Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Sport Jet: T-One Models Mini Fortune / Mini T1

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Sport Jet: T-One Models Mini Fortune / Mini T1

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2018, 08:51 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Got my engine mounted tonight, I haven’t bench run it yet, is it recommended to do so or is it pretty much good to go in the plane?
Old 09-13-2018, 09:48 PM
g8dget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tip22v

Had a bad day this past weekend and lost one of my T-1 minis, fortunately I still have my other T-1 Mini and regular T-1 to fly while I morn the loss of this baby. I've been flying turbines for just under seven years (~1000 flights) and this is my first loss, so I suppose it was bound to happen at some point. Initially I suspected some kind of flight control malfunction (servo, radio, gyro) but after watching the video (frame by frame) I'm convinced this accident was the result of a good ol' fashion stall. This was flight number 27 for this airframe but my first time shooting an approach from the north (rather than the south) with this particular jet. Because the approach from the north is much shorter than the approach from the south I rolled off the throttle about mid-way through the base leg with flaps full down, when I rolled out onto final I did not have the aircraft in a nose slightly low attitude to maintain airspeed, shortly after rolling out on final the right wing dipped very rapidly and the aircraft changed direction 90 deg to the right. I immediately went to full throttle in an effort to recover but the aircraft went behind some trees and I lost visual contact. At that point I cut the throttle and started the walk of shame. I was very pleasantly surprised to find the aircraft in the above condition, I expected much worse. Based on impact it looks like I was able to mostly level the aircraft before it hit the ground. The airframe is obviously a total loss, but all of the electronics are unharmed. The retracts are fine except for a bent pin on the nose gear. I will send the turbine back to Dirk for a complete inspection but the turbine does not even have a scratch on it.
My take-away from this event is: be very mindful of your nose attitude when you have the flaps all the way down and the throttle at idle, these jets will bleed energy very rapidly, and they will stall with no warning.

So now the big question is, order another T-1 mini or the new F-16?

I’m sorry for your loss! But I also love how you can share it with us totally unbiased and even take the blame for the crash. Not many people can.

oh btw I vote F16! Mine’s on the way!
Old 09-14-2018, 04:56 AM
T3chDad

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by camss69
Got my engine mounted tonight, I haven’t bench run it yet, is it recommended to do so or is it pretty much good to go in the plane?
It's definitely recommended! I had to do something while waiting on my air frame. But in all seriousness, IMO you don't need to...good to go in the plane.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:19 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

One of my new engine....a K85 that was going into my mini, had a problem on the bench on the very first start.....send it back and I up with a new one.......my plane would have burned up if it had been in there for the initial run, needless to say I will now run ALL the new engine before install in the planes.

This was the first time I was running my engine prior to install........
Old 09-14-2018, 09:24 AM
camss69

Originally Posted by Dansy
One of my new engine....a K85 that was going into my mini, had a problem on the bench on the very first start.....send it back and I up with a new one.......my plane would have burned up if it had been in there for the initial run, needless to say I will now run ALL the new engine before install in the planes.

That’s exactly the type of thing I’m worried about, I will bench run it first.
Old 09-14-2018, 01:48 PM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by g8dget

I’m sorry for your loss! But I also love how you can share it with us totally unbiased and even take the blame for the crash. Not many people can.

oh btw I vote F16! Mine’s on the way!
I learned a long time ago that if you don't acknowledge your mistakes you can't learn from them, and I really don't want to do this again...-Tom
Old 09-14-2018, 05:08 PM
T3chDad

Originally Posted by Dansy

Great point! I'll remember that.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:30 PM
T3chDad

Successful maiden day! I got four flights in. Stock throws and CG at 190mm. Being my first turbine, I had no idea what to expect and that was really scary. I didn't have enough expo on aileron without the Cortex and that aileron sensitivity freaked me out a little at first, but I was able to adjust somewhat. Two clicks of up trim on elevator and two clicks of right aileron was all that was needed. Cortex to the rescue! Flew around some and started checking flaps. I did one landing pass with a wave-off and landed find on my second approach. After that I got comfortable very quickly and it got less scary and much more fun. I adjusted my non-gyro aileron expo and flew it again without the gyro and it was perfect. I forgot my paperwork at home, so I'll have my waiver signed tomorrow! What a blast!

Old 09-15-2018, 06:38 PM
camss69

Originally Posted by T3chDad
Successful maiden day! I got four flights in. Stock throws and CG at 190mm. Being my first turbine, I had no idea what to expect and that was really scary. I didn't have enough expo on aileron without the Cortex and that aileron sensitivity freaked me out a little at first, but I was able to adjust somewhat. Two clicks of up trim on elevator and two clicks of right aileron was all that was needed. Cortex to the rescue! Flew around some and started checking flaps. I did one landing pass with a wave-off and landed find on my second approach. After that I got comfortable very quickly and it got less scary and much more fun. I adjusted my non-gyro aileron expo and flew it again without the gyro and it was perfect. I forgot my paperwork at home, so I'll have my waiver signed tomorrow! What a blast!

Awesome congrats!!
Old 09-15-2018, 08:46 PM
g8dget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Welcome to the dark side! 😉
Old 09-16-2018, 05:31 AM
airborn900
My Feedback: (25)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Engine size

Has anyone put anything bigger than an 85 in? Maybe a jet central rabbit or k100?
Old 09-16-2018, 10:31 AM
Dansy

Mine with a K85 I’m about 258 km without even trying......not sure how well the 100 would fit or if the pipe is good for that....
Old 09-16-2018, 11:43 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Congrats on the successful Maiden! That is also a really great looking facility.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:00 PM
T3chDad

Awesome congrats!!
Originally Posted by g8dget
Congrats! Welcome to the dark side! 😉
Originally Posted by Zeeb
Congrats on the successful Maiden! That is also a really great looking facility.
Thanks guys! I am president of Rocket City RC in Huntsville, AL. We are extremely fortunate to have such a nice facility. Lots of hard work by great people to keep it going!

I had so much information to absorb yesterday. Now that I've been able to let the experience sink in and pick apart the problems/mistakes I've got some tips.

1) General: If it's your first turbine and you're going to maiden it yourself, have a good turbine coach who's experienced that can talk to you during the maiden and give you tips/instructions. I flew it myself, he was really able to help it be a success. (Thanks Jeff!)
2) General: Have some experience turbine people look over your build and double check all of your work.
3) Mini: Check your brake adjustments. Even though the slot on the potentiometer was between the "+" and the "-", they were set to the strongest. As a result, I had some wacky behavior and now have some flat spots on my mains. Now that I've got them adjusted to the least power, I think they will work much better. (I'll update once I know for sure)
4) Mini: Triple-check the CG. Mine is at 190mm and it flies perfect.
5) Mini: Check binding on flaps once the wings are mounted. My left flap was binding on the wing root retracting from from full flaps. This was resolved by loosening the rear wing bolt and pulling the rear of the wing out by about .5mm and then re-tighten the wing bolt.
6) Mini: Stock throws are great..although I set my rudder to the maximum throw obtainable for nice knife edges.

I'll post more as I come up with them. Happy flying!
Old 09-16-2018, 05:52 PM
camss69

Thanks guys! I am president of Rocket City RC in Huntsville, AL. We are extremely fortunate to have such a nice facility. Lots of hard work by great people to keep it going!

I had so much information to absorb yesterday. Now that I've been able to let the experience sink in and pick apart the problems/mistakes I've got some tips.

1) General: If it's your first turbine and you're going to maiden it yourself, have a good turbine coach who's experienced that can talk to you during the maiden and give you tips/instructions. I flew it myself, he was really able to help it be a success. (Thanks Jeff!)
2) General: Have some experience turbine people look over your build and double check all of your work.
3) Mini: Check your brake adjustments. Even though the slot on the potentiometer was between the "+" and the "-", they were set to the strongest. As a result, I had some wacky behavior and now have some flat spots on my mains. Now that I've got them adjusted to the least power, I think they will work much better. (I'll update once I know for sure)
4) Mini: Triple-check the CG. Mine is at 190mm and it flies perfect.
5) Mini: Check binding on flaps once the wings are mounted. My left flap was binding on the wing root retracting from from full flaps. This was resolved by loosening the rear wing bolt and pulling the rear of the wing out by about .5mm and then re-tighten the wing bolt.
6) Mini: Stock throws are great..although I set my rudder to the maximum throw obtainable for nice knife edges.

I'll post more as I come up with them. Happy flying!
Great post! Were there any specific tips Jeff gave you that you can post?

So set my brakes to the weakest setting.

Do you know where your CG is relative to the wingtube?
Old 09-16-2018, 06:06 PM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

AJ told me he'd found a really nice club/facility to fly and I see he wasn't telling any tall tails. I see some good pictures of his Leonardo in the March 2018 albumn. It was too damn bad that thing was destroyed at Red Flag due to a really freak set of circumstances.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:13 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

T3chdad congrats on your maiden. Very happy you had success on your first turbine. This is very important and its what gets more jet fliers going.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:01 AM
T3chDad

Great post! Were there any specific tips Jeff gave you that you can post?
Sure! A bunch of it was radio setup.

• I had never used flight modes before. Now that I fully understand them, I should have been using them on everything all along.
  • Expo with gyro off/vs gyro on. I'm flying a cortex. In the end, I needed 40% on aileron with gyro off and 8% with it on. Elevators were 30% with it off and 8/% with it on. I don't use expo on rudder. I do use tons of expo on nose steering however so I'm not all over the place on take off.
  • Much of the in-flight coaching was what to expect and keep me on task for accomplishing the maiden goals (trim, gyro, flaps/flight modes, landing setup, etc.) I felt like I had so much to think about and remember that he just helped me keep things organized in my head.
  • Don't drop flaps until you've slowed WAY down. Coming from EDFs I was dropping my flaps when I was still going too fast.
  • Fly the throttle the entire flight. Again, coming from EDFs, I was leaving the throttle in one place too long. Use the throttle as you go through maneuvers to make it easier to be consistent and reliable. Throttle management! I fly my EDFs like they have a switch for throttle. I still haven't opened her up all the way yet...maybe 3/4. I probably see Tuesday.
  • Take time to get acquainted with throttle response. It's much slower than anything electric. Mainly you need to be aware of this on landings in case a go-around is required.
  • On landing, you should be able to put her at an angle of attack (good glide slope) and not have to do a bunch of elevator management. A good CG is crucial here.
I'll post more as I remember them.

So set my brakes to the weakest setting.
Yes. Just make sure you plenty of do taxi/ground testing! I'll admit I had gotten pretty impatient by this time.

Do you know where your CG is relative to the wingtube?
From front to back of the wing tube, I'm about 1/4 the tube's diameter from the front. I'll post pictures of my CG and internal placement when I can.

Originally Posted by Zeeb
AJ told me he'd found a really nice club/facility to fly and I see he wasn't telling any tall tails. I see some good pictures of his Leonardo in the March 2018 albumn. It was too damn bad that thing was destroyed at Red Flag due to a really freak set of circumstances.
We love having AJ. Thankfully we have really been able to rejuvenate the club in the last few years.

Originally Posted by gunradd
T3chdad congrats on your maiden. Very happy you had success on your first turbine. This is very important and its what gets more jet fliers going.
Thank you! I can't wait to fly her again. The guys kept telling me that it would ruin flying anything else (fixed wing). I didn't believe them. Now I'm like "what EDFs?"

Last edited by T3chDad; 09-17-2018 at 05:05 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:18 AM
camss69

Sure! A bunch of it was radio setup.

• I had never used flight modes before. Now that I fully understand them, I should have been using them on everything all along.
  • Expo with gyro off/vs gyro on. I'm flying a cortex. In the end, I needed 40% on aileron with gyro off and 8% with it on. Elevators were 30% with it off and 8/% with it on. I don't use expo on rudder. I do use tons of expo on nose steering however so I'm not all over the place on take off.
  • Much of the in-flight coaching was what to expect and keep me on task for accomplishing the maiden goals (trim, gyro, flaps/flight modes, landing setup, etc.) I felt like I had so much to think about and remember that he just helped me keep things organized in my head.
  • Don't drop flaps until you've slowed WAY down. Coming from EDFs I was dropping my flaps when I was still going too fast.
  • Fly the throttle the entire flight. Again, coming from EDFs, I was leaving the throttle in one place too long. Use the throttle as you go through maneuvers to make it easier to be consistent and reliable. Throttle management! I fly my EDFs like they have a switch for throttle. I still haven't opened her up all the way yet...maybe 3/4. I probably see Tuesday.
  • Take time to get acquainted with throttle response. It's much slower than anything electric. Mainly you need to be aware of this on landings in case a go-around is required.
  • On landing, you should be able to put her at an angle of attack (good glide slope) and not have to do a bunch of elevator management. A good CG is crucial here.
I'll post more as I remember them.

Yes. Just make sure you plenty of do taxi/ground testing! I'll admit I had gotten pretty impatient by this time.

From front to back of the wing tube, I'm about 1/4 the tube's diameter from the front. I'll post pictures of my CG and internal placement when I can.

We love having AJ. Thankfully we have really been able to rejuvenate the club in the last few years.

Thank you! I can't wait to fly her again. The guys kept telling me that it would ruin flying anything else (fixed wing). I didn't believe them. Now I'm like "what EDFs?"
Awesome thanks!

Can you share a little about how you have flight modes setup? The only person I have assisting me knows a lot about the turbine and flying the plane but not so much about the radio setup, in fact I’m setting up the radio on his other plane for him.

I’m using the Jeti Assist rx on mine, so I’m not sure how it’s similar to the Cortex. I didn’t realize I would need different expo settings for gyro on and gyro off..
Old 09-17-2018, 08:25 AM
T3chDad

Awesome thanks!

Can you share a little about how you have flight modes setup? The only person I have assisting me knows a lot about the turbine and flying the plane but not so much about the radio setup, in fact I’m setting up the radio on his other plane for him.

Flight modes: It was recommended that I have at least three flight modes
1) Normal Flight (Default)
2) Half Flaps
3) Full Flaps

The concept of flight modes is that you can have different flight profiles depending on a switch position or some condition/configuration. You fly around in normal and trim to taste...have fun. When you put your flaps down 1/2 you usually have to add some down elevator to that mix. With a flight mode, you just trim it out right there in the air and it remembers those additional trims for that condition. Put your flaps down all the way, you'll probably have some more trimming to do in the third flight mode that it will save and remember the trims for that flight mode. I used to actually add a mix in the radio when the flaps switch was down, I would add some down elevator on the appropriate channel. I'd have to fly, test, land, adjust, and repeat. Not with flight modes...just trim it in the air, and you're done.

Another way to look at it is you can have different/independent trim definitions for each flight mode or you can set them up to be base on another flight mode and add to/adjust those settings. For example, in normal mode, I had to add three clicks of up-elevator. My other two flight modes use that normal/default as a baseline and modify the trims based on that's flight mode's settings. This way, if you adjust your trims in normal flight mode, the trims in the other flight modes will be affected too.

I hope that helps!

I’m using the Jeti Assist rx on mine, so I’m not sure how it’s similar to the Cortex. I didn’t realize I would need different expo settings for gyro on and gyro off..
I can't speak to your system, but I was told that if you have too much expo with the Cortex that it will get really mushy in the controls and then you start to chase the over correction.

For those of you that are interested, below are my first three flights recorded with my Mobius hat cam. They're really quite boring as you can hardly see the aircraft, but I posted them so that you could hear the communication between me and Jeff (DigitalPilot). Third flight was my first "solo" without my labor coach.

Maiden:

Second Flight:

Third Flight (Solo):

Last edited by T3chDad; 09-17-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:54 AM
Tip22v

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Congrats on the maiden, and your field is amazing!- Tom
Old 09-17-2018, 11:31 AM
camss69

Agreed, your field is killer, and thanks for the info and posting the vids!
Old 09-17-2018, 04:05 PM
T3chDad

I'll just leave this here... The wife helped me with the design. Done in cut vinyl.

Old 09-17-2018, 04:11 PM
Dansy

I'll just leave this here... The wife helped me with the design. Done in cut vinyl.

Nice add on.....
Old 09-17-2018, 08:39 PM
camss69

I’m sure this is a really dumb question but how do I install the FOD screen on my KingTech. I have the screen and I have this large O-ring but the screen just slips right off and the o-ring maybe slides I’ve the starter motor or something? I tried googling it..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.