Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Swiwin Turbines

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Swiwin Turbines

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 09:27 PM
CRX Turbines

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The ECU wants to see over 10 volts. A lot of people ask about LiFe batteries and a 3 cell life will not cut it. You will get some test functions but the turbine will indicate "offline". If you can find a 4 cell LiFe battery this will work but all in all the simplest thing to do is use a 3 cell LIPO.

Originally Posted by E.N.T.
Has anyone used other type of battery than the 11.1volts lipo?
thanks;

hmarmaizmd717
Old 02-28-2020, 05:56 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks.
Hector
Old 03-01-2020, 09:47 AM
luckyshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by E.N.T.
Has anyone used other type of battery than the 11.1volts lipo?
thanks;

hmarmaizmd717
YES the SWIWIN engines will run on a 3cell 9.9 volt Life battery. As well as a 3cell lipo 11.1 v
However SWIWIN recommends to use a 3cell lipo 11.1v.

Badboyzrc.com ...... Flying what we sell

Old 03-01-2020, 11:26 AM
CRX Turbines

We did some investigation here. Please see pics below.

Starting with the other screen you will see the version of the TCU, ECU and GSU. These are the latest.
Next, we tried bringing the motor up on 9.9 volts and this did not work, however, we lowered the voltage setting in the low voltage option on the running menu to lower than 10 volts, reset the controller and the turbine came up in "ready" mode.

There is a little bit of a grey zone here because Swiwin has always recommended a 3 cell Lipo. CRX worked closely with Swiwin engineers to produce both brushed and brushless manuals. At the time, we worked off information we were given. Based on discovery today, the unit can be run on 3 cell LiFe.

I made some statements about using energy from a car battery and connection to a car cigarette lighter output. These statements remain true. This is great engineering on the part of Swiwin to offer such robust protection against variable voltage sources but using a 4 cell LiFe might introduce some overload issues to other circuits in the aircraft so lets forget about 4 cell LiFe for now.

After we conduct some extended tests, I will update our documentation.

Old 03-01-2020, 01:51 PM
luckyshot

SWIWIN engines have always ran on 9.9 v. You just need to learn how to adjust the peramiters in the ECU. Regardless of the ECU version. Just my experance from flying SWIWIN for a few years. And my Tech over 7 years.

-Roman - Badboyzrc
Old 03-01-2020, 04:38 PM
CRX Turbines

Hey Roman...

You know the only thing worse to me than someone that does not bother to spell check their post is someone that boasts about how long they have been doing something; worse how long someone else is doing it. I have always found that if I find myself in a position of needing to substantiate how long I am doing something, that I am doing something wrong. Simple life lesson. Do you want a formal thank you for bringing something to light. Hey buddy thank you .. because I did not realize this. We worked with the engineers and we developed a manual because there wasn't one. Ever shop in Harbor Freight? Who doesn't want for a concise manual to make sense of our toys.

I stated a few points.
  • Swiwin has always stated that 3 cell Lipo is used. I asked and this is what we were told
  • I was also told no Life Battery
  • We wrote the current manual based on input from the experts in china
So there you have it.. You have made your point but I had already admitted that we were incorrect.

Andy

Originally Posted by luckyshot
SWIWIN engines have always ran on 9.9 v. You just need to learn how to adjust the peramiters in the ECU. Regardless of the ECU version. Just my experance from flying SWIWIN for a few years. And my Tech over 7 years.

-Roman - Badboyzrc
Old 03-01-2020, 05:20 PM
luckyshot

Boasting?? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

I dont boast about working for NASA.
U always talk about how long you have ben working " WITH" SWIWIN
I dont claim to work closely with the manufacture designing and troubleshooting for them. Or designing there manuals. When in fact you are " ONLY" a Distributor like us.
I know I was at the factory working side by side with there engineers. And I Asked ( oh crap I'm boasting again)

For someone who works so closely with the factory you should have a better grip on how these engine function.

Andy. You said no to anything lower then 10v. I said yes..then you claimed to do all this extensive testing for this issue.

How about you stop claiming to be the best and know it all.

Andy as always... I did not start off my posts adressing or attacking you.

But here you go again.....
Look back at my posts....
Look back at your posts...

Who Deletes many, many posts?
why do you delete so much?
Were you boasting?
Or spell checking?

please spell check post for me...Thx

Old 03-01-2020, 06:12 PM
CRX Turbines

Roman,

This started over you golng to china and trying to present yourself as the only viable option to Swiwin. I had no concerns until I got a call from a large client who was considering pulling the plug on CRX. They didn't care what was said; their concern was whether CRX would be here in a year, then another call and an email then more.. I am not making this up. I challenged you based on some very real business concerns. I have worked as in instructor and in marketing and I always need to reevaluate what I am doing or saying to make sure I am not missing my mark. I did absolutely delete some posts over time and in the past few weeks.

I suggest we communicate with each other offline and we can discuss these points. I was quite alarmed to realize that I had published incorrect information that you shed light on.

Andy

Boasting?? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

I dont boast about working for NASA.
U always talk about how long you have ben working " WITH" SWIWIN
I dont claim to work closely with the manufacture designing and troubleshooting for them. Or designing there manuals. When in fact you are " ONLY" a Distributor like us.
I know I was at the factory working side by side with there engineers. And I Asked ( oh crap I'm boasting again)

For someone who works so closely with the factory you should have a better grip on how these engine function.

Andy. You said no to anything lower then 10v. I said yes..then you claimed to do all this extensive testing for this issue.

How about you stop claiming to be the best and know it all.

Andy as always... I did not start off my posts adressing or attacking you.

But here you go again.....
Look back at my posts....
Look back at your posts...

Who Deletes many, many posts?
why do you delete so much?
Were you boasting?
Or spell checking?

please spell check post for me...Thx

Last edited by CRX Turbines; 03-01-2020 at 06:14 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:44 PM
luckyshot

I have worked as in instructor and in marketing.

Is this BOASTING??
Old 03-02-2020, 03:53 AM
bodywerks
My Feedback: (4)

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

YES the SWIWIN engines will run on a 3cell 9.9 volt Life battery. As well as a 3cell lipo 11.1 v
However SWIWIN recommends to use a 3cell lipo 11.1v.

Badboyzrc.com ...... Flying what we sell
This is interesting info. I look forward to some long-term feedback on running batteries that I feel more comfortable charging in the aircraft! For now, I'll stick with lipo, but i have a couple projects coming up that I haven't bought equipment for yet...
Old 03-02-2020, 04:19 AM
luckyshot

Good idea. It is always best to stick to Manafacture recommendation . I was simply answering the guys question of can you use other batterys.

And again everyone. Please stick to manafacture recommendation.

we do not reccomend altering the engine or the way it is designed in any way.

Old 03-02-2020, 04:29 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

I got an idea. How about you guys sit down in PM's or have a phone call, work out your differences, and quit snip'n at each other in this thread.

I'm trying to avoid getting into administrative actions for everyone involved.

Thanks
The following 2 users liked this post by BarracudaHockey:
bodywerks (03-02-2020), cbk07 (03-02-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 05:28 AM
CRX Turbines

I think there has been a lot learned in a day. Please note that the current default low voltage is 10 volts for Swiwin. This is in line with 3S lipo and where a 3S Lipo begins to decline sharply. If 8 volts is the magic number for 3S Life batteries then this would be where to set the low voltage setting for 3S Life batteries. I mentioned a 4S Life which is ok but it might cause issues with other guidance systems. We sell to a lot of entities, not just hobby and they all frequent this page so we have to make sure this works across the board. If anyone has any constructive comments for the manual, we will be making more changes. All feedback is welcome.

One thing is for sure that Swiwin circuitry is well designed and can obviously handle whatever you throw at it.

Andy
Owner CRX Turbines

Last edited by CRX Turbines; 03-02-2020 at 05:49 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:24 AM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
I got an idea. How about you guys sit down in PM's or have a phone call, work out your differences, and quit snip'n at each other in this thread.

I'm trying to avoid getting into administrative actions for everyone involved.

Thanks
seriously...
The following users liked this post:
bodywerks (03-02-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 06:45 PM
CRX Turbines

To All-

I spent a good deal of time going back and forth with Swiwin last night and they wrote to me a short while ago to clarify some points here. Since I began this offshoot, I wanted to clarify some of the things that are important here as users here rely on us to provide accurate information.

According to Swiwin engineers, the V3 ECU can be connected to anything from a 2S - 5S Lipo but they maintain that a 10 volt minimum should not be deviated from and that a 3S LIPO is what they support right now.

The discussion yesterday shed light on some good engineering questions so from an electrical standpoint, we can see that the Swiwin ECU is an extremely robust and versatile control device and can input a wide range of voltages without destruction but since the manufacturer has clarified that only 10 volt minimum and 3S Lipo is supported, this needs to be considered in your builds. I believe they are testing life batteries now so we expect some updates and/or software changes in the future.

Thank you.

Andy Fioretti

Last edited by CRX Turbines; 03-02-2020 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:59 PM
Lerch32

👍
👍
Old 03-06-2020, 06:21 AM
gotofly6010

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello..

I will only recommand swiwin turbine user to use a 3S lipo battery ONLY, some case you can use 3S life, but will some issue that you don't know.
in swiwin turbine factory, factory use only 12V DC to test turbine , we don't test it at 9.9V ,meanwhile,lower voltage
will increase bigger current,in many case before,use 3S life may burn ECU or TCU...because current overload.
V3 ECU can plug a 3-4S lipo battery, but all old TCU can only use 3S lipo,in last year,we upgrade SW120B-SW300B TCU,that can use 3S-4S lipo,
but I will still recommand you use 3S lipo only, because all factory default parameters only suitable for 3S lipo, in manual only recommand you
use a 3S lipo.
If you need more details, you can ask Andy, I update Andy all newest info from factory all the time..

Regards
Thomas

The following 3 users liked this post by gotofly6010:
Canadian Man (02-04-2021), CRX Turbines (03-06-2020), Rick75 (03-06-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 04:37 AM
CRX Turbines

Just to clarify that I was given 5S lipo as the upper voltage limit when I recently inquired about this so my apologies for any discrepancy in my post above. The point is altogether moot though because Swiwin only endorses the use of 3S Lipo at this time. I was also told that the 3S Life presents an issue for the starter motor to reach recommended rpm levels on some of the engines.

Andy

Originally Posted by gotofly6010
Hello..

I will only recommand swiwin turbine user to use a 3S lipo battery ONLY, some case you can use 3S life, but will some issue that you don't know.
in swiwin turbine factory, factory use only 12V DC to test turbine , we don't test it at 9.9V ,meanwhile,lower voltage
will increase bigger current,in many case before,use 3S life may burn ECU or TCU...because current overload.
V3 ECU can plug a 3-4S lipo battery, but all old TCU can only use 3S lipo,in last year,we upgrade SW120B-SW300B TCU,that can use 3S-4S lipo,
but I will still recommand you use 3S lipo only, because all factory default parameters only suitable for 3S lipo, in manual only recommand you
use a 3S lipo.
If you need more details, you can ask Andy, I update Andy all newest info from factory all the time..

Regards
Thomas
Old 03-11-2020, 04:48 AM
oukenfold

Default Spektrum telemetry

Hello , interested in this post, but I have a mercury srs receiver working with spektrum can someone here can help me how to get swiwin telemetry to my ix12 radio? I have make my self the cable and I read spektrum radios support swiwin turbines but how get the info from a powerbox mercury
Old 03-11-2020, 08:20 AM
Ceeray

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Any chances getting fuel usage via telemetry for these turbines? I have Jeti radio and I am used to Xicoy telemetry which has an option to set up fuel amount and correction values for pump. You can get it working very accurately and it gives you low fuel warnings when set up correctly.

I have to reconnect the ecu power from time to time to get the telemetry working. Maybe some powerup issue with ecu?
Old 03-11-2020, 08:46 AM
T_CAT

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

A bit off tangent here, and I apologize, but being new to turbines, what percentage of fuel are you all using as your alarm for "Low Fuel" as a safe margin?
Old 03-11-2020, 09:06 AM
Ceeray

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

30% bingo alarm and 15% land-now alarm. Gives 2 go arounds still until flame out...
of course depends on turbine and tank size.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:46 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceeray
Any chances getting fuel usage via telemetry for these turbines? I have Jeti radio and I am used to Xicoy telemetry which has an option to set up fuel amount and correction values for pump. You can get it working very accurately and it gives you low fuel warnings when set up correctly.

I have to reconnect the ecu power from time to time to get the telemetry working. Maybe some powerup issue with ecu?
I use a MUI 30 between the pump and ECU.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:58 AM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by T_CAT
A bit off tangent here, and I apologize, but being new to turbines, what percentage of fuel are you all using as your alarm for "Low Fuel" as a safe margin?
At first I got carried away with this and had a 50%, a "Gear Pass", a "Land Now" and a "LAND NOW!!" alarms. Now I mostly just use 50% and 30%. One or two may have lower alarms but I always land before they activate. I have landed with less than 10% but it was a place where a flame-out would not have been a problem. With the Jeti I just tilt the radio and it reports fuel capacity.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:31 PM
T_CAT

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceeray
30% bingo alarm and 15% land-now alarm. Gives 2 go arounds still until flame out...
of course depends on turbine and tank size.
Originally Posted by causeitflies
At first I got carried away with this and had a 50%, a "Gear Pass", a "Land Now" and a "LAND NOW!!" alarms. Now I mostly just use 50% and 30%. One or two may have lower alarms but I always land before they activate. I have landed with less than 10% but it was a place where a flame-out would not have been a problem. With the Jeti I just tilt the radio and it reports fuel capacity.
Thank you both! I had mine for 30% so I'm glad I was in the general territory that you have. I use Jeti as well, so I'll look into the same reporting of fuel via the accelerometers detecting tilt of the radio. That's a good idea and I don't have to use up a physical switch for it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.