Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Elite Aerosport Rebel Pro Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Elite Aerosport Rebel Pro Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 01:49 PM
Mike Pascoe
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Scott, I worked with Rex during the maiden and after setting the atv to 150 on the jet tronic brake valve it had plenty of stopping power! If I can just get Rex to believe me it will land at a crawl and not like a heavy F-18 on a hot summer day, he will soon be a believer. ������
Old 02-08-2016, 02:30 PM
rbxbear44
My Feedback: (86)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Pascoe
Hi Scott, I worked with Rex during the maiden and after setting the atv to 150 on the jet tronic brake valve it had plenty of stopping power! If I can just get Rex to believe me it will land at a crawl and not like a heavy F-18 on a hot summer day, he will soon be a believer. 😜👍😎
LOL! Well, there ya go...

Scott, it was not the brakes at issue. I think the electronic valve simply needed to be turned up some. Yes, first 3 flights...but I promise, I'll get the hang of the approach to landing speed. Us heavy metal maniacs need a few more flights to get into the "cruiser" mode...like Mike. He IS my hero! When I am his age, I want to be just like him...

Plus, after 9 minutes of flight time (still had over 1/3 of a tank left after landing, using a P-200), I had to finish the book I was reading while flying...so I was a bit distracted!

Great airframe, great brakes!
Old 02-08-2016, 04:42 PM
Mike Pascoe
My Feedback: (13)

Hahahaha yup she's a tanker! Even with a p-200
Old 02-09-2016, 06:08 AM
flytmates
My Feedback: (4)

[QUOTE=rbxbear44;12173483]Hey Robert, WOW...yes, you win on stuffing the turkey!!! I got the maiden done plus a few more flights today and this thing sings with a P-200. Flew 9 minutes and landed with over a 1/3 of a tank left! Knife edges, point rolls...and this thing could compete in IMAC too!!!

Very, very happy with this bird! I don't miss my Lightning or KingCat anymore! Dialed in the Cortex Gyro, thanks to help from Mike Pascoe. Believe it or not, this is a first for me on using a Gyro. Well, I had heading hold on a SM F-18 several years ago but this is new to me...love it!

Will dial in the smoke system tomorrow, if the weather stays nice.

[/QU

Looks great Rex! Congrats on the maiden!
Old 02-09-2016, 08:14 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Well good news the turbine issue is resolved, so the next chance I get this thing is in the air!
Old 02-19-2016, 06:22 PM
rbxbear44

Put several more flights on the RP today...incredible! Today was beautiful, not a cloud in the sky...some wind but nothing for this bird to handle...man, what a solid machine.

Timer is set for 9 min. Landing with 1/3 tank left. P-200 is proving to be a really good engine for this.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:12 PM
FenderBean

Thanks Rex, now that's the turbine is squared away I'm just waiting for the next chance to fly it.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:10 PM
FenderBean

I managed to get the maiden done today, no surprises to speak of. I got one flight due to some brake issues but I flew about 6 mins and still had over half a tank. Very stable jet, it handles wind well, the big rudder gives a bit of crab with the crosswind but so do all large jets/planes due to the surface area. I will be taking some of the expo out on the ailerons(i added what the manual stated), it felt very solid no bad tendencies that I could see with the short flight and I landed with half flaps since my full flap mixing was backwards. I mixed in 8 degrees up with full flaps, you deff need 8 down like the manual stated. Not sure how I missed that but i did, not to worry the jet is capable of landing without flaps, but it does like to float without them. The only issue I have is a brake issue, some how the brakes leak air but at random times. I can fill them up and action the brakes and only the psi only drops the amount being used but at random times it will leak all the air out without touching the slider. I am going to examine the brakes. A rebel pro owner said when he locks the brakes and spins the wills he can hear air coming out. Im hoping they have a some type of O ring in there that just needs some O ring lube. I will follow up when I figure out whats going on.
I really like the jet, it makes me smile when I fly again, low stress and should be fun when I can ring it out.....Oh and I will also be adding a slight amount of crow, a couple have done this and say it really helps it settle on landing. Still easy to land just be careful on the brakes, adding to much and you can do some nice sliding spins This think lands like my Avanti XXL but is a better flyer in the mid to high stick than the avanti, and the P200 in my opinion is perfect for the jet, I flew around 1/2 to 3/4s and it was a very comfortable speed that will allow for any type of roll or loop. I didnt check the top end speed yet since it was the first flight, I keep it simple just in case! Despite its size that may intimidate some, I feel that a first time jet flyer could hand this jet no problem. Super Happy with this jet, kinda refreshing for a change, I will get video next time I fly it for sure!
Old 02-27-2016, 01:22 PM
FenderBean

If anyone was wondering the nose door and main doors worked great, the spotter said they looked good.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	185
Size:	4.42 MB
ID:	2149659  
Old 02-27-2016, 01:40 PM
PILOTMD11
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have flown mine 15 awesome first flights starting with the perfect maiden on Monday!
If using the Jet-Tronics Low Loss Brake Valve, my Airtech-Germany 100mm High Speed Wheels/Brakes needed 1mm larger diameter brake o-ring to allow the brakes to be perfect.
I order o-rings from the O-Ring Store website: 3mm thick 36mm inner diameter Buna 70, clean brake slot and hub and lightly lube o-ring with BVM Thin Lube. I slide my o-rings off with the corner of a sanded thin and smooth credit card.
Program brake valve correctly and my brakes act like very slight auto braking at the right DX18 slider on the mid detent! But usually no brakes are required, after touchdown I go High Rate and full down elevator to slow nicely.

What an incredible flying machine; that Rebel Pro!

Views:	239
Size:	4.41 MB
ID:	2149660  

Last edited by PILOTMD11; 02-27-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:00 PM
FenderBean

Thanks Im using a UP-6 valve, I really like the valve and use it on all my jets minus my current build. I will try lubing the O ring first to see if this will fix the issue, if it leaks after that I will order the larger O ring since it sounds like your on to something. Thanks for the info!
Originally Posted by PILOTMD11
I have flown mine 15 awesome first flights starting with the perfect maiden on Monday!
If using the Jet-Tronics Low Loss Brake Valve, my Airtech-Germany 100mm High Speed Wheels/Brakes needed 1mm larger diameter brake o-ring to allow the brakes to be perfect.
I order o-rings from the O-Ring Store website: 3mm thick 36mm inner diameter Buna 70, clean brake slot and hub and lightly lube o-ring with BVM Thin Lube. I slide my o-rings off with the corner of a sanded thin and smooth credit card.
Program brake valve correctly and my brakes act like very slight auto braking at the right DX18 slider on the mid detent! But usually no brakes are required, after touchdown I go High Rate and full down elevator to slow nicely.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:12 PM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PILOTMD11

Who did you get you wheels from in the usa ?
Old 02-27-2016, 04:19 PM
FenderBean

The wheels that come the gear are from airtech Germany and mine look like the high speed wheels you can get from vendors.
Old 02-27-2016, 04:23 PM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

the airtech guy is sending me round in circles with emails, wanted the usa dealer but he hasn't responded
Old 02-27-2016, 05:41 PM
rbxbear44

Yes, it would be good to have a source for replacement tires...will be flying this bird a TON!

Keith, I am using the Jetronics Low loss brake valve on my Rebel. I normally use a UP-6...prefer them over the electronic ones.

Congrats on the maiden. I had the Demon Cortex switch on after two laps. I flew in some decent wind last week and it was really solid. I noticed only a tiny bit of coupling on knife edges at higher throttle setting, but midrange...NADA! I have one more maiden to do in the next few weeks...SM 1/5 F-16 is RTF. Just got the gyro installed in it today. So, as soon as I build the cradle for trailer travel...I'll get it to GA Jets for the first few flights.

Oh and PILOTMD11, thanks for the O-Ring heads up...just ordered a half dozen on line.

Last edited by rbxbear44; 02-27-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:18 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have spare tires in stock.
I will have extra wheels in a week or so.
the brakes do need to be lubed. they do not work properly dry. grease is better than that sticky stuff
always use flaps for landing. it needs the required flaps to slow down properly. its a glider.

Scott
Old 02-28-2016, 11:22 AM
FenderBean

Thanks Scott, Do you have a recommended grease? I was thinking about giving tri-flow lube a try since its doesnt attract dust. I have used it on my helis for years, its going to be a fun jet should get some good flying in at MS Jets.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:55 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I use this:
http://www.dreamworksrc.com/catalog/...-And-Axle-Lube
Old 02-28-2016, 03:08 PM
FenderBean

cool I have some grease like that, thanks
Old 02-29-2016, 10:22 AM
rbxbear44

Originally Posted by jetpilot
Yea, I used the O Ring Lube and man, it took quite a bit of time before the brakes started working really good. Note self, "do not use that stuff on these brakes again!".

On another note, I flew several flights yesterday in some pretty high winds. As far as approaches, rock solid...point and shoot. To get this bird to want to stop flying was a bit of chore (LOL), especially with some gusts right about 3-4 ft. above touchdown when airspeed was bleeding off pretty fast, but relative wind was high. I mean, you have to be able to fly in wind, which I am not at all concerned about. But this bird is so easy on lift, wondering if a bit of crow would help?
Old 02-29-2016, 10:24 AM
FenderBean

Originally Posted by rbxbear44
Yea, I used the O Ring Lube and man, it took quite a bit of time before the brakes started working really good. Note self, "do not use that stuff on these brakes again!".

On another note, I flew several flights yesterday in some pretty high winds. As far as approaches, rock solid...point and shoot. To get this bird to want to stop flying was a bit of chore (LOL), especially with some gusts right about 3-4 ft. above touchdown when airspeed was bleeding off pretty fast, but relative wind was high. I mean, you have to be able to fly in wind, which I am not at all concerned about. But this bird is so easy on lift, wondering if a bit of crow would help?
I mentioned this above, im going to add crow since some of the guys recommend it.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:30 PM
FenderBean

Okay wrapping this build up with the flight reports. First an update on the breaks, you need to either replace the O rings with a larger or clean and lube the stock. A fellow rebel owner gave me 2 O rings he got for his and after installations breaks work great, the key is to lube them. Im sure the stock would be just fine if you lube them, mine were dry as a bone when I removed them and will keeping them for spares. I got three 8+ minutes flight today and I think this is a great large sport jet, the P200 gives some nice push on the top end and the jet will slow to a crawl and keep flying. I think moving the CG aft 1/2 inch is the way to go inverted was fine at this setting. Im still learning to slow the thing down but it is a joy to fly! Highly recommend this one for anyone. 8 minute flight gave me a half tank at landing so you could easily fly 10+ minutes

Last edited by FenderBean; 03-06-2016 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:43 PM
number27

Tks Keith for your build, effort and feedback to this thread. I will be using some of your tips on my Rebel Pro when it arrives later this month. Vector pipe & Unilighting system will be added along with smoke.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:16 PM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Azza and Sonny of Horizon Hobby UK Team showing why the Rebel Pro is the definitive large sport jet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKNTIufPatE
Old 06-06-2016, 03:24 PM
cmjets

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi friends, new set Kevlar tanks for Rebel Pro !!!
i hope you like it !!!

Regards from Spain
Carlos
www.cmjets.com

Views:	1016
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	2166522  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.