Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

x-31

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 12:03 PM
turbinebuilder
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default x-31

Does anyone know anything about this plane? Is it a manufactured kit or is it just someones scratch built?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTLZREaRbh0
Old 11-07-2014, 12:46 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

looks scratch built
Old 11-07-2014, 01:06 PM
Ali

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Its built by a guy called Christian Gobel from Germany. I am not sure if he kitted any, but I do know that his good friend Martin Muller has one and flies the life out of it. Christian contacted not so long ago to tell me that he was selling his X-31 ready to fly.
Regards Al
Old 11-07-2014, 01:09 PM
turbinebuilder

Originally Posted by invertmast
looks scratch built
There seems to more than just one,there's videos of others flying,different color schemes and other parts of the world.I want one!!
Old 11-07-2014, 01:12 PM
Ali

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Christian has had two, I saw his first one which I think was red white and blue some years ago. He then not so long ago turned up with the elaborately coloured one as a matching pair with Martin
Old 11-07-2014, 01:19 PM
turbinebuilder

Originally Posted by Ali
Christian has had two, I saw his first one which I think was red white and blue some years ago. He then not so long ago turned up with the elaborately coloured one as a matching pair with Martin
I figured that there was only limited numbers,I might have to build one myself,but that's a lot of work,sometimes it's easier to buy.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:32 PM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes your wallet is your best tool.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:06 PM
turbinebuilder

Ok guy's,so i have decided to build my own x-31 and here is where i stand on the plug,its about 85% complete.The plane is going to be full 3D with thrust vectoring.What i am looking for is some opinions from the "experts" on an airfoil that i should use.Symmetrical? typical reflex? or some blended type.Let me know what you think.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2220.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	798.2 KB
ID:	2097667  
Old 05-22-2015, 08:06 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sweet! nice project!

And absolutely you will want reflex in this one.. that leds to a nice washout or even curved down wingtips that will help trim the beast and also hold the wings steady at high alpha.

The original didnt had reflex at all as it didnt needed pitch up trim as the plane was basically unstable and kept level by the computer... In the model this would not work as well because the cg will need to go forward to get the airplane trimmed in the conventional way.
Problem is that the canards doesnt have enough surface area for doing this work properly..

Also due to this cg taking the main landing gear a bit forward would help to make smoother takeoffs and wheelie landings...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	x-31-EC95-43105-10.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	2097721  
Old 05-24-2015, 07:52 PM
turbinebuilder

Thanks for your input,reflex seems to be the most common and what I was more than likely going to use.I was really hoping that more people would have chimed in and gave an opinion based on their experience also.

Originally Posted by erbroens
Sweet! nice project!

And absolutely you will want reflex in this one.. that leds to a nice washout or even curved down wingtips that will help trim the beast and also hold the wings steady at high alpha.

The original didnt had reflex at all as it didnt needed pitch up trim as the plane was basically unstable and kept level by the computer... In the model this would not work as well because the cg will need to go forward to get the airplane trimmed in the conventional way.
Problem is that the canards doesnt have enough surface area for doing this work properly..

Also due to this cg taking the main landing gear a bit forward would help to make smoother takeoffs and wheelie landings...

Old 05-25-2015, 01:28 AM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Anytime...some years ago I researched this plane and others while trying to improve my models, learned a lot and also had a lot of fun. You will have also with this plane too. Is a great choice for a jet.