Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FB 1/7th F15 scale build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FB 1/7th F15 scale build

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 11:23 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 83 Likes on 72 Posts

Thumbs up!
Old 12-23-2015, 12:02 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Man nice job looks better than before
Old 12-23-2015, 12:17 PM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

What a fantastic, just FANTASTIC thread!

Gun, your love for the hobby is truly admirable.

I am sure your next maiden will be great.

It seems that fuel problems have become more and more common especially as we like our bigger and bigger models/turbines.

I had my share with my ultra bandit and have really liked the things that I've learned recently.

GBR jets has a pleated paper clunk that I like to use. GBR also used to make a fuel fitting that was big enough so the clunk can fit through the fitting. It's huge.

Also Tom Cooks's fittings (JMP) are also a must, IMHO, in the big block installations.

BVM "big" clunk on Left, GBR clunk on right:

Here you can see Tom Cook's large fittings aren't big enough for the pleated clunk or the felt clunk that Behotec suggests for the B300F.

Here is my front tank of my UB with all the new fittings.

Old 12-23-2015, 12:22 PM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

And as was mentioned earlier, there can be junk in the lines from junk in the tanks!

I believe this little piece of "junk" was causing the bulk of my flame outs. The pleated clunk, however, would've stopped this from happening. Atleast, I have the pleated clunk now. Highly suggested for all big block installs.

Old 12-23-2015, 06:51 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks everyone.

Great info rav!
My PW numbers are very low now with the high flow system . everything should work fine. Did a 12 min run up on it today.
Old 12-26-2015, 05:44 PM
gunradd

Made it out and put some flights on the F15. It flew great! Was really feeling good with it. So had great success!

Kevin was right about those laser welded gear parts. On second flight had a stiff crosswind but still greased the landing but both gear parts broke on the weld. I have extra ones but not going to fly with ordinance until those parts get replaced with one piece parts and not welded.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0782.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	2137850  
Old 12-26-2015, 08:15 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the remaiden! Your gear issue validates the concern I've had with this plane. Not sure why FB doesn't address it.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:43 PM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

After much back and forth they finally admitted to the change and sent me machined from single piece new strut sockets. Installed now and ready to fly
Old 12-26-2015, 09:45 PM
dubd

Kevin, let us know how it goes. I'll get a FB F-15 if the part should up.
Old 12-27-2015, 01:29 AM
mick15

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can I refer you to post #30 of this thread?

m
Old 12-27-2015, 08:10 AM
dubd

Originally Posted by mick15

m
Thanks, Mick.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:32 AM
kevinthoele

Originally Posted by mick15

m
When I went back and forth also brought this up and the new parts have larger better fitting cam gear heads that reduce the slop a lot. I first built the wood bracket thingee for lack of a better name but new parts help a lot. Will let you know about the strength of these one piece socket parts
Old 12-27-2015, 10:23 AM
FenderBean

Gun, if its the pin im thinking of me and Jose made one from a steel bolt from a hardware store when he had that first flame out at MS jets. Super easy fix and no weld to break.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:01 PM
kevinthoele

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Gun, if its the pin im thinking of me and Jose made one from a steel bolt from a hardware store when he had that first flame out at MS jets. Super easy fix and no weld to break.
Fender its the socket that the strut plugs into and it has a shaft that sticks out the top but located off center in order to allow the gear to rotate as it retracts. It was originally made of one piece but changed to two piece laser welded. They sent me the original newly manufactured one piece socket that is now installed waiting on time to fly. I will let every one know after flights if it is up to the job
Old 12-27-2015, 05:36 PM
gunradd

Kevin I broke 2 more today. They are total junk. I asked them to send me the one piece ones and they sent me the same welded ones... I will try again. The aircraft is not airworthy with the welded ones. After today's flight I have some repairs to do on the belly doors and paint work... Glad I don't have markings yet. Its such a shame the plane flies so good. It does much better also with the main fuel tank cut smaller.

Here is a pic Kevin sent me of a good one piece one and the crap broken 2 piece one.

Name:	IMG_0294_2.jpg
Views:	719
Size:	509.8 KB
ID:	2138089   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0788.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	2138091  

Last edited by gunradd; 12-27-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:16 AM
kevinthoele

Originally Posted by gunradd
Kevin I broke 2 more today. They are total junk. I asked them to send me the one piece ones and they sent me the same welded ones... I will try again. The aircraft is not airworthy with the welded ones. After today's flight I have some repairs to do on the belly doors and paint work... Glad I don't have markings yet. Its such a shame the plane flies so good. It does much better also with the main fuel tank cut smaller.

Here is a pic Kevin sent me of a good one piece one and the crap broken 2 piece one.
Yes the welded pieces are so bad that I broke one during takeoff roll. Also had one break during gear extension and lost strut and wheel and brakes that was painful and expensive to replace. Like you say it is a shame because the plane flys awesome. I hope I am finally there with the new parts
Old 12-28-2015, 07:54 AM
gunradd

Originally Posted by kevinthoele
Yes the welded pieces are so bad that I broke one during takeoff roll. Also had one break during gear extension and lost strut and wheel and brakes that was painful and expensive to replace. Like you say it is a shame because the plane flys awesome. I hope I am finally there with the new parts
Kevin who did you go through to get the new parts? I am going through Catherine and she does not know what to do. She thought she sent me the good ones but ended up sending out the same crap ones that broke right away. She has been great to deal with very happy but she does not know what to do about this problem.
Old 12-28-2015, 05:07 PM
gunradd

Here is some good video of my second flight. It was VERY windy. Plane flies like a dream. You can see my good landing considering the wind and the gear just rips right out....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eThVVeR5X4s&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by gunradd; 12-31-2015 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 06:43 AM
gunradd

Starting to do mods to the main gear. First I doubled up the ply mounts and installed bolts with blind nuts. Don't like wood screws holding gear in. Next I'm going to copy the parts that mick15 made on his F15.

FB is giving me a hard time making the old parts that where plenty strong. They insist on making these new parts and pretend the older part does not exist like I am stupid. But they are redesigning it to make it stronger then the last really weak parts they sent me. So its a battle we will see......

Name:	IMAG0802.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	753.7 KB
ID:	2138759  
Attached Images  

Last edited by gunradd; 12-31-2015 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:39 AM
FenderBean

It really blows the Asian ARF builders don't listen more. A few minor simple improvements could really push some models from good to great. Lucky for them their the only ones making them.
Old 12-31-2015, 11:29 AM
dubd

It really blows the Asian ARF builders don't listen more. A few minor simple improvements could really push some models from good to great. Lucky for them their the only ones making them.
It's unfair to lump all Asian manufacturers in the same category. According to your signature you are a "Global Jet Club Tram Pilot"... So why not use your influence and expertise to get Fei Bao to modify their landing gear?
Old 12-31-2015, 12:48 PM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by dubd
It's unfair to lump all Asian manufacturers in the same category. According to your signature you are a "Global Jet Club Tram Pilot"... So why not use your influence and expertise to get Fei Bao to modify their landing gear?
Its not unfair, its the truth and they don't listen to me either I have tried. Over the past few years I have had the chance to build or see all the major brands and they all have the same issues. On multiple occasions I have mentioned stuff about things and everyone says they listen, but its still the same result leaking air cylinders, bad paint jobs and many other issues. People with waaay more influence than me have mentioned these things over the years as well. Not going to start in with you again but its my opinion and do a few searches on this forum and the other popular forums you will find more than enough post supporting this very thing. Sorry Gun not meaning to bother your thread, I want post off topic again.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:09 PM
P51Joe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marcio did you test fly yours with the tweens and how did it do?
Old 12-31-2015, 07:53 PM
gunradd

Originally Posted by P51Joe
Marcio did you test fly yours with the tweens and how did it do?
Joe I talked to him last weekend . his did great accept he broke the same gear parts I did on a perfect landing....
Old 01-01-2016, 10:22 AM
dubd

Its not unfair, its the truth and they don't listen to me either I have tried. Over the past few years I have had the chance to build or see all the major brands and they all have the same issues. On multiple occasions I have mentioned stuff about things and everyone says they listen, but its still the same result leaking air cylinders, bad paint jobs and many other issues. People with waaay more influence than me have mentioned these things over the years as well. Not going to start in with you again but its my opinion and do a few searches on this forum and the other popular forums you will find more than enough post supporting this very thing. Sorry Gun not meaning to bother your thread, I want post off topic again.
There is a big difference between what is going on with the landing gear on the Fei Bao F-15 and all of your FEJ planes and paint mistakes and leaky cylinders from Skymaster. Even for the more respectable Asian manufacturers, I've come to expect that there will be some teething problems and rework for first production run planes, which is why I typically wait a year or more after a plane is released before buying it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.