Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fly Eagle Jets Hawk 2.66m Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fly Eagle Jets Hawk 2.66m Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 09:20 AM
JoeJr1485

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Where is the Flux Capacitor?
Dang!!! I knew I forgot to add something! 😆
Old 07-02-2017, 05:38 PM
hoser

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Joe I have one of these on the way looking forward to your build and maiden.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:36 PM
JoeJr1485

Originally Posted by hoser
Joe I have one of these on the way looking forward to your build and maiden.
awesome! I had to put it on hold on the build and put it back in the boxes. I'm about to move so starting pack everything up. If you have any questions just let me know. I'll start back at around November when my family and I are all settled in.
Old 07-28-2017, 09:28 PM
steveline9

Default What to do??

Hi guys,

I am thinking of ordering the 2.66 hawk and too have my concerns about the quality. The things I can see there don't really bother me although they should be better right from the factory.
Just worries me that if care is not taken on the things you can see what is lurking in the places you can't? I have asked James for a picture of the elevator before the top skin goes on maybe saving you buying a new one to destroy. Also would like the same with the wings so will post here for you when and if if I get that. I personally think this would be a great plus point for flyeagle as they should be doing everything to put a customers mind at rest after there reputation has taken a severe hit.
I think if all is good then this is a value for money jet, never built an ARTF where I have not had to do something on it to make it airworthy.

Last edited by steveline9; 07-28-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 02:13 AM
steveline9

Default Elevator fix

Here are the pictures of the new elevator internals for you guys.
Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4061.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	419.6 KB
ID:	2226092   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4060.PNG
Views:	396
Size:	4.71 MB
ID:	2226094  

Last edited by steveline9; 07-29-2017 at 02:19 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:27 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Every time I read a post in one of these threads that starts with 'I just ordered one of these' or 'I'm thinking of ordering one of these', it makes me think about the "Light Grenade" scene from "Mom and Dad Save the World." Highly underrated flick, btw.....

Old 07-29-2017, 06:28 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Steve, is that just airex foam being used for the front spar?
Old 07-29-2017, 06:32 AM
steveline9

Originally Posted by FenderBean
Steve, is that just airex foam being used for the front spar?
No mate it's ply both sides of the Ali bar then airex on the sides of the ply. Bolts are drilled through the bar into the ply but personally would have liked to see the whole of the triangle filled with the bar just for peace of mind.
Will be doing a mod on mine with 3mm carbon plate to fill that whole area.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:00 AM
JoeJr1485

Originally Posted by steveline9
Here are the pictures of the new elevator internals for you guys.
Thoughts?
The thing to take away from these two pictures is that its clear that they have made improvements on the rear stabs. I know that the one on the left is the new one. Thanks for posting this. I wish I could I could take pictures with this little snake camera that I have. I looked inside the wings when I was putting the wings together and it looked pretty good. I cant wait to get it back out of the boxes so I can finish up what little I have left to do. But that will not be until I get to Germany.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:26 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Really trying to figure out why the put the air ex their. Its not meant for a compression load of the bolts. They tried the same with honey comb. Again not meant for compression load. Over time those bolts will work loose. It won't be in 20 or 30 flights but sometime after that its going to fail.

Its improper use of composites. They would be much better using a thicker piece of ply. Weight is not a very big deal on these larger planes but airworthiness is a huge deal.
Old 07-29-2017, 12:50 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

if the bolts are through the airex they will loosen like described above, it needs to be a hard surface that will not crush
Old 07-29-2017, 01:10 PM
Thruster

Last edited by Thruster; 07-31-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 03:43 PM
powerjets
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

20/30 flights, that's a huge improvement!
Still no idea about proper material/ engineering, but hey, if they sell, who cares?
its a deja vu, on a deja vu, incredible ��, it is exactly like the clip Shaun, great comparison !
Old 07-29-2017, 06:53 PM
olnico

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't see a ply/ airex sandwich here. It is just a thin ply spar with an airex sheet glued on the outer side. This airex sheet alone will not resist compression and is useless. Airex gets to bear compression loads when used vertically, only if it is properly vacuum molded as a composite sandwich ( the resin is forced by porosity into the foam core and bonds the composite layup/ the whole has a certain amount of vertical compression strength ).
So basically the only thing holding that massive aluminum bracket is two thin ply strips. Also, there is no rib to carry the shear load at the end of the bracket, There is a massive accumulation of load in this area.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:00 PM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same old FEJ. Improper use of composites, but when you attach a catchy name to it people will believe that is is "quality". This thing is as big of a piece of crap as all of their other jets. As long as unbelieving people waste their money on this junk they will keep selling it.
Old 07-29-2017, 07:42 PM
hoser

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

both images give me concern, if there is not another ply or CF rib at the end of that alum. (metal bar) it will just work loose over time on that large full flying stab

my .02
Old 07-29-2017, 09:27 PM
steveline9

Originally Posted by JoeJr1485
The thing to take away from these two pictures is that its clear that they have made improvements on the rear stabs. I know that the one on the left is the new one. Thanks for posting this. I wish I could I could take pictures with this little snake camera that I have. I looked inside the wings when I was putting the wings together and it looked pretty good. I cant wait to get it back out of the boxes so I can finish up what little I have left to do. But that will not be until I get to Germany.
Hi Joe......the one on the left is the old one mate.
I did ask about wing pics too but he did have a point when he said the wings of the hawk have not been an issue.
Looking forward to the rest of your build. The new elevator is much improved but I'm just going to go the extra mile. Watched many videos of the pro's building composite wings and have very little in the way of structure in there as it only has to keep the skins apart but the torque rod/bar needs to be attached properly in the first place.

Cheers

Last edited by steveline9; 07-29-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:33 PM
steveline9

Originally Posted by Thruster
What bolts, there are not bolts in the new hawk tail shown? Its ply airex sandwich formers with the ali brace glued in place against the ply!

They are now increadibly strong, in fact Id say have almost over compensated......
and then balsa and glass skined.

only bolts used are when you bolt it to the metal rocker etc the to the airframe which you can beef up as much as you wish :-)
If you look closely you will see drill holes where the bolts have gone through the ply into the threaded Ali bar.
There are 4 each side as shown by the holes in the airex.
This is what I have been told and it is clearly visible in the picture. They are not only glued.
The airex in my mind does nothing to add to strength but the skins only have to stay apart and the the torque bar stopped from rotating so i will be adding a carbon 3mm plate to the whole of that inside area and hysol in place. It will be as strong as it gets after that.

Last edited by steveline9; 07-29-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:25 PM
JoeJr1485

Originally Posted by steveline9
Hi Joe......the one on the left is the old one mate.
I did ask about wing pics too but he did have a point when he said the wings of the hawk have not been an issue.
Looking forward to the rest of your build. The new elevator is much improved but I'm just going to go the extra mile. Watched many videos of the pro's building composite wings and have very little in the way of structure in there as it only has to keep the skins apart but the torque rod/bar needs to be attached properly in the first place.

Cheers
Hey Steveline9,

thanks for the correction on the picture I meant to say the right picture lol. I agree with you on the torque bar. I feel that we all can agree that they have made improvements but still needs to tweak a few more items and should be good to go. I'm going to moving close to your neck of the woods soon lol I'll have to PM you and we can try to hit up some Jet events
Old 07-29-2017, 10:55 PM
steveline9

Originally Posted by JoeJr1485
Hey Steveline9,

thanks for the correction on the picture I meant to say the right picture lol. I agree with you on the torque bar. I feel that we all can agree that they have made improvements but still needs to tweak a few more items and should be good to go. I'm going to moving close to your neck of the woods soon lol I'll have to PM you and we can try to hit up some Jet events
Hi Joe,

Sounds good to me mate drop me a PM, always good to meet new people in our hobby.
Yes mate way improved but I'm not keen on bolts the holes will elongate in time so a simple carbon plate fixes the issue and elongates the bar spreading the load to those formers.
They don't have to be thick ply formers they are fine as they are.
The small issues you can see are nothing but a good reason to bash the kit for some and to be fair you can understand that from the guys who unfortunately lost models. These small things should be good right out of the factory.
Old 07-29-2017, 10:57 PM
steveline9

Mines on order by the way :0)
Old 07-30-2017, 07:47 AM
Shaun Evans

Originally Posted by powerjets
20/30 flights, that's a huge improvement!
Still no idea about proper material/ engineering, but hey, if they sell, who cares?
its a deja vu, on a deja vu, incredible ��, it is exactly like the clip Shaun, great comparison !

Yep.

It's kind of sad how this works. Leaving aside the business model where the customers do the beta-testing at their own risk and they pay up-front and wait for however-long-they-string-you-along, there's worse. Every time these guys (and outfits like them) urge their new customers to come on here and try to whitewash the obvious abysmal track record, they do achieve the goal of hooking unsuspecting others to become 'new customers.' The cycle continues.... terrible ethics are rewarded, terrible (and dangerous) design/engineering deficiencies are rewarded, a 'depraved indifference' to the safety of modelers and their spectators is rewarded, etc. For me, the worst part is the ethics thing. I just can't understand why these 'new' customers really don't care how this company has behaved and treated their customers thus far. I really don't get that. They'd never board an aircraft that had a reputation for poor maintenance, unexplained crashes and the passengers themselves being blamed and smeared for having been in the crash. They'd never buy a car from a dealer if two of their neighbors got screwed by that dealer (and the dealer badmouthed the neighbors and tried to bully them into silence). They'd never go to a surgeon who'd never been to medical school, but did surgery by trial-and-error. Why why why do they keep companies like this alive by rewarding their practices and ethics and actually HELP them gain new victims? I really don't get it....

Light Grenade. "Pick Me Up."
Old 07-30-2017, 08:24 AM
mullerr

That's the best,
I gota watch the rest of that movie,
I also think it's great how it's completely ignored,
I call it lipstick on a pig, looks better but still a pig.

Richard
​​​​​​​
Old 07-30-2017, 10:24 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gunradd
Really trying to figure out why the put the air ex their. Its not meant for a compression load of the bolts. They tried the same with honey comb. Again not meant for compression load. Over time those bolts will work loose. It won't be in 20 or 30 flights but sometime after that its going to fail.

Its improper use of composites. They would be much better using a thicker piece of ply. Weight is not a very big deal on these larger planes but airworthiness is a huge deal.

+1 well stated.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:25 AM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by olnico
I don't see a ply/ airex sandwich here. It is just a thin ply spar with an airex sheet glued on the outer side. This airex sheet alone will not resist compression and is useless. Airex gets to bear compression loads when used vertically, only if it is properly vacuum molded as a composite sandwich ( the resin is forced by porosity into the foam core and bonds the composite layup/ the whole has a certain amount of vertical compression strength ).
So basically the only thing holding that massive aluminum bracket is two thin ply strips. Also, there is no rib to carry the shear load at the end of the bracket, There is a massive accumulation of load in this area.
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.