10 sets, thousands nice and bad landings without damage on retracts or air frames.

Todd the best option on the market, absolutely all parts and spare parts available to shipment.

our next step electronic actuator

Jose
Old 10-31-2014, 11:45 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lov2flyrc
Correct, the Dreamworks Pro-Drive electric conversions are a direct fit into the robart 500 and 600 series retracts. Pro-Drive actuators are stronger, completely reliable and offer more features than the D&L systems. We have well over a thousand actuators in use now, yet to hear ONE complaint regarding reliability or functionality.....

Todd what actuators would fit in the Robart 530 low profile series?

And are your retracts big/bigger biggest? Like what would be a good set for a 35 pound plane? Thnaks
Old 10-31-2014, 02:22 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

They have new 100 degree rotating gear coming out but in another thread a guy is really bashing them and I cant understand how you bash the quality when there not out yet , am I missing something ?
Old 10-31-2014, 05:15 PM
tevans55

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

siclick33-

You may also want to take a look at the new Signature Series retracts from Century Jet.

http://youtu.be/idRQsAstJYA
Old 10-31-2014, 09:43 PM
Shaun Evans

Umm...

Be careful with buying CJM gear. I only ever had not-so-good luck with them.
Old 11-01-2014, 01:56 AM
LDM

I have used CJ air gear and never had an issue, I use Robart air support on CJ gear but like many want the eletric option and glad to see the new offerings
Old 11-01-2014, 07:29 AM
Shaun Evans

Originally Posted by LDM
I have used CJ air gear and never had an issue, I use Robart air support on CJ gear but like many want the eletric option and glad to see the new offerings

Hi,

I don't mean to suggest that nobody has had luck with them. I only refer to my own experience. I used to manage what was at that time the largest LHS in southern California. We ordered lots of kits and gear for customers (including myself). We stopped at one point because they invariably came back. The gear would all leak or otherwise fall apart. Lots of slop, lots of brittle parts that looked molded. The shocks wouldn't compress if you put the slightest side load on them. As for the airplane kits, I personally returned a P-51 and F-104 that I ordered for myself. I was so disgusted with what came in the box I just shipped them back.

I did see a few sets of custom large-scale gear that seemed to function ok, but the off-the-shelf stuff was inop as the rule, not the exception. Unfortunately, I think the overall sentiment on the net is pretty much the same with most peoples' experiences with them, too. I wish it weren't so because I'd love to have an American gear producer with a wide variety to buy from.
Old 11-01-2014, 08:09 AM
siclick33

Thanks for all the info. It seems that a fair few people are having success with the Robart electric retracts.

I've decided to split the difference. The jet will get air retracts (mainly as Robart don't have electric brakes) and the TF spit will get the electric ones.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:18 PM
PHILLCO
My Feedback: (6)

Cool Robart / D&L electric retracts

I would like to chime in here.
I have the Robart electric retracts in my T/F FW190 have had them for for well over a year and no problems.
I also have them on my T/F corsair for about a year and again no problems. Also have a set in a Holman 86" Hellcat.
I was told by Mitch at D&L that I could run them off my receiver because they do not use much power to make them work, I was apprehensive thinking will you know.. But after flying around 3 to 4 flights they only used around 80mh from the LIFE 2100 battery. Well I was impressed.
Mitch knows his stuff.
I have a Yellow P47 and am considering converting them to electric. No compressor no leaks etc
This is just my two cents worth
Phillco
Old 11-16-2014, 07:55 PM
LDM

Hey Phillco , good info my only concern is that there is a thread on the other ( RC website ) in fuel warbirds on the new Rotating gear with pics, they show how the gear was shipped and how weak the attachment is from the eletric actualtor to the frame assembly , no urban legend , a real shame on the QC control center .
I want the robart gear for a larger corsair project but staying on the sidelines until I see there responce to that thread and the obvious problems that exist with his gear .
Old 11-18-2014, 06:20 AM
Shaun Evans

HI,

After using small electric retracts and loving them on the E-flite F-4, I thought about using them on bigger planes but saw a bunch of guys having issues with them in the 1/5 scale warbirds (Robart). Since I have simply never had any problems at all with my pneumatic gear (other than leaving my pump at home once), I don't see how the extra expense if worth it.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:51 AM
mikes68charger

Originally Posted by YellowAircraft
HI,

After using small electric retracts and loving them on the E-flite F-4, I thought about using them on bigger planes but saw a bunch of guys having issues with them in the 1/5 scale warbirds (Robart). Since I have simply never had any problems at all with my pneumatic gear (other than leaving my pump at home once), I don't see how the extra expense if worth it.
While I agree with you things are a changing. Its not actually big price difference when you add $65 for the large robart air kit (tank lines valve fill etc) yes you may have this stuff laying around but.

All mine have robart air but I did go with electric for my TFG FW190 as they are very long and I plan on adding a exstra set of blocks to make them stonger that can only be done with the electric vs

As war birds are not jets it can make it easier to just go fly with less support equipment.

But in my big jets im not happy with the cost of electric breaks and replaceing gear doors rams with servos. But im sure in a few more years it will make more since.

Now if I could find a reasonable price electric drop in replacement for all my gear doors cylinder

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.