Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Reaction 54 Jet Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 08:20 PM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Reaction 54 Jet Kit

ORIGINAL: BalsaBob

Finishing up my R54 and have 2 (more) questions ..........

As far as the forward facing clunk in the fuel tank....... is this setup suseptable to picking up air in climbs when the tank is less than 1/2 full ? It seems like the clunk would be out of the fuel ? ...... or will the UAT take care of any air that is picked up. I know this is a very well designed kit ..... I probably just need some mental assurance ...... since I have never before set up a tank this way.

As far as the antenna ..... if I use the standard reciever antenna (and mount it inside the fuse) it will run past the ECU (probably within a few inches of it). Would a Revolution base-loaded antenna (mounted inside) in the nose area be a better option ?

Thanks again. Bob
Answers to BOTH of these are in this thread with pictures from me. I changed to a rear facing clunk after 2 flameouts with a forward facing clunk. Be aware that I use a Jet Tech 74oz tank and NOT Bruce's standard Dubro 50oz tank. I use the revolution whip and never had a failsafe count.....yet. Look around May, June, July of last year.

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-06-2006, 08:41 PM
BalsaBob
My Feedback: (24)

Thanks Dave, Tommy, for the responses. (I found the posts on the tank setup ... but not the antenna). I also have the Jet Tech tank. As far as the 'whip' antenna ...... are you guys are using the Revolution base loaded one (about 8 inches long) ?, or one of the long external whips/wires that is the length of the standard antenna wire ? Thanks. Bob
Old 02-06-2006, 08:56 PM
rcguy!

I use the short whip. Ground range increased by at least 5 fold. Look back around April/May for my whip install. I'm on dialup right now or I would find it for you....

Use the rear facing clunk.

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-07-2006, 12:51 AM
rcguy!

Found my post about the Revolution whip antenna install.

Page 16 post #397

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_24...16/key_/tm.htm

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-07-2006, 01:06 AM
TommyWatson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

G'Day Bob,

I use a long wire whip, with the same length cut off the original antenna wire. I agree with Dave, The TX antenna down range increased more than I expected.
You can just see the yellow wire poking up from the nose.

I use the Gary muller tank also. I had mine made fitted with the BVM fittings. makes a bulletproof setup.

Regards

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55216.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	403514  
Old 02-07-2006, 01:46 AM
rcguy!

Hey Tommy!

That good looking balsa airplane sure makes the picture!

Hope all is well!

The Feds letting you guys fly turbines yet?

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-07-2006, 01:53 AM
TommyWatson

G'Day Dave,

Yes things are great here. The weather has been a little cooler so we can fly. Most of my flying has been on the buddy box with the bloke who purchased my first R54. He loves it.

I am just getting ready for my annual trip to Hong Kong. We leave on friday morning. Lots of goodies to buy, not much modeling stuff, just computer bits, pirate software and copy watches!!!.

Talking about the R44 gold, I wish I had held out for a few months, Oh well, Perhaps for the little Reaction. I have got the plans reduced (82%) and just need to start cutting balsa.

How is you little baby coming along?.

Regards

Old 02-07-2006, 02:04 AM
rcguy!

Tommy,
Ordered parts beginning to arrive. Will make some good progress in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

Do all Aussies have "Bloke" for a first name? :-)) If so, what are the girls called? ;-))

Glad you're flying again! Contributing to the kerosene shortage?

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-07-2006, 02:23 AM
TommyWatson

Dave,

Well a bloke is what you would call a "Guy". You know "it's a BLOKE thing". There are just blokes and then there are good blokes. If someone says you are a good bloke then you are OK.
You sound like a good bloke to me.

The girls, well we call them all sorts of things, some not to their face!!.

I guess the female equivilent of a bloke is a "Sheila".
The new better educated Australian women probably would not like to be called a Sheila, but a bloke would always like a good Sheila.

Have a look at this web site, especially if you intend to come to australia, or you wont be able to communicate.

http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

Old 02-07-2006, 02:58 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: TommyWatson

Dave,

Well a bloke is what you would call a "Guy". You know "it's a BLOKE thing". There are just blokes and then there are good blokes. If someone says you are a good bloke then you are OK.
You sound like a good bloke to me.

The girls, well we call them all sorts of things, some not to their face!!.

I guess the female equivilent of a bloke is a "Sheila".
The new better educated Australian women probably would not like to be called a Sheila, but a bloke would always like a good Sheila.

Have a look at this web site, especially if you intend to come to australia, or you wont be able to communicate.

http://www.koalanet.com.au/australian-slang.html

Good bloke Tommy,
LOL!
I do know a biscuit is a cookie and the water spins the other way when you flush!

I'm working on a trip on business...ya never know if a yankee bloke will be knocking your door.

Dave Rigotti

Old 02-07-2006, 03:24 AM
TommyWatson

Dave,

Make sure you have at least one day of the weekend here, and I will take you to the best flying field in the southern hemiphere. You can fly my supersport R54.

Regards

Old 02-07-2006, 03:48 AM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: TommyWatson

Dave,

Make sure you have at least one day of the weekend here, and I will take you to the best flying field in the southern hemiphere. You can fly my supersport R54.

Regards

Tommy,
When I make it "down under" we'll have more than a weekend to fly! Looking forward to flying the R54 with a Super Sport! "Oh yeah!"

I'll buy the shrimp!

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-07-2006, 03:23 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Hey Guys,
Got a programming question. I'm using a Futaba 8UAPS and I've got the flaps on a three way switch but still adjustable on the ch7 knob. The max throw I can get with just the switch is abou 45 degrees. In order to get the full throw of about 60 degrees I have to use the knob after throwing the switch. I'd really prefer to be able to get the full flaps with just the switch without having to mess with the knob. Just wondering if anyone is using this radio or even the 9CAP with just a switch and able to get full deflection and if so , how they did it. Thanks

Marty
Old 02-07-2006, 04:28 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: afterburner

Hey Guys,
Got a programming question. I'm using a Futaba 8UAPS and I've got the flaps on a three way switch but still adjustable on the ch7 knob. The max throw I can get with just the switch is abou 45 degrees. In order to get the full throw of about 60 degrees I have to use the knob after throwing the switch. I'd really prefer to be able to get the full flaps with just the switch without having to mess with the knob. Just wondering if anyone is using this radio or even the 9CAP with just a switch and able to get full deflection and if so , how they did it. Thanks

Marty
Marty,
I use the 9C and don't have a problem with throw. I do use the left slider though. Maybe move the pushrod out on the servo arm?

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-07-2006, 06:14 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Hi Dave,
I tried the longer double arm that came with the 5645 and that didn't help much. I'm going to keep playing with it. Worst case is to just use the knob. Do you normally just go to full flaps on final or do you ease into full on approach? Thanks.

Marty
Old 02-07-2006, 06:26 PM
rcguy!

Marty,
A few posts back has a few entries on this. A page or two at the most. MOSTLY half (30 degrees) is used. Maybe you have the flap horns installed incorrectly?

Dave Rigotti
Old 02-07-2006, 08:47 PM
John H.

read this first, about antennas. http://www.rc-cam.com/ant_exp.htm. i received my Reaction 54 last week. will be building it shortly. john
Old 02-07-2006, 10:35 PM
bobparks2

ORIGINAL: John H.

read this first, about antennas. http://www.rc-cam.com/ant_exp.htm
Some of you might need to delete the period character at the end of that link to make it work.

That report covers some useful tests, but it also does not cover everything relevant. They did their testing with a full wire antenna, with the TX and RX antennas parallel. This is the best case, but, our normal radios give range well beyond our visual limits in this case. The critical case, and what gives glitches, is the WORST case orientations.

The pilot can change the TX antenna orienation, and hopefully everyone avoids pointing the TX antenna at the model (worst case). However, you dont have a huge amount of control over the RX antenna orientation once the model takes off. If you do the typical thing and run the antenna to the tail, the RX antenna is going to be end on (worst case) for landing approach, or even worse, since the distance is greater, during parts of a turn around loop type maneuver.

The whip might be worse for the BEST orientation, but the tests did not compare the WORST orientation, and the rankings there could be very different.

The other big issue on jets is interference from the ECU/fuel pump, and possibly shielding from the engine. A good antenna that picks up a lot of interference, could be worse range than a whip without noise.

There have been some other, carefully done, tests, with a running turbine, where the Revolution whip was MUCH better than a normal wire, in the worst case orientations, than a standard wire going to the tail.

One set of tests was published in the JPO magazine about a year ago as I recall. It was a BVM Sabre, supported in a PVC pipe stand, with turbine at full throttle, with whip vs wire, with lots of orientations tested. The conclusion of that test was that the nose mounted whip was the best bet.

I wonder when we will get some ECU's that will handle brushless motor fuel pumps, and have really low EMI? It seems a bit ironic that our super high tech, multi kilobuck turbines rely on a $2 brush motor to move the fuel!

Bob
Old 02-07-2006, 10:45 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: bobparks2

I wonder when we will get some ECU's that will handle brushless motor fuel pumps, and have really low EMI? It seems a bit ironic that our super high tech, multi kilobuck turbines rely on a $2 brush motor to move the fuel!

Bob
I've always wondered about that. No doubt the brushless and controller would be a "Big New Development" and cost twice as much.[:@]
Old 02-09-2006, 04:19 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

hey Tommy Watson, some info that may interest you! Sent an email to Wren re FOD screen for the supersport. A 'factory' screen is now available but Sara mentioned that 1/ it's 85 pounds + postage and 2/ some machining is required on the front housing to suit.

I'll email her back & ask if the machining can be done 'in the field' and if this would effect the warranty. Seems silly to ship it half way round the world & back for a 5 minute machining job. - John.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:23 AM
WrenTurbines

I've answered John's mail, but I'll post the information here as well.

On a new SuperSport engine the machining of the intake/case front casting to fit the FOD screen has to be done before the engine is assembled, so it is designated from the very beginning as a FOD Screen version. With conversions, we thought at first that we would have to take the whole engine apart and start again with a re-machined intake, which would have been totally impractical. However, Mike Murphy has made some special tooling which allows an intake to be machined without the whole engine having to be dismantled. Nevertheless, it is much more than a 5-minute job, which is why it is fairly costly. The price is 100 GBP including VAT, of which 66 GBP is the FOD screen. Price outside Europe (without VAT) is 85 GBP plus post.

Sara Parish
Wren Turbines
Old 02-10-2006, 02:52 AM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for that Sara, saved me the typing! Yep, recieved your reply, within the hour I might add! - John
Old 02-10-2006, 03:44 PM
f6hlct
My Feedback: (4)

As you can see, things are going together great. Progress is being made with the plane starting to make small jet noises in my workshop.

I am currently thinking about the discussion on loaded whip antenna's. I have no doubt that they work, but at this stage, I am trying to make the choice. Has anyone watched for hit counts on and internal normal antenna? I am planing to put the pump and ECU in the V of the boat as one person mentioned. That alone sounds like a good idea. I just don't want to have an external antenna if it is not necessary.

I look forward to any comments on this topic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90289.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	405668  
Old 02-10-2006, 05:25 PM
rcguy!

ORIGINAL: f6hlct

As you can see, things are going together great. Progress is being made with the plane starting to make small jet noises in my workshop.

I am currently thinking about the discussion on loaded whip antenna's. I have no doubt that they work, but at this stage, I am trying to make the choice. Has anyone watched for hit counts on and internal normal antenna? I am planing to put the pump and ECU in the V of the boat as one person mentioned. That alone sounds like a good idea. I just don't want to have an external antenna if it is not necessary.

I look forward to any comments on this topic.
From my post #901....
I use the revolution whip and never had a failsafe count.....yet. Look around May, June, July of last year.

From post #904...
Found my post about the Revolution whip antenna install.
Page 16 post #397
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_24...16/key_/tm.htm

You can always run the full length antenna inside a tube as Bruce suggests.
I do know the revolution mini whip works fine and I have never had a failsafe count.

Dave

Old 02-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Why not use a full length whip and get the best of both worlds. No degraded range due to the base loading.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.