Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Yellow Aircraft F/A-18C Twin (Two Engines) KIT Full Build BUILDER'S Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Yellow Aircraft F/A-18C Twin (Two Engines) KIT Full Build BUILDER'S Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 05:02 PM
DaveMatthews

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Yellow Aircraft F/A-18C Twin (Two Engines) KIT Full Build BUILDER'S Thread

True. however there are some other pitfalls with that method but hope it goes well given you only get one shot at joining the PU rubber. Tom, your model is looking good.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:15 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts
Default RE: Yellow Aircraft F/A-18C Twin (Two Engines) KIT Full Build BUILDER'S Thread

ORIGINAL: DaveMatthews

Hi Tom,

How you going to center the (2) moulds when joining the 2 halfs with the rubber poured and jelly set?

Dave

Dave,
Thanks for the compliments.. i've got a "centering" pin located where the axle is. the pin is a 1/4" OD piece of aluminum that is glued into the ply baseplate. I then put the tupperware (glad the GF didn't mind haha) "bowl" over the centering pin and glued it to the baseplate.

Here's what the right wing panel looks like so far... have one very light coat to put over the panel line details to get them to blend in. I'm not looking for them to match perfectly, as the darker primer under the light coat should help w/ the weathering effect.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:08 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Its tricky but you could always make both halves and let them cure then use adhesive to join them, theres some serious adhesives for PU out there.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:28 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: ianober

Its tricky but you could always make both halves and let them cure then use adhesive to join them, theres some serious adhesives for PU out there.

Ian,
I've seen what you are talking about.. the company i got all the PU from sells some that is supposed to "molecularly" bond the 2 pieces together... we'll see how 1 tire comes out w/ the sandwich method. if it works, i'll go with that method.. if not, we'll try others
Old 05-20-2008, 08:12 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Obviously I'm watching this with great anticipation! I'll be going through this mess within the next few weeks!
Old 05-20-2008, 08:32 PM
invertmast

Well.. Here's Terry's pane line and access panel technique complete And a little bit of weathering started. gotta get some chalk pastels tommorrow to finish the weathering on the wing.. but i gotta order my markings first. All of the rivet detail is about 4 hours worth of work, and thats JUST the top of the wing.. ugh... and i wasn't going to do this scale.. guess i kinda have to now. haha you'll notice the big paint chip missing from one of my "aluminum" tape panels. it kinda ticked me off at first that it peel that big of a piece off, but i think putting a random dab of paint on the panel will give it a nice weathered / chipped paint look. The other aluminum bits showing thru are where i just scraped a lil bit of paint off the aluminum tape.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:04 AM
invertmast

Here's the 2 mold halves for the main tires. Still debating on how i'm going to get the front tire off of the rims as they wont come off for the life of me.... anyone have any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59330.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	173.2 KB
ID:	953951  
Old 05-21-2008, 11:09 AM
DaveMatthews

cut it with a balsa knife. That is what I did
Old 05-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

Some new front tires?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:10 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Hi,

Some new front tires?
Shaun,
i've got some brand spankin new ones, just can't get them off the rims. PM me your paypal addy and the cost of a new front tire w/ shipping to 22812 and i'll get some $$ shipped off to ya
Old 05-21-2008, 02:52 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

are they hard rubber or original foamie style?

bro' I need to order a set of brakes from ya'. I'll give a shout L8R

buck

Hi,

Some new front tires?
Old 05-21-2008, 03:14 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: yeahbaby

are they hard rubber or original foamie style?

bro' I need to order a set of brakes from ya'. I'll give a shout L8R

buck

Hi,

Some new front tires?

Buck, i believe they are still the original foamie tires. Either way, i'll figure out some way of getting some rubber ones made. I thought mine would be easier to get off since they are somewhat old, but those things might as well be welded onto the rim they fit so tight. And i dont want to have to cut them off b/c i need them in 1 piece to get a decent plug out of em...

The Good news is, the first tire is done cooking. Only took about 2 hours for it to reach a semi-cured but EXTREMELY hard state.. pics to come soon

Here's the pics. unforunately, my mold shifted slightly putting the tire halves off center, so the first tire is unuseable, but no worries, i'll get the next ones right. The thread halves are only off about 1/16" so it "may" still be useable, just depends on if you want a "perfect" tire or not. haha

Old 05-21-2008, 03:32 PM
DaveMatthews

ORIGINAL: invertmast

Here's the pics. unforunately, my mold shifted slightly putting the tire halves off center, so the first tire is unuseable, but no worries, i'll get the next ones right.

This is what I thought would happen in my past post. but good first go.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:33 PM
DaveMatthews

When you do the front tyres you will have to make a cone to fit the tyre on the rim or it won't go on.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49099.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	954105  
Old 05-21-2008, 04:06 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: DaveMatthews

ORIGINAL: invertmast

Here's the pics. unforunately, my mold shifted slightly putting the tire halves off center, so the first tire is unuseable, but no worries, i'll get the next ones right.

This is what I thought would happen in my past post. but good first go.

I 'thought i had thought of everything to keep it from shifting, but my centering pin and then the 1 alignment pin i had around the outside circumference of the mold wasn't enough.. so i've put 5 alignment pins in place now, which should keep it from shifting. I'm also making up a small "tub" to put the entire mold in to keep it aligned that was as well.

And i'm beginning to wonder if the front tires dont wear out all that quickly, if it is even worth the hassle of upgrading the fronts to rubber.... I could let a pair of mains go for well under $100 that way..
Old 05-21-2008, 05:19 PM
SDCrashmaster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One way is to pour the first half of the mold. When cured, cut little triangular keys all around the "live area" then pour the second half. This also helps with any deformation between the two halves during molding.
You would at that point also cut your "Fill" and "Vent" channels. Then you could inject the material into your closed and mated halves. This would yield no flashing and a single piece without having to mate two halves during the process. Not a big deal for a few tires, but huge after about the 10th or 20th set.
I was wondering if the tires would look like foam in the final cure. I think dipping the tires in resin would seal them and create a smooth surface to mold from...and also allow them to be demolded easier and not have a foam-looking surface. I was even thinking that it may be rough to get the masters out of the mold as the molding compound might soak into the foam a bit and then cure. It's pretty closed cell foam though.
Looking good. And fun to do, right?
Also, I've found that removing to screws that connect the two halves of the YA mains wheels, without stripping one or two, can be challenging. Proceed with caution here.
Paul
Old 05-21-2008, 05:41 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: SDCrashmaster

One way is to pour the first half of the mold. When cured, cut little triangular keys all around the "live area" then pour the second half. This also helps with any deformation between the two halves during molding.
You would at that point also cut your "Fill" and "Vent" channels. Then you could inject the material into your closed and mated halves. This would yield no flashing and a single piece without having to mate two halves during the process. Not a big deal for a few tires, but huge after about the 10th or 20th set.
I was wondering if the tires would look like foam in the final cure. I think dipping the tires in resin would seal them and create a smooth surface to mold from...and also allow them to be demolded easier and not have a foam-looking surface. I was even thinking that it may be rough to get the masters out of the mold as the molding compound might soak into the foam a bit and then cure. It's pretty closed cell foam though.
Looking good. And fun to do, right?
Also, I've found that removing to screws that connect the two halves of the YA mains wheels, without stripping one or two, can be challenging. Proceed with caution here.
Paul

paul,
i like your idea about the triangular keys, i might have to try that. Ya know, i was a wee bit leary of the silicon molding rubber soaking into the wheels, but amazingly it is EXTREMELY easy to pry off of the foam tires. I can say, that the 95 duro rubber i'm using should last a LOOONNNGGGG time. these things are as hard as car tires! lol
Old 05-21-2008, 05:47 PM
ianober

Silicone molding is the best, hardly need mold release, if any, and it lasts a long time.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:59 PM
invertmast

Ian,
no lies there. i bought 3 can of Universal mold release thinking i would be going thru this stuff like hot cakes (like when molding fiberglass parts in fiberglass molds).. but i haven't even used 1/4 of a can yet...
Old 05-21-2008, 07:35 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ianober

Silicone molding is the best, hardly need mold release, if any, and it lasts a long time.

Can you bring some samples of your work with this to the Willow on screening night?
Old 05-22-2008, 01:17 PM
invertmast

First 2 "useable" tires are completed. again, their not perfect, but they are getting better everytime. I'm going to keep these 2 for myself since they are not "perfect" in what i'm expecting others would want. The test tire is extremely hard, and i can say that this could be the last set of main tires you'll ever need.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:44 PM
ianober

No, not really BW.

Those look great Thomas, should get some long life out of em. What is the shore strenght of the compound you used? 95A?
Old 05-22-2008, 01:45 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

nice work Thomas
Old 05-22-2008, 02:24 PM
invertmast

Well.. my markings should be here next week, so i guess i need to get busy and finish w/ the painting.. haha
Old 05-22-2008, 08:43 PM
invertmast

here's the second set of mains that have been completed.. these are goin off to texas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.