Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba FASST feedback and TESTING

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba FASST feedback and TESTING

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 03:37 PM
The Flying Scot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba FASST feedback and TESTING

Paul

I called Ripmax last week asking the same question as I was looking for a 12Z and there are none left in the UK but they can still be purchased in the USA.

They said there is no difference whatsoever and they have all the correct markings etc. They also said that it was okay to use them in the UK.

The only problem would be if I fitted a 35MHZ module due to the area coding. Also they said that they would not do any warranty repairs.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

ORIGINAL: Bax

It won't happen. The system is intended to be modular so that any legal RC channel can be used. The 2.4 GHz band is not used in all parts of the world, and there are a lot of modelers who are heavily-invested in the "standard" channels and are in areas where they really don't see a particular need for the 2.4 GHz FASST system. Remember, the "standard" channels all still work nicely. Nothing has made them become "bad" to use at most flying sites.

It very possible and doable, as JR has done, to have a Tx case that accepts both a 72/35/40 mhz module and antenna or a 2.4 ghz module and antenna... that would be a "modular" system and it would look very professional. While I like the Fut 14 MZ and the 12FG 2.4ghz, they look like an after thought (same with the spektrum add on 2.4 modules). I think they can be made to accomodate both systems. If only Futaba marketeers have pushed for it, the engineers at futaba could have easily done it...
Old 10-18-2008, 05:46 AM
Springbok Flyer

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bax

ORIGINAL: Springbok Flyer

Hi guys

Anyone know when Futaba will release the 2.4 gig 14MZ with the Rx antenna properly incorporated into the transmitter case yet?

Thanks

Springbok Flyer
It won't happen. The system is intended to be modular so that any legal RC channel can be used. The 2.4 GHz band is not used in all parts of the world, and there are a lot of modelers who are heavily-invested in the "standard" channels and are in areas where they really don't see a particular need for the 2.4 GHz FASST system. Remember, the "standard" channels all still work nicely. Nothing has made them become "bad" to use at most flying sites.

Bax

Then why is the 10 and 12 channnel 2.4's not modular?

Springbok Flyer
Old 10-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought it was.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:10 AM
GrayUK

So did I!
I have not seen non module Futaba systems.
Apart from the low end models.

Paul
Old 10-18-2008, 10:23 AM
turbinepeter

I have a 12fg with version 1.3 software.

I am looking to download the latest version, but does that mean I will loose all my Models on the existing software?

Thanks
Old 10-18-2008, 11:16 AM
BobH
My Feedback: (2)

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

No you don't lose any of your models. I've upgraded my 14mzh 3 times so far, a fantastic feature I think. The only thing that happens is that your software is made current with some additions etc.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:28 AM
turbinepeter

bobh

Thanks for the reply, will update now.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:34 PM
jetjohn

I am confused, please clear this up.[]

Is the USA 12FG O.K. to use in the U.K. & will it take a standard 35 mhz module???? & work legally.

Also am I correct in thinking the 10C is 10 full channels or 8 fully controlled channels & two switched no control channels??

Thank you,
John
Old 10-18-2008, 03:51 PM
The Flying Scot

John,

You would be better to call Ripmax technical dept. yourself to confirm this but I was told the the 12Z with 2.4 module bought in America was no different to those sold in the UK. Same output power markings etc. I was also told that there would be no problem using these sets at events in the UK. Originaly I thought that modules supplied in the UK had a lower output power but maybe that is just the spectrum modules.

There will be a problem using the 35MHZ modules because of the area codes.
Old 10-18-2008, 04:45 PM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

The 10C and 12FG are both module based. After looking at the 10C manual here http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/10c-2_4ghz-manual.pdf it looks like the 10C uses a lot of software from the 9C and channels 9 and 10 look to be NON PROPORTIONAL. On/Off only. I would confirm this with BAX but with the price of the 12FG right now on Towers website, anyone would be crazy to buy a 10C IMO. For 200 bucks more than the 10C you get a radio with tons more capabilities.

Marty
Old 10-19-2008, 12:26 PM
pilotpete2

Ehab,
While it may be possible to do it that way, it has not been done (yet)[&o]
The modular version of the JR 12X has the 2.4Ghz antenna integrated with the module, it is functionally identical to the Futaba TM-14 module and almost physically identical.
Only the non-modular version of the 12X has a 2.4Ghz antenna on the transmitter.
Pete.
Old 10-19-2008, 03:16 PM
Ehab

Yes, I understand. Futaba/JR could have easily made the antenna and the module as one unit for the 2.4 or the 72/35, but with the antenna in the proper location. Another words, the Tx cases would have to be redesigned to take care of this issue. I understand that both mfrs wanted to slowly migrate to the 2.4 but not realising that the 2.4 will take off as it did. For me. the present 2.4 systems look like an add on feature, and they are, and they do not look like they were designed from the start to accomodate the 2.4. The 2.4 12X looks like a 2.4 system should look like. I do forsee that all 2.4 systems will take note....soon!!!
Old 10-19-2008, 03:25 PM
afterburner

ORIGINAL: Ehab

Yes, I understand. Futaba/JR could have easily made the antenna and the module as one unit for the 2.4 or the 72/35, but with the antenna in the proper location. Another words, the Tx cases would have to be redesigned to take care of this issue. I understand that both mfrs wanted to slowly migrate to the 2.4 but not realising that the 2.4 will take off as it did. For me. the present 2.4 systems look like an add on feature, and they are, and they do not look like they were designed from the start to accomodate the 2.4. The 2.4 12X looks like a 2.4 system should look like. I do forsee that all 2.4 systems will take note....soon!!!
Yeah, but what happens in five or ten years from now if they change to somethinge else like 5.8ghz? Then there's no option other than buying a new radio. Chances are nothing will happen like that for a long time but I like the Futaba setup. The Spektrum with the wire hanging out the back is scary to me.
Old 10-19-2008, 07:58 PM
pilotpete2

With the old VHF bands, the antenna had to be on top so that it could collapse down through the radio. With 2.4Ghz. there is no need to have it on top. A FASST module with the antenna turned 90dg. across the back of the radio is much neater, fits very easily into the transmitter case without even having to change the position going from storage to flying.
I have no antenna on top my 9C, the hole is fitted with a nice black plastic trim plug from the hardware store. To me the antenna on the back is not an after thought, it's out'a sight and out'a mind
Pete
Old 10-19-2008, 09:49 PM
TommyWatson
My Feedback: (1)

Weatronic uses a "Patch" antenna.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96772.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	1055315  
Old 10-20-2008, 12:15 AM
Ehab

ORIGINAL: afterburner

Yeah, but what happens in five or ten years from now if they change to somethinge else like 5.8ghz? Then there's no option other than buying a new radio. Chances are nothing will happen like that for a long time but I like the Futaba setup. The Spektrum with the wire hanging out the back is scary to me.
The same will happen. They will design a module and antenna for the 5.8Ghz to fit the same cavity in the back of the Tx. So, you keep your Tx and just buy the new modules...The difference is the Tx looks well designed....
Old 10-20-2008, 07:18 AM
afterburner

ORIGINAL: Ehab

ORIGINAL: afterburner

The same will happen. They will design a module and antenna for the 5.8Ghz to fit the same cavity in the back of the Tx. So, you keep your Tx and just buy the new modules...The difference is the Tx looks well designed....
Ehab,
That is the point I was trying to make to you. I really don't think the Futaba setup is an issue.

Marty
Old 10-20-2008, 07:21 AM
GrayUK

I agree, the key is flexibility for now and the future.
Paul
Old 10-20-2008, 03:10 PM
jetjohn

Hi Guys,
Thank you for all the info regards USA 12FG & using it the U.K.
Just got this E-Mail from Futaba thought I would share it with you.

Dear Valued Customer:

Thank you for your Email.

A transmitter purchased in the U.S. will not be able to work with a 35 MHz module purchased in the U.K. That's because they would have different region codes. Also, the 2.4 GHz FASST module on a U.S.-purchased transmitter will not have the proper registration sticker and codes for the U.K., so its legality will be doubtful.

Ah well looks like I will have to buy a U.K. model. Without the discount you guys in the USA get.[&o]
All the best,
John
Old 10-20-2008, 03:21 PM
GrayUK

You could buy the tx and get the 2.4 module in the UK.
I have also read that the region code issue for 35meg can be cracked to take a UK module.
But it would be without support from Ripmax!
Try Inwood for the UK one, best price i found, and not a grey inport.

Paul
Old 10-20-2008, 03:24 PM
The Flying Scot

Thanks John,

Thats not what Ripmax told me last week I was told there would be no problem flying at events in the UK with the US supplied equipment.
Its just as well we managed to pick one up here in the UK.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:08 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The most puzzling thing! If everyone is upgrading to Futaba 2.4 systems, why are there so few if any used Futaba R5114DPS receivers for sale in the RCU Market Place and on that action site? Any ideas where all the old 72 R5114DPS receivers are going?
Old 10-20-2008, 05:15 PM
mongo
My Feedback: (15)

Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

dustbin....?
just a thought<G>
Old 10-20-2008, 05:18 PM
afterburner

ORIGINAL: 8178

The most puzzling thing! If everyone is upgrading to Futaba 2.4 systems, why are there so few if any used Futaba R5114DPS receivers for sale in the RCU Market Place and on that action site? Any ideas where all the old 72 R5114DPS receivers are going?
I sold mine a few weeks after I got the radio. I realized that with my memory, I'll end up shooting someone down so I'm slowly changing everything over to 2.4. I haven't flown anything on 72mhz for over six months at least.

Marty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.