Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Relationship between gyro and exponentials

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Relationship between gyro and exponentials

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 10:38 AM
Jannica

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Relationship between gyro and exponentials

What is the relationship between using gyro and using exponential in a model? Shall you avoid using exponential when you are using a gyro or doesn’t it matter? Shall you use less exponential or less deflection instead? In the manuals for the gyros I use, Jeti Assist and Powerbox, there is no mentioning of how to manage exponential. Hope you understand my question.

Jannica
Sweden
Old 05-09-2019, 10:47 AM
Digital Pilot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Normally expo on a gyro will make the aircraft very mushy and slow responding. on your gyro ON/OFF switch id program normal expo on the gyro off position, then with gyro on drop expo down to about 5%. The gyro will normally do all the work depending on the brand. Throws will stay the same..

This is what i do and it works well...
Old 05-09-2019, 10:57 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

It depends on the gyro. A demon will normally need less to much less expo for example.

If you're adding a gyro to an installation that is working I would probably take half the expo away and see how it feels.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:42 PM
gapellegrini

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Before gyros I used 40-50% expo now I fly with 15-25%.
Old 05-09-2019, 12:57 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Always depends on airframe, but as a rule with a Powerbox gyro drop the expo by 25%. So if it was 40% make it 30%

Old 05-09-2019, 01:35 PM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with others, while I use expo I’m cautious with it. Most of the time I will reduce throw on the surface before adjusting expo. That being said My only gyro experience is with the cortez, I usually go for 50% less on the gyro.
IE if I normally use 30% expo, I’ll reduce it to 15% with the gyro on.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:11 PM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

With the latest Assist firmware I find that I need to decrease the expo by about 5% (not to 5%) and I usually increase the rate by about 5%. This give me a plane that flies very close to the same with the gyro on or off. With the Assist (with latest firmware) I'd simply start with the rates and expo that the plane flew well with before the Assist was installed, assuming you are adding the Assist to an existing airplane that was well setup previously. It will probably feel a little dead when the Assist is enabled but it shouldn't be terrible. Then simply make some tweaks based on how it felt in flight.

NOTE: This is for the latest firmware ONLY as the original firmware required a big decrease in expo and a significant increase in rates to fly the same with Assist enabled vs Assist off but the latest firmware doesn't. Following the upgrade I would start with Assist off settings for rate/expo and get rid of the old Assist rates/expo as the plane may fell VERY sensitive following the upgrade.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:48 PM
Jannica

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks a lot to all of you. You have been very helpful. I´m going to set up two old models and one new model with gyros. The first old one is a Philip Avonds F-15 that is very stable as it is and now it´s going to be equipped with a Jeti Assist receiver, V 1.10. The second old kite is an Xcalibur Plus which will be equipped with a Powerbox Mercury, also very stable as it is. The new one is a Ziroli Turbinator which is also going to be equipped with a Powerbox Mercury. I´ll take advantage of your advice in the process.

Jannica
Sweden

Last edited by Jannica; 05-09-2019 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 03:27 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

For the PowerBox start around half of the expo you'd normally use, adjust to your taste.