Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster Avanti XXL Build Thread

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster Avanti XXL Build Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 10:13 PM
duffyy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How did you guys manage to get into the fuzz to align the thrust tube with the exhaust and measure the correct distance. There is no space to get in there... very difficult

What have you done with the retracts mounting screws... replaced them with normal capheads and T-Nuts?
Old 06-05-2015, 03:45 AM
FenderBean

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts

I made a round template that would sit in the end of the turbine while giving me the proper gap. Then measured where the pipe sat at the tail and just glued in a front mount that supports those measements. I am using the stock screw.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:16 PM
FenderBean

Barry its just over 16 inches from center of pipe to the ground. This would change a little if nose wheel is stroked.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:09 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like plenty of clearance for a 20x20x6 turboprop!
Old 06-06-2015, 08:14 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's get Anton to do a TP version!
Old 06-07-2015, 08:00 AM
FenderBean

Would be different that's for sure
Old 06-12-2015, 01:26 PM
FenderBean

I finally got around to finishing up the Avanti, everything is back together and after updating my Igyro software the glitch seems to be gone and everything is working good with the Futaba/Robber battery back Sbus setup!
I added a small mount for the gyro, I added the fake carbon decal to help give the two-sided tape something to stick to.
I am going to recheck the balance still since I added carbon to the tail, hopefully the added gyro and gps sensor will offset this.
I will say the jet is officially done Stop by the global jet club tent at KY jets and say hi! I will be flying a 64 up on Tuesday for a bit then coming back the next day for the event. Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2253.JPG
Views:	832
Size:	2.39 MB
ID:	2102224   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2254.JPG
Views:	816
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	2102225   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2256.JPG
Views:	850
Size:	2.25 MB
ID:	2102226  
Old 06-18-2015, 02:58 AM
duffyy

Fender how is the bird doing?

Did you convert to electric retracts and has anyone else converted and if so which ones and what is the feedback on the use of electric retracts?
Old 06-18-2015, 04:21 AM
ZivBit

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by duffyy
Fender how is the bird doing?

Did you convert to electric retracts and has anyone else converted and if so which ones and what is the feedback on the use of electric retracts?
Hi,

I did a conversion for electric in mine, just finishing it right now.
I used Electron ER-50 reveresed version, Intairco wheels and e-brakes. Needed lots of changes in the fuselage and wings, lot of work.
But it will be worth it... works perfect now.

Will post some pics later on.

Ziv
Old 06-18-2015, 04:36 AM
duffyy

Hi ZivBit

Great thanks a lot looking forward to seeing the pics

I would prefer electric to air so much easier in the long run

Brian

Originally Posted by ZivBit
Hi,

I did a conversion for electric in mine, just finishing it right now.
I used Electron ER-50 reveresed version, Intairco wheels and e-brakes. Needed lots of changes in the fuselage and wings, lot of work.
But it will be worth it... works perfect now.

Will post some pics later on.

Ziv
Old 07-02-2015, 08:28 PM
FenderBean

I will give a good flight update after next weeks event, im hoping I took care of the rudder issue but only flying will tell. I will test the thrust vectoring as well once I make sure the Igyro is setup right.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:42 PM
FenderBean

I have a question for current owners flying this jet, has anyone experienced elevator flutter? I have heard of the rudder flutter and SM has put out the fix to everyone but anyone ran into this on the elevators. Thanks
Old 07-12-2015, 09:42 PM
In the Haze

Nope, no elevator or rudder flutter issues at all and mine has plenty flights under its belt now, Fly it the way it was designed, ie. nice smooth aeros and you will have no problems..

Fly it, you'll love it.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:13 AM
FenderBean

May I ask what control horns you used on yours and what the lengths are? I have flown mine 6 times now, nothing crazy or fast and have gotten flutter twice. I almost lost mine at KY jets when the elevator fluttered. Im trying to see if my horns are to small or something.

Last edited by FenderBean; 07-13-2015 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:29 AM
In the Haze

The standard ones that came with the kit. Will have to measure later, but I did nothing special other than find the hard points and epoxy them in. Using 8911's throughout with H9 alu servo arms and ball links both sides.

I did find the hinge rod was a bit loose in all the hinges leaving too much play in the surfaces, I bushed all the hinges so there is zero slop in everything now.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:37 AM
FenderBean

hmmm yeah im using stock and I did the same as you, I filled in the holes and redrilled mine so the rod did not have any play. The only play after that was gear mesh, if you dont mind just seeing what your control horn length is that would be great. It was so violent it bent the rod to the servo and destroyed another 165.00 servo, I have to get a new stab since mine flapped so bad it tore the skin in two places. I even had beefed mine up to remove any slop in the mounting area itself. Thanks

Last edited by FenderBean; 07-13-2015 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:57 AM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Keith

Did you have the iGyro turned on at the time? If so at what settings?
I have seen some very violent pitching oscillations that resulted in stripped servos when the gains have been set too high.
The Avanti elevator and rudder is extremely effective...so just thinking.....
Here is a pic of my set up. I use the shortest servo arm I can in my applications.

Name:	avanti link.jpg
Views:	810
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	2108874  
Old 07-13-2015, 10:21 AM
FenderBean

No the igyro setup was going to be my next it was off. My elevator setup is pretty close to yours. The report from sm is possible flimsy rod, they said they have had them bend and mine was bent into the shape of a smiley face. I thought maybe it happened from the flutter but no telling. No idea but I'm going to put some larger control horns on it just to be safe.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:30 AM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow....so many issues. While I appreciate all the time and effort you have put into this thread I can't help but wonder what other guys are experiencing.
Its very quiet........

d.w.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:08 PM
FenderBean

Yeah, who knows and if you see my builds its really easy to see I do more than the average builder. I was hoping for a really hassle free jet to make up for all the scale jet wo's
Hopefully when its all said and down I get something I can ring out and not worry... I just want to fly!

Originally Posted by Helijet
Wow....so many issues. While I appreciate all the time and effort you have put into this thread I can't help but wonder what other guys are experiencing.
Its very quiet........

d.w.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:31 PM
PowerBoxDanny
My Feedback: (47)

As we discussed Keith, I discussed the issue over the weekend with Anton and there is a new stab in production already and will be shipped to you right away when done. Speedy service since the problem occurred this past weekend. From what I gathered viewing the stab at Kentucky Jets, it seems there was high speed flutter on the right elevator that bent the linkage and in turn damaged the stab in flight without separation. From conversations with Anton, this is the only case we have experienced with this specific problem. Anton has been generous and expeditious about the matter as usual! Even though in test flights Skymaster did not encounter this issue, to make sure this control rod does not bend, Skymaster factory will be producing stronger linkages and recommend that current owners replace the existing linkages with turnbuckle style titanium rods or strengthen the stock rod by sliding a carbon tube over and securing with hysol! The size of the control horns have not been an issue but as a builder, you can install larger control horns if you feel that makes you more comfortable but what is sent with the ARF has been flight tested with no adverse problems.

I am in constant contact with Keith to work on the problem and get him what he needs and get him back in the air with a reliable aircraft! I will advise you when the Stab is on its way!

Thanks Keith!
Old 07-13-2015, 06:14 PM
FenderBean

Thanks Danny, It was nice to meet you and all the help is top notch. You beat me to the punch I was going to post about what we talked about today. So I will be replacing my control horns and using some H9 rods like you described, thats what I put on the rudder about MS jets. The rudder seemed fine after the geometry change on the servo arm but I will still replace the horns.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:41 PM
In the Haze

This is my setup.

Name:	Elev control horn 2.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	2109088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elev control horn 3.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	2109089  
Old 07-14-2015, 05:34 AM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Sorry being lazy here, but are the wings and tail composite/glassed or just covered wood (monokote, or whatever kote)?
If so has anyone glassed them?

I may replace my viperjet with one of these since I like thrust vectoring.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:43 AM
PowerBoxDanny
My Feedback: (47)

Originally Posted by In the Haze
This is my setup.

That setup looks awesome! Strong work!

Sorry Keith! Didn't mean to jump the gun! I am happy that we have a clear solution in the works for the minions Avanti XXL.

Essyou35, the Avanti XXL is the large Avanti and is all composite. There is no wood skin at all. The only Avanti out there that has any wood is the old Sebart small Avanti. The Krill Avanti is also all composite.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.