Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

The new D-CAT air trap

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

The new D-CAT air trap

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 01:06 AM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK so I'm struggling here, it's not a Festo bash either but more a why complicate things.....

You have an option to use a barb fitting (Festo make these as well) which once you have fitted and safety wired will deliver total reliability over a long period of time, its easy to check and monitor for leaks verses using a push fit coupling which requires (looking at your post) a 4 point list of DO's & DONT'S - why take the risk plus they cost more?

1) use as few as possible - uses as many barbs as you like with confidence
2) only use polyurethane tubes - use any suitable fuel rated tubing
3) change them out, along with the fuel pickup lines, at least once every 2 years - barbs last indefinitely no need to change
4) do not make tight turns right out of the connector (rather, make a loop and keep the line straight out of it) - with barbs the you only need to ensure the tube is not kinked

Maybe I'm missing something here...... help!

marcs
Old 09-13-2016, 01:17 AM
mauryr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marc s
OK so I'm struggling here, it's not a Festo bash either but more a why complicate things.....

You have an option to use a barb fitting (Festo make these as well) which once you have fitted and safety wired will deliver total reliability over a long period of time, its easy to check and monitor for leaks verses using a push fit coupling which requires (looking at your post) a 4 point list of DO's & DONT'S - why take the risk plus they cost more?

1) use as few as possible - uses as many barbs as you like with confidence
2) only use polyurethane tubes - use any suitable fuel rated tubing
3) change them out, along with the fuel pickup lines, at least once every 2 years - barbs last indefinitely no need to change
4) do not make tight turns right out of the connector (rather, make a loop and keep the line straight out of it) - with barbs the you only need to ensure the tube is not kinked

Maybe I'm missing something here...... help!

marcs
How do you inspect fuel filters and fuel pickups in tanks if you only use barbs? You have to cut the tube every time, making it shorter (needs replacing far too often) and you may ruin the barb, which would make it far less reliable than the festo.
I try to use as many barbs as I can, but some are just too inconvenient and I'd rather do the festo maintenance. Also, I like their valves and I only know of QS versions.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:31 AM
marc s

With periodic maintenance and replacement of fuel lines etc you can cut the tube from the barb, if done correctly it wont damage the barb and replace the tube with a fresh one of the correct length. On tanks I tend to use my own product which requires 6 screws to remove the access plate which is connected to the fuel line and clunk (via a barb) - this does not require any fuel lines to be removed.

My point is when you can use a barb or a push fit why opt for the one which gives more points of possible failure, costs more and requires more periodical maintenance?

marcs
Old 09-13-2016, 02:03 AM
mauryr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marc s
With periodic maintenance and replacement of fuel lines etc you can cut the tube from the barb, if done correctly it wont damage the barb and replace the tube with a fresh one of the correct length. On tanks I tend to use my own product which requires 6 screws to remove the access plate which is connected to the fuel line and clunk (via a barb) - this does not require any fuel lines to be removed.

My point is when you can use a barb or a push fit why opt for the one which gives more points of possible failure, costs more and requires more periodical maintenance?

marcs
For me it's just a matter of time and convenience.
I inspect my fuel filter every month or so, replace tygon pickups every year, don't really change PU fuel lines very often.
I guess in the end it boils down to personal preference, once one is informed on the value and shortcomings of each and makes an informed decision!
Old 09-13-2016, 03:56 AM
Aussie Bart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marc
Sounds like a good opportunity for a few beers, paper and a pencil. See you there.
Shane
Old 09-13-2016, 04:30 AM
marc s

Shane, sure - you got an idea to discuss or just placing a big order

Got two Aussie's visiting me now at the show.............not sure if that's good or bad!

marcs
Old 09-13-2016, 06:48 PM
Aussie Bart

Its ok marc. Both aussies will be together so make sure you wear you gum boots.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:38 PM
marc s

Most have loaded the wrong video guys

marcs
Old 10-03-2016, 12:48 AM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Fantastic. Congratulations.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:27 AM
Bob Toilet

I will continue to use the "original" Supertrap from Intairco!
i have it in all my planes, and i am very happy with them.
I dont think i would risk buying something from ultimate jets/ Oli.
I think he is to obsessed of being right. I am afraid If i buy his product,
and have a issue with it. He will Mail me 100 Pages of theoretical
"evidence" saying his product is perfect, and therefor it has to be user's fault....

christian
Old 10-03-2016, 03:28 AM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

aussie bart, whst is your point? pst has made an air trap tank, jmp makes one too. not to mention bvm, hanson and CAT. i have never seen or heard of the intairco trap. im sure its nice too. but lay off the bashing. it sure wont grow your sales. barry
Old 10-03-2016, 04:52 AM
Remco45

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Marcs,

Altough the present CAT V2 works perfectly, I'm always interested in improved products.
So looking forward to the new D-CAT.
When will it be on your website?

Cheers,

Remco45
Old 10-03-2016, 09:51 AM
marc s

Remco,

Hi there, really sorry not to have replied as I know you sent me an email - been mega busy since Jetpower (no excuse I know).
Managed to find an hour to load some new DCAT stock onto my site last night - a bunch went overnight to new orders but should be fine for stock for a few days...

marcs
Old 10-03-2016, 10:48 PM
WimB
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Marc,

I just installed the CAT V2 in my Scorpion yesterday. I wanted to give the fuel system an update, since I had to change the landing gear anyway. Again, I find the CAT a great product, like the improvement you made on it! I have 2 of the V1's installed in my Tomcat, and they perform flawless!
thx as well for sending me the upgraded version of the Maglock. This proves to me that you're a stand up man, who backs his products!

Wim

Wim
Old 10-03-2016, 10:55 PM
marc s

Wim you are very welcome.

marcs
Old 10-04-2016, 10:35 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

I have removed a number of posts from this thread. They were made by a competitor and or his agents. Replies to these posts have also been deleted. The .RCU rule on this is crystal clear

Companies will refrain from posting in threads of their competitors where the subject contains another companies name or product in it.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:43 AM
Remco45

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Marc,

Found it on your website (i'd looked only in the news section instead of the shop, sorry)

Remco45
Old 10-04-2016, 12:18 PM
marc s

No problem Remco, I need to update the news section too......

Thank you mods for 'tidying up' this thread.

marcs
Old 05-14-2017, 07:43 AM
bRandom

Hey Marc! Awesome innovative ideas with your products!!! I love my CAT in my rookie2. Oli if you are tuned into this forum still, feel free to chime in...
So, I have the ADJets Diamond I am currently building. I noticed on the instruction manual pg. 24 that UJ had mentioned using a 777ml air trap they sell, and when placed forward in the aircraft, it will help it balance without additional lead... (which I did not find for sale anywhere on the ultimate-jets website). 777ml is a lot of weight (like 26oz.) So maybe im reading the instructions incorrectly, or it is a typo... but the picture shows one of your CAT traps installed. Im thinking I might want the largest/heaviest air trap I can find, but is too large a trap a bad thing? In either case, I love your products and glad people like you and Oli are being innovative and driving this exciting hobby to the upper limits. I want products that work and look awesome! If I was overly concerned with price, I would buy cheaper products, but I want the highest level of peace of mind on my expensive jets, and people like me really count on innovators and experienced jet modelers to drive things forward and make expensive mistakes so that I do not have to! Anyways, looking forward to owning a DCAT and other products you offer. Keep up the great work!
Brandon Walker

Last edited by bRandom; 05-14-2017 at 10:13 AM.