Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New big Ripmax Xcalibur (Xcalibur+)

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New big Ripmax Xcalibur (Xcalibur+)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 05:16 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by blainer48
JP-1, how much did the Revoc set cost you? They sent me a price of 330.00 USD which seems a lot considering the price on their website is €140.00 which from what I understand is around $159-$160. Just curious.

Jason
Did you set the options on their site? First change the pricing in Usd then select the option you want and the price show is the one they will charge, normally the first price is the cheapest bag so no Fabric ect....

I have a few sets of their fabric bag, not cheap but neither are the models.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:40 AM
blainer48
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I did balanced last night and needed approximately 18oz of lead up front. Mind you I'm using a Kingtech 160G2 and everything else is as far forward as possible. Balanced with a full uat as well. What did anyone else come up with for weight in the nose or am I in the ball park. I noticed the review in rc jet international he added 2lbs to the nose.

Jason
Old 08-18-2018, 04:22 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blainer48
So I did balanced last night and needed approximately 18oz of lead up front. Mind you I'm using a Kingtech 160G2 and everything else is as far forward as possible. Balanced with a full uat as well. What did anyone else come up with for weight in the nose or am I in the ball park. I noticed the review in rc jet international he added 2lbs to the nose.

Jason
I am running a KT 140 and added 1.5 oz of weight
Old 08-18-2018, 04:31 AM
blainer48
My Feedback: (30)

Where did you balance it George? I used the cg in the manual at 195mm from the leading edge where the wing and the boom come together. I was hoping it wouldn't take much but that's what I had to add.

Jason
Old 09-07-2018, 01:53 PM
Pondus
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have finally got my Xcalibur+ flying. Mine is an EDF conversion, I am running a Schuebeler 120mm DS-86-AXI HDS fan unit with a SSS 5694 600kV motor and 19S 8000mAh batteries. This is roughly 9kW of power on takeoff, giving me pretty good performance considering the size and weight of the airplane. RTF weight is just about 15kg, even with almost 4kg of Lipo batteries stuffed forward of the CG I still have 200 gram of lead and 2 x 2700mAh Rx batteries in the nose to achieve the recommended CG. Balance and control surface throws according to the manual and it feels good, so I'm not going to have to make too much adjustements. It really is a very nice flying airplane.

Here's a video of my flight #2:

Last edited by Pondus; 09-07-2018 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-07-2018, 02:01 PM
JP-1

Received 422 Likes on 355 Posts

That is a pretty good performance from an EDF, what sort of duration are you getting 5 to 6 minutes?

Sounds like a turbine too.
Old 09-07-2018, 02:21 PM
Pondus
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On the flight in the video I used 6000mAh including the taxi back so 5-6 minutes sounds about right, this flight was a bit short of 5 minutes and I can stretch it close to 7000mAh before I am out of juice and have to be down. The sound of this fan/intake duct does sound like a turbine, and I like that. Not much electric motor whine to be heard which is cool.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:16 AM
Mick Hargreaves

First flight with new JetCat P-130rx today. Perfect power for this model and very light so no nose weight required. Considering ambient was a chilly 1 degc engine started straight up and ran faultless. Tank filled only to 4 litres and got a comfortable 8 minutes with plenty spare. No trim required at all and just floated in at a very low gound speed, even with 6 mph crosswind. Great model, looking forward to the warmer weather!
Old 01-30-2019, 10:34 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Mick

Glad the P-130RX behaved in the winter conditions. Colin Straus has just done a test on it for RCJi with great results.
Would be the perfect power plant for the X Plus! Fill the tank and enjoy, my longest flight was around 20 minutes with the P-140RX, slow turn around over our patch, didn’t use full power at any point in flight.

Dave
Old 01-30-2019, 11:58 AM
Mick Hargreaves

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
Mick

Glad the P-130RX behaved in the winter conditions. Colin Straus has just done a test on it for RCJi with great results.
Would be the perfect power plant for the X Plus! Fill the tank and enjoy, my longest flight was around 20 minutes with the P-140RX, slow turn around over our patch, didn’t use full power at any point in flight.

Dave
Thanks Dave

A great afternoon and total non-event test flight. Does seem a good combination from first impressions and if it's as reliable as my P-100 they have a winner. 8 minutes was all my cold fingers would take but looking forward to the next outing. Club members were commenting how quiet it is compared to the P100 but I was too busy flying to notice. The low idle thrust amazed the non-jet flyers as it landed, slowed and turned around within half of our 100 m grass strip! Engine installation is easy as the smaller diameter can allows direct access to the mounting bolts without restriction from the canopy flanges, just had to add some extra width to the bearers with Hysol.

Mick
Old 02-06-2019, 10:13 AM
Tom ling

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Mick.

Good to see your + flew well on the 130, quick question is the 130 still a “small” can turbine? Just been reading through this thread and Dave thought the smaller can wouldn’t work as well. Would you buy the 130 specifically again for the + or did you already have it. I take it from your comments it was up to the job :-)
Old 02-06-2019, 11:29 AM
Mick Hargreaves

Originally Posted by Tom ling
Hi Mick.

Good to see your + flew well on the 130, quick question is the 130 still a “small” can turbine? Just been reading through this thread and Dave thought the smaller can wouldn’t work as well. Would you buy the 130 specifically again for the + or did you already have it. I take it from your comments it was up to the job :-)
Hi Tom

It is around the same diameter as a P100RX but longer, does not fill the engine bay the way a 160 would. I have been out again today and had a further 3 flights, engine will lift the model and 4 Lt of fuel vertical after a short run which is good enough for me. I have been flying the standard size for 18 months now and this one is much smoother and obviously easier to see. The model I picked up as a new kit, the engine was supplied by Dave (can't beat his service and experience with these things)! Would recommend this combination if you want an easy to fly jet with great performance at this price point. I noted the air system was at 5.4 bar last week, 7 days later it was at 5.2 bar, nothing wrong with stock gear!

Mick
Old 02-06-2019, 12:05 PM
Tom ling

Hi mate thanks for the reply. That sounds good. I had 3 flights with my Wren 100 powered standard size Xcalibur today. Great models 👍 I am definitely tempted to change my standard to a plus. Just because of the reviews like yourself that they flight nicer than the standard one. I would try a plus with my Wren 100 but not sure it would be nice to fly an Xcalibur plus underpowered compared to my nicely powered standard.

Pleased the power of the 130 takes it vertically as that’s the best bit with mine :-) I might well put mine up for sale and take the plunge. Do you still have your standard size? Would you say it’s worth changing the standard for the plus?

Last edited by Tom ling; 02-06-2019 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Adding comment.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:35 PM
Mick Hargreaves

I still have the standard for now, although I will see how much I fly it over the coming months now there is a new one in the hangar! If you like the standard one I don't think you will be disappointed with the plus, just a bigger lump of machine to cart around and burns a little more fuel! I have always liked the twin boomers, DerJet Vampire is on my wish list.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:21 PM
Tom ling

Ow I’d love the Der jet Vamipire but sadly out of my price range :-( pleased your getting on well with the plus and thanks for the feedback. 👍
Old 02-07-2019, 03:22 PM
Mick Hargreaves

Tom, you are most welcome. Picture of P-130RX install, good luck if you go ahead!
Old 02-08-2019, 03:45 AM
Tom ling

Your not helping :-)
looks very nice, bet that is quite a light build with that turbine and less/no weight in the front.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:32 AM
Mick Hargreaves

Sorry Tom, another teaser for you....plenty of space in this one! It's light but still needs some weight at the nose. Balance is within 5mm of the manual with around 1.5 oz up front and that is with 2 x 4250 rx lipos and 1 x 3100 Life for engine. The thread details an issue with the wing alignment anti-rotation tubes, mine was the same on the left wing but easily fixed with a new section of carbon tube the correct diameter. I also had an aileron hinge drilled way off centre, everything else went together fine.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:27 AM
PrionPilot

I have a 180 in mine, love it.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:55 PM
Tom ling

Bet that goes like stink with a 180 in. The vertical must be fun!! I presume it needed a bit of nose weight in with a 180? What’s the flight times like?
Old 02-23-2019, 11:09 PM
richbran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to see finally more pilots are "discovering" the +.It is a fine flyer. Many jet pilots are past their 50ties so a little help in visibility won't hurt, buy bigger models with clear paint schemes
I fly he WREN 160 just because I had it, lots of power but also more weight and higher idle thrust. The tank volume is overkill, even for a bigger engine, except for pilots whose throttle control is a two position switch, ON for flight an OFF for landings.
The gear initially was very good, but the low quality aluminium quickly wears out, the hinge points are forming play in just too little landings.
At the moment I have an issue with the Wren, it flamed out on my last two flights, both during acceleration after prolonged idle.Luckily both at altitude so no panic, and our 2800m long RWY sure helps to fly relaxed. But I am not looking for risk, so I have set it aside for the time being.
And looking at the WREN site for help does not make one happy
Add that to the recent stoppage of IQ Hammer, (my other jet engine besides the Wren and a JetCat) seriously has reduced my trust in smaller engine builders...

Old 02-24-2019, 01:00 AM
PrionPilot

Originally Posted by Tom ling
Bet that goes like stink with a 180 in. The vertical must be fun!! I presume it needed a bit of nose weight in with a 180? What’s the flight times like?
Yes, it’s great fun. I don’t use full throttle very often as you can imagine.
i fly for around 9 minutes and land with about 30% left in the tank.
i bought it second hand with the engine in it. There was no nose weight, but it didn’t fly well so I added a small amount.
i fly from a fairly short grass strip with steep approaches and mainly cross winds. The Xcalibur is perfect .
Old 02-10-2020, 12:04 PM
cassiemitch

Can anyone help me ?
I have just finished my Xcalibur plus and there was no wing bolts in wings .
I can’t see if they are supposed to be self tapper style or threaded .
If threaded what tread type and length .
I don’t want to force the wrong type of bolt in there as it looks like it could be plastic construction?
I am ready to do my maiden.
Thanks for any help .
Old 02-10-2020, 12:15 PM
Mick Hargreaves

Originally Posted by cassiemitch
Can anyone help me ?
I have just finished my Xcalibur plus and there was no wing bolts in wings .
I can’t see if they are supposed to be self tapper style or threaded .
If threaded what tread type and length .
I don’t want to force the wrong type of bolt in there as it looks like it could be plastic construction?
I am ready to do my maiden.
Thanks for any help .
Just standard M5 x 40 cap head bolts.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:25 PM
cassiemitch

Thanks for that help .
😁

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.