Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Uncertainty

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Uncertainty

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 07:39 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It does surprise me that we aren't using a mil-spec radio for our hobby. We're relying on a $140 rx for our $20K jets????
Old 04-03-2017, 07:46 AM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you Mr. Tarr for the heads up. Some may see your comments as advertising but many of us long timers have come to respect and regard your posts for what they are....as valuable information.
Please continue to post your findings and don't let the egos of the " testosterone driven - know it alls " persuade you otherwise.
Many of us mature turbine modelers continue to value your input on RCU.

Dean Wichmann
turbines since 1998
rc since 1976
Old 04-03-2017, 08:11 AM
flyloose

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

At worst the OP was a shameless plug, but more than anything just respectful sharing of opinion on an interesting topic.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:36 AM
marc s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So whats wrong with a plug anyway?

marcs
Old 04-03-2017, 08:45 AM
flyloose

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by marc s
So whats wrong with a plug anyway?

marcs
Nothing really.....
Old 04-03-2017, 09:02 AM
marc s

Great, glad that's cleared up! - maybe now we can revert back to the topic of 2.4 and is it the benchmark for our hobby for a long time to come or are there challenges like Darryl details where other technology/product direction goes some way to resolving/addressing the issues.

No *****ing, trolling, slagging or being generally nasty, be nice and be constructive.....

marcs
Old 04-03-2017, 09:44 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't think we would have seen it as an advertisement if there hadn't already been some Jeti "plugs" trying to advertise while bashing other brands. It's not a secret that Jeti has jumped in and boasted about there product in different threads. If the product is truly that good and others are not folks will see this and move that way. Let the product do the talking especially with something folks are sooo loyal about.
I think the way he posted was a bit confusing, I couldn't tell what the point was and it did seem like an advertisement. That being said talking about your personal experience with a product is highly encouraged here. That's how we find out about new things and if we want to invest in it, but just saying it's the best while others are flawed is not going to work. Especially when the other brands have been around a lot longer. I do a lot of product reviews in my builds and I always try and give the good and bad so people can make their own decision. Cheers! It's a hobby have fun, be happy!
Old 04-03-2017, 11:00 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the 900mhz "Backup " sounds all well and good, It is my understanding that there only 4 frequencies available in the United States that has been allocated for RC operations. Therfore, if you have 5+ Jeti syatems in use and utilizing that feature, you now have a bigger problem than you may have started with.... It seems that by having that in play you have now increased your chances of box a of coat hangers.... It's like most of us know, not all twin engine airplanes will fly on one engine, by having two engines, you have just doubled you chances of dying..... Just say'in....

Dan

Last edited by rcjetsaok; 04-03-2017 at 11:01 AM. Reason: sp.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:48 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderBean
It's not a secret that Jeti has jumped in and boasted about there product in different threads. !
Jeti has not!! Jeti is not on these forums.
You are mostly referring to one American individual, who imports Jeti into the USA and calls his business JetiUSA, but he is not Jeti. It's a pity that it puts many people off from considering the Jeti system.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:39 PM
patrnflyr
My Feedback: (7)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes it is a pity!! Agree 100% but it does
Old 04-03-2017, 12:42 PM
TimD.
My Feedback: (207)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I see no reason why this person can't post his opinions on what he personally thinks of Jeti.
That is the purpose of these forums?

I, like him have a fair value vested in my TOY airplanes, about 40-60k worth. I have used JR for seems like 3 decades. When 2.4 came out I had to move 25 or so planes over. This can get expensive quick ! I have had GREAT success with 2.4. As of late when I decided to upgrade again I bought the DX18 never got to use it, it was recalled for a green dot right out of the box. So then I just went ahead and bought the DX20 and guess what happened three weeks after purchasing it? The day before its first use. Recalled again

So, yes I am open to possibilities, As I feel that I am BSing away money.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:54 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryC
Jeti has not!! Jeti is not on these forums.
You are mostly referring to one American individual, who imports Jeti into the USA and calls his business JetiUSA, but he is not Jeti. It's a pity that it puts many people off from considering the Jeti system.
So Jeti USA is not where one would go if living in the USA and needed warranty service on their products? Is there another option in the states other than shipping a warranty claim to the Czech Republic? I was under the impression that said individual is an integral part of Jeti Europe and not just a rep or dealer.
Old 04-03-2017, 01:17 PM
F1 Rocket

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by afterburner
So Jeti USA is not where one would go if living in the USA and needed warranty service on their products? Is there another option in the states other than shipping a warranty claim to the Czech Republic? I was under the impression that said individual is an integral part of Jeti Europe and not just a rep or dealer.
Esprit Model / Jeti USA are the official North American importer / distributor for all Jeti Model products. But there are several Jeti dealers here as well. Chief Aircraft, Dreamworks RC, AeroPanda, F3A unlimited to name a few. These dealers are your first line of support. Most actively fly the system themselves and can help trouble shoot an issue. Yes, a warranty claim would ultimately go back through the importer but your dealer can handle that for you if you want.
Old 04-03-2017, 05:51 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rcjetsaok
Well, the 900mhz "Backup " sounds all well and good, It is my understanding that there only 4 frequencies available in the United States that has been allocated for RC operations. Therfore, if you have 5+ Jeti syatems in use and utilizing that feature, you now have a bigger problem than you may have started with.... It seems that by having that in play you have now increased your chances of box a of coat hangers.... It's like most of us know, not all twin engine airplanes will fly on one engine, by having two engines, you have just doubled you chances of dying..... Just say'in....

Dan
Could you please tell me more about these 4 frequencies available in the USA for RC?
It is the first time I've ever heard this mentioned.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:35 PM
Chris Nicastro

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

RC systems are passive systems by design as required by the FCC in the US and EU agencies.
So if youre near a military or law enforcement communication system you will have problems. Even a railroad radio transmission has been known by our club to be the cause of several aircraft losses.
So by definition our segment of the radio freq spectrum is low priority and will be over run by anything deemed more important.
In the 90's I lost a plane when a Sherrif car and helicopter entered a property next to our flying field at the San Gabriel Valley Fliers Club in Los Angeles. We have Sheriffs and Cops park and write reports next our local field here and several guys have had issues when they are present. We spoke with them to resolve this issue.
EU RC systems are required to be lower transmitting power too last I checked. If you have a HAM Radio operators license then you can operate at commercial power levels as seen in heavy equipment or aerospace or other commercial professional applications.

If you are seeing lots of frames lost or poor Rx performance then you need to move the Rx satellites around and possibly drill a few small holes to allow the antenna wires to poke out 1/4 inch or more.

I dont believe there are any perfect RC radio systems available but you can be confident today with a good installation. You can spend $2600 or $600 but a poor installation will kill either plane just the same.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:11 PM
c/f

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Help me understand this, I have been using an Eagle tree dashboard Pro for 15 years of jet flying for telemetry info for true airspeed and altitude only. In my first year of use the ETDP 900Mhz would wig out in a particular area of my home field only. So Eagle Tree set me up with a second unit on a Beta 2.4g Dashboard Pro, this fixed things at my home field till this day. So I have the original 900Mhz which works fine everywhere else besides home field, and a 2.4g Dashboard. Considering that there is a Tx and Rx as part of the dashboard, does this 900Mhz Tx have potential to interfere with other such RF as Jeti?
Old 04-03-2017, 08:58 PM
darryltarr
My Feedback: (2)

PHEW !!!!

Well now that the dust has settled I would like to thank those that supported the highlighted issues, and my character, thanks Guys.

As for the rest, I sincerely apologize for upsetting you so please CHILL guys, this is a great hobby that we have.

And just to settle things further you may like to know that I still fly:

Futaba T18MZ and T14MZ
JR DSX12 / PCM12X / PCM9 / PCM10s on 72MHz which I still fly a composite Bandit (built in 2002)
Spectrum DX9 (which I sold recently to a guy who wants to use it for his Foamies)
JETI DC-24

As Chris mentioned above: There is no such thing in RC as a 100% reliable RF link, 100% of the time

So whats the objective: To find something that will protect your investment. Will I fly all my fleet on FM (72/36/35Mhz), maybe in Australia, but not here. WHY, because there are more reliable systems available. Likewise we all know that the original DSM2 has limitations and therefore we may make a choice to upgrade - its your choice.

My OP indicated that "Here in the ME" we have HIGH RF noise - not all the time, but some days are definitely worse than others, and we have proved this with Spectrum Analyzers, Telemetry Systems, and on-board Flight Recorders. Please understand that NOTHING is licensed here, there are no regulations at all, and frankly some equipment at the club would simply be banned elsewhere (and yet kdunlap thought my OP statements were broad brush).

Gentlemen, I wasn't talking about your part of the world. As I mentioned earlier, you guys should be just fine with what you have so consider yourself fortunate.

Now dare I say it (as its seems to be a sacred word), but JETI have recognized that 2.4 is NOT 100% secure and therefore have produced equipment which at least has redundancy (900 MHz).

There are also other radios at our club that do very well (as the downloaded telemetry RF signal will be clean - which means it handles the unwanted 2.4 noise a lot better than some other brands), and these are Graupner HOT and Weatronic, to name a few.

Whatever works for you, works for you, and I wasn't trying to change your mind. All I said was this:

QUOTE: Should any of you ever feel any uncertainty or lack of confidence in your current RF equipment, and want something “Bullet Proof”, then please do yourself a favor and do some research, honestly you won’t be disappointed in JETI. END QUOTE

P.S. Mr. FalconWings, I don't do "crap". Here is a 2.4M Futura that I built for a friend several years ago

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Futura 83.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	490.2 KB
ID:	2208318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Futura 85.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	463.4 KB
ID:	2208319  
Old 04-03-2017, 09:02 PM
darryltarr

Double Post ???

Must be the 2.4 RF link hey (LOL)

Last edited by darryltarr; 04-03-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:00 AM
ltc

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Nicastro
RC systems are passive systems by design as required by the FCC in the US and EU agencies.
So if youre near a military or law enforcement communication system you will have problems. Even a railroad radio transmission has been known by our club to be the cause of several aircraft losses.
So by definition our segment of the radio freq spectrum is low priority and will be over run by anything deemed more important.
In the 90's I lost a plane when a Sherrif car and helicopter entered a property next to our flying field at the San Gabriel Valley Fliers Club in Los Angeles. We have Sheriffs and Cops park and write reports next our local field here and several guys have had issues when they are present. We spoke with them to resolve this issue.
EU RC systems are required to be lower transmitting power too last I checked. If you have a HAM Radio operators license then you can operate at commercial power levels as seen in heavy equipment or aerospace or other commercial professional applications.

If you are seeing lots of frames lost or poor Rx performance then you need to move the Rx satellites around and possibly drill a few small holes to allow the antenna wires to poke out 1/4 inch or more.

I dont believe there are any perfect RC radio systems available but you can be confident today with a good installation. You can spend $2600 or $600 but a poor installation will kill either plane just the same.
2.4GHz radio control systems are NOT passive systems
They are classified as Intentional Transmitting Devices under both FCC and EU (now under RED)
Even a receive only system would need to be certified for Unintentional Radiation
Old 04-04-2017, 02:54 AM
jescardin

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Reason for frame loses is not only -and probably mainly not- due to RF link quality but for real compatibility between SRS equipment and different brands receivers against which SRS manufacturers claim.

From personal experience I know of a respected German SRS equipment claimed to be fully compatible with all RC brands...but it is not!.

First of all they didnīt get the original data code from different RC manufacturers but anyway they deciphered it, so this is the first danger as they are unable to warranty full understanding of the signal from the receivers.

Then when manufacturers upgrades their communications protocols real problems arrive as they not always keep the original one even making the new one compatible with their own servos and accessories.

The result is users suddenly find that with new receivers they get a very high number of frame loses and suffer locks and failsafes, wrongly thinking the problems lay on the receivers or on the RF link when really the problem lays in that the SRS equipment simply is not 100% compatible with their receivers.

So when you get problems with your equipment, first have a complete look at the entire installation before blaming the transmitter/receivers set as there are more items contributing to the link robustness.

Best Regards.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:03 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderBean
That being said talking about your personal experience with a product is highly encouraged here. That's how we find out about new things and if we want to invest in it, but just saying it's the best while others are flawed is not going to work. Especially when the other brands have been around a lot longer. I do a lot of product reviews in my builds and I always try and give the good and bad so people can make their own decision. Cheers! It's a hobby have fun, be happy!

In that spirit, here are just some of the things I like about the Jeti system, no bashing of other brands, I have had a DS 16 for a couple of years.

1. I have a thing for bare metal scale jets so I worry about the flite-metal etc causing problems with the 2.4Ghz signal. The Jeti rx send received signal strength and data quality values back by telemetry which I get the Tx to speak live to me by pinging a switch when the model is at its furthest from me, and the Tx logs all the data so I can see it as a graph on the Tx screen after the flight and know whether the signal quality is close to the edge, which aerials are performing worst and best, etc. This gives me confidence that I am not flying close the edge of failsafing.

2. I bought and paid for a 16 channel system, which a bit later Jeti upgraded to 24 channels for free!!! The Tx is now on firmware v4.22, every so often Jeti releases a new version which has additional or enhanced features, all for free.

3. Jeti is a total system from batteries to sensors to regulators to powerboxes to electronic switches, there are even servos with telemetry. The only thing missing is gyros but the first ones are due within a couple of months and are not just gyros but accelerometers and magnetometers too.

4. The Jeti system is totally integrated, devices are programmed wirelessly from the Tx. The telemetry element is 2-way, so for example with the Xicoy ECU telemetry the Tx screen not only replicates the ground data terminal screen showing live data, it is the ground data terminal capable of changing the ECU values, selecting the “learn r/c” etc from the Tx without having an actual GDT. It means you program your aircraft’s devices without the need for a PC or smartphone.

5. The DS Tx have gyros and accelerometers built in which you can allocate to do anything that any stick or switch can do. At first I thought it was pointless but then I found I liked to be able to make the Tx speak my total flight time when thermal soaring, by tilting the Tx rather than reaching for a switch. I have read of some people using tilting the Tx back to control their wheel brakes.

6. You can contact Jeti (in the Czech Republic) direct. They write excellent English, their website has a contact form where you can make suggestions for new stuff, ask questions or report errors. On several occasions I have asked them technical questions about product or programming, and always had an email reply within 2 working days.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:26 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by darryltarr

P.S. Mr. FalconWings, I don't do "crap". Here is a 2.4M Futura that I built for a friend several years ago

Wasn't talking specifically about you. ;-)
Old 04-04-2017, 03:41 AM
darryltarr

Exactly Jesus, a great reminder that the early software versions would also interpret telemetry as antenna fades. A feature I really like with the latest software is that it specifically interprets JETI and HOT in a much better way: Antenna Fades will actually mean switching events between receivers (which is way more intuitive), and when running TWO JETI RX's with a SRS unit the display correctly displays FOUR RX's as each individual JETI RX has bidirectional transmission.

Harry, great post my friend and a gentle reminder that JETI is a European Company with great vision

Last edited by darryltarr; 04-04-2017 at 03:50 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-04-2017, 03:43 AM
darryltarr

Originally Posted by FalconWings
Wasn't talking specifically about you. ;-)
I know, thank you, no offense and none taken

Last edited by darryltarr; 04-04-2017 at 04:01 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:18 AM
David Gladwin

Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

An excellent, erudite, intelligent and knowledgeable post, Darryl ( and Harry) exactly the sort of information I want to read to inform me of other's real life experience. Thanks for writing it.

I remember well the adverse comments, often personal insults by some individuals who were critical ( with zero real experience or knowledge) of the Weatronics system and of my enthusiasm for it. My extensive experience proves my enthusiasm was well founded it and I still use it extensively on my fleet. It is a brilliant radio and the data acquired my Giga Control is, I believe , still unmatched. It makes the precise set up if even the most complex model ( my FC Mig 29 in my case) incredibly easy.

Although I now have a JR 28x which is a beautiful radio, it still does not match the Weatronic system capability in many aspects. Emerich Deutsch personally assured me that PowerBox WILL redesign the BAT 60 tx to their own electronic standards ( which are of the highest quality) and all current Weatronics rxs will be compatible. Were that not to happen I would certainly move to the Jeti system after discussing it with Harry, one of our most astute and knowledgeable fliers here in UK.

Its a great shame that certain individuals , who have nothing of value to say, have to say something to dumb down excellent posts such as yours. The downside of RCU.

Thanks again for for passing on this real world information based your experience of what I have heard is an exceptionally good and most capable radio, if it copes in Dubai it will cope anywhere !

David.

Last edited by David Gladwin; 04-04-2017 at 04:26 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.