Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Newbie Servo Installation

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Newbie Servo Installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 07:42 AM
hitandmiss58

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Servo Installation

I have purchased my first Turbine Jet a L-39 from SkySun Hobbies in China. Was delivered in less than one week Wow. Ordered servos from hobbyking east coast warehouse in stock items before Christmas and just received them Wow. Anyways do you guys install the servos to backside of the covers and then rely on screws that hold covers on aircraft ? Thanks for all help.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:35 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

No assembly Manual? Read the manual at least twice. Once you understand every thing they are asking you to do, then start assembling. If you do not understand something, then ask questions. If there is no manual,then definitely link up with a experienced builder right away. You do not want this thing blowing apart in the air. Too expensive and offers the potential for a safety risk to spectators and other pilots.

An L-39 for a first jet is going to be a handful to assemble and fly. Try to find an experienced Jet Guy and link up with that person through the assembly and especially during your first few flights. Jets fly differently than prop planes, and a L-39 is NOT a beginner's jet.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:45 AM
hitandmiss58

No instructions but here are a couple pictures
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4274.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	2199294   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4276.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	2199295  
Old 02-02-2017, 06:44 AM
mauryr

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks a bit delicate for a 6 kg plane: from the pictures that looks like the habu 32 wing, which weights about half as much.
The very least I would do to those servo mounts is to soak the 2 balsa blocks with thin CA and also all the joints between the servo cover and mount to strenghten the whole thing a bit.
Same goes with the supports where the screws go into the wing (tap the hole first, squirt some ca, let it dry, mount the cover)
Old 02-02-2017, 07:47 AM
Jgwright

Originally Posted by hitandmiss58
I have purchased my first Turbine Jet a L-39 from SkySun Hobbies in China. Was delivered in less than one week Wow. Ordered servos from hobbyking east coast warehouse in stock items before Christmas and just received them Wow. Anyways do you guys install the servos to backside of the covers and then rely on screws that hold covers on aircraft ? Thanks for all help.
This looks a very flimsy construction. Bear in mind that Chinese ply is usually not much stronger than balsa. Screwing servo screws into end grain balsa is not a great idea. If the plane was mine I would remake all the servo mounts. It is ok to fix the servos to the cover plate and screw that to the pane structure, but you also have very weak looking ply ears to screw into.

One thing that Chinese are famous for with models of this type is not fitting shear webs glued to the wing spars or fretting great big holes in them. Might be an idea to post a photo of the construction looking forward inside the wing.

Not sure why you bought this model as a first turbine model. I would have opted for something like the Excalibur that maybe costs a bit more but is a well known plane that will fly without making any mods to it.

John
Old 02-02-2017, 09:21 AM
luge_racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you should consider taking a few steps back and at least build a trainer ARF or kit before tackling a Turbine. Jets aren't well suited for newbies who don't know simple servo instalation, which are skills you learn with more basic aircraft.

I'm sorry but it seems as if you're trying to run a marathon before you crawl.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:19 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

See post 4 http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...ld-thread.html
Old 02-03-2017, 01:37 PM
Eaglepilot2

^^^^Where on earth have you been?^^^^^ Have missed seeing your informative posts.

Originally Posted by seanreit
Old 02-03-2017, 07:10 PM
SECRET AGENT
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Sean! Missed ya bro.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:47 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

We spent some big dollars putting Ryan back together: http://gcexperts.com/Ryan

Had to make some changes in lifestyle. Our new plan was to position ourselves differently to have more time as Ryan still requires nearly 24 hour care.

Miss the good ole days, and certainly didn't mean to abandon everyone. Still talk to Todd Witkoff every once in a while.

As regards RC, I have absolutely nothing from the old days (and thankfully RCU has archived what I achieved, but it also archived what a ***** I could be).

I've been reduced to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3dBDnIzPjQ

However on the upside, Elda and I are still laughing about the stupid things in life, our family held up and stuck together through the tough times, we got the kids out and on their way in life, and every once in a while I get to sit back, read the gossip in the jet forums that one time spurred a passion in me and drove me in a direction like no other.

Still having fun, just a different kind! Take care guys!

Sean
Old 02-04-2017, 10:46 AM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Its fine. The plate is tabbed in and reinforced at the corners with balsa. The entire plate being screwed down via the 4 corners works well. This is how many, many kits are designed. I would agree though..if this is your first turbine aircraft get GOOD advice from experienced modelers near you. I have flown some good and well...not so good L39s over the years. They can be a handful.

Good luck!
Dean W.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:06 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I would never do my servos this way. You have a much stiffer structure just underneath the servo. All of that structure to hold the servo to the hatch and then 4 little #2 screws to hold it down??