Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Byron BD-5J Ducted Fan

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Byron BD-5J Ducted Fan

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 03:33 AM
flyerGR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Byron BD-5J Ducted Fan

Hello. I have a simple question. I have seen in the field a friend hobbyist flying this jet-like plane. He has it for 5 years now, but its in a good condition. Let me tell you the specs. Its the Byron Model with the foam wings and fiber fuse. It has a K&B 100 DF engine and 2 fan units (one installed and a second for spare) from the Byron Company. Also, a Robbe on board Computer Unit for engine r/min, temp and altitude of the plane. He is selling it for 400 USD (used as i said before). He has a backup Rx Battery at 2500 Mah, Servos (Futaba, don't know the models) and the Rx. There are retracts installed, the ones from Byron (pneumatic as i saw in the field. I saw it flying and i liked it very much. He said to me that it can be converted to Turbine powered with some modification. Please advice me if its a bargain and also provide some info on its flying handling. I fly for 12 years now all type of planes, glow only. Thank you in advance.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:22 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Byron BD-5J Ducted Fan

for $400 RTf it is a steal . A unique airplane. I havent flown one but all the Byron Jets fly good and pretty stable...at least the ones I have flown...F15, F16. A4 and T33..........
Old 09-14-2006, 11:01 AM
ETOPS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a good deal! Rick
Old 09-22-2006, 03:07 AM
flyerGR

Greetings.
So, i took the model and the surprise is big. The model is not the one the fellow modeler was flying at the field. Is a second one he had bought in the past. So the model is brand new, with a 60% done. I am very confused about the completion of the model. I have some questions regarding the installation of the engine, the tuned pipe, the servos and the weight of the model. The engine he gave me is the K&B 100 VR DF rear carb. I put it in the shroud but it seems that the fan touches the shroud(?). Also the tuned pipe doesnt have any holes to screw it on the engine(?). Some servos needs to be installed on the front and others on the sides (rudder & elevator). Is there any issues regarding the servo extension cords i must use and the temperature of the engine (the cords will be closed to the engine(?)). I have put together the wings and saw that the model is waaaaay tail heavy. I put the engine on the shroud, some electrics on the front, including batteries, and the model doesnt seems to be well balanced. Its still waaaay tail heavy. Please advice me on those answers and i have more to come. Thank you in advance. If it is important for you to understand what i say, i can upload some photos.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:49 AM
flyerGR

No one here knows anything to answer my questions?? Maybe someone knows somebody that has flown that model and knows where i can contact that person for some info. Thank you.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:17 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Flygr, what you have is a standard Byron setup. You will need a silicone coupler for the pipe to the engine. It is basically a rubber hose that slips onto th epipe and onto a header that comes off the exhaust of the engine. The K&B 1.00 is not the best engine D/F. They have been known to throw rods. If you can get a OS 90 VRDF large head engine. The fan should fit tight in the shroud but not so tight as to cause restriction to the motor turning. If the plan is nose heavy , just add weight and move components around. Also heat for the servoes in the rear is not an issue for D/F. You will find that byron fans are messy. I gather you have not flown D/F at all, how aboutR/C ? How much have you flown?
Old 10-03-2006, 01:45 AM
flyerGR

ORIGINAL: Ram-bro

Flygr, what you have is a standard Byron setup. You will need a silicone coupler for the pipe to the engine. It is basically a rubber hose that slips onto th epipe and onto a header that comes off the exhaust of the engine. The K&B 1.00 is not the best engine D/F. They have been known to throw rods. If you can get a OS 90 VRDF large head engine. The fan should fit tight in the shroud but not so tight as to cause restriction to the motor turning. If the plan is nose heavy , just add weight and move components around. Also heat for the servoes in the rear is not an issue for D/F. You will find that byron fans are messy. I gather you have not flown D/F at all, how aboutR/C ? How much have you flown?
Greetings Ram-bro. I dont have the header that comes off the engine. The guy that sold me the model didnt have it at all. Can i buy that from the K&B company maybe? I cannot afford to buy an OS DF engine at this time, im gonna fly it with the K&B for the first times and maybe later i will go to the OS or to a turbine engine. The problem with the weight is that is way toooo nose heavy. If i ad weight to the front i think that the 100 engine will not take the plane to the air because of the weight. It is the first time i will fly a DF plane. I fly R/C glow for 12 years. Thank you.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:04 AM
zain

This model needs a turbine, The latest is Byron , now know as IronBay model company now is shutting down and it is going to be impossible for you to get parts, I am having this issue with my F-18 hornet which i am converting to turbine placed an order for parts six months ago and still no parts and finally two weeks ago got an email saying they are pretty much done with the company. Now i am trying to make all the parts from other companies what a PITA.

So if you are planning to go turbine some day make some sort of arrangements or duplicates that you can convert. As it will be very difficult for you to find replacements,
What does this model weigh.

Good luck
zain
Old 10-03-2006, 11:29 PM
ETOPS

flyerGR, Are you planning on flying it with the fan? Does the kit have the Byron construction plans? If so, finish it and get the CG right per the plans and it should fly well. Also the OS 91 is another engine to consider, it is reliable and there are still spare parts for it. Rick.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:37 AM
flyerGR

Greetings. The news for the BD-5J are: i order the header pipe for the tuned pipe from the K&B company. That solved the setup of the tuned pipe on the engine. I have install the engine on the airplane and i am waiting for the header to come over here. I have another question. The tuned pipe runs to the nose of the plane. Where are the gasses going to exit from the planes body? From the nose???? I cant figure it out what is going on with that matter. I also have another tuned pipe, smaller than the one the seller told me to use with the engine, which leads also to the nose but the end is sealed and at the side of the pipe goes another one end that leads exactly where the fun unit starts, just besides the engine. If you cannot understand what i m saying i can upload some photos. Help needed, thank you.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:57 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: flyerGR

Greetings. The news for the BD-5J are: i order the header pipe for the tuned pipe from the K&B company. That solved the setup of the tuned pipe on the engine. I have install the engine on the airplane and i am waiting for the header to come over here. I have another question. The tuned pipe runs to the nose of the plane. Where are the gasses going to exit from the planes body? From the nose???? I cant figure it out what is going on with that matter. I also have another tuned pipe, smaller than the one the seller told me to use with the engine, which leads also to the nose but the end is sealed and at the side of the pipe goes another one end that leads exactly where the fun unit starts, just besides the engine. If you cannot understand what i m saying i can upload some photos. Help needed, thank you.
How about looking at the one that is flying from your first post?

Dave
Old 10-17-2006, 06:04 AM
flyerGR

I cannot find him, either in the field or in the mobile telephone i have from the point we talked about the purchase of the model from him. I found out that he travels a lot in europe and i dont want to wait for him to come back here in Greece and then setup the plane. Im in a hurry, you know.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:26 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I also have another tuned pipe, smaller than the one the seller told me to use with the engine, which leads also to the nose but the end is sealed and at the side of the pipe goes another one end that leads exactly where the fun unit starts, just besides the engine.
That's the one you need. A Byron pipe routes the exhaust gases back through the fan. It gets quite messy, but it works.

Joe