Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbine Restrictions during Burn Bans

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine Restrictions during Burn Bans

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 04:52 PM
dragonpilot
My Feedback: (38)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Turbine Restrictions during Burn Bans

There are millions of bad decisions. The problem with what has happened with the rule change, IMO, lies with a force of numbers. ARCA is my field. I love it and most of the guys there are great. I enjoy flying there and the comraderie.
Most of the guys fly prop stuff. I fly jets and EDFs. Most pilots at ARCA are sensible. There are some non-sensible ones like this guy named Chen who decided to hover his 3D foamie over the flight line while pilots were flying the pattern. Well, no one noticed he was doing this until my jet was coming by and after I saw him hovering and within a split second tried to dodge him he moved and crashed me.
While my jet was flying thru the air mangled the lipo flew out and landed on the asphalt. I immediately took the lipo and placed it in a ceramic container and place that on the slab of concrete because that is the sensible thing to do.
Lipos can catch fire and are not banned at the field but one needs to be sensible about procedures and handling.
That is the most important point here.

I don't care what it is, you need to be sensible about it. Dogs running around in the pit and flight areas is not sensible. but there is no ban on that at the field (or it is not enforced)

Bans are bad, because it does undermines the integrity of pilots. AMA does not have a turbine flying ban during burn bans, why?, well it was just stated above. Self police ing.
The great thing about Jet pilots is the self policing. The other great thing is the safety procedures that are in place that jet pilots adhere to.
I once saw a video of a wet start at a field (in Europe) where a jet caught fire and no one had an fire extinguisher and they were trying to put it out with a drink of coke. See, that wasn't sensible. That guy lost his jet cause he's a fool and his buddies should have policied him. Here, We have the AMA and sensible jet pilots.

The problem arises when jet pilots are being policed by non-jet pilots. This is simply and utterly wrong. This is not to offend non-jet pilots but when I wasn't a turbine jet pilot before, I couldn't possibly have the know how to make any kind of educated decision on how to go about that, let alone make a ban.

So that is the number one problem here. There is no way a non-jet pilot should be allowed to vote in a ban that would affect a jet pilot. Just like a non-heli flying pilot make a vote about helis. I like helis but I don't want them flying anywhere near me so I would vote to ban them flying. I'm just not comfortable with the idea of one crashing and a piece of the blade flying off and hitting me. So I'm biased but surely this isn't fair to the heli pilots who know about the blades and what happens when they crash and the peer to peer safety checking that exists among them. So me voting for a heli ban would not be fair. Do you see the point made here?

There needs to be a re-vote at ARCA where all jet pilots (with turbine waivers) are specifically invited and they are only the ones allowed to vote on a ban. And if the waivered jet pilots and only the waivered jet pilots decide to vote ban, would that settle this? I would think so. And if non-jet pilots decided to go thru the waiver process to vote in this, I think they'll see a greater understanding of the self-policing that goes on in the jet world.

If this doesn't make sense to everyone, let's ban everyone from flying.

For me, I'm going to hang out with some heli pilots and learn more about them. I suggest we all do the same, there is no room in this Hobby World of ours for a BAN on Fun based on bias. Education is power, let's all be willing to learn.
And for Sean's offer to buy the club more fire safety equipment, that's a no brainer and it would be a sad time if that falls on deaf ears....

Old 03-31-2008, 05:08 PM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Dragonpilot,

Well written sir.

Raf
Old 03-31-2008, 05:40 PM
My Feedback: (9)

This whole thread really ticks me off.
If I show up to a feild, and am told I cant fly because of a burn ban .
They better have it in the by laws and posted on the gate.
If jack ***** club officials want to do this, then they better include all aircraft
not just turbines . Which in turn will do away with the rule all together.

If you cant get along with the rule that are in place
by all means make more rules and PI$$ OFF
Old 03-31-2008, 05:45 PM

And another thing I some one dose not delete this post and the AMA gets a hold of it and changes rules then
I will do whats need to close it even If it means getting banned from rcu
Old 03-31-2008, 05:47 PM
ravill

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

Hmmm,

Dude ease off on the coffee!

We can all get along, really, I think...

Raf
Old 03-31-2008, 06:17 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[/quote]

Waco never had a turbine burn ban, but when the cronies from Austin contacted them, all of the sudden they followed suit (and they don't even have turbine pilots as members).

Seguin has followed suit.

[/quote]

I have to disagree with these two statements.

We were flying turbines in Waco two weeks ago and the president of the Waco club came to me and stated that they have put a ban on turbine flying during "burn bans" They were not contacted by "cronies" as you stated. Remember what happened up there last year or was it the year before. It took eight fire trucks on scene to finally put the fire out.

Now Bomberfield
Yes at this time you can fly turbines year round at that field. Unlike Austin which is owned by the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Dept, Bomberfield is a priviately owned (by one man) flying site. If a fire starts there it is his baby to deal with and not any government agency.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:18 PM
Synthetic
My Feedback: (18)

The AMA might just see this thread as the "Self Policing" that they want. That might not be bad if that's the case.

There have been some good posts here that are well thought out and very helpful to the jet community.

Don
Old 03-31-2008, 06:19 PM
dragonpilot
My Feedback: (38)

ORIGINAL: ravill

Dragonpilot,

Well written sir.

Raf
Thank you Raf, just stating what is right. There is no reason for an argument or a trial.

If The JPO and the AMA have the educated foresight and knowledge to make and change their rules based on self-policing, This should be no different at club level.

The answer is a simple re-vote by only ALL WAIVERED Jet pilots associated with the club. It can even be done via email. It's simple.
A thousand pages of evidence to support one theory or the other isn't needed.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:22 PM
dasintex
My Feedback: (10)

I posted this thread to get an idea how other clubs and areas in the country deal with Turbine operation during Burn Bans and of the perception that Turbines Cause Fires; I'm neither for or against Turbine Restrictions, I was just interested in what others think and like usual, threads get distorted and exactly what Greg Hahn was talking about in 'The Inside Loop' article he wrote in the recent MA Magazine(pg#6)
Old 03-31-2008, 06:26 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: bcovish

I have to disagree with these two statements.

We were flying turbines in Waco two weeks ago and the president of the Waco club came to me and stated that they have put a ban on turbine flying during "burn bans" They were not contacted by "cronies" as you stated. Remember what happened up there last year or was it the year before. It took eight fire trucks on scene to finally put the fire out.

As for as Seguin is concerned, they had there ban long before we did here in Austin.

Now Bomberfield
Yes at this time you can fly turbines year round at that field. Unlike Austin which is owned by the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Dept, Bomberfield is a priviately owned (by one man) flying site. If a fire starts there it is his baby to deal with and not any government agency.

Bob, I'm not talking about waco two weeks ago, I'm talking about you talking to the Waco guys two years ago.

As regards not answering to any government agency, since you have chimed in, please tell me how the five fires at Austin resulted in dealing with a government agency.

It's statements like that that create fear. You are suggesting that the next fire will result in dealing with a government agency. But that's not the case, is it. If it was, turbines would be banned year round, and lipo batteries would be banned as well. In fact, I understand there is a club member who is going to suggest at the next meeting that Lipo batteries be banned from the field, because when they crash, they could cause a fire. How much do people want to bet I can hire enough votes to get that through?

How much do you want to bet that if I follow through with the actions I have stated I'll be listned to, when I show pictures etc.

I kept all of this low key and private, I sent an email to the president of the club. He then copied everyone. Ok, I still did not go public. Then I went to the meeting and was demoralized. Trounced on you might say. Still did not go public. Then an AMA officer calls my home on Sunday night because the president of my club does not like what I'm saying. I still did not go public.

I've been quiet about this and tried to go through proper channels. You as a responsibly turbine waiver holder and pilot should not be saying "government agency" you should be standing by the facts that apparently there is no problem. You know, keeping it low key, like having steak dinners at the field with no health dept stickers. Well, now because the group decided to get all pissed off at me, everyone is having to deal with this.

Robin could have called me and said, "Your right Sean, we should revisit this, I'll bet with some research we can get this all worked out". Pat never said that to me, all he said was "We're not gonna deal with this right now".

Well Pat, you sure left if for the next guy.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:27 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: dragonpilot

ORIGINAL: ravill

Dragonpilot,

Well written sir.

Raf
Thank you Raf, just stating what is right. There is no reason for an argument or a trial.

If The JPO and the AMA have the educated foresight and knowledge to make and change their rules based on self-policing, This should be no different at club level.

The answer is a simple re-vote by only ALL WAIVERED Jet pilots associated with the club. It can even be done via email. It's simple.
A thousand pages of evidence to support one theory or the other isn't needed.

After three pages of stuff here, I think Tim has a good suggestion, let only the waivered turbine vote on this issue. My position won't change on this but at least I think it is a more fair way to deal with it.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:28 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

dragonpilot put it right on the money.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:30 PM
seanreit

Bob, changing your mind again? Roger has been telling people you told him your position had changed on this and you were going to vote for lifting the ban. I heard you say that. So what exactly has you flip flopping?
Old 03-31-2008, 06:32 PM
FTiano

What puzzles me is this. Aren't we supposed to help each other? Aren't we supposed to be a fellowship? We are already in the minority when it comes to modeling in general, at least as far as numbers are concerned. Yet here we are, discussing how to prevent one obviously bitter person from ruining the pleasure of others just because he feels that he isn't getting his way. We can talk all day about who did what in the past, what rules the AMA has and which ones are ridiculous, but the bottom line is that the majority of us think any person who wants to make it his "job" to insure that a flying club loses its field, is really off base. Why are we listening to his drivel?
Is this the kind of person you think deserves your respect? Perhaps this is not the proper forum for this, but in any other forum, in any other sport, anyone who publishes his intent to do harm to others would be banned from the community. Just as you would treat any trouble maker, whether he threatens your home, your hobby, your family or your livelyhood! There is no place for an individual like this in our sport! What kind of low life person makes threats like these? Anybody who does this sort of thing should be ashamed of himself.
FT
Old 03-31-2008, 06:38 PM
dasintex

Frank, since you have joined in, as we all know Florida isn't immune to Fires, how is Turbine Operation handled during Burn Bans in Florida?
Old 03-31-2008, 06:40 PM
dasintex

Looks like Frank did a 'Hit & Run'
Old 03-31-2008, 06:40 PM
seanreit

ORIGINAL: FTiano

What puzzles me is this. Aren't we supposed to help each other? Aren't we supposed to be a fellowship? We are already in the minority when it comes to modeling in general, at least as far as numbers are concerned. Yet here we are, discussing how to prevent one obviously bitter person from ruining the pleasure of others just because he feels that he isn't getting his way. We can talk all day about who did what in the past, what rules the AMA has and which ones are ridiculous, but the bottom line is that the majority of us think any person who wants to make it his "job" to insure that a flying club loses its field, is really off base. Why are we listening to his drivel?
Is this the kind of person you think deserves your respect? Perhaps this is not the proper forum for this, but in any other forum, in any other sport, anyone who publishes his intent to do harm to others would be banned from the community. Just as you would treat any trouble maker, whether he threatens your home, your hobby, your family or your livelyhood! There is no place for an individual like this in our sport! What kind of low life person makes threats like these? Anybody who does this sort of thing should be ashamed of himself.
FT

Frank, all I can say about that is, if everyone on this site raised their hand and gave you an honest showing of who I have helped, given equipment to, hauled their stuff around the country, built an airplane for for free, spent the night at my house for an event, spent the days in my shop with me giving my time, and materials, or called me up to do a turbine demonstration, when our club wanted a runway extention, I used my expertise as a government contractor to find a contractor that could do the work, then I negotiated a fair deal for the club. When OF's at our field won't fly that last flight because a child's parents brought them out too late for the show, I always unpack my stuff, light it up and go fly, and not only that I pull them to the flight line so they can see it right up close.

I do more for others and NEVER ask anything in return. I have done more for this club than most members.

You are uninformed.

I dealt with this issue as privately as it could and it went nowhere. I'm not asking for permission to break any laws.

And Frank, who said we are discussing preventing one bitter person. That is not what's on the table. If the club wants to somehow get me out of the picture, it does not change that I still have the ability to cause harm. Why not work with me rather than against me. I've offered solutions before, quoted your own JPO statistics. Some of them are the same you would use to argue in favor of RC jets.

My fiance just walked in and asked me what my real problem is.

I thought about it and said "If next Thursday, I want to schedule a flying day with my jet friends, we can't schedule it, because we don't know if on Wed, the county will put the ban back up, and the prop guys don't have to worry about that".

That's not fair.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:19 PM
seanreit

ORIGINAL: FTiano

There is no place for an individual like this in our sport!
FT
Do I need to make a list of guys that should be in the line in front of me? I assure you that your phone will be ringing off the hook if I do, and I would suggest they would be asking you why you are saying these things about me. There are many unsafe turbine waiver holders, and their are turbine waiver holders who I know of have lied on their forms in order to get a turbine waiver.

If I go public with that, it's not only them on the line, it's who signed them on the line.

This "Policing ourselves" position is bunk. There is an old boy thing going on here that because he is my friend, I will let a rule slide.

I'm not saying I'm 100% immune to this, but rather than ruffle the feather when I am aware, I would rather hold onto it for the day that everyone beats me up for not agreeing.

If you are not wise enough to understand that, I have no idea how you should be considered wise enough to lead the Jet Pilots Organization, which is an organization I have always held in high regard.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:30 PM
DavidR
My Feedback: (1)

Sean,

I can't believe that I have just read three pages of this drivel. I have know you since you started flying jets several years ago. I have watched as you attempted to force your "right"to fly your jet when you wanted to even if it meant that you felt that you should be able to hot fuel your airplane multiple times with no consideration for others waiting on the frequency pin. I have flown at the ARCA field at multiple jet meets over the last ten plus years and know the field. I have personally seen more than 5 turbine related fires including fighting several of them including the one that Steven spoke about earlier. While we all like to think we are good pilots and the risks of fire are not something that will happen to us personally the fact is it does. I crashed a Kingcat several years ago after a mid air at Waco and even though I got the engine shutdown it still caused a fire. It can and does happen more frequently with Turbines and when a burn ban is in effect any responsible jet pilot should accept that it might not be the best time to enjoy our hobby. To blackmail your club and try to get your way and if not your going to get the club closed shows your true character. You want to be combative instead of trying to "play nice with others". Who gives a rats *** what you have done for the hobby, a lot of us have done the same just because we enjoy flying model airplanes. If you get all the fields taken away where will you fly then? Grow up!

David Reid
Old 03-31-2008, 08:06 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

I don’t know if it’s still the case, but certainly until relatively recently the largest property damage claim that the AMA ever had, was reportedly for a fire. A fire started by a free-flight model.

The largest and most spectacular fire in the history of a club that I used to fly at, was caused by a glo-powered helicopter. Took something like 50 firefighters, 9 or 10 fire tenders, a bulldozer, and a CDF fire-fighting helicopter to put that one out. (And they had to come out TWICE, as it flared up again a few hours later).

The firefighters that came out for that one told us that a week before that, an equally large fire was started just a couple of miles away – caused by an R/C car.

I have witnessed several other cases where the reason that a fire started by a non-turbine model could not reach such epic proportions, is that there were turbine pilots present who were able to use their extinguishers to put those fires out – extinguishers which would not have been there at all if there had not been turbine activity at the club on those days.

The point I am making with the above, is that fire risk from non-turbine models is NOT as low as many people would like to think, and having the turbine guys present during “high fire risk” days has saved the day a few times – just because we are at least partially prepared for fire whereas the modeling community at large hides behind the “it could never happen with OUR models” myth.

I’m all for the turbine guys having voluntary no-fly times at clubs with high fire risk, as it can help with the community relations that allow turbines to be welcomed at a club. With that said, I believe that if the club decides that there should be a rule saying “no turbine flying during burn bans”, then perhaps they really ought to also add a requirement that fire extinguishers be present when non-turbine models are flown during such high-risk times. And what about Li-Poly’s ? Should those be used during a burn-ban, given their higher propensity for burning when punctured on impact ? Not only would a comprehensive solution to minimizing fire risk improve safety for the club, it would also reduce the risk of seeming political.

Fire from turbines DO happen, but they are not the “almost sure thing” that a lot of people seem to think. Several years ago, the fire risk was much higher than it is now, but improved designs, improved pilot education, improved regulations (failsafe shutdown, banning of plasma bags etc) etc., have all made turbine accidents considerably less likely to result in a fire than used to be the case. Unfortunately, we have not done a good job of educating others about this improvement, and so many “outsiders” still view turbines in the same way as the models from years ago.

There’s a cliché about “Perception IS reality” that comes to mind … if the modeling community at large thinks we are dangerous, then we have to fix that perception, not just keep fixing the reality.

Gordon
nicely said. You may have a point regarding the props and helis, but they still, on average, do not cause the type of fires that turbines do when they hit the ground hard. In my 30+ years of flying props I have never crashed one that blew up in a fireball much less even caught on fire (actually I've never had one catch on fire). Flying a jet during a burn ban is in my humble opinion irresponsible. Regardless if you are willing to accept the liability of it. On the other hand, maybe the same thing should be said for those large 33%+ props that have large tanks. Moreover, I would say that flying with Lipos should be banned to if Turbines are banned.

If you can't burn your garbage in a barrel during a burn ban, doesn't is stand to reason one shouldn't be flying a gallon of potentially explosive kero around dry vegetation?

Personally, I think every club should have fire extinguishers on hand for anyone to use. No flying anytime by anyone without them. That would be my club rule if I ran one.

ps - if anyone doesn't think that a lipo can be a fire hazard check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCWdn...eature=related

of course this is intentional overcharging. Don't know if this can happen from a crash alone.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:11 PM
just4u

I think Ftiano is way off base and is missing the point of this thread. When you start BANNING the activities of part of our RC community without any factual evidence (where are the stats showing turbines are more of a fire hazard than their other RC cousins, ie. lipos, gas engines, etc.????) where does it stop? Allowing this type of discrimination, widens the rift in the RC Community.

In addition, how does defiling someone's reputation help form a cohesive fellowship?

Our club is located in Homestead, Florida. We have had three fires to date. The first was my jet hitting the ground and the fire was quickly contained and put out with a fire extinguisher which I always have with me, just like my underwear. The second resulted from someone charging a lippo battery that caught on fire. The fire was extinguished by "the jet guys". The third was a foamie hitting the ground and set a fire to a nearby nursery. This pilot is now paying to replace the burned plants.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:58 PM
gunfighter

Sean - do you really think that making terroristic threats and / or intimidation is going to make the members move to your side?
Old 03-31-2008, 10:08 PM
Marvinf14
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well on despite to the club baning certain type of wing planes not to fly, how would a person feel that they cant fly for days if not weeks their plane, for example, the plane Sky Raiders are not allowed to fly or anything similar to it, then that would become a different story for Mr Gunfighter, and to say, i think people who smoke should be banned from smoking while at the field when Burn Bans happens....
Old 03-31-2008, 10:23 PM

Do you guys realize that if this gets to seriuos
that you can forget trying to scheduel a jet meet in the spring time any where
and if that dumb ***** el nino shows up again , the next 3 yeas
Old 03-31-2008, 10:41 PM
gunfighter

Marvin - you can get all hysterical if you wish. Unfortunately, this thread is bringing out hysterical emotional responces from several people. Luckily, there are many cooler heads that do bring reason and understanding to the Kaos.

The plain simple fact is that the jet pilots imposed the "no fly during a burn ban" on them selves. Now it is a rule at the club.

ARCA is a very friendly club, but when you put a gun to some ones head, as Sean is trying to do, they will react and that reaction may not be what you want. Threats of violence or revenge will never get a favorable response.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.