Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Setup Help

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Setup Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 09:18 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Setup Help

Setting up a new plane and wanted to get some advice on various setups. It's got 11 channels that I want to use. I fly futaba and thought of these 3 options (telemetry is not necessary but would be nice):

Option 1. I can go with a single 6014hs receiver and a wolverine switch (3x jr outputs).

Option 2. (telemetry enabled) Two 7008sb receivers to get the 11 channels that I need and telemetry. Wolverine switch with one output into each receiver and then y the third output into an additional channel slot in each receiver or just go with the 1 input into each and just ignore 3rd output.

Option 3. One 7008sb receiver and a powerbox mercury srs with iGyro. (i was planning on using a demon cortex in the plane as well.)

Option 3 would eliminate the wolverine switch, the demon cortex, and still allow me to use 2 independent batteries. My concern with this option is that I have never used any powerbox equipment at all and not really sure how good the iGyro is in this unit.

Any advice or other options are welcomed.

Patrick
Old 01-02-2017, 09:22 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Are you using Sbus servos?
Old 01-02-2017, 10:08 PM
sirrom

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Are you using Sbus servos?
No SBus servos.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:01 AM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Go with Option 3, but run 2 x 7008's and use the igyro in the Mercury. Nothing to beat receiver and battery redundancy together with solid telemetry and a very good Gyro. I use Futaba and that setup in many of my jets.

Cheers,

Jan
Old 01-03-2017, 04:33 AM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Use (2) 7008 connected via SBus to a bavarianDEMON Cortex Pro. All flight control surfaces connected to the Cortex Pro. Other servos/controls connected to either of the 7008's. We recently set this up in a 3D J10 for a customer and he is very happy.
Old 01-03-2017, 11:42 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not to confuse the issue, but what about an s bus decoder to run the throttle/gear/brakes... to free stuff up? Might make it easier.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:25 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Springbok Flyer
Go with Option 3, but run 2 x 7008's and use the igyro in the Mercury. Nothing to beat receiver and battery redundancy together with solid telemetry and a very good Gyro. I use Futaba and that setup in many of my jets.

Cheers,

Jan
I agree with this set up. Run 2 each receivers over SBus to the gyro, then PWM out of the gyro to the servos.

And you wont need an extra SBus decoder as you will have many PWM outputs available from the 2 receivers for non stabilized channels (flaps, gear, throttle, etc)
Old 01-03-2017, 03:40 PM
sirrom

Originally Posted by mr_matt
I agree with this set up. Run 2 each receivers over SBus to the gyro, then PWM out of the gyro to the servos.

And you wont need an extra SBus decoder as you will have many PWM outputs available from the 2 receivers for non stabilized channels (flaps, gear, throttle, etc)
But doesn't the power box allow me to run 15 channels directly from it? Why would I use any of the outputs from the rx's to run the non stabilized channels?

Patrick
Old 01-03-2017, 04:14 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Depends on the size of your jet, if it's a smaller size I would go Sbus with decoders. With a large jet I would throw in the power system to help with those power hungry servos.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:17 PM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

With our J10 customer he wanted to keep the size and more importantly weight to a minimum. He actually started with a PB Mercury but didn't care for the extra weight. The Cortex Pro/dual 7008 setup was the lightest most compact way to go while retaining a dual rx solution. It's a really slick setup. The output channels on the physical PWM ports on the 7008 can be shifted depending on what mode the 7008 is set to. Very cool.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:23 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sirrom
But doesn't the power box allow me to run 15 channels directly from it? Why would I use any of the outputs from the rx's to run the non stabilized channels?

Patrick
Yes sorry I was thinking of just a gyro. If you have the Powerbox Mercury then yes it would have the decoded PWM outputs.

The advantage of these powerbox units (the SRS types like the Mercury) is that you can run 2 receivers and the SRS box will use the best signal from either one. I don't know of any other way of doing this without some hokey servo set up or one of those sketchy reverse engineered decoder boxes.

Also, the Powerbox iGyros adjust the gyro gain based on the speed of your plane. I think this is important if you have a plane with a very wide speed range, but of course this is up to you.

I ran dual 7008SB receivers through an iGyro SRS (without the powerbox feature) and just wired the 2 batteries on either side of the gyro to spread the load a bit. In that case I was using non SBus servos. I set up a similar plane, this time with dual 7003SB receivers and SBus2 servos, and no powerbox to save the weight and hassle.

If I did use a powerbox it would likely be the Mercury. IMHO it is a decent value if you know you want a powerbox function.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:22 AM
sirrom

Wanted to say thanks to everyone for the input...I am going with option 3. I was able to get a smoking hot deal on a powerbox Royal SRS, with GPS and after reading the manuals about what the powerbox royal and mercury can do...it only seemed logical for what I wanted to do.

Patrick