Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jeti assist reciever

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jeti assist reciever

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 09:55 AM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The Trouble is : if you use flightmodes sayTakeoff/ Flight/ Landing.
and you would use crow and a elevator offset and for crow ailerons up.
say in flight you use 5% down elevator , and in landing 40% down elevator with full flaps and raised ailerons.
you can not use the assist.
the assist sees this as a Stick input.
maybe someone has a different experience?
Old 02-27-2018, 01:19 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by digitech
say in flight you use 5% down elevator , and in landing 40% down elevator with full flaps and raised ailerons.
Nope thats what I see/experience, but I fixed all these thing that the assist does in my jets....
Old 02-27-2018, 01:25 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to have to experiment with this myself as I'm hearing conflicting info. While I'm sure 40% Elevator trim may well cause problems as that is a large value, none of my jets require more than say 10% down elevator with full flaps. One of my friends has such a setup with similar values to what I expect and he says he has no problems when changing flight modes (cruise to full flaps, etc). It may also have to do with heading vs Normal / Damping mode and in fact the Assist manual says that changes in trim aren't allowed heading mode but are not a problem in Normal / Damping mode which is all I'll be using. Wouldn't be the first time a manual is incorrect though so I'll have to test it out properly to see if my setup will work or not..

Last edited by wfield0455; 02-27-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:00 PM
digitech

Originally Posted by wfield0455
I'm going to have to experiment with this myself as I'm hearing conflicting info. While I'm sure 40% Elevator trim may well cause problems as that is a large value, none of my jets require more than say 10% down elevator with full flaps. One of my friends has such a setup with similar values to what I expect and he says he has no problems when changing flight modes (cruise to full flaps, etc). It may also have to do with heading vs Normal / Damping mode and in fact the Assist manual says that changes in trim aren't allowed heading mode but are not a problem in Normal / Damping mode which is all I'll be using. Wouldn't be the first time a manual is incorrect though so I'll have to test it out properly to see if my setup will work or not..
maybe i overdid it with the percentages ;-)
example ultra flash

needs in flight with the correct CG about 1mm down elevator , in landing however with crow (full flaps ailerons about 5mm up elevator needs about 19mm down) to fly neutral and land.
this is a situation the assist can NOT cope with as far i can see.
making the Assist not suitable for it , therefor all my jets need these offsets.
whatever you change in the offsets in flightmodes the Assist sees this as a Stick input.
Just saying if a Demon can do this perfectly , why shouldnt a assist cant do this?
Didier mentioned to have the assist learn these offsets also so that the assist could learn the unputs in flightmodes.
this is however almost impossible , if the sticks would have encoders it would be easy , but they have hall sensors.
with the Demon its pretty easy you do a flight , trim the plane in flight mode . land Relearn the stick and trim positions and you are done.
no matter in wich flightmode i am in , it stabilises the whole time.
for now the assist is not really suitable for Jets is my opinion at this moment.
i am sure the guys at Jeti will come up with something .
there should be a Jet setting or something that would be always stabilizing no matter the stick inputs
Old 02-27-2018, 11:50 PM
philjac94

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get rid of Heading hold and Horizon. Assign Normal/Dampening to only 1 of these positions.
My setup is:
Position 1, No Gyro.
Position 2, Gyro Active - Normal/Dampening.
Position 3, No Gyro

F16 CB200 Rsat and 10ch Assist is performing perfectly. I' not interested in Heading or Horizon Mode in a Jet.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:00 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Digitech - my Demon sees trim like the Assist does and the Demon reduces the gain due to stick priority. It's the same for iGyro, ACT Fuzzy Pro, Eagle Tree Guardian, Aura 8 etc etc. Any gyro sees trim as an input because no gyro can tell the difference between a stick or a trim causing the data signal to change. If your Demon and your Assist behave differently it is because you have given them different stick priorities. So in that respect there is no problem using Assist in jet models. Assist treats trims like every other gyro. The Aura 8 overcomes the problem by using a separate channel to signal trim changes which the Aura then activates, otherwise even the Aura reads transmitter trims just like the Assist does.

Last edited by HarryC; 02-28-2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:19 AM
digitech

Originally Posted by philjac94
Get rid of Heading hold and Horizon. Assign Normal/Dampening to only 1 of these positions.
My setup is:
Position 1, No Gyro.
Position 2, Gyro Active - Normal/Dampening.
Position 3, No Gyro

F16 CB200 Rsat and 10ch Assist is performing perfectly. I' not interested in Heading or Horizon Mode in a Jet.

me neather , however i want stabilization in all 3 modes ... this is the way it should work.
i dont use heading lock eather
Old 02-28-2018, 02:21 AM
Didier

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

Of course everyone has there own way to set-up an airplane.
What is confusing is that Jeti talks about 3 flight modes for the assist.
We use the word "flight mode" or "condition mode" as an airplane set-up in the TX.
Maybe it is better we call the flight mode's for the assist RX "assist mode" and flight modes for the TX "flight modes".
What I want to use is the following:

I use 3 flight modes with digital trims on "separate".
-take-off FLIGHT MODE: different dual rates, expo's, flap 10 degree's, elevator compensation
-cruise FLIGHT MODE: different dual rates, expo's, flaps up
-landing FLIGHT MODE: different dual rates, expo's, flaps 45 degrees's, elevator compensation, CROW

I have coupled the 3 flight modes to 3 assist modes with the same 3 position switch.
-Take-off flight mode coupled to Assist mode 1 (damping)
-Cruise flight mode coupled to Assist mode 2 (also damping)
-Landing flight mode coupled to Assist mode 3 (also damping)

I have set-up a 2 way switch to switch on/off the gyro.

The problem is that you ONLY can calibrate the sticks in ONE ASSIST MODE.
So if I calibrate the sticks in landing mode, everything works as it should be, but will affect the other assist modes.
If I calibrate the sticks in other modes, the other modes works correctly as well but again will affect the landing mode.

I'm in the middle of a conversation with Jeti and they acknowledge my problem. This is what they reported back:
Stabilization always calculates the input setting if you change this input mix, so it will always have the effect of suppressing the lever (exactly as you described below). These mixes can be used only if the stabilizer is off.

So you have two options:
1. In the mix, remove the elevator.
2. In the receiver, disable stabilization of the elevator for this mix.

I have suggested Jeti to change SW so you can calibrate sticks in every "assist modes".
To be continued.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:23 AM
HarryC

me neather , however i want stabilization in all 3 modes ... this is the way it should work.
i dont use heading lock eather
Then just set all 3 modes to dampening mode. I would not, you should always have an OFF mode in case of problems, gyro breaks loose etc.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:35 AM
HarryC

Hold on! My Assist works properly with crow braking!! I have aileron 1 and aileron 2. Stick priority is 125% because I like gyro gain to zero as soon as possible when I move the sticks. Confirmed that if I move aileron stick to about 3/4 travel the gyro has no effect. Butterfly menu set to 100% so that it drives both ailerons well beyond the aileron stick priority limit. But operating the crow stick has no effect on the gyro, it is still stabilising both servos!!!!!! Assist is clever enough to know from the directions of the servo signals to 2 ailerons whether they are being operated as ailerons or being operated as crow/elevons etc.

My Assist stabilises aileron with full crow applied. Therefore if yours does not it is not a fault in the Assist....
Old 02-28-2018, 03:26 AM
digitech

Originally Posted by HarryC
Hold on! My Assist works properly with crow braking!! I have aileron 1 and aileron 2. Stick priority is 125% because I like gyro gain to zero as soon as possible when I move the sticks. Confirmed that if I move aileron stick to about 3/4 travel the gyro has no effect. Butterfly menu set to 100% so that it drives both ailerons well beyond the aileron stick priority limit. But operating the crow stick has no effect on the gyro, it is still stabilising both servos!!!!!! Assist is clever enough to know from the directions of the servo signals to 2 ailerons whether they are being operated as ailerons or being operated as crow/elevons etc.

My Assist stabilises aileron with full crow applied. Therefore if yours does not it is not a fault in the Assist....

understood , but do you have down elevator when you set your crow??
the zero point moves if we set gyro on or off..
Old 02-28-2018, 03:39 AM
HarryC

understood , but do you have down elevator when you set your crow??
the zero point moves if we set gyro on or off..
That's nothing to do with crow. That is a trim problem and will occur with any change of trim value such as flight mode trim, mix flap to elevator trim etc.

I do experience the problem of neutral shifting when Assist is switched on or off if the trim is not centred.

Last edited by HarryC; 02-28-2018 at 03:42 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:40 AM
digitech

That's nothing to do with crow. That is a trim problem and will occur with any change of trim value such as flight mode trim, mix flap to elevator trim etc.

like i said i need a lot of down elevator in crow to land , so it has a lot to do for me...
Old 02-28-2018, 03:45 AM
HarryC

like i said i need a lot of down elevator in crow to land , so it has a lot to do for me...
yes but its a problem of how it handles trims, not a problem of how it handles crow.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:17 AM
Didier

yes but its a problem of how it handles trims, not a problem of how it handles crow.
BINGO!! That's the discussion Harry! ;-)
Old 02-28-2018, 04:22 AM
Didier

I do experience the problem of neutral shifting when Assist is switched on or off if the trim is not centred.
So in the end you experience the same as we do.
My Jet is not flyable with crow and NO elevator compensation.
Hopefully Jeti will sort this out with SW change
Old 05-11-2018, 08:12 AM
zx6rg2

Hi all I am setting up a assist the same and having the same problems does anyone know if jeti has sorted it and can you just set a two way switch so it’s gyr on or off it’s a bit scary putting a 6k in the air and not knowing if it’s going to be ok
Old 05-11-2018, 11:18 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

I set one up on my foamy Avanti. No issues. Have hold turned off and have a switch to adjust gain and turn off the assist. I followed the Esprit videos to set it up with a little help from instructions.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:15 PM
jthomas235
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zx6rg2
Hi all I am setting up a assist the same and having the same problems does anyone know if jeti has sorted it and can you just set a two way switch so it’s gyr on or off it’s a bit scary putting a 6k in the air and not knowing if it’s going to be ok
I have four aircraft now using assist and have set them all up similar to the way James at Esprit outlines in his YouTube video. Using a 3 position switch for off, normal and heading hold modes and I use the right slider for fine tuning gain.

I also use a voice command to alert “gyro on/ gyro off”.

Bench testing is highly recommended prior to flight. Ensure none of the control surfaces move when switching between modes. Check that the control surfaces apply correct input by moving aircraft in pitch, yaw and roll. Do this several times just to make sure.

On a new model, I always take off with gyro off and only activate a few mistakes high. So far the default settings have always given good results.

John

Old 05-11-2018, 12:38 PM
zx6rg2

Hi thanx for all your info has any one done flight modes so eg flaps take off elevator 2mm down and second flight mode flaps landing and elevator 5mm down as when I do this the elevator goes to full travel down if I switch to head hold you think jeti would have sorted it more or less like the cortex as they work fine in all trim changes
Old 05-11-2018, 01:17 PM
jthomas235

Originally Posted by zx6rg2
Hi thanx for all your info has any one done flight modes so eg flaps take off elevator 2mm down and second flight mode flaps landing and elevator 5mm down as when I do this the elevator goes to full travel down if I switch to head hold you think jeti would have sorted it more or less like the cortex as they work fine in all trim changes
Having used three of the most popular flight controllers, I have had issues when using crow or with flap to elevator compensation. For now, I have stopped using crow and found flap to elevator mix unnecessary if I delay the speed of deployment. 8-10 seconds seems to work just fine with my F4 Phantom and A10.

Still so so much to learn here with flight controllers for me. But much easier than the many years I spent tweaking heli flybarless controllers.

John
Old 06-07-2018, 04:44 AM
c_makhija

Any update on the trim issue? Just setting up my ultra flash. Will it work fine with elevator compensation in dampening mode. Won’t be using heading mode.

Thanks
Chatty.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:26 AM
Ceeray

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I tried setting up this with cb200+rex6assist and mspeed sensor connected to cb200. But I was not able to use airspeed compensation as its missing in menu. 1.07 software used. Anyone has ideas or newer 1.08 software to send as 1.09 has airspeed compensation removed due copyright issues.

And to clarify:
Should I run it like CB200-REX6A-RSAT at rx1 port and leave RX2 port empty or , CB200-REX6A on rx1 and Rsat2 at rx2?

Last edited by Ceeray; 09-12-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:56 PM
JimDrew
My Feedback: (16)

Originally Posted by wfield0455
Well I found another thing the Assist won't do and that is stabilize UDI output. Since they have a separate"Stabilze EX Bus" control for the Central Box I'm not surprised but I had hoped it would. Hopefully at some point Jeti will update the firmware to stabilize either UDI or EX Bus output so that it can be used for power expanders like Power Boxes or my XPS24 instead of just the Central Box.
Just a quick update to this thread. The X24 does support ExBus with v3.0 firmware.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:38 PM
kevin

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Would like to hear more from those that are using an assist receiver in your jets (especially after reading some of the above). How has it been working for you? What is your complete setup? thanks...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.