RCU Forums - View Single Post - Turbine Restrictions during Burn Bans
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2008, 06:26 PM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Turbine Restrictions during Burn Bans

ORIGINAL: bcovish

I have to disagree with these two statements.

We were flying turbines in Waco two weeks ago and the president of the Waco club came to me and stated that they have put a ban on turbine flying during "burn bans" They were not contacted by "cronies" as you stated. Remember what happened up there last year or was it the year before. It took eight fire trucks on scene to finally put the fire out.

As for as Seguin is concerned, they had there ban long before we did here in Austin.

Now Bomberfield
Yes at this time you can fly turbines year round at that field. Unlike Austin which is owned by the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Dept, Bomberfield is a priviately owned (by one man) flying site. If a fire starts there it is his baby to deal with and not any government agency.

Bob, I'm not talking about waco two weeks ago, I'm talking about you talking to the Waco guys two years ago.

As regards not answering to any government agency, since you have chimed in, please tell me how the five fires at Austin resulted in dealing with a government agency.

It's statements like that that create fear. You are suggesting that the next fire will result in dealing with a government agency. But that's not the case, is it. If it was, turbines would be banned year round, and lipo batteries would be banned as well. In fact, I understand there is a club member who is going to suggest at the next meeting that Lipo batteries be banned from the field, because when they crash, they could cause a fire. How much do people want to bet I can hire enough votes to get that through?

How much do you want to bet that if I follow through with the actions I have stated I'll be listned to, when I show pictures etc.

I kept all of this low key and private, I sent an email to the president of the club. He then copied everyone. Ok, I still did not go public. Then I went to the meeting and was demoralized. Trounced on you might say. Still did not go public. Then an AMA officer calls my home on Sunday night because the president of my club does not like what I'm saying. I still did not go public.

I've been quiet about this and tried to go through proper channels. You as a responsibly turbine waiver holder and pilot should not be saying "government agency" you should be standing by the facts that apparently there is no problem. You know, keeping it low key, like having steak dinners at the field with no health dept stickers. Well, now because the group decided to get all pissed off at me, everyone is having to deal with this.

Robin could have called me and said, "Your right Sean, we should revisit this, I'll bet with some research we can get this all worked out". Pat never said that to me, all he said was "We're not gonna deal with this right now".

Well Pat, you sure left if for the next guy.