Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Removing Flitemetal covering

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Removing Flitemetal covering

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:54 PM
kkn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Flitemetal covering

I recently bought a BVM T 33 from E bay at what I thought was a bargain price. It turned out to be in need of a full strip down and re paint. It is however covered in what I think is flitemetal covering or some other aluminium self adhesive tape. Trying to peel it off results in a top thin transparent layer peeling off with a now sticky aluminium remaining on the model.

I would really appreciate it if someone can tell me the easiest way to remove this covering.

Thanks

kkn
Old 02-28-2007, 01:38 PM
michael1
My Feedback: (34)

Default RE: Removing Flitemetal covering

You may be able to loosen the adhesive with a heat gun, pulling it back on itself as you heat it. The residule adhesive can be remove with alcolhol.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:55 PM
Jet Lag
My Feedback: (26)

Suggest heat also,but no more than a hairdryer or you will end up with damaged fiberglass.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:33 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

What you have doesnt sound like Flite Metal. There is no top thin clear layer over Flite Metal. Flite Metal is very hard to pull up, but will. Ive pulled up some before and it will come off but will sometimes leave a glue behind that goo remover will take off. If it wont pull up I would try to either sand it or recover it.
Scott
Old 02-28-2007, 03:13 PM
kkn

Thanks Guys,

I have tried heating it quickly with a blow lamp, but it just burns off the plastic top layer. Will try it with a hair dryer and goo remover. I cannot cover on top of it as there is some damage I need to repair in some areas.

Thanks again, will let you know how it goes.

regards

kkn
Old 02-28-2007, 05:22 PM
Hustler58
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Try Bestine . It take a lot but it won't hurt the model.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:32 PM
DAN AVILLA
My Feedback: (12)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think what you have is presto. I have use alot of it. When I remove it on a older plane it comes off the way you stated it. Just use a good lacker thinner. Some thing that has some kick to remove the silver and glue. You will be useing alot of paper towels. Dan Avilla
Old 02-28-2007, 10:47 PM
Fat Boy

3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, pt# 8984...works great, will not harm plastic, paint or gelcoat. Soak a rag or towel and place on surface...let it sit for a bit, 5 mins or so and the stuck stuff should lift right off.

Jeff
Old 03-01-2007, 12:29 AM
kkn

Thanks again everybody, will try the 3M or thinner solution as it seems much easier than heating. Will let you guys know. Thanks again

kkn
Old 03-01-2007, 01:11 PM
kkn

Hi,

I have tried the 3 M cleaner, and it works, but the top layer must still be peeled off. It is painstaking but works. Thanks for the advice everybody.

kkn
Old 03-15-2007, 12:40 PM
FliteMetal

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you do have a Presto covered plane. Its a termo-set plastic product, not aluminum. You can remove
its adhesive residue with Goo Gone lemon oil based solvent. The Presto clear is what prevents it from conforming
easily to the compound curves of a model. Flite-Metal has a "stretch" factor of up to 25% of area mass and doesn't
have retentive problems on compound curves. After using Goo Gone to remove residue, wipe entire surface down
with denatured alcohol to remove Goo Gone's oil residue.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:21 AM
FliteMetal

Originally Posted by kkn
I recently bought a BVM T 33 from E bay at what I thought was a bargain price.
It turned out to be in need of a full strip down and re paint. It is however covered in what I think is flitemetal
covering or some other aluminium self adhesive tape. Trying to peel it off results in a top thin transparent
layer
peeling off with a now sticky aluminium remaining on the model. I would really appreciate it if someone
can tell me the easiest way to remove this covering. Thanks kkn
After reading this I thought I should explain how this is "not" . is
real aluminum with an adhesive layer directly "beneath the aluminum" between a silicone release sheet and
the aluminum
. There is no transparent covering over the aluminum, nor is there anything sticky other than
the adhesive prior to its curing.

This material sounds like a metalized Mylar similar to that available in 5" wide strips. There are more than
one brand of Mylar and vinyl adhesive backed graphic "trim sheets". Some of these have a metalized back
coated adhesive coating on a clear plastic front layer. Removing these can be a problematic mess.

Removing is easily achieved with a hot air gun blowing onto the panel you desire to
remove. It is more often than not release all the adhesive with the aluminum if you are patient and evenly
distribute the heat.

Good luck removing and repairing what ever it is your BVM T-33 is covered with.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:59 PM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

I think you have the solution , could be flite metal that the builder clear coated.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:50 AM
FliteMetal

Hi Kelly,

Typically a clear coat can not be pulled away from as a layer. This sounds like Presto.
When removed, after a Prep-Sol wipe down there is no sticky residue or the aluminum coming up.

There are a number of people who think is a plastic laminate like Presto. After years
of defining the product they persist.

Last edited by FliteMetal; 11-17-2016 at 09:53 AM.